PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Dark Side.....thanks!!!

Benjamin
02-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's help over the past week or two concerning some racquets to demo. I just placed a demo order and I'm ashamed to say it but I've ventured over to the "Dark Side" :twisted: (as someone here put it)!

Since my curiousity got the best of me :roll:, and they were all in stock at the same time in a 4 1/2" grip, I ordered the Babolat Pure Drive Standard, Babolat Pure Drive Plus, Babolat Pure Control Standard (97), and the Babolat Pure Control Standard Midplus (100).

I know that many people have warned me about how bad the Pure Drives are, but some things you just have to discover for yourself (even if it does cost you $15.50).

I'll try to have a complete review/comparison up by March 6th for anyone who cares to read it.

Again, thanks for all your help and patience.

Benjamin

Grimjack
02-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Nothing "bad" about the PD, even though I've personally told you in the past that I didn't care for them. (On other board as john acre.)

As long as you like a racquet with a good bit of pop and a lot of spin potential, and a racquet that feels and plays pretty stiff, you won't be disappointed in the PD.

Personally, I've got a tender elbow, so it wrecked me pretty good. (Picked mine up before I became aware of the possible difficulties on that front.) Plus, my volleys are such that I tended to push them long with that frame. It wasn't for me. BUT I also hit some of the most amazing, heavy, deep, penetrating groundies of my life with it. Wasn't worth the cost to my arm health, but for people with sound elbows and the desire to crank the ball, the PD is WELL worth the look.

Ronaldo
02-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Just remember pain is your friend, Benjamin. It keeps you from falling into the abyss. It tells you that playing pain-free and with confidence is more important than the cheap thrill of a forehand winner or ace from a stiff racquet from the darkside. But, I could be wrong

kreative
02-23-2004, 01:03 PM
welcome....welcome to the darkside bishop. once you've had a taste of darkness you'll never want to go back.

galain
02-23-2004, 01:09 PM
R.I.P.

Brothers and sisters, let us pray.............

(j/k - have fun with it Ben)

The Franchise
02-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Benjamin, I am your father. I've said it before in these forums, and I'll say it again, Team Babolat will take over the world. But young Benjamin, this is only a test. In order to officially be in our world, you must PURCHASE a Babolat racquet. I trust you will make the right decision, and sooner rather than later, you will be among the walking lords of the universe. Muahahahahaha!

@wright
02-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Enjoy the horns and tail you'll be growing within 3 hours of ordering Babolat racquets. Animals will run away and hide at the very sight of you, not to mention you will smell of tennis ball fuzz and old socks.

Jim
02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
:D Please let us know what you think of them. I love my PD standard. I also tried adding lead tape and found that it played better for me without any added weight. Jim

Jonas
02-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Bishop,
Don't give in to your hatred and fears. This will only lead you further down the path of the "dark side". The evil empire (babolat) will systematically suck all of the feel and creativity out of your existing game. The red pure controls are the official stick of the "syth lords".
Not really, I just got a little caught up in the star wars analogies:) I never really cared for any of the babolat frames, but i'm old-fashioned. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Ronaldo
02-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Babolat is not a disease, it's a failing. You've turned it into a church. You worship the altar of pure power. I come to this room for one reason, to remember what I don't want to become... helpless, impotent, and weak. To avoid the Darkside. And anti-inflammatories. And straps.

Rabbit
02-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Have no fear, brothers and sisters of the fold. Young Benjamin's foray into the land of Evil will be a short one. He will be in Babolat purgatory for only a few hours and then he will reascend back to the land of Prince.

The Prince Original Graphite is his stick,
It is everything he needs,
It rests his arm,
It leans against the bench while he drinks the cool waters during changeovers,
It gives him ball speed,
The POG will keep him on the path to continual improvement.
Yea, even though he demo in the shadow of the valley of Babolat and does not take lessons,
Benjamin will fear no new racket.
He always has his POG to fall back on.
He strings his POG with poly...
in front of his opponents.
He wins many trophies with his POG.
Surely goodness and mercy will come to us all...
When Benjamin decides to quit demoing....
And Benjamin will live in the house of Prince forever.

With many apologies to the 23rd Psalm.

Can I get an amen?
:wink:

Baseline
02-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Amen -- brother Rabbit!!

Ronaldo
02-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Quit demoing?????.....................you cannot be serious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morpheus
02-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Ain't nothin' gonna save you from a love that's blind
When you slip to the dark side you cross that line

@wright
02-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Those who venture into the land of power will be punished absolutely as precipitous fire falleth from the sky as the day of retribution draws near. Children, I have hit balls with Saints and walked in the Promised Land with Estusa Power Beam, and none shall enjoy times finer than these. May those uncertain poor souls be spared of the crimes they hath committed, the stiff racquets they have run to, as they themselves knoweth the wrong they have done. Let us cleanse ourselves and our friends of the putrid stench of the wickedness of babolat.

bcaz
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Behold and beware Benjamin, (original) (graphite) Prince of Darkness!!!

Benjamin
02-24-2004, 04:55 AM
A-MEN MY BROTHERS!!!

I AM DOOMED TO TEST THE WATERS OF THE DARK SIDE, BUT I SHALL RETURN A BETTER MAN. IF IT IS NOT MEANT FOR ME TO RETURN, PLEASE LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THE DOUBLE WHITE STRIPES ARE EVIL AND LEAD DOWN A ROAD THAT IS BEST NOT TRAVELED BY BETTER MEN.

MY SOUL HAS BEEN TORN FROM THE PATH WHICH IT KNOWS IS TRUE BY THE FEELING OF POWER. I MUST HAVE POWER, POWER, AND MORE POWER.

THE COST MAY BE VERY GREAT. AN ELBOW THAT SHOOTS PAIN, AN EGO THAT IS CRUSHED BY THE PLAYERS KNOWN AS BACKBOARDS, BUT YET I FEEL THE NEED TO LEAVE THE JEDI LIFE BEHIND AND SEE WHAT AWAITS ON THE DARK SIDE. SOMEONE GIVE JAR-JAR MY LOVE (BUT NOT MY POG MIDS).

BENJAMIN

Rocky Top
02-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Master Yoda: "Not ready you are. The longing for power will against you work. The double line has grown strong."

Jedi Bishop: "I'm not afraid!"

Master Yoda: "You will be..."

@wright
02-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Benjamin, the Pure Drive + is your father. Don't go to Pure Drive to rule the land with power. Use your own power to rule the court.

mach1
02-24-2004, 02:06 PM
When in doubt...let the POG be your guide.
hahahah this is funny stuff

Jonas
02-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Jedi Bishop,
The changing of your light-saber is the first move in the long twisting road to the Dark Side! Use the Force to harness your racquet demoing addiction and stick with the weapon of the jedi knights(pogs). May the force be with you....