PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi

samprasvsfederer123
06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
who do you think is the better of these two players? is one of them the best player in the world? if so, who is the worlds number 1 football player?

West Coast Ace
06-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Messi. Way too fast and nimble. There is no legal way to stop him.

Feņa14
06-14-2010, 07:38 PM
For me personally, it's Ronaldo.

He can hurt you from anywhere on the pitch, if he's not firing in 35 yarders he's punishing you with free kicks or even headers. He is someone you genuine have fear of playing against, whilst Messi also has that, I do think he can be stopped.

I remember 2 seasons ago in the Champions League semi final, Bosingwa out of position at left back managed to stop him, and then Cole in the second leg also had him in his pocket. Same with Inter Milan this year, he can be nulified.

Ronaldo is a player who still manages to find a way to hurt you, which makes him the player i'm most worried about when he's in the starting line up against my team.

maverick66
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Clint Dempsey. He has this amazing shot that strikes fear into the hearts of English goalies. Its so hard and fast that they just cant keep their hands on it.:)

BorisBeckerFan
06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
It's to bad neither of these players are likely to win a World Cup. That was something that I liked about Zidane and Fat Ronlado. There national teams were also good. Sadly as great as Messi and Ronaldo are, with out World Cups or at least a World Cup, they will not get there place along side some of the previous greats. If Brazil wins this year and Kaka has a good showing he will end up being regarded as the best player of his generation even if we know Messi and Ronaldo are better.

SempreSami
06-14-2010, 08:04 PM
On their abilities, I can't really choose between them. But Messi is part of the best Barcelona side I've seen since Cruyff's Dream Team and Ronaldo plays for 'them', so Messi.

Feņa14
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
On their abilities, I can't really choose between them. But Messi is part of the best Barcelona side I've seen since Cruyff's Dream Team and Ronaldo plays for 'them', so Messi.

A Man Utd team with Ronaldo in was more scary than Barcelona from my point of view.

SempreSami
06-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Depends really, there was the odd occasion in the Champions League when they looked a bit shaky.

lovecr717
06-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo.

FloridaAG
06-15-2010, 04:12 AM
I think Ronaldo has the physcial ability to be better than Messi - size, power, ability in the air etc. However, it is a team game, Messi is a better team player, does far more to help his teammates and is the player I would prefer to have on my team.

baseline_monster
06-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Different kind of players, both amazing. Both could play in the same team. At the moment I would say Ronaldo as he proved it in the premier league, the best league in the world and has played outstanding for Portugal internationally

mikro112
06-15-2010, 04:34 AM
Cristiano Ronaldo.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/1242226186_ronaldo-stunned.gif

Gorecki
06-15-2010, 04:53 AM

what is the purpose of this gif other than acting like a perfect idiot Mikro(brains)?

on topic: i dont know how many persons confuse the player\professional and the person Ronaldo.

any of you ever wondered why all his (CR) coaches have so much praise for him?

well the answer my friends, is that CR is an absolute working horse in the trannings and gives ii all out day in and day out... and he honestly loves the sport. he is the kind of guy that stays an extra 45 minutes on the pitch just shooting free kicks after everyone went to shower...

as for who's better? i really cant tell. two different players that i would gladly have in the same team had i the chance to!

mikro112
06-15-2010, 05:19 AM
what is the purpose of this gif other than acting like a perfect idiot Mikro(brains)?

on topic: i dont know how many persons confuse the player\professional and the person Ronaldo.

any of you ever wondered why all his (CR) coaches have so much praise for him?

well the answer my friends, is that CR is an absolute working horse in the trannings and gives ii all out day in and day out... and he honestly loves the sport. he is the kind of guy that stays an extra 45 minutes on the pitch just shooting free kicks after everyone went to shower...

as for who's better? i really cant tell. two different players that i would gladly have in the same team had i the chance to!

