PDA

View Full Version : Vuvuzelas: Horns of Satan.

Dilettante
06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
One of the interesting things about the football World Cups and the Olympics is watching the different behaviour of the local fans at the stadiums. Every country has distinctive ways of cheer and celebrate and it's always fun to see.

So you could say I'm somewhat eager for cultural colouring of these big events. And I'm NOT in favor of moaning about small things, but this vuvuzela thing... I've honestly never seen anything like that. It's so annoying that ruins the matches even on TV broadcasting. Not only are they unbearable to the viewer (I can't imagine what is being on the stadium like), but also the typical and epic atmosphere of big football matches is totally gone. You can't even hear the [normal] audience reacting. Even players say they get annoyed and distracted but the psycho bees buzz.

I'd never thought of something apparently so insignificant ruining such a big event, but it's doing it. They make Roland Garros public look like Buddhist monks. Never seen anything like this, it's like taken from the craziest "Family guy" episode.

Imagine watching a replay of Maradona's famous goal with the vuvuzelas buzzing at the background. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl7aXR9O_iU)

That's not even football, for God's sake.

Feņa14
06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Awful aren't they. I thought i'd get used to them eventually but i've seen 4-5 games so far and they still annoy me.

It's a shame that South Africa have worked so hard to get everything right, including building some brilliant stadiums, only for the experience to be ruined by these horns.

spaceman_spiff
06-14-2010, 02:12 AM
I stopped watching US home matches because of the fans' love affair with plastic horns. I just can't stand that droning sound for 90 minutes.

Dave M
06-14-2010, 02:45 AM
What i noticed wasn't so much the noise thehorns make (annoying droneing sound)but the fact that you can't hear any singing or anything llike that, which from afar does seem to mean the atmosphere seems a bit unusual.I tried atching the tv with all the diferent audio options radio conmmentary was the one where you could hear les "trumpets" but its still not right!

Stefan83
06-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Itīs ok if a couple of people blow it but when theres like 100000 blowing it, itīs so anoying.

ProgressoR
06-14-2010, 03:17 AM
i think its ok actually, it does add to the atmosphere. As to hearing the crowd, when something exciting happens, they stop blowing and start cheering or ooh-ing etc.
And as for chanting, not sure much of that happens in internationals, i havent noticed it, its normally at club matches...

spaceman_spiff
06-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Ok, imagine the final scene from Escape to Victory. The Germans are awarded a bogus penalty, but instead of hearing the allied fans singing La Marseillaise, you hear them blow into 30,000 plastic horns to make themselves sound like a swarm of angry bees.

Not really the same effect.

West Coast Ace
06-14-2010, 03:43 AM
Apparently the only happy people are the earplug vendors...

Players can't communicate to each other; or so said the French during their opener with Uraguay.

Power Player
06-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Yeah..I hate them a lot. Really sucks compared to crowd chants.

malakas
06-14-2010, 05:19 AM
I hate it!They don't let me live the WC experience,I DON'T WANT to watch matches on mute,I want to hear the crowd the commentators babbling and being idiots,the whistles everything!And the freaking bees do not let me!

FIFA is considering banning them because some players have complained namely half the french team and now Messi.Well the whole tv audience worldwide complains but I suppose that's not enough reason for FIFA :roll:

ericsson
06-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Awful aren't they. I thought i'd get used to them eventually but i've seen 4-5 games so far and they still annoy me.

It's a shame that South Africa have worked so hard to get everything right, including building some brilliant stadiums, only for the experience to be ruined by these horns.

Yes they are, they bother me too but i just read in the paper they will bring out less loud Vuvuzelas, i guess we are not the only ones complaining...

xcourt4hand
06-14-2010, 05:55 AM
I think the remedy is a bit of creative sound recording - place a couple of sound recordists in among the bulk of the fans from each team rather than an aggregate of the whole crowd which is likely to be predominantly neutral South African.

If you've ever been to a football match, even the visiting fans can be pretty vocal. A talented sound mixer could virtually eliminate the drone of the vuvuzela or at least reduce the dominance in the mix.

Better still, just hack into the system and replace it for 90 mins with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU08-QQgxIQ

Nirvana!

