PDA

View Full Version : Can the United States win the World Cup?

arwor
06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Of course, it canít.

Kunohara
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Nice topic bro.

r2473
06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Sure. We win the World Series every year (except when those damn Canadian team win).

Ross K
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
It's not going to happen, I'm afraid... for betting people, I say put your money on Spain and England! I also wouldn't be surprised at all for an African nation to do very well indeed.

Ross K
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
It's not going to happen, I'm afraid... for betting people, I say put your money on Spain and England! I also wouldn't be surprised at all for an African nation to do very well indeed.

OMG... let's not forget Brasil and Argentina either!

babbette
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Poor USA why did you even enter? :(

I feel sorry for the Americans that actually love football but all Americans are more interested in baseball, US football, and basketball. All the americans serious about football should immigrate to Europe.

jimbo333
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
USA have as much chance as England, so no, they can't win the World Cup!

Ross, I honestly don't think England will reach the quarters unfortunately, I think they will struggle to get out of the group actually.

JustBob
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
http://cdn.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

jimbo333
06-11-2010, 12:55 PM
England's group looks easy!

But England havn't played well now for years. We don't play as a team, but as a group of individuals. Basically we rely on our top players and if Rooney plays well we will win the group, if not, I think we are in trouble.

statto
06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
In answer to the question: No :|

malakas
06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
as much as Murray winning the French Open.

West Coast Ace
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Of course, it canít.Correct answer. They'll make it to the knockout stage. And get knocked out.

OMG... let's not forget Brasil and Argentina either!ARG will win. But don't forget that the US was up 2-0 on Brasil - only their coach's (apparent) switch to defense in the 2nd half snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Poor USA why did you even enter? :(
See above - they're going to advance - which will put them ahead of many Euro teams, who have the pick of the athletic litter in their countries. Kickyball in the US is comprised mostly of kids from overprotective parents. And 'sloppy 4ths or 5ths' after other sports.

as much as Murray winning the French Open.His favorite surface! LOL! :)

jigar
06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
They have won world cup/series in Baseball, Basketball, American Football every year since they formed the major leagues.

r2473
06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
They have won world cup/series in Baseball, Basketball, American Football every year since they formed the major leagues.

Except '92 and '93 World Series ;-)

CanadianChic
06-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Not unless every other team pulls out. Sorry but the U.S. has less of a chance than Mexico.

JustBob
06-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Sorry but the U.S. has less of a chance than Mexico.

Not according to FIFA rankings:

1 Brazil 1611
2 Spain 1565
3 Portugal 1249
4 Netherlands 1231
5 Italy 1184
6 Germany 1082
7 Argentina 1076
8 England 1068
9 France 1044
10 Croatia 1041
11 Russia 1015
12 Egypt 967
13 Greece 964
14 USA 957
15 Serbia 947
16 Uruguay 899
17 Mexico 895
18 Chile 888
19 Cameroon 887
20 Australia 886

FeŮa14
06-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Those rankings are quite strange, quite how Portugal are 3rd I don't know. Over the past two years in qualifying they have been absolutely awful, they only just managed to qualify.

JustBob
06-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Probably because the rankings are based on the results of the past 4 years. Prior to the 2006 World Cup, they used the past 8 years (of results) so the rankings looked downright bizarre at times.

BorisBeckerFan
06-12-2010, 02:06 AM
It would be nice to see Spain play well. Would love to see them face Brazil or Argentina later on.

baseline_monster
06-12-2010, 02:26 AM
there is more chance of manchester united winning the superbowl

CanadianChic
06-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Not according to FIFA rankings:

1 Brazil 1611
2 Spain 1565
3 Portugal 1249
4 Netherlands 1231
5 Italy 1184
6 Germany 1082
7 Argentina 1076
8 England 1068
9 France 1044
10 Croatia 1041
11 Russia 1015
12 Egypt 967
13 Greece 964
14 USA 957
15 Serbia 947
16 Uruguay 899
17 Mexico 895
18 Chile 888
19 Cameroon 887
20 Australia 886

Rankings mean nothing at tournaments like this. They are merely standings...they do not show the potential of a given team including any and all extenuating factors involved, so while I thank you for posting this reference, I stand by my post.

aceX
06-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Of course, it canít.

