PDA

View Full Version : Best stick for a wristy forehand

nextNalbandian
05-17-2005, 05:22 PM
I have a very wristy forehand and it has always been that way. I've tried changing it but I play so much and so many tournaments that the only real option is to live with what I have. So I was jus wondering if their are any sticks in your alls opinion that would better suit a wristy forehand and any racquets to stay away from.

yip kok kuin
05-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Have you actually tried to tie down your wrist wit a wrist guard.

yvp
05-17-2005, 11:55 PM
A friend of mine has a very wristy forehand too,he uses the Prince TT Scream MP and seems to love it.

mido
05-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Increase grip size of your racquet.

LickyMYwalker
05-18-2005, 10:07 AM
ive seen some crazy wrist people use the Bab PD so that could be an option

man-walking
05-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Increase grip size of your racquet.
eh?
I don't have great experiences from my wrist with larger grips.

SC in MA
05-18-2005, 01:19 PM
I generally use 12oz+, HL rackets, which I think helps eliminate any tendancy for wristy shots. In other words, my shots are not wristy when I use this type of racket.

When I've tried even balanced (or head heavy) rackets that are light, my shots seem to become wristy.

stc9357
05-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Boy on my hs tennis team has a wristy forehand he uses a pd+.

nextNalbandian
05-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the input I use a Quantum V1 which is pretty light and even balance and I think that might be the problem. This is totally off the topic but I demoed the N Six one 95 today and it felt really good. Are their any sticks that feel pretty identical to the N Six One.

Gaines Hillix
05-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Demo a POG Mid or a PS 6.0 95. I think you'll like both.

slice bh compliment
05-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Big grip, heavy, head light = all good for a player with wristy tendencies (me too).
Since you are familiar with the Volkl feel, try the Tour 10 V mid (or maybe the midplus) in a nice large grip. They go up to a size 6, which is nice.

The real solution, though, is to study high speed video of the professionals actually NOT using a great deal of wrist until AFTER contact. I always thought Haas and Federer looked pretty wristy...until I saw them at like 300 frames per second or whatever it is on the best instructional websites.

nextNalbandian
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I do have fairly small hands so I'm not sure how far I can go up in gripsize. And I'm used to a bigger hitting surface(102) so do u think that I will be able to trasition to a smaller heavier frame in the heat of tournament season. I'm playing tourneys every week now and I dunno if it would be worth it to try and change now.

ZoomUltraflight
05-19-2005, 03:56 PM
well, i use the HPS 6.1 95 and i have a semi-wristy forheand, which is very good. usually a heavier rakcet will be able to give youa more stable hit, but also maybe try closing your racquet grip-depending on what grip you use, because that might work.

nextNalbandian
05-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm one of those people who has alot of different strokes and when I go out to play and one isn't working I switch to another one and play that way for a match, then the next match I find the stroken that will allow me to get the ball in against that player. It drives my coachs insane but they realize that it is what helps me to win many matchs against players who are much better. I really don't have a set grip but it's usually somewhere between western and semi-western

Coda
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
playing that way would drive me crazy too

nextNalbandian
05-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks Mido you're a lifesaver. Just when I thought my forehand had hit rock bottom i tried your suggestion of building up the grip and it worked beautifully. It stopped a good bit of my wristy tendancies.