NickC
06-14-2010, 06:14 AM
While it is vital that we respect the footballing culture as much as possible, and I want them to enjoy hosting, we must not all forget that this is NOT South Africa's World Cup, it's just a World Cup in South Africa. The locals have made too much of an impact on the tournament so far and that's killing the spirit of the tournament. The crowd always tells half the story and in this case the crowd hasn't been allowed to express themselves because a bunch of idiots want to allow the South Africans to blow some stupid horn that sounds like the mixture of a dying giraffe and a beehive. The worst part is that it's not a tradition, according to my second cousin who lives in Cape Town; it's only been around for the past 10-15 years, whereas signing and drums and all that stuff have been around since the beginning. If they want to stick to traditions, get rid of the damn thing.

Mike Bulgakov
06-14-2010, 06:21 AM
That noise is like something an intelligence agency would devise to break somebody down for interrogation. Is there anyone on the planet who feels the vuvuzelas enhance their World Cup experience? It is like having a swarm of bees lodged in your skull.

Dilettante
06-14-2010, 07:45 AM
While it is vital that we respect the footballing culture as much as possible, and I want them to enjoy hosting, we must not all forget that this is NOT South Africa's World Cup, it's just a World Cup in South Africa. The locals have made too much of an impact on the tournament so far and that's killing the spirit of the tournament. The crowd always tells half the story and in this case the crowd hasn't been allowed to express themselves because a bunch of idiots want to allow the South Africans to blow some stupid horn that sounds like the mixture of a dying giraffe and a beehive. The worst part is that it's not a tradition, according to my second cousin who lives in Cape Town; it's only been around for the past 10-15 years, whereas signing and drums and all that stuff have been around since the beginning. If they want to stick to traditions, get rid of the damn thing.

It can't be a tradition because I guess that type of horns was not manufactured many decades ago.

I complain as a viewer, but there's nothing I can do about that (that's why I complain haha). But I think FIFA should do something. In football, TV is money and I'm totally sure the tournament is losing a lot of casual viewers because something as stupid as plastic horns.

And about the country and tourney organization image, it may sound silly (well, I realize it IS silly) because there are many things in the world worst than vuvuzelas, but this stupid thing is hurting the event big time. Again, sport is image, and everyone is hating this World Cup because is like watching your favorite movie with a bunch of noisy popcorn eaters right behind you.

The best thing about the World Cup is not the game itself, but the emotion, the history and the epics. The ambience of it. All of this is being alienated by the freaking vuvuzelas.

At the end of the day, football is a show, and you can't enjoy a show with a giant bee buzz from minute 1 to minute 90. And who really enjoys a match on a muted TV.

Rockitdog
06-14-2010, 07:48 AM
I think it adds to the experience. I'm not a huge soccer fan but do enjoy the world cup and I couldn't imagine watching a match with just crowd noise. I've just come to expect it.

spaceman_spiff
06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I think it adds to the experience. I'm not a huge soccer fan but do enjoy the world cup and I couldn't imagine watching a match with just crowd noise. I've just come to expect it.

You need to watch an England match and hear the whole crowd sing "God Save Our Queen" or the French sing "La Marseillaise". 40-50k people singing is much better than a bunch of droning horns.

Dilettante
06-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Lucky you. Seriously.

I just want FIFA to ban that stuff before the first Spain's match.

Rockitdog
06-14-2010, 08:07 AM
It'd probably drive me nuts if I was watching it live and in person.

malakas
06-14-2010, 08:29 AM

you kinda give explanation of it in your own.You probably haven't watched many football matches so you don't know the beauty of the crowds singing and cheerings.

So far I have heard only for like 10 mins people singing :roll: all of it is drown under an annoying artificial sound.

~31/5/10 Israel MURDERS 9 activists who carried humanitarian aid to children,beats,tortures and injails hundreds others breaking all international laws.

Great Uncle Bulgaria
06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Why don't they only allow children to enter the stadium with them. That should restrict the numbers,

Jennifer
06-14-2010, 10:12 AM
They should swap out the horns for towels that people can swing over their heads silently. The horn noise is unique, but very distracting as we are watching it.