Besides his football abilities, CR simply is a cheating SOB, who tries to dive every chance he gets and who is always complaining during a match. He is not a rolemodel for younger football players whatsoever. He's no fair sportsman.

Gorecki
06-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Besides his football abilities, CR simply is a cheating SOB, who tries to dive every chance he gets and who is always complaining during a match. He is not a rolemodel for younger football players whatsoever. He's no fair sportsman.

you have just described 99% of football players. your point?

statto
06-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Messi for me.

mikro112
06-15-2010, 05:59 AM
you have just described 99% of football players. your point?

You mean Portoguese football players, right? Maybe Italian and Spanish players as well, but most other nations' players aren't as badly as CR and players like him.

babbette
06-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Omg lol. :lol: There's always suspicion that he's bi.

NickC
06-15-2010, 06:27 AM
I rate Messi much higher, but as of right now, Ronaldo is in my fantasy World Cup team, because he scores more at an international level than Messi does.

However, when on form for Brazil, Kaka is twice as good as anyone else on the planet, bar none - he has the shooting ability of Ronaldo and the passing skills of Xavi. He'll score a rocket like he did against Japan in 06 and he'll hook Fabiano up with sick passes today when Brazil takes a crap on North Korea. You just watch.

Gorecki
06-15-2010, 06:50 AM
You mean Portoguese football players, right? Maybe Italian and Spanish players as well, but most other nations' players aren't as badly as CR and players like him.

racist\xenophobic bigot i see!

Gorecki
06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Omg lol. :lol: There's always suspicion that he's bi.

still 50% less gay than:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rWfWmcjJMy0/SfrVKMuKb7I/AAAAAAAAAGo/f9EeGkjmSx8/s400/b_nadal_verdasco_30_01.jpg

http://www.rafa-nadal.com/images/news/rafa-nadal_carlos-moya_roma.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SYjZd7ploTI/AAAAAAAAIOE/1O1P7C9yzhY/s400/nadal_palma.jpg

Legend of Borg
06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
A Man Utd team with Ronaldo in was more scary than Barcelona from my point of view.

Didn't they lose 2-0 to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League final?

Anyways, Messi has my vote.

skyzoo
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Bastian Schweinsteiger Plain and Simple. The Greatest Human Being in the Entire World.

http://i50.tinypic.com/160tzc3.jpg

mikro112
06-15-2010, 07:30 AM
racist\xenophobic bigot i see!

Yeah right. Where are you from that my post hurt your feelings?

FloridaAG
06-15-2010, 07:36 AM
CR- putting on a diving clinic right now versus Ivory Coast.

Feņa14
06-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Bastian Schweinsteiger Plain and Simple. The Greatest Human Being in the Entire World.

http://i50.tinypic.com/160tzc3.jpg

Great player, i'd love to see him in the Premier League.

Didn't they lose 2-0 to Barcelona in the 2009 Champions League final?

Anyways, Messi has my vote.

Yeah, but as a fan of a team who have played Man Utd and Barcelona alot over the recent years, Ronaldo was always the player you really had to watch out for.

You can keep Messi in areas where he can't hurt you easily, whilst if you keep Ronaldo away from goal he's just as likely to smash it in from 30 yards.

As others have pointed out as well, his physical ability is really key to todays game and the fact he has produced the goods in the Premier League and La Liga is something that goes in his favour.

Juges8932
06-15-2010, 07:57 AM

I agree. This is why I can't find myself to like those teams, even though they are loaded with talent. I remember in the last World Cup when Portugal was playing France, there was one defender in the box, 2 Portuguese players, arms-length away from the defender. Ball was cleared. What happens? BOTH go down at the SAME time. It was just ridiculous. I don't really mind Spain, but I'm definitely not a fan of Italy/Portugal, as they are my two least-liked international teams.

As for OP- Ronaldo is my pick. I always watch him play when I can. I don't like him, but his talent is crazy-good. He can drill it from 35 yards out, head it, free-kick, etc.

