PDA

View Full Version : switch from a wilson rok mid

orangeRetriever
05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi, i am a 4.0 high school varsity player. and i was just wondering if anybody has ideas for a racket that is less demanding than my wilson ROK mid.., it's a love/hate relationship. on good days when i'm focused and not tired i can hit any shot with decent pace and depth and rips are waiting for me to unleash.

but then there are the days when i'm tired or not focused.. then, it's not a pretty sight.. net, net, flying, frame... ect. so basically i would like a backup or replacement racket :)
i'm 5'6, pretty skinny, 122 pounds, and have good footwork when i try.

so far i'm looking to demo the:
yonex RDX midplus/mid
slazenger pro x1
volkl tour 10 mp gen II
volkl v-engine 10 mp

any other suggestions? please comment on the feel and stiffness of these rackets compared to wilson prostaffs, thanks alot =D

TennisD
05-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Why not try some Head Prestiges or Radicals?

William Bedford
05-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Go for the Yonex RDX 500 mid....

orangeRetriever
05-17-2005, 06:07 PM
tried the liquidmetals.. ugg, like many others describe it, tinny. so many of my friends fell into the craze and with out any foreknowledge bought a liquid metal radical or prestiege.. i know of three who were sorry for wasting their money after 3 weeks.. i promise, i gave it a good try..

tarkowski
05-17-2005, 07:07 PM
The Wilson nCode six-one 18x20 could be a good option. Dense string pattern like the Rok, but a bigger sweet spot and more power. A little heavier, but I find it is still manuverable on my bad days. 16x18 even more forgiving, but probably a lot more powerful than what you're used to.

ffrpg
05-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Another vote for the RDX500 Mid. It's less demanding than the Rok.

billyboybeacon
05-17-2005, 08:10 PM
I give a vote for the volkl v-10 mid..huge sweet spot and even on off days it is easy to hit

mucat
05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey orangeRetriever, I am around the same build, 5'7", around 135lbs. I even have a similiar racket, I use to play match with my PS 6.0 85, too small, too heavy, too demanding for match plays. I switched to TiRad OS, it is bigger, lighter and more powerful, it transforms my game to bit higher level. While oversize might not be what you are looking for, give the radical mp a try.

yip kok kuin
05-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Try liquidmetal radical or for that matter any radical with 18X20 stringbed. You got more comfty and more powerful with the same tension. Or lower your tension. Rok is a very nice racket. But the recommended tension seems too high. Very little power or control at that tension. Unless you are a top-spinner that keep brushing the ball. If not, the feedback will probably kill your interest in tennis by now.

orangeRetriever
05-22-2005, 05:50 PM
thanks yip =D. sigh.. radicals don't really suit my taste.. though they did hit ok, i think i just prefer prostaffs.. mabye i'll give it a try again though, heads are more user friendly i guess. i string my rok at 52-53 pounds would anyone reccomend going lower? i think it's fine as it is.. on most day's that is.

anybody have insight on the rackets mentioned above?

Flatspin
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
The RDX 500 mid was impressive .... the best newer frame I've hit with in some time! easy to hit with ..... forgiving for a mid size ...... nice feel ... smooth .....
Best Yonex ever IMO!

Fuzzless
05-22-2005, 08:23 PM
orangeRetriever, i would say all four of the racquets you named are very appropriate choices. if you're up to using something with a bit more weight, you could try the ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE, which is what I currently use. Some nice power. Having never used a frame that is "unforgiving", i can't comment on its relative forgiveness on off center hits. i don't find it that hard to maneuver, maybe because in spite of its weight it is 9 points head light compared to your ROK's 5 points head light, or maybe because i've been using it for half a year. assuming you are planning on demoing these?

raven5288
05-22-2005, 09:07 PM
the LM prestige=tinny?!? hey man, if you're looking for a good 18x20 that gives back whatever you put in, the LM prestige is the way to go. Maybe it was the strings that you tried out, cause the X-one biphase/hurricane hybrid I have in my LM prestige MP is far from being "tinny". Seriously, give it another go (preferably with some good strings), you might like it.

Coda
05-22-2005, 10:22 PM
the X1 will swing much lighter. Demo that one, it has a tad muted, prostaff feel that you seem to enjoy. You could also go for the PS 6.0 95 as well...very similar racket with more of an old school feel. I really wouldn't recommend the n6.1 95 dense pattern because that nano stuff makes the racket extremely muted.

Azza
05-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Give the NXG Mid a rip...

I think you'd be quite surprised...

AndrewD
05-23-2005, 02:03 AM
I enjoyed the LM Prestige and its my current stick of choice but Id definately second the notion that it's 'tinny'. Really needs close attention paid to string choice.

You're a bit all over the shop with those racquet choices, the Yonex and Volkl being quite soft and the Slazenger far stiffer. Slaz is great for serving, volleying and slice so if that's your game Id give it a try. The t10mp GenII is very soft in feel and, truthfully, I didn't find it to have the best control. The v-engine version might be a better option (I think its a better racquet) and ups the power levels without going overboard. The RDX500mp is very comfortable but I found it to be a bit too soft. The mid has great write-ups so you might want to check that one.

Most will be a jump up in power and flex compared to the ROK but I guess it all depends on what sort of headsize you'd like to use. Going on the way you describe your game Id be a bit wary of using something significantly over 12 ounces.

Speedy_tennis
05-23-2005, 07:31 PM
try a mid plus stick, you not are so big, im muscled 6'0 feet and 175 lbs,and a prestige is a heavy racket

ragnaROK
05-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Volkl C10 Pros

for somethign less demanding, id recommend the Yonex RDX500 mid

gokou703
05-23-2005, 11:58 PM
i'm too a young player who's about your size...5'8'' 145 pounds 4.0-4.5. in my opinion i think that when picking a racket the most important thing is how well you can play with it when you're physically or mentally fatigued, not when you're fresh or even moderatly tired. basically how well you can play with it when everything is on the line and you are pushed to your limit. i too feel like i can play with a demanding players racket, and usually i can. I used the pog mp for about a year but after reviewing my matches i noticed that my level of play with that racket was much lower than i wished it could be late in matches. i consider the rok a very demanding racket, and in my opinion i think that it might be extremely hard for most of our size to weild such a demanding racket during crunch time. of course theres exeptions. but at least in my experiences it seems true. i went back to my ti radical oversized and added about an ounce of weight in the handle. it works for me, and i have a lot of confidence that i can win when it matters. if you're open to it, think of some tweener rackets around 98-100 square inches that you can just add weight to. i tired a prince shark mp which was customized to about 12 ounces with a very head light balance, and it felt sweet. i know they aren't players' rackets but if you get more wins in the end i'm sure people would respect your decision...