-Jennifer

jimbo333
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
The Vuvuzelas are part of South African football culture. They definitely shouldn't be banned. It would be like the World Cup being held in Europe and the crowd being told no singing!

It is annoying, but those not used to it (me included) have to put up with it.

Having said that, I've got a feeling as soon as the last African team is knocked out, they will make an excuse to ban them. Will see what happens!

Mustard
06-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I absolutely hate the vuvuzelas with a passion. They are ruining the world cup. Those saying it's part of South Africa's "culture" don't seem to realise that vuvuzelas weren't mass produced until 2001.

r2473
06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
The Vuvuzelas are part of South African football culture. They definitely shouldn't be banned. It would be like the World Cup being held in Europe and the crowd being told no singing!

It is annoying, but those not used to it (me included) have to put up with it.

Having said that, I've got a feeling as soon as the last African team is knocked out, they will make an excuse to ban them. Will see what happens!

It seems FIFA agrees with you:

FIFA pres backs vuvuzelas, horns won't be banned

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/story/13521154/fifa-pres-backs-vuvuzelas-horns-wont-be-banned?tag=headlines;other

Dedans Penthouse
06-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I absolutely hate the vuvuzelas with a passion. They are ruining the world cup. Those saying it's part of South Africa's "culture" don't seem to realise that vuvuzelas weren't mass produced until 2001.
^^^^^^^
Absolutely Mustard. Vuvuzelas? What is with this romanticized notion of these horrid, cheap plastic toys enjoying "cultural legacy" status? What hooey! This makes listening to a Sharapova-Serena match listenable by comparison--with them you can at least use your imagination. These vuvuzelas sound like an angry hornet's nest....drone..drone...... VERY boring.

Vuvuzelas suck and those who have them - blow.

EP1998
06-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Maybe some of the teams dont have enough supporters who were able to travel to South Africa to attend the matches and FIFA is worried the crowd will seem quiet.

sureshs
06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
The annoying buzz on TV was so bad that for a while I thought there was something wrong with the telecast.

Feņa14
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Watching the Italy v Paraguay game tonight, whenever the camera cut to the fans they were all being very vocal. It would of been nice if they weren't being drowned out.

xcourt4hand
06-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Watching the Italy v Paraguay game tonight, whenever the camera cut to the fans they were all being very vocal. It would of been nice if they weren't being drowned out.

The thing is - it wouldn't be too difficult to get quite localised atmos by utilizing a few strategically placed and mobile sound recordists- trouble with tv coverage of big events like this is that they are quite stuck in their ways and use the same old tried-and-tested methods (e.g camera angles and crowd sound recording techniques) they've used for years - except pre-planned technological niceties such as the camera-on-a-wire used recently in the Champion's league etc.

If you've ever been to a live game and your section of the crowd is chanting, it's impossible to hear any other part of the ground - on radio last night, one of the England band members said he didn't notice the sound of the vuvuzelas much at all.

It's the same with tennis coverage - the same boring old high angle wide shots that leave you feeling disconnected from the action - on the rare occasions you get low angle shots from behind the baseline, the action is much more dynamic and you really get the sense of power, speed and spin. When 3D coverage becomes more prevalent this angle will have to be used more and I, for one, say bring it on.

Let's get rid of these complacent, unimaginative TV directors and let's see some flexibility and innovative, creative direction and camera-work.

OKUSA
06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
i'm just waiting for the day when a section of the crowd gets attacked by a swarm of bees and fifa decides that vuvuzelas are a hazard.

they really don't care about people's eardrums bursting or anything

Feņa14
06-14-2010, 03:53 PM
The thing is - it wouldn't be too difficult to get quite localised atmos by utilizing a few strategically placed and mobile sound recordists- trouble with tv coverage of big events like this is that they are quite stuck in their ways and use the same old tried-and-tested methods (e.g camera angles and crowd sound recording techniques) they've used for years - except pre-planned technological niceties such as the camera-on-a-wire used recently in the Champion's league etc.

If you've ever been to a live game and your section of the crowd is chanting, it's impossible to hear any other part of the ground - on radio last night, one of the England band members said he didn't notice the sound of the vuvuzelas much at all.