To be fair to Messi, I haven't seen him play as much as Ronaldo, so maybe I am not paying him proper respects, but from what I've seen, Ronaldo is the superior player.

Gorecki
06-15-2010, 08:01 AM
CR- putting on a diving clinic right now versus Ivory Coast.

Ivory Coast putting an Handball clinic right there!

FloridaAG
06-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Zokora breathed on me - I am going down like a ton of bricks - best way to stop it is for the Refs to refuse to call any fouls against the divers until they stop - easier to do than giving yellow cards. Maybe they will learn

Falloutjr
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
After watcving today's Ivory Coast-Portugal match, I'd have to give it to Messi. Ronaldo was non-existent and he lost his edge when they played physically with him.

Juges8932
06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Yeah right. Where are you from that my post hurt your feelings?

Look at their avi...

skyzoo
06-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Bundesliga and champions for life my man.

NickC
06-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Zokora breathed on me - I am going down like a ton of bricks - best way to stop it is for the Refs to refuse to call any fouls against the divers until they stop - easier to do than giving yellow cards. Maybe they will learn

whaa whaa whaa

Christiana dives all around the pitch for yet another 90 minutes. He should get Italian citizenship because he acts like a member of their national team.

http://zizouandbecks.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/ronaldo-diving.jpg

BorisBeckerFan
06-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I have not really been impressed by either Messi or Ronaldo against teams that I would not even really consider contenders. I know they are much better than this which is what eats me up. Kaka however will not dissappint. Obvioulsy he has the advantage of having everyone else on his team being good and playing North Korea. No offense to North Koreans but this could get ugly. At least a 2 goal differential I think.

SempreSami
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I rate Messi much higher, but as of right now, Ronaldo is in my fantasy World Cup team, because he scores more at an international level than Messi does.

However, when on form for Brazil, Kaka is twice as good as anyone else on the planet, bar none - he has the shooting ability of Ronaldo and the passing skills of Xavi. He'll score a rocket like he did against Japan in 06 and he'll hook Fabiano up with sick passes today when Brazil takes a crap on North Korea. You just watch.

Except Kaka hasn't been good for three years now.

And he didn't score against Japan in '06, it was Croatia.

NickC
06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Except Kaka hasn't been good for three years now.

Because Dunga is an idiot and can't build an attacking fluid side to save his life. Should Brazil decide to use an attacking system, you'll see why I think Kaka when on form is incredible to see.

And he didn't score against Japan in '06, it was Croatia.

Good call.

SempreSami
06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Nah, he was pish for Milan after they won the Champions League.

BorisBeckerFan
06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I have not really been impressed by either Messi or Ronaldo against teams that I would not even really consider contenders. I know they are much better than this which is what eats me up. Kaka however will not dissappint. Obvioulsy he has the advantage of having everyone else on his team being good and playing North Korea. No offense to North Koreans but this could get ugly. At least a 2 goal differential I think.

Boy was I wrong. Kaka had some errant passes and really didn't shine.

NickC
06-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Nah, he was pish for Milan after they won the Champions League.

For one of the two years after they won the Champions League, Ronaldinho was also in the team which cut down on the impact Kaka would have on a match, and for the other season, his only real forwards were a Ronaldo who was injured constantly, and a Shevchenko who couldn't find form to save the life of him.

Messarger
06-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Messi for me.

Ronaldo is a more well rounded player, but Messi is the best in the world at what he does. Cuts in from the right, can curl one into the bottom left corner, can pick out a pass on the full sprint, sometimes even finish with his right (weaker foot).

Messarger
06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
After watcving today's Ivory Coast-Portugal match, I'd have to give it to Messi. Ronaldo was non-existent and he lost his edge when they played physically with him.