Of course you did.

babbette
06-12-2010, 06:49 AM
It seems many of the countries have at least one player that plays for another international team.For example South Korea just scored 2 against Greece and their star player usually plays for Manchester United.

I really thing if USA players swallow their pride and admit they could do with some help they could improve. Some players should train overseas.

malakas
06-12-2010, 06:52 AM

they have won WC in basketball every year?LOLOL :mrgreen:
I think someone has selective amnesia here.

Don't get me started on the made up "world series" name of the baseball league.

r2473
06-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Don't get me started on the made up "world series" name of the baseball league.

27% of the players are from foreign countries.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9121458&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

dr325i
06-12-2010, 07:31 AM
The USA may pass the group stage and that is the end -- will not pass Germany or Serbia in the next round...
Everything beyond the group stage would be a surprise IMO.

The rankings are a joke...Russia, Croatia, Egypt, Greece...give me a break, just based on some previous (long tim ago) successes...

malakas
06-12-2010, 07:40 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9121458&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

so what?:confused: it is still the american championship not the world cup or anything "world" about it.

r2473
06-12-2010, 08:54 AM
so what?:confused: it is still the american championship not the world cup or anything "world" about it.

All I really mean is that baseball is starting to get more of an international participation. Especially in the Latin American and Asian countries. It's just that the best players play in the major leagues (and the other baseball leagues of the world really don't matter).

The NBA is similar and I think a similar numbers of players in the NBA these days are foreign born:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_NBA_players

So in a sense these are not "world" games like soccer (football), but in a sense they are. In some ways they can be seen as "world all star teams".

In some sense soccer is not dissimilar. The best teams pay for and grab all the best talent. I don't know much about the World Cup, but I assume each person plays for their country (not for their club). So it is similar to the World Baseball thing that they are trying to get going (but isn't going so well).

malakas
06-12-2010, 09:11 AM
All I really mean is that baseball is starting to get more of an international participation. Especially in the Latin American and Asian countries. It's just that the best players play in the major leagues (and the other baseball leagues of the world really don't matter).

The NBA is similar and I think a similar numbers of players in the NBA these days are foreign born:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_NBA_players

So in a sense these are not "world" games like soccer (football), but in a sense they are. In some ways they can be seen as "world all star teams".

In some sense soccer is not dissimilar. The best teams pay for and grab all the best talent. I don't know much about the World Cup, but I assume each person plays for their country (not for their club). So it is similar to the World Baseball thing that they are trying to get going (but isn't going so well).

That's all very nice to hear however:
every best team and championship get the best players wherever they're from.Still noone calls the premier league world league.
World goes only where there is an international tournament,UNLIKE the baseball american championship which is not.

samprasvsfederer123
06-12-2010, 09:16 AM
argentina can do it.

SempreSami
06-12-2010, 09:22 AM
It seems many of the countries have at least one player that plays for another international team.For example South Korea just scored 2 against Greece and their star player usually plays for Manchester United.

I really thing if USA players swallow their pride and admit they could do with some help they could improve. Some players should train overseas.

Clint Dempsey plays for Fulham, Tim Howard's at Everton, Demerit was at Watford last time I looked.

Breaker
06-12-2010, 09:27 AM
^^ Also Altidore at Villareal/Hull.

Dave M
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Well untill they get knocked out they've got a chance, so they could win it.

babbette
06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Clint Dempsey plays for Fulham, Tim Howard's at Everton, Demerit was at Watford last time I looked.

Really? Did not know that. Well if they're in the US team maybe they can help.

r2473
06-12-2010, 10:35 AM
That's all very nice to hear however:
every best team and championship get the best players wherever they're from.Still noone calls the premier league world league.
World goes only where there is an international tournament,UNLIKE the baseball american championship which is not.