It's the same with tennis coverage - the same boring old high angle wide shots that leave you feeling disconnected from the action - on the rare occasions you get low angle shots from behind the baseline, the action is much more dynamic and you really get the sense of power, speed and spin. When 3D coverage becomes more prevalent this angle will have to be used more and I, for one, say bring it on.

Let's get rid of these complacent, unimaginative TV directors and let's see some flexibility and innovative, creative direction and camera-work.

That's very true, if you're one of 3,000 at an away game then it always sounds like you're making more noise than the 40,000+ home fans. Although, with Chelsea fans that's the case anyway ;) Best away fans in the Country!

xcourt4hand
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
That's very true, if you're one of 3,000 at an away game then it always sounds like you're making more noise than the 40,000+ home fans. Although, with Chelsea fans that's the case anyway ;) Best away fans in the Country!

As a Leeds Fan I've still not forgotten 1970 so I'll bite my tongue!!!

Feņa14
06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
As a Leeds Fan I've still not forgotten 1970 so I'll bite my tongue!!!

Haha! Hutchinson with the monster throw, Webb with the header at the far post :)

I was born 19 years after it happened but even with todays success, it's still the trophy the fans remember most fondly.

Defcon
06-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I returned my tv because I thought the buzzing which was driving me mad was a defect.

Ok not really but close. The least FIFA should do is install some sound generators with a negative wave pattern to cancel out the bloody vuvuzelas. That'll teach them fans.

hollywood9826
06-14-2010, 06:48 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-7223899490465_2111_13629734292

samprasvsfederer123
06-14-2010, 07:34 PM
i think there is too much biching about this. Yahoo was filled with it, the bleach report was filled with it, every sports media was filled with it, and now talk tennis forums is biching too (note i spell biching the wrong way cause i want the word to appear..)

i think that they are not bad, players dont really complain about it, and i always concentrate on watching the match, and these things have no effect on me. i even like the ambiance, and it has come to be known as like the soccer sound its not bad..

samprasvsfederer123
06-14-2010, 08:00 PM
I returned my tv because I thought the buzzing which was driving me mad was a defect.

Ok not really but close. The least FIFA should do is install some sound generators with a negative wave pattern to cancel out the bloody vuvuzelas. That'll teach them fans.

ahaha defcon kinda ironic, (deaf)

BorisBeckerFan
06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I didn't think my sound system was defective but I did think there was something wrong with the telecast until I saw shots of the crowds blowing the horns of satan.

OKUSA
06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
i think there is too much biching about this. Yahoo was filled with it, the bleach report was filled with it, every sports media was filled with it, and now talk tennis forums is biching too (note i spell biching the wrong way cause i want the word to appear..)

i think that they are not bad, players dont really complain about it, and i always concentrate on watching the match, and these things have no effect on me. i even like the ambiance, and it has come to be known as like the soccer sound its not bad..

france complained about it, messi complained about it, so yeah players are complaining

Defcon
06-14-2010, 11:57 PM
This is what we need.

http://gizmodo.com/5563522/simple-software-can-filter-out-that-vuvuzela-whine-from-world-cup-broadcasts

Dilettante
06-15-2010, 12:44 AM
i think there is too much biching about this.

Bi*ching, at least, doesn't f**k up your broadcast matches.

SempreSami
06-15-2010, 01:08 AM
If it drowns out the Ingerland nobends playing The Great Escape on the trumpet, I'm all for them.

ProgressoR
06-15-2010, 01:48 AM
so i notice Malakas is banned, after almost 16,000 posts. He posted early on this thread hence i am mentioning it here.

Wow.

xcourt4hand
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
If it drowns out the Ingerland nobends playing The Great Escape on the trumpet, I'm all for them.

I must admit the England band wore out it's welcome for me around 1066

sureshs
06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Should be easy for the sound editors to filter out the frequencies from this instrument

Bhagi Katbamna
06-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Looks like they've found something more irritating than soccer.

babbette
06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
BBC consider vuvuzela free coverage
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/9341/

yes please. I can't take it any longer.

BullDogTennis
06-15-2010, 03:22 PM
back in high school, we had a couple we took to the high school matches...they made for a lot of fun...and a lot of angry opposing team parents!