How can you judge a player base on one match? Everyone is bound to have off days, and this may be one of Ronaldo's. Having said that, i'd still take Messi over him.

mikro112
06-15-2010, 03:53 PM

That won't be happening (at least until his contract is up), as Bayern Munich's president declared him and Philipp Lahm unsaleable.

SempreSami
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Schweinsteiger will score an awesome goal one match then get sent off the next, no thanks.

sonicare
06-15-2010, 03:55 PM
For me personally, it's Ronaldo.

He can hurt you from anywhere on the pitch, if he's not firing in 35 yarders he's punishing you with free kicks or even headers. He is someone you genuine have fear of playing against, whilst Messi also has that, I do think he can be stopped.

I remember 2 seasons ago in the Champions League semi final, Bosingwa out of position at left back managed to stop him, and then Cole in the second leg also had him in his pocket. Same with Inter Milan this year, he can be nulified.

Ronaldo is a player who still manages to find a way to hurt you, which makes him the player i'm most worried about when he's in the starting line up against my team.

Funny. where was ronaldo in the CL final when they pl;ayed barcelona?

And this is coming from a guy who lives in Manchester.

Messi > ronaldo . But it is close.

Feņa14
06-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Funny. where was ronaldo in the CL final when they pl;ayed barcelona?

And this is coming from a guy who lives in Manchester.

Messi > ronaldo . But it is close.

Yeah that was a strange game, Man Utd were flat throughout and never really got going.

That won't be happening (at least until his contract is up), as Bayern Munich's president declared him and Philipp Lahm unsaleable.

Pretty much every big player that moves is said to be not for sale by the board :)

Fabregas isn't for sale but it's not stopping Barcelona, just like how Ronaldo and Kaka weren't for sale at Man Utd and AC Milan. Milner at Villa isn't up for sale but i'm sure he'll move this summer. Bayern have said Lahm and Schweinsteiger aren't for sale but i'm sure if a top team came in for Lahm and he fancied a new challenge, there wouldn't be much Bayern could do to stop it and i'm sure Schweinsteiger is the same.

Mustard
06-15-2010, 04:12 PM
In 2007 and 2008, it was Cristiano Ronaldo. In 2009 and 2010, it's Lionel Messi. As this poll was made in 2010, my vote is for Lionel Messi.

Juges8932
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
So Ronaldo was "non-existent" today. Why, because he didn't score? I bet if his 30 yard rip had been to feet to the right and in the back of the net instead of hitting the post, he would have been very "existent." Was he the dominant player who really puts his stamp on the game today? No. But he definitely wasn't non-existent. That team(Portugal) depends too much on Ronaldo to get **** done, IMO.

Also, like somebody else said, basing your opinion on one game is asinine.

Benhur
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM

CR a big diver?? He is usually brought down in a much rougher and nastier and obvious way than anybody else I can think of, because that's the only way they can stop him. He does not need to dive. They do that to Messi too, but not so blatantly. It often requires two or three goons to bring CR down.
In addition to his great skills, Ronaldo is kind of like a steam locomotive when he gets those legs going. Messi is more like a slippery fish able to squeeze his way to a clearance as if by magic. They are both infinitely talented, but CR can be more dangerous.

SalvadorVeiga
06-15-2010, 06:25 PM

yes because messi always puts such good exhibitions for argentina (NOT) ...

if there is something in common between these two is that they both fail to play as good in their national teams as they play in their clubs

babbette
06-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Ronaldo: "Referees should protect the more skilful players when they are getting fouled by the opposition."
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3016021/Cristiano-Ronaldo-hits-out-at-World-Cup-hatchet-men.html

mikro112
06-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Schweinsteiger will score an awesome goal one match then get sent off the next, no thanks.
You couldn't be more wrong. Schweinsteiger became WorldClass as defensive midfielder in this season. At the end of the season he had several (5+) matches where he was the person with the most ball contacts and besides that he didn't have ANY missed pass. World Class.
Pretty much every big player that moves is said to be not for sale by the board :)