Yes, the way each sport is organized (and the history behind it) is interesting. The naming of each individual league, tournament, etc. is also interesting. I can see that you assign great importance to an (arbitrary?) name given to these specific leagues and tournaments. I assign more importance to the component parts and don't really care what name is (arbitrarily?) assigned.

Enjoy the WORLD cup.

JustBob
06-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Rankings mean nothing at tournaments like this. They are merely standings...they do not show the potential of a given team including any and all extenuating factors involved, so while I thank you for posting this reference, I stand by my post.

Wel Mexico did manage to get a tie against the 83rd ranked team in the world (which is 20 ranks lower than Canada), so maybe you do have a point. ;)

jms007
06-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Wel Mexico did manage to get a tie against the 83rd ranked team in the world (which is 20 ranks lower than Canada), so maybe you do have a point. ;)

She's right, FIFA rankings mean jack **** most of the time. Mexico is better than US, sorry. Historically and H2H.

JustBob
06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
She's right, FIFA rankings mean jack **** most of the time. Mexico is better than US, sorry. Historically and H2H.

Ok forget the rankings then.

Odds:

USA 66/1
Mexico 80/1

Anyway, useless debate since neither the US nor Mexico will win the World Cup.

West Coast Ace
06-12-2010, 01:45 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9121458&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlbYeah, but that's because the US baseball is where the big bucks are.

Malakas, you're right, World Series is a bad name. But when it was created we probably did have the only baseball league. You're not grumpy because Greece got destroyed earlier today, are you? :)

Really? Did not know that. Well if they're in the US team maybe they can help.Better stick to being a Nadal honk... :)

Mexico is better than US, sorry. Historically and H2H.Not lately, amigo! Our 8th string athletes are whipping Mexico's rear.

To the question: no. But they can make it to the final 16 and might luck one win out.

Dilettante
06-12-2010, 10:39 PM

On the contrary, some US guys play/played in Europe (some in Spain I recall) and for any American football player the biggest pride is playing in Europe, just like for any European basketball player the biggest pride is playing in the NBA.

So I couldn't disagree more about the pride thing: I'm sure they're proud of having some players that are actually appreciated in Europe. If you're good enough to be appreciated in Europe, you made it. Also that should and will make a difference for American football overall quality as it does for Asian football too.

The way of improving American football(soccer) was not hiring Pele, George Best or Beckham, really. The only way is getting American players playing in Europe. That is making the US team a better team each time.

Of course they can't win the WC by now, but they are NOT and will never be again the "joke team" that they used to be. Now in Europe the American team is taken seriously.

The Spanish commentators and newspapers, at least, talk about US team with much more respect. In the past losing a match against the US "soccer" team would've been a freaking disaster. Today, is not impossible to conceive. See England taking barely a draw yesterday. This is another US team than the one we use to know in past decades.

malakas
06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but that's because the US baseball is where the big bucks are.

Malakas, you're right, World Series is a bad name. But when it was created we probably did have the only baseball league. You're not grumpy because Greece got destroyed earlier today, are you? :)

Better stick to being a Nadal honk... :)

Not lately, amigo! Our 8th string athletes are whipping Mexico's rear.

To the question: no. But they can make it to the final 16 and might luck one win out.

No I'm not of course.Otherwise I would be grumpy pretty much all next month lol.This discussion actually started before our match.

Yes, the way each sport is organized (and the history behind it) is interesting. The naming of each individual league, tournament, etc. is also interesting. I can see that you assign great importance to an (arbitrary?) name given to these specific leagues and tournaments. I assign more importance to the component parts and don't really care what name is (arbitrarily?) assigned.

Enjoy the WORLD cup.

every name is a symbol and that particularly name symbolizes no..not just symbolizes actually screams : ethnocentrism and arrogance.That's my issue.

