PDA

View Full Version : Is This World Cup Argentina's?

samprasvsfederer123
06-13-2010, 08:13 PM
what do you think that argentina's chances at winning the world cup are? i think they did a good job against nigeria, and with good playing and luck can make something out of it. im new to soccer but this team of messi, tevez, heinze, run by maradona, looks good.

coyfish
06-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I think they certainly have a chance but its too early to tell. They have good players but the real question is how well can they play together. Their match against Nigeria wasn't anything to brag about. Have to wait and see how the other teams look.

West Coast Ace
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Yes. All of the EU teams have flaws/injuries. Brazil doesn't have their usual strong team. It's ARG's tournament to lose...

SempreSami
06-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Methinks it's a bit premature to say that when they were utterly dreadful in qualifying.

They were wasteful in front of goal against Nigeria and their defence will probably get shown up when they play against someone whose players don't panic the minute an opening comes up for them.

Then again, when a team has Lionel Messi in it, anything's possible I suppose.

Feña14
06-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't of thought so.

I still think it's between Brazil and Spain.

Dilettante
06-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Of course they're one of the big favorites so obviously they have a significant chance.

The WC is a KO tournament though, so you never can predict what's gonna happen.

cesarmo03
06-13-2010, 08:58 PM
i dont think so, maradonna just try to make a plan that look pretty on camera but meaningless on the field and making a lot of player move to one side of the court to another like changing higuain from left to right with tevez. if it wasnt for messi making his awesome individual plays argentina wouldnt have that many chances that nigerias goalkeeper save.

bezs
06-13-2010, 11:06 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/reuters/20100612/17/611570583-12062010172521.jpg

With him in charge NO. I still cannot comprehend how he can choose not to select Cambiasso. With him in charge they had trouble qualifying and i don't rate him as a coach/manager at all.

I hope they don't win this because if they do his head is going to swell up like never before. Even if they do win it it wouldn't be down to his tactical prowess but more due to the unity of the players.

Chelsea_Kiwi
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM

With him in charge NO. I still cannot comprehend how he can choose not to select Cambiasso. With him in charge they had trouble qualifying and i don't rate him as a coach/manager at all.

I hope they don't win this because if they do his head is going to swell up like never before. Even if they do win it it wouldn't be down to his tactical prowess but more due to the unity of the players.

This. Also their finishing was very poor and they need to get those chances in big matches instead of missing them. The game against Korea will be interesting as Korea is a team in form at the moment and a well organised side.

coyfish
06-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Korea always comes out strong and composed. They always have a good all around team but never have enough physicality / presence to win against the big guns.

jerriy
06-14-2010, 12:44 AM

With him in charge NO...One thing is not in doubt though: it's gonna be epic.

Cuz everything that involves him is epic (whether it be epic success, epic failure, epic accident, epic escape... whatever happenes with Maradona, one thing you can count on for sure: epicness is literally guaranteed :mrgreen:

Dilettante
06-14-2010, 12:55 AM
One thing is not in doubt though: it's gonna be epic.

Cuz everything that involves him is epic (whether it be epic success, epic failure, epic accident, epic escape... whatever happenes with Maradona, one thing you can count on for sure: epicness is literally guaranteed :mrgreen:

I agree.

Everything related to him is bigger for the best or for the worst.

PimpMyGame
06-14-2010, 03:17 AM
I think Germany will win.

AAAA
06-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Other pre-tournament favourites like Brazil, Spain and Italy haven't played yet so it too early to say. Messi looked good in the opening match but José Mourinho and Inter Milan showed how to shut him down and make him irrelevant for most of the match.

Spain have a very impressive line up to choose a team from. Will they play well as a unit? Can't write off Brazil because of their history in the world Cup and they are Brazil. The Germans as 'always' raise their form in the World Cup, they are big tournament performers especially in mentality.

jmverdugo
06-14-2010, 05:56 AM
I think Germany will win.

+ 1 so far the more solid team, I think Alemania will win.

jerriy
06-14-2010, 06:14 AM
LMAO! Maradona blowing a vuvuzela that's as long as half his height

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbDNV57eV6c

http://im.htspor.com/2010/06/11/522854_detay.jpg

Breaker
06-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Brazil/Spain/Italy/Germany/Holland/England would all be favoured over them at this point I'd think.

They're on the same level as Portugal in that they have a lot of talented players up front but their defence and midfield eventually could let them down in a bigger game.

FloridaAG
06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Not likely with Maradona - lack of tactics will be exposed. I hope Messi is able to play to his ability for the National team though

Jennifer
06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Brazil and Spain are the top contenders and are putting on a great show.

malakas
06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
It's spain's to lose,not argentina's.

It's football predictiosn on the winner of such a tournament is mostly useless.:)

Brazil/Spain/Italy/Germany/Holland/England would all be favoured over them at this point I'd think.

They're on the same level as Portugal in that they have a lot of talented players up front but their defence and midfield eventually could let them down in a bigger game.

I don't agree,I think that Holland Germany and England are below them as favourites and I have to wait to see about Italy.

Feña14
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM

As much as I love Italy, they aren't winning it this year i'm afraid!

I see Argentina more of a match with Holland. The way both teams have such strong attacking capabilities (Messi, Tevez, Di Maria, Higuain, Milito and then Robben, Sneijder, van der Vaart, van Persie, Kuyt, Elia). They have similar strengths in midfield and then a slightly weaker defence and goalkeeper.

jms007
06-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't say it's theirs, just judging by the first game. Too much reliance on Messi and defense was king of lacking. Out of the top teams that have already played I'd rank them like this:

1. Germany
2. Argentina
3. Holland
4. Italy
5. England
6. France

Feña14
06-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't say it's theirs, just judging by the first game. Too much reliance on Messi and defense was king of lacking. Out of the top teams that have already played I'd rank them like this:

1. Germany
2. Argentina
3. Holland
4. Italy
5. England
6. France

Italy above England? After watching Italy tonight, England must be worse than I thought! :(

jms007
06-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Italy above England? After watching Italy tonight, England must be worse than I thought! :(

Hmm well that one might be a toss up. I mainly placed them above England because Paraguay is actually a very good team and I felt like England should have beaten the US.

NickC
06-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Hmm well that one might be a toss up. I mainly placed them above England because Paraguay is actually a very good team and I felt like England should have beaten the US.

Could'a, would'a, should'a...all I hear is blah blah blah we're a better team blah blah blah, the fact of the matter is that the match ended in a tie, no matter who the better team was. If England was that much better, they would have found a way to get all 3 points. The US is a very good team as well, but no, nobody ever could think that, imagine the horror that the world's most powerful nation actually has a decent team? God forbid that a team that beats Spain (who in turn absolutely schooled England) is a considered an above-average team?

jms007
06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Could'a, would'a, should'a...all I hear is blah blah blah we're a better team blah blah blah, the fact of the matter is that the match ended in a tie, no matter who the better team was. If England was that much better, they would have found a way to get all 3 points. The US is a very good team as well, but no, nobody ever could think that, imagine the horror that the world's most powerful nation actually has a decent team? God forbid that a team that beats Spain (who in turn absolutely schooled England) is a considered an above-average team?

Dude, relax. I was just speaking from a "favorites" stand point. The US does have a decent team and the can stir up things sometime. I don't even like England (was actually cheering for the US)...but that said..for all of the stars that England has, it was definitely closer than it should have been.