Fabregas isn't for sale but it's not stopping Barcelona, just like how Ronaldo and Kaka weren't for sale at Man Utd and AC Milan. Milner at Villa isn't up for sale but i'm sure he'll move this summer. Bayern have said Lahm and Schweinsteiger aren't for sale but i'm sure if a top team came in for Lahm and he fancied a new challenge, there wouldn't be much Bayern could do to stop it and i'm sure Schweinsteiger is the same.
You can't compare any Premier League, Premiera Division or Italian league club to Bayern Munich. If Bayern says he's not for sale, the player is not for sale. Remember the stuff about Ribery last year, when every European top club made offers, but Hoeness (Bayern's president) said: No! So Ribery stayed and extended his contract until 2015. ;)
CR a big diver?? He is usually brought down in a much rougher and nastier and obvious way than anybody else I can think of, because that's the only way they can stop him. He does not need to dive. They do that to Messi too, but not so blatantly. It often requires two or three goons to bring CR down.
In addition to his great skills, Ronaldo is kind of like a steam locomotive when he gets those legs going. Messi is more like a slippery fish able to squeeze his way to a clearance as if by magic. They are both infinitely talented, but CR can be more dangerous.
In comparison to Ronaldo, watch Franck Ribery. He also is a world class player, but he won't go down unless fouled. Ronaldo goes down on every contact he gets. ;)

FloridaAG
06-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Or when there is no contact at all as he did repeatedly yesterday

david93
06-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Messi of course.
Messi is present in every match while CR is invisible on off-days.
I also dislike CR for his behavior sometimes...

Mansewerz
06-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Ronaldo's pretty boy image rubs me the wrong way. Seems like a cocky ******, but I don't know. He is much bigger than Messi. Messi is so fast though, plus I like Barcelona. I'm a personal fan of Messi, but no idea who is better.

Defcon
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
CR is a cocky bugger who'll go down if you come within 15ft of him.

And anyway Zidane > all. CR does all his fancy step overs and hops which rarely end up doing anything.

samprasvsfederer123
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
CR is a cocky bugger who'll go down if you come within 15ft of him.

And anyway Zidane > all. CR does all his fancy step overs and hops which rarely end up doing anything.

zidane!, zidane! :):):)

BorisBeckerFan
06-16-2010, 11:50 PM
zidane!, zidane! :):):)

Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are nothing compared to Zidane. Actually they're not anything compared to Ronaldo o fenomeno. If either of them score 15 goals in world cup play I will retract my satement. I miss Zidane. He was just awesome to watch.

0d1n
06-17-2010, 04:10 AM
I like Messi more, but I admit it's due to subjective reasons not "objective appraisal of talent or performance" (like that exists in a team sport...).

babbette
07-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Cristiano just announced he's fathered a baby, he will be raising the baby on his own and the mother is the remain anonymous...Ricky Martin moment?:shock:

nereis
07-04-2010, 06:24 AM
Lionel Messi is the next coming of Maradona. The only way to stop him is to have 3-4 guys crowding him. Ronaldo is just a better version of Beckham in comparison.

Dilettante
07-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Lionel Messi is the next coming of Maradona.

No.

10 chars

Breaker
07-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Ronaldo is just a better version of Beckham in comparison.

No.

10 chars

nereis
07-04-2010, 06:40 AM
"Messi is the best player in the world, along with Ronaldinho. I see him as very similar to me," - Diego Maradona

“I would be very proud if, one day, I'm held in the same esteem as George Best or Beckham. It's what I'm working hard towards.” - Cristiano Ronaldo

Ronaldo is far more concerned with being a pretty boy than making things happen. In big matches he is no where to be found. The things Messi can do with the ball... Ronaldo can only dream about.

Breaker
07-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Ronaldo only said that because he played for Man United and wanted to get in their good books, the second Real offered him the big money deal he was out of there. He's twice the player Becks ever was.