Thank you.I hope you can enjoy it too.;-)

SempreSami
06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I love West Coast Ace's arguments.

"Nerr we're good at other sports."

dParis
06-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Relax. It's a marketing inspired title from way back and has become part of tradition. Get over it. :roll:

NickC
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Historically? Like the asskicking we handed you in the R16 of Japan/South Korea 2002? Or like when you've never beaten our "A" team on US Soil? The only time Mexico beat a US team was last summer, when our U-20 "C" squad lost to more or less the same that lined up against South Africa on Monday. Dude, I used to live in Mexico, I know all about football down there. We own Mexican football. Period.

Please be somewhat informed before you post garbage like this. In the 2007-2008 season, 1/5th of the English Premier League started American keepers. And that's just keepers, we've got plenty of players playing in leagues all over Europe.

jerriy
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Technically it is a World series.

You only need a minimum of two countries in order to make something a world or an international event.

So, as long as the Canucks participate in the MLB, there's no need to harp on about this issue.

OKUSA
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
usa have about a 1 in 943 chance of winning

NickC
06-13-2010, 03:27 PM
http://cdn.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

Easy, eh? Which is why after the first matchday, England are 3rd out of 4th in the group, below the "Yanks" (we're Americans, by the way, not "Yanks" or whatever stupid name you want to call us) and the Slovenians, whose captain couldn't get a game at WBA in the second division?

Love the arrogance!

quest01
06-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Yes the US can win the world cup, we tied yesterday against England but we should have beat them. Who cares what Eurotrash and other foreigners think of US chances in the World Cup they don't live in the US so they have no clue about anything about the US.

malakas
06-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Technically it is a World series.

You only need a minimum of two countries in order to make something a world or an international event.

So, as long as the Canucks participate in the MLB, there's no need to harp on about this issue.

no,when the rest of the world don't even have participation rights.

malakas
06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Relax. It's a marketing inspired title from way back and has become part of tradition. Get over it. :roll:

I know it was supposed marketing,however some posters here seem to believe that the name holds truth which is amazingly arrogant.I am relaxed thank you.:)

JustBob
06-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Looks like the British and US rags are having a competition. :)

http://i.imgur.com/YDjND.jpg

bpp
06-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Historically? Like the asskicking we handed you in the R16 of Japan/South Korea 2002? Or like when you've never beaten our "A" team on US Soil? The only time Mexico beat a US team was last summer, when our U-20 "C" squad lost to more or less the same that lined up against South Africa on Monday. Dude, I used to live in Mexico, I know all about football down there. We own Mexican football. Period.

Yea, I swore we destroyed them in 2002 WC knockout stages, have a major H2H advantage over the least 10 years, and finished ahead in CONCACAF qualifying for the last 2 World Cups.

samprasvsfederer123
06-13-2010, 09:08 PM
On the contrary, some US guys play/played in Europe (some in Spain I recall) and for any American football player the biggest pride is playing in Europe, just like for any European basketball player the biggest pride is playing in the NBA.

So I couldn't disagree more about the pride thing: I'm sure they're proud of having some players that are actually appreciated in Europe. If you're good enough to be appreciated in Europe, you made it. Also that should and will make a difference for American football overall quality as it does for Asian football too.

The way of improving American football(soccer) was not hiring Pele, George Best or Beckham, really. The only way is getting American players playing in Europe. That is making the US team a better team each time.

Of course they can't win the WC by now, but they are NOT and will never be again the "joke team" that they used to be. Now in Europe the American team is taken seriously.

The Spanish commentators and newspapers, at least, talk about US team with much more respect. In the past losing a match against the US "soccer" team would've been a freaking disaster. Today, is not impossible to conceive. See England taking barely a draw yesterday. This is another US team than the one we use to know in past decades.

quite right. and yes the spanish commentators, well in the spanish speaking world like in central america the us team is held up so much more, even more so than in the us, im from spanish parents, born in central america, so i know.