Bartelby
06-15-2010, 03:42 PM
They should go for the simple reason that they impair the enjoyment of others, probably in the majority, and this is surely impermissible.

Defcon
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-06/broadcaster-now-blocking-vuvuzela-blare-closer-source

YES !!

vortex1
06-15-2010, 04:22 PM
The World Cup shouldn't have been given to Africa in the first place. We have enough nice European countries where everything will go smoothly and without complaints. Not to mention without the fear of getting raped, robbed and murdered.

babbette
06-15-2010, 04:32 PM
The World Cup shouldn't have been given to Africa in the first place. We have enough nice European countries where everything will go smoothly and without complaints. Not to mention without the fear of getting raped, robbed and murdered.

Hmm because it is only in Africa where people are raped, robbed and murdered. Hmm when you watch the news these days all you hear is a child got raped, abused killed, girls bodies were decapitated and thrown in the river, a killer just went on a killing spree killing 12 innocent people.

The fact is that the WC being in Africa isn't the problem. Africa has got some amazing places, its not just the worn out areas they show you on charity shows. SA is a beautiful country. It would be like if African broadcasters only showed Africans the ghettos or council estates in Europe which wouldn't give them the complete picture of Europe.

Controversy can happen anywhere. It's just those damn horns that are the devil. If there was a way to limit the number of those allowed in the stadium that would be great.

vortex1
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Hmm because it is only in Africa where people are raped, robbed and murdered. Hmm when you watch the news these days all you hear is a child got raped, abused killed, girls bodies were decapitated and thrown in the river, a killer just went on a killing spree killing 12 innocent people.

The fact is that the WC being in Africa isn't the problem. Africa has got some amazing places, its not just the worn out areas they show you on charity shows. SA is a beautiful country. It would be like African broadcasters only showed Africans the ghettos or council estates in Europe which wouldn't give them the complete picture of Europe.

Controversy can happen anywhere. It's just those damn horns that are the devil. If there was a way to limit the number of those allowed in the stadium that would be great.

Erm, of course people get murdered everywhere. It's just that in South Africa it happens a hell of a lot more than in developed countries. I am sure SA is an amazing place...Unforunately people tbere are very poor and a lot of criminals from the neighbouring African countries have "migrated" there especially for the World Cup.

I have friends who went to SA this year and they say the security is ridiculous. You can't go out at night. The hotels are like prison camps with guard dogs being released during the night. If you're driving a car, it's recommended that you go through red lights instead of stopping because the danger of being car jacked is so high.

And people ARE afraid to go there. in WC 2004 around 200,000 English fans went to Germany to watch football. This year? Barely 25,000. SA is definetly not the country you'd want to go to. Just too dangrous.

babbette
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Erm, of course people get murdered everywhere. It's just that in South Africa it happens a hell of a lot more than in developed countries. I am sure SA is an amazing place...Unforunately people tbere are very poor and a lot of criminals from the neighbouring African countries have "migrated" there especially for the World Cup.

I have friends who went to SA this year and they say the security is ridiculous. You can't go out at night. The hotels are like prison camps with guard dogs being released during the night. If you're driving a car, it's recommended that you go through red lights instead of stopping because the danger of being car jacked is so high.

And people ARE afraid to go there. in WC 2004 around 200,000 English fans went to Germany to watch football. This year? Barely 25,000. SA is definetly not the country you'd want to go to. Just too dangrous.

It's dangerous everywhere to be honest. During Olympics, I can't remember the full story, but apparently there was a murder or 2 on the first day outside one of the venues? The man was arrested, I don't remember what happened to him. We have yet to hear of an incident from the World cup event.

It doesn't surprise me there's less people gone to SA. Yes people are afraid to go there based on the violence they show us, but I also imagine not a lot of people can afford to go to SA. For Europeans it would be easier to get to Germany.

Anyway, it just irks me when us Europeans, Americans or whoever think they're better than Africans/Africa. Of course a lot of the African countries need help but still I refuse to be one of those that acts or feels superior.

BullDogTennis
06-15-2010, 05:09 PM

we were supose to go to europe, when i was in high school, for a trip...and they cancelled because it was to dangerous....get over yourself, your country isn't the only one in the world. everywhere deserves to get to host the tournament at some point.

