PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a new racquet...

Kai
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Hello, I am a 17 years old, I used to play tennis in summer camps for 4 or 5 years when I was younger but havent played for about 6 years. Got back into playing tennis very seriously about a year ago and played for my high school tennis team this year. I would say im a 3.0 player on my way to a 3.5 level.

Currently I am using a Prince TT Graphite Mid @ 62lbs. I have been using this racquet since I have gotten back into the game but I am not 100% happy with it. It is not very manuverable at the net along with a few other things.

I am looking to switch to another racquet. I have a good serve, other players say its better than most people at my skill level. I play mostly at the baseline and rarely come into the net because the TT Graphite feels really akward at the net. I am currently considering the following based on reccomended by teammates and have begun to demo some from a local shop....

I was just wondering what are your opinions on the following racquets....

Prince Diablo MP - kinda leaning more towards this one...
Head LM Prestige MP - currently demoing this one
Wilson nPS - planning to demo when availiable

or if you have any other reccomendations i would be happy to hear what you all think is good

Steve H.
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
The TT Graphite never really caught on, not a very successful design, so you can certainly do better. For a player of your age and level I would suggest a 100 sqin frame with swingweight between 310 and 320, this will give you a decent sized sweetspot and a good balance between substance and maneuverability. If you get enough power with the Graphite mid, the flexible Diablo MP would be a good choice, you might also consider the Wilson Surge (original or nPro), ProKennex 5g or Laver S, or Babolat Pure Control MP. The Prince Original Graphite oversize is also a great frame for a wide range of players, maybe worth a look. Any of these would be a good step up and can take you a long way as your game develops. Hope this helps.

NGreenwald42390
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
i play with the diablo mid and i like it.. only i think and heard it can be as u say awkward at net.. this is the mid tho

NScat23
05-18-2005, 11:41 AM
i currently use the nCode nps. It took a day to get used to, but i've been playing the best tennis that i have ever played. I beat 2 people who i havnen't beat before, and i play with these guys a lot. I strongly recomend you demo this racket. And the fact that it's a ProStaf shold be reason enough to demo it.