Ronaldo disappearing in big matches is a tag that is often placed on Messi as well. The good defences are obviously going to try to mark them out of the game and force other players to beat them.

You don't score 42 goals in a season without wanting to make things happen..

ubermeyer
07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Where were Ronaldo and Messi this year? Huh? This year's world cup belongs to Klose and Muller.

Breaker
07-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Well Messi is World Player of the Year pretty much unanimously, scoring over 40 goals and Ronaldo scored almost a goal a game for Real.

Argentina has no midfield and Portugal defend with 10 men at all times so they're gone and rightly so.

Meanwhile Klose is playing on a dynamic German side with one of the best midfields in this competition and scoring tap-ins even Heskey could have put away.

datsveryinterestin
07-04-2010, 09:39 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01535/wesley-sneijder-2_1535006i.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/euro.2008.best.goals/images/lukas-podolski.jpg

samprasvsfederer123
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Lionel Messi is the next coming of Maradona. The only way to stop him is to have 3-4 guys crowding him. Ronaldo is just a better version of Beckham in comparison.

then why the hell did we see nothing of that in the world cup, not even much brilliance, not even a goal? maradona could really do it in the grandest stage of them all. Messi by the time he retires may at most be regarded as the best of his generation, maybe not even that, but i would never a contender for greatest unless he wins the world cup, and plays a major role in it like maradona did.

samprasvsfederer123
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
No.

10 chars

he is better than beckham

samprasvsfederer123
07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Well Messi is World Player of the Year pretty much unanimously, scoring over 40 goals and Ronaldo scored almost a goal a game for Real.

Argentina has no midfield and Portugal defend with 10 men at all times so they're gone and rightly so.

Meanwhile Klose is playing on a dynamic German side with one of the best midfields in this competition and scoring tap-ins even Heskey could have put away.

villa candidate for world player of the year, the world player of the year this year should definatley be judged by his performance in the world cup, if so then messi and ronaldo shouldnt even be in contension.

Gorecki
07-04-2010, 01:01 PM
villa candidate for world player of the year, the world player of the year this year should definatley be judged by his performance in the world cup, if so then messi and ronaldo shouldnt even be in contension.

HUH? Villa? who should have been ejected in the second game and scored so far 3 - Three - 3 goals in offside?

babbette
07-05-2010, 06:01 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/05072010/58/la-liga-ronaldo-hired-surrogate-baby.html

Ronaldo apparently hired a woman to have his baby. I don't get it. Why would a man that is healthy (i suppose) and can bed any woman he wants hire someone to have his child. He has a girlfriend why didn't he just use her?
wonders never cease. If he's gay he should just come out and say. He won't get shunned.:???:

PSNELKE
07-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Klose, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Müller, Özil?
All these guys were named here.
Any German player doesnīt come even close to the TOP20/30 of the world.

Breaker
07-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Messi will win it.

samprasvsfederer123
07-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Messi will win it.

you think he deserves it?

Dilettante
07-05-2010, 07:14 AM
HUH? Villa? who should have been ejected in the second game and scored so far 3 - Three - 3 goals in offside?

Any Greek player as a suitable alternative?

Breaker
07-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Yes, the season at Barca he had is enough for me and most people. 5 extra international games don't change that - though he was brilliant in 3 of them.

samprasvsfederer123
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, the season at Barca he had is enough for me and most people. 5 extra international games don't change that - though he was brilliant in 3 of them.

he i saw you post a reply in a thread with a jerry seinfield video thingy where do you get it?

West Coast Ace
07-05-2010, 05:14 PM
No.

10 charsYes, if by better he meant taller and prettier...

I was going to add 'and having kids out of wedlock' but that would be nasty. Oops!

Feņa14
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM

If Holland win the World Cup, then Sneijder deserves it.

To win Serie A, the Coppa Italia, the Champions League AND the World Cup in the same year is really special.