West Coast Ace
06-15-2010, 05:40 PM
so i notice Malakas is banned, after almost 16,000 posts. He posted early on this thread hence i am mentioning it here.

Wow.Wow is right. Wonder if it was due to his sig. I see it's gone - and it was edited into his post on page #1 of this thread...

I remember reading a story on the BBC website earlier this year about the violence in SA - fact or fiction. The comments were interesting. It was split almost evenly between people, many Brits and other Euros who worked in SA for many yrs. Half said they never had a problem and that the level of crime was exaggerated; the other half said they'd never go back. With similar stories to yours: walk one block in the wrong direction and get mugged; cannot go outside showing any signs of wealth without fear of being robbed; women being gang assaulted. And total incompetence of the police - more worried about their own safety and/or on the take.

Babette, it's not about feeling superior; it's about safety. There are so many places to visit in this world (I've been to 20 countries so far) - why take the risk? And back to the vuvuzelas; back in the early '00s, they gave out these stupid 'thunder sticks' at US sporting events. We ripped them too. They weren't bad for TV viewers - but in person they were hella annoying.

Mustard
06-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Malakas is a she, by the way.

ProgressoR
06-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Malakas is a she, by the way.

Thanks for telling me.

Makes more sense now as to why Malakas was banned.

Dilettante
06-15-2010, 10:58 PM
That's why Sergio Paulo Barbosa Valente, a.k.a Duda, player of the Portuguese national team, has to say about the vuvuzelas (and he sounded quite frank: just look at the article title). He wrote it on a Spanish newpaper, I'll try to translate the vuvuzela's part:

What a pain in the @ss the vuvuzelas are!

I understand that each country wants to stamp his identity mark in such a big event as the World Cup. If, like in the present case, the WC is hold in a country like South Africa, there are a lot of new symbols that attract out attention. But if this World Cup is gonna be remembered for anything, that's the vuvuzelas. I understand the controversy among press and people about this questionable musical instrument. I just tell you one thing: if you think it's annoying on TV and radio, you can't imagine how unpleasant is to suffer it while being right on the grass.

Honestly, it drives me nuts. It's a mortal hammering all the match long. A disaster. We can't hear the referee, we can't notice when we shout at each other, there's not possible communication on the field at all. We know we have to accept the customs of the country to which we travelled as guests, and this is fun for them (that I can't understand, really) but enough is enough. I've heard that for South Africans it represents the elephant's sound, one sacred animal, although it sounds more like a giant bee to me.

Source:

http://www.diariodesevilla.es/article/opinion/725404/conazo/dan/las/vuvuzelas.html

ProgressoR
06-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Duda needs to go on a cultural awareness program. I havent seen many instances of the referee blowing and everyone not being able to hear him. And I am sure players notice it more when they are not playing well. I havent heard teams playing well complaining, or the African teams complaining.

I am sure others find it annoying, I don't see a real problem with it.

babbette
06-16-2010, 02:55 AM
Babette, it's not about feeling superior; it's about safety. There are so many places to visit in this world (I've been to 20 countries so far) - why take the risk? And back to the vuvuzelas; back in the early '00s, they gave out these stupid 'thunder sticks' at US sporting events. We ripped them too. They weren't bad for TV viewers - but in person they were hella annoying.

You have been to 20 countries, why take the risk indeed? There's so much crime in the world this days, one must be careful.
Well as of now everyone in SA for football is still unharmed.:)

West Coast Ace
06-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Well as of now everyone in SA for football is still unharmed.:)Are you sure of this? No tourists have been mugged? Where are you getting your news reports?

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 04:06 AM
My cousin lives in SA. It's bad. He's been shot and his house has been robbed. His brother left because it was too dangerous there.

nfor304
06-16-2010, 04:20 AM
And people ARE afraid to go there. in WC 2004 around 200,000 English fans went to Germany to watch football. This year? Barely 25,000. .

First of all, there was no world cup in 2004.

And if any of that statement is at all true it would have more to do with South Africa being much further away from the UK than Germany is.

Dilettante
06-16-2010, 04:52 AM
I am sure others find it annoying, I don't see a real problem with it.

