PDA

View Full Version : I need a new trimmer/weedwhacker....

*breaksracquet
06-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I've gone through two electric trimmers in the past 3 years I'm tired of it :mad:. I'm looking into getting a gas powered trimmer. there's a mom and pop hudson's hardware/do-it center down the road from my house that carries stihl, toro, echo, and husqvarna. Home depot has the brand Ryobi. Lowes didn't have a great selection. I'm leaning toward toro and echo since those are what I regularly see used by the gardening companies around my area. Ryobi has a good selection, but I read some reviews and they are hit and miss, middle of the road, but have plenty of attachments for the straight shaft trimmer. Does anyone out there use and operate a gas powered trimmer? What should I be looking for in a gas trimmer? Are they hard to maintain? Is mixing the oil and gas hard? Thanks for your help!

Don't want to spend too much, possibly look into it at pawn shops if I can find a decent one for a good price as well. Looking to spend roughly $175-200 or less at a pawn.

MAX PLY
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a gas Toro and have had it for 10+ years--works like a charm. Not much to maintain--just keep it clean like any other garden tool. Mixing the gas and oil is easy--oil comes pre-measured per gallon--I use a small 1 gallon gas can, add the pre-measured amount of oil and fill with gas--no sweat.

r2473
06-11-2010, 11:28 AM
When you say electric, do you mean that you actually had to plug it in while using it or were you using one with a rechargeable battery?

The Black and Decker I have with a rechargeable battery has more than done the job for me for the past 6+ years. Plenty of power and I have not had to get a new battery in all this time. Much easier to use than the gas ones (no starting trouble, etc) and much quieter.

Now, if you are running a professional lawn service, get a nice gas powered Stihl, but if this is just for personal use, I would get one with the rechargeable battery.

jrod
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I had a Toro electric one (rechargable) for years and years. It lasted until we moved into our new house, which unfortunately has a much bigger yard and lots of gardens. So I bought a gasoline & oil one, which is much more capable but a complete pain to maintain (compared to near zero maintenance for the electric one). In the spring it never starts so you either have to know how to deal with small motors or bring it someone who does. I finally gave up and hired a lawn service. They do a great job with their industrial grade gas powered ones.

*breaksracquet
06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
When you say electric, do you mean that you actually had to plug it in while using it or were you using one with a rechargeable battery?

The Black and Decker I have with a rechargeable battery has more than done the job for me for the past 6+ years. Plenty of power and I have not had to get a new battery in all this time. Much easier to use than the gas ones (no starting trouble, etc) and much quieter.

Now, if you are running a professional lawn service, get a nice gas powered Stihl, but if this is just for personal use, I would get one with the rechargeable battery.

It was an actual plug-in electric trimmer. reason for the gas and oil one is that i would like to get attachments for it ine the future such as a brush and hedge trimmer as I have a larger lawn that has lots of overgrowth. I don't mind the work, I just need the means in order to do it.

Thank you again everyone, still looking for more insite. Are there no other homeowners out there?

r2473
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
You can buy nice hedge trimmers with rechargeable batteries too. Again, my Black and Decker works great. Each of these cost me around $60 some 5 years ago or so. Still going strong. I looked at gas at the same time, but they were too expensive for decent ones and the cheaper ones were just crap (like the Ryobi crap you reference in your opening post. Wouldn't give you a nickel for that stuff. Headache waiting to happen).

What do you mean by a brush? What kind of attachment is that?

EDIT: I think I know what you mean by brush now. One of those things that can clear small trees and thick grass (in other words, brush). OK, then you probably do need a gas powered one. As someone said above, these small engines can be a PITA if you don't know how to work on them. In that case, I would recommend getting a higher dollar unit (like a Stihl). At least it will work when yo need it to. Nothing worse than fixing small engines when what you really want to do is yard work.

jrod
06-11-2010, 02:08 PM
What do you mean by a brush? What kind of attachment is that?

EDIT: I think I know what you mean by brush now. One of those things that can clear small trees and thick grass (in other words, brush). OK, then you probably do need a gas powered one. As someone said above, these small engines can be a PITA if you don't know how to work on them. In that case, I would recommend getting a higher dollar unit (like a Stihl). At least it will work when yo need it to. Nothing worse than fixing small engines when what you really want to do is yard work.

I believe that Stihl is what the commercial guys use on my lawn. The attachments to do brush are actually metal blades from what I recall. You need decent muscle to work those things for any length of time....

marsh
06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
The Husky and Echo are reported by pros to be the best. For any clarification check out lawnsite.com.

alcap26
06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I would not hesitate to buy a Stihl, Husky, or Echo. I personally own Echo but it is because that is what my locally owned hardware store carried. Not a huge fan of Toro.

Geezer Guy
06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I've had a "Grass Hog" weed whacker for several years and had no problems with it, other than I had to replace the rechargeable battery once.

papatenis
06-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Living in So. Cal., yard duty is year round. I buy my yard equipment from were the gardeners buy them.

When you buy commercial quality equipment, it will last for a long time.

CanadianChic
06-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I've gone through two electric trimmers in the past 3 years I'm tired of it :mad:. I'm looking into getting a gas powered trimmer. there's a mom and pop hudson's hardware/do-it center down the road from my house that carries stihl, toro, echo, and husqvarna. Home depot has the brand Ryobi. Lowes didn't have a great selection. I'm leaning toward toro and echo since those are what I regularly see used by the gardening companies around my area. Ryobi has a good selection, but I read some reviews and they are hit and miss, middle of the road, but have plenty of attachments for the straight shaft trimmer. Does anyone out there use and operate a gas powered trimmer? What should I be looking for in a gas trimmer? Are they hard to maintain? Is mixing the oil and gas hard? Thanks for your help!

Don't want to spend too much, possibly look into it at pawn shops if I can find a decent one for a good price as well. Looking to spend roughly $175-200 or less at a pawn.

You created a thread for this? It's a weedwacker, not a house or a car. Just mosey down to your nearest Home Hardware (or geographical equivalent) and buy one.

Bartelby
06-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Most of this website is devoted to worrying about buying a tennis racquet valued at the same price as a weedwacker!

Maybe the site should be closed down with the following advice: mosey on down to the pro shop and just buy one!

Seriously, there's less that can go wrong with a tennis racquet, I assure you.

You created a thread for this? It's a weedwacker, not a house or a car. Just mosey down to your nearest Home Hardware (or geographical equivalent) and buy one.

Bartelby
06-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I try not to involve myself with the yard, but research tells me that down under everyone speaks highly of the HONDA brand for such tasks.