PDA

View Full Version : JB still taping his Cages.

Al Czervik
06-14-2010, 03:14 PM
What a sponsor's nightmare. :)

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/5f/fullj.4e0a897796ec278b7c1f0df90f1da4b9/4e0a897796ec278b7c1f0df90f1da4b9-getty-98739068jg011_aegon_interna.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/photo?slug=4e0a897796ec278b7c1f0df90f1da4b9-getty-98739068jg011_aegon_interna#photoViewer=urn%3Anews ml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301%3Aten%2Cphoto %2C9fb6e12023f6658f120a4cdbe9e52380-getty-98739068jg012_aegon_interna%3A1

brownbearfalling
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
That and his racquet changing.

I saw a picture of a pro who ripped off the nike sign on the same shoes which made it less distinctive.

rainingaces
06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Whats his ranking now 110?

He is finished might as well stop talking about him.

Another 1st round loss today I see.

babolat king
06-14-2010, 06:50 PM
he has the complete fall from sponsorship glory.

Bartelby
06-14-2010, 06:57 PM
He has his own line with FILA, so a remarkable achievement for someone on the slide, but evidently he doesn't like their shoes.

So why advertise NIKE when FILA is paying you handsomely?

he has the complete fall from sponsorship glory.

skyzoo
06-14-2010, 07:05 PM
I remember when he could pull of the retro Agassi look... I miss those days.

babolat king
06-14-2010, 07:39 PM
well what i can remember he has been with nike, wilson, dunlop, prince, fila, and his own line named after his father. i just dont know why someone wont pick him up. i know hes not the player he use to be but come on people we dont have many americans out there.

Fee
06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
It's not a big deal, it happens a lot to players when they go to grass courts. Not all the companies make grass court shoes, or get them to the players in time, so they make whatever allowances/arrangements they can to get through the season. He's still wearing everything else from his line at Fila.

This happened to Jan-Michael the last time he was in England, I noticed it right away in the first photo that I saw. He said Prince (his clothing/shoe sponsor at the time) had no problem with him wearing adidas grass court shoes for a few weeks since they didn't make them. He went everywhere in his Prince shoes, but as soon as he stepped onto the court he sat down and changed his shoes. Since he only had a few pairs, he didn't want to wear them on concrete or anything.

niktub
06-14-2010, 11:38 PM
What is the new racquet?

Rabbit
06-15-2010, 04:13 AM
It's not a big deal, it happens a lot to players when they go to grass courts. Not all the companies make grass court shoes, or get them to the players in time, so they make whatever allowances/arrangements they can to get through the season. He's still wearing everything else from his line at Fila.

This happened to Jan-Michael the last time he was in England, I noticed it right away in the first photo that I saw. He said Prince (his clothing/shoe sponsor at the time) had no problem with him wearing adidas grass court shoes for a few weeks since they didn't make them. He went everywhere in his Prince shoes, but as soon as he stepped onto the court he sat down and changed his shoes. Since he only had a few pairs, he didn't want to wear them on concrete or anything.

Very interesting, thanks Fee.

baseline_monster
06-15-2010, 04:18 AM
He needs shoes he feels right in, obviously Fila can not make them for him, I thought at that level and being there biggest male player they could design a shoe that is right for him.

origmarm
06-15-2010, 04:31 AM
I think Fee is spot on. Saw this also with Haas and the French Open a while back. Also with Murray once at Queens

baseline_monster
06-15-2010, 04:42 AM
I think Fee is spot on. Saw this also with Haas and the French Open a while back. Also with Murray once at Queens

Yeah Murray wore the breath free cages in 07 on the clay, think he wore similar last year and wore vapors at Wimby last year. DO NOT WEAR GRASS PIMPLES ON HARD FLOOR, they will disappear! Barricades grass and feather grass are thicker pimples but those nikes are like spikes!

innoVAShaun
06-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Blake should just white out the Swoosh Like Flavia Penneta. It looks a lot better:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/64/fullj.5f748270f1e66a506d202c50637a234a/5f748270f1e66a506d202c50637a234a-getty-tennis-fra-open-roland-garros.jpg

813wilson
06-15-2010, 06:15 AM
It doesn't have anything to do with the grass surface/grass shoes. For whatever reason, and I'd like to know why, he's stopped wearing Fila shoes(Alphas?). His web site has photos from last year and this with blacked out/altered Nikes in three different colors...

hcb0804
06-15-2010, 06:20 AM

This isn't just on grass for Blake; he has been wearing taped Cage II's all year starting in Australia on all surfaces. Can't blame him, Fila shoes are crap. They have some nice clothes, though...........

baseline_monster
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
The thing is, they must have signed him on the basis that he would wear there stuff, also in there they would have said they would make a shoe to his requirements. At pro level, not many of the top names wear a retail fit. They obviously haven't did this yet. Blake would not advertise nike if he could. At that level, he will wear whats right for his feet

Fee
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
This isn't just on grass for Blake; he has been wearing taped Cage II's all year starting in Australia on all surfaces. Can't blame him, Fila shoes are crap. They have some nice clothes, though...........

Oh thanks for the additional info. I hadn't noticed his shoes in Australia and he's been out since then it seems. I know some of the other players have to switch a bit during grass, didn't Novak change shoes at one point last year?, so I thought that might have been the same for James. It's weird that this is happening with him and Fila considering they signed him and then decided to develop the separate line with him. He's been with them for a while now, you think they would have figured this out by now.

This problem plagued Haas as well. He's gone through a few contracts since he left Nike because he really can't wear anyone else's shoes. Now he's with Solfire and I think that's clothing only, so he can keep wearing his beloved Nikes.

BradThomas2121
06-15-2010, 02:23 PM
hey, Al did you not realize that there is another thread you started that is about the same topic.

Doubles
06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
He needs shoes he feels right in, obviously Fila can not make them for him, I thought at that level and being there biggest male player they could design a shoe that is right for him.

But the thing is, Blake isn't their biggest player. You're forgetting about Marin Cilic, who is not only ranked considerably higher, and younger, but he has already made it farther into a grandslam that Blake ever has. Needless to say there are several other players still ranked higher than him...

West Coast Ace
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Whats his ranking now 110?

He is finished might as well stop talking about him.

Another 1st round loss today I see.That's what I was thinking. How do we know Nike didn't threaten him with a lawsuit if he didn't black out The Swoosh? He is not worthy. And the fact that he's having issues with multiple companies would make one think possibly he's suffering a bad case of Delusions of Grandeur.

dantespark33
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
But the thing is, Blake isn't their biggest player. You're forgetting about Marin Cilic, who is not only ranked considerably higher, and younger, but he has already made it farther into a grandslam that Blake ever has. Needless to say there are several other players still ranked higher than him...

I think they keep him because he is so much more well known, especially in the states. I'll talk to my friends about tennis, and they won't know who Del Potro or Cilic are, but they'll know Blake because he is American.

lefty10spro
06-18-2010, 01:44 PM
This guy is every sponsor's worst nightmare. Just ask Prince what they went through during his one year contract. Blake has always been a mindless basher. Why not just give him a skillet?

ngtaj88
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
This guy is every sponsor's worst nightmare. Just ask Prince what they went through during his one year contract. Blake has always been a mindless basher. Why not just give him a skillet?

Two thumbs up to this post.