PDA

View Full Version : Science of the Sweet Spot - Are some sweeter than others

Tennis312
05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I've been wondering about this for a while and it came to the fore this weekend when switching from a Head Liquidmetal to a Wilson n6.1 Tour 90 (demoing both). While I noticed the Tour 90 had a smaller sweet spot than the LM, when I hit in the sweet spot of the Tour 90 it felt better than any shot with the LM, no matter how well hit. I'd describe it as the LM's sweet spot was larger, but diluted and the Tour 90's was smaller but concentrated. Does this make sense? Has anyone else experienced this? The LM was more forgiving overall -- more shots went in, etc. -- but when I hit the ball in the sweetspot of the Tour 90 the ball did exactly what I intended and went exactly where I intended. I learned tennis with wood racquets -- the Kramer Auto mostly -- and that may have something to do with it. I just felt a greater connection to my abilities or lack thereof with the Tour 90 even though I, over all, probably didn't play as well. This is not specific to the LM or Tour 90; I've experienced this with other racquets, it was just more noticable since I used them back to back. I think something is lost in expanding the "sweet spot" into an ever-increasing "sweet zone".

snoflewis
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
well...it also depends on head size...what size is your liquidmetal? because i have the prostaff tour 95, and ive used my friends LM 2, but i didnt really like the feel because you cant really "feel" the ball hitting the racket...but at the same time, i used my triad 4.0 OS and i couldnt feel the ball either...so i think its got to do with the headsize as well

FREDDY
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
but when you discover the sweet spot its the best feeling you can get when playing tennis.

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
I tested a head racquet ... can't remeber which one it is. It had the "anti-torsion" bar in the throat and had parts which where painted yellow. Can't find it on TW so it might be old stock.

It was the strangest thing I have ever felt in a tennis racquet, when I hit the sweet spot I could not feel a thing, it was almost like I didn't hit the ball. The only problem was that I couldn't tell where I had hit the ball.

BreakPoint
05-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Yes, not all sweetspots are created equal. Some are definitely "sweeter" than others. Most player's racquets tend to have smaller but sweeter sweetspots. Take the PS 6.0 85/95 for example. They have the sweetest sweetspot known to man. So sweet that when you do hit that tiny sweetspot, it feels like sin, i.e., literally better than sex. Of course, not all racquets feel this way. That's why the PS 6.0 is still so popular. The Dunlop Max 200G also had a very sweet sweetspot.

I find most of the modern lightweight, stiff racquets do not have very sweet sweetspots.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Don't forget the Volkl C10 Pro MP!

BLiND
05-18-2005, 02:27 AM
I think what your talking about is that on a wilson, which is a stiff frame, with 16x18 strings... the string bed deflects a lot more than a Head, which is much more flexible frame, and 18x20 strings. To get the string bed to deflect more you need to sting low tension... but you'll never get the same feel because the frame flexes much more than a wilson.

For me, while its nice when you hit the sweetspot on nCode Tour... when you don't quite hit it, its a HORRIBLE feeling... where on a Head Prestige Mid it has a larger sweetspot, and even when you misshit slightly it still feels good.

Its whatever you prefer.

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-18-2005, 03:31 AM
So does a "sweeter" sweetspot allow any advantages such as more power/control ... or is it just the feel?

OR is the size of the sweetspot directly influenced by the stiffness of the frame and it is the stiffness of the frame which will affect the difference in properties?

BLiND
05-18-2005, 04:15 AM
The stiffer the frame the more powerful the racquet, because the frame doesn't absorb as much bounce, and the strings deflect more.

I don't think its sweeter... its just different

sandro
05-18-2005, 04:33 AM
also, the flatter you hit, the more pronounced the "sweetspot effect" is.