Oh no, it's you!

ProgressoR
06-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Oh no, it's you!

Yes. Hello.

10 Characters (just for you)

Mustard
06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for telling me.

Makes more sense now as to why Malakas was banned.

I was just pointing it out, that's all. No need to go over the top.

Dilettante
06-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Yes. Hello.

10 Characters (just for you)

Ban him! BAN HIM!!!

Justdoit10
06-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Jonas Brothers> Vuvuzelas??

wat you think? :confused:

sureshs
06-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Wow.

malakas is a she

sureshs
06-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Well, the nice countries should have thought about that before embarking on colonialism, plunder, and slave trading from those not-nice countries, and minded their own business.

vortex1
06-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Well, the nice countries should have thought about that before embarking on colonialism, plunder, and slave trading from those not-nice countries, and minded their own business.

What does that have to do with giving WC to a country obviously too poor and too dangerous to host the tournament in smooth fashion?

decades
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I love them!!

sureshs
06-16-2010, 09:04 AM
What does that have to do with giving WC to a country obviously too poor and too dangerous to host the tournament in smooth fashion?

So that you recognize the obligation to help these countries, grow them, give them an opportunity to play an international role, etc? Or you could just sit smugly and do nothing.

Nothing has anything to do with anything unless you look at the big picture. But that requires a broader thinking, not a narrow-minded selfish view.

babbette
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Are you sure of this? No tourists have been mugged? Where are you getting your news reports?
Well, I imagine since there are Europeans in SA, if Europeans had had trouble the countries would have reported it in the news just in case anybody was worried, like they did when a bus turned over and killed kids on a school trip.

So maybe i'm wrong but as of now I imagine no harm has been done to anyone attending.

statto
06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Wimbledon has banned vuvuzelas! :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/7834031/Vuvuzelas-banned-from-Wimbledon-by-All-England-Club.html

Legend of Borg
06-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Wimbledon has banned vuvuzelas! :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/7834031/Vuvuzelas-banned-from-Wimbledon-by-All-England-Club.html

That's too bad. I was planning to liven up the atmosphere during the Murray matches, SA style. I guess the aging monarch will have to do.

Dilettante
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/125j2ih.jpg

xcourt4hand
06-17-2010, 01:37 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/125j2ih.jpg

Looks like the Spanish national team started already!

hansolo
06-17-2010, 03:59 AM
It's actually fun blowing it !

Rippy
06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ln_rqPpPk

Kevin T
06-17-2010, 12:23 PM
It's actually fun blowing it !

That's what she said. :)

Dilettante
06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Looks like the Spanish national team started already!

I guess so.

(You anglo b@stard!!)

Back to the topic:

http://i.imgur.com/m9rLj.gif

xcourt4hand
06-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Ha-ha , perhaps I shoulda kept my mouth shut until after we beat Algeria tonight!

In any case only Spain and England can realistically claim to have a chance of having the World Cup AND the Wimbledon Men's Singles winners...

My prediction - England beat Spain on penalties in the World Cup Final and Rafa wins Wimbledon...and the TV companies get their finger out and mix down the sound of the Vuvuzelas and mix the sound of the crowd up (because no-one, but NO-ONE can out sing the England fans!)

OrangeOne
06-18-2010, 01:42 AM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/

