PDA

View Full Version : pro98 vs pro1

p3k
05-18-2005, 05:11 AM
right now i play with fischer pro1 330g, no lead, modified grip, strung with kirschbaum competition 1.25 at 24/23kg.
my problem: i used to play with the discontinued fisher vt pro 98 330g (anyone remember that?) for 5 years. i was using kirschbaum super smash 1.25 (much stiffer than k competition) strung at 27/26. i play 95% on clay, i have kick serve, two handed BH, topspin FH (sometimes too much spin) i think a play a typical clay court game from from the baseline, running, digging, waiting for a shorter ball. when i got the pro 1s, which fischer said were the same as the old ones(and looked and felt exactly the same) :o i started strugling, with the old string in it i couldn't get any power, with the competition i can but still my aggressive game has changed into counterpunching, which i don't enjoy. the pro1 has a great feel but i don't think it suits my style of play. is there anyone with the similar problem? any help is welcome. what about other racquets? i simple can't find the right one. any suggestion? and yes i've tried PD and PD+ but i didn't like them are the aeropro's different?
also can anyone tell me if this pro1's swing index of 311 is right? i can't believe that for a 330g headlight(308mm balanced) racquet :confused:
i know, too many questions :(

sandro
05-18-2005, 05:18 AM
IMO, the difference between PD and APD is very small. I'm a claycourter myself, played in the past with the old PD, and demoed yesterday the APD (just for fun), so I think I know what I'm talking about.
311 of swingweight could be absolutely right: the swingweight depends on the mass distribution, so there's no straight relation with weight and balance. I think that's a way too low swingweight to play claycourt game. my 0.02$

05-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I own a 330g VT98 Pro and a 330g Pro #1 (red/silver circa 2001). And although they have the same construction and posted specs my Pro #1 is slightly less headlight (1 point) and has a bit more SW. And although it's a very small difference I can feel it. The PD is way lighter and stiffer than the Fischers.

NoBadMojo
05-18-2005, 08:12 AM
altho the VTPro98 and Pro1 have the same profile, depending on which versions of both you have, they can play markedly differently. the Pro1, in it's current form, is very flexy within the sweetspot and the VTPro98 actually played pretty stiffly when it had more ceramics in the layup....they are like day and night. You seem to like a stiffer feel, but i also think you might wish to play around w. the strings..i'm not familiar with the Kirschbaum, but stringing up your Pro1 at lower tensions with a powerful multi or gut or gut hybrid may get you back to your normal game..but the 2 frames are markedly different IMO.

05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
agreed...the current Pro #1 and the Pro#1 sold since 2002 are nothing like the 330g VT98 Pro or red/silver 330g Pro #1 with ceramics in their layups. Those were the REAL DEAL!

NoBadMojo
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
007 i used to play the VT98 and am now onto the T10VE-MP and this bat is kind of like a juiced up VT98 to me for the modern game..it's lighter, more power, but it has the really unusual combination of firm yet flexy which was unique to the VTPro98..also, it has that really small very rarely found special sweetspot within the swetspot like the VTPro98 had where you got something special out of it and this amazing feel when you can find it..i bet you know what i mean.

p3k
05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
thanks guys, i've finally found someone who knows what i'm talking about. my current black and red pro1's say sic ceramics as well, but i've found out the stiffness of vt pro98 was 64 :confused: ( pro1 has 60). i can't change strings to multi or gut, my poly lasts about 4 hours of play. :(
and are you serious about the swing index? of course the mass distribution has straight relation with weight and balance :o
thanks anyway.

NoBadMojo
05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
just because it says 'sic ceramics' doesnt mean there is ceramic in there, or if there is some in there, there is surely much less than in the VTPro98

eLterrible
05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I was just at my local shop looking for a Pro#1 and they happened to have the OLD pro#1 on sale for $40 bucks cuz it was a demo, so i got it too, ill see how it compares tomorrow, but what a deal! it was in pretty good condition esp for a demo.

05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
I know EXACTLY what you mean NoBadMojo.....that sublime Fischer 'old school' feel that none of their current sticks offer anymore.

*** Have you hit with the Pro#1 that is currently for sale via TW (no SiC, but now has fiberglass)? ***

p3k
05-19-2005, 01:23 PM
:confused: the new black and red - on top of the racquet head it says 'sic ceramics graphite' exactly like all pro1s including the vt pro98 and trust me i had them all :(
and about the fiberglass, the same story fischer are saying all models including vt pro98 had fiberglass.
they've just changed something, they have given the racquet more feel and less power. actually the most players are happy about the lower stiffness.
anyone about the swing index?

NoBadMojo
05-19-2005, 01:31 PM
sure 007..i've hit that frame..she's a beauty..hits like a pillow, but if you prefer soft yet crisp if you know what i mean, i dont know that you will like it..to me, it is a frame that c10pro lovers might embrace..i went from the t10Gen1 to the 10VE-MP....i like just a bit of crispness to my frames, and i enjoy the extra juice in my frames for the modern game..the10Gen2 is also a good one for someone liking the Fischer Pro1 feel i think, and it's got a bigger sweetspot

eLterrible
05-19-2005, 01:58 PM
To all pro#1 users, anyone else planning to, or already have put lead tape at 2 and 10? cuz i kinda get that unpleasant ping when i hit anywhere near the upper part of the face, or anyone with tape at 3 and 9 cuz it could use just a tiny bit more stability in my mind, or is it just me.