JOHANNESBURG—Members of the South Africa Vuvuzela Philharmonic Orchestra, widely considered to be among the best large-scale monotonic wind instrument ensembles in the world, told reporters Friday they were furious over the recent outbreaks of international soccer matches during their traditional outdoor concerts.
"I cannot imagine what is getting into these football teams that they would suddenly begin full-scale international competition just when we are beginning our 2010 concert series," said Dr. Stefan Coetzee, the Philharmonic's program and concert director. "It is disrespectful to the performers, it is disrespectful to the music itself, and by extension, it is disrespectful to the great nation of South Africa."
Spontaneous high-caliber soccer games have thus far plagued every orchestral vuvuzela performance of the season, which opened June 11 at Cape Town Stadium. As musicians took their places in the stands and began warming up for the evening's performance of lighter pieces by post-minimalist composers, they noticed the audience was not sitting in its traditional place in the stadium's central area.
As the Philharmonic learned later, its only spectators were the national football sides of France and Uruguay, who played to a 0-0 tie as the frustrated vuvuzela virtuosi played a full program of concerti written for the distinctive straight plastic horn.
"A virtually empty house is highly unusual in a vuvuzela-mad nation such as South Africa," said first-chair vuvuzela player Moses Mtegume, who is known as the "Father of the Vuvuzela" and considered a national treasure. "And because concerts are held in the round—the better to appreciate the sonorous tonality of the massed instruments—a performer gets a sense of the crowd early."
"It doesn't even seem like these football players are paying attention to us," Mtegume added. "In fact, I would go so far as to say they are trying to ignore us."
The following days, during which a string of large-scale vuvuzela performances were held, saw the unusual events repeat in Johnnesburg, Durban, Pretoria, and Port Elizabeth as audience after audience was driven away by FIFA national football teams. As a result, the South Africa Vuvzela Philharmonic, which is supported solely by money from ticket sales, has suffered staggering losses financially. And the musicians, many of whom trained for years and underwent a harrowing audition process to earn one of the orchestra's 50,000 seats, said the biggest blow was to their professional pride.
"Do you know how difficult it is to get everyone situated, tuned, and focused for a vuvuzela concert?" said Julliard-trained vuvuzelist Donald Frederick Gordon, a noted soloist and renowned performer whose boyhood dream of playing vuvuzela in every stadium in South Africa is now at risk. "These brash, inconsiderate outbursts of impromptu athletics have made us a laughingstock of the international music community. We have already had cancellations from the Vienna Boy's Choir and guest director Seiji Ozawa, who no doubt fear for their reputation should the Philharmonic continue to be mocked by these incongruous sportsmen."
In order to save its concert season, the orchestra has scheduled a special benefit concert for July 11 at Johannesburg's Soccer City Stadium. The orchestra will be accompanied by 8,000 special guest vuvuzela players from Ghana and the Ivory Coast, and the concert program will include the debut of new single-tone compositions by Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt, and vuvuzela fan Mark Mothersbaugh.
The musicians said they are thrilled to be performing in the nation's most prominent stadium, which is capable of holding up to 12,500 standing concertgoers in its grassy central section.
"This will be a vuvuzela tour de force the likes of which the world has never seen," Dr. Coetzee said. "We are very close to an agreement with Placido Domingo, who we're confident will show us how the greatest living tenor sings the B-flat-below-middle-C that makes the vuvuzela so magical. It will truly be a night for the ages, with, we hope, no sign of football rivals battling it out for global supremacy where the audience should be."
"We've already sold a couple dozen tickets to people in Brazil and Argentina," Dr. Coetzee added. "Mark my words, on July 11, the eyes and ears of the world will be on South Africa."

ProgressoR
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Ha-ha , perhaps I shoulda kept my mouth shut until after we beat Algeria tonight!

In any case only Spain and England can realistically claim to have a chance of having the World Cup AND the Wimbledon Men's Singles winners...
My prediction - England beat Spain on penalties in the World Cup Final and Rafa wins Wimbledon...and the TV companies get their finger out and mix down the sound of the Vuvuzelas and mix the sound of the crowd up (because no-one, but NO-ONE can out sing the England fans!)

would love to be able to agree with you but i believe there are no englishmen in wimby this year....

xcourt4hand
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Oops - My bad! Murray and millions of Scots will be baying for my blood! Humble apologies to our friends across the border - come on England, come on Muzza!

serve/and/volley
03-16-2011, 10:18 AM
I ordered a vuvuzela from WorldSoccerShop.com, and when it arrived, I discovered it was collapsible. (I snuck it into the US Open last year.)

After fooling around with it quite a bit, I discovered I can play a bunch of notes, roughly an octave and a half. Here are some wonky tunes I am able to play:

Star-Spangled Banner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wLBaDtNwUg

Star Wars theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7sPTm8Ypo

Telemann Trumpet Concert in D major:
1st movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3puC--zyk
2nd movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkiJOTV_Zo
4th movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4N-O2-R-iM

Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" (excerpt):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an8XFgWjyuM

SuperDuy
03-16-2011, 02:15 PM