PDA

View Full Version : 4WD / AWD Cars in the UK - which one?

PimpMyGame
06-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Since moving out of the city in September, it has become increasingly clear that my rear wheel drive BMW will not cut it on icy roads in the countryside. My company car is up for renewal in three months and I'm having a tough time finding a replacement, which for the safety of my family should be a 4WD.

Sadly we have the stingiest company car scheme in the galaxy. I am not allowed a sports car, and not officially allowed a 4WD. However, I have some assurances that I would be able to have a "normal" car with 4WD. I looked at the Audi A4 Avant Quattro, and the BMW X1. The Audi was a little too expensive unless I was prepared to have a very basic spec, and the X1's anticipated residuals pushed the lease costs too high.

The one I was looking at was the Audi A3 Sportback Quattro, because I could get a good spec for my allowance. My issue is that I am compromising a bigger car for 4WD, which can I think be fixed by buying a roof box when we need to go on holiday etc. But now I'm really stuck for any other options. Cars should have a list price of 25k-28k and as I said, they should not have offroad capabilities. A cash option is not available, I have to have a company car or lose the perk. Thoughts anyone?

esm
06-15-2010, 06:30 AM
what car brands are you interested in buying (allowed?)

PimpMyGame
06-15-2010, 06:41 AM
what car brands are you interested in buying (allowed?)

No issue from the company on brands. Personally I don't mind which brand I go for.

esm
06-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Subaru range? their AWD and boxer engine is a great combo imo.

ninman
06-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Subaru Impreza?

PimpMyGame
06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Subaru Impreza?

I briefly looked at the Scoobys, nice cars, but the CO2 emissions make them extremely expensive on car tax so ruled out before I test drove one.

hollywood9826
06-15-2010, 06:56 AM
That would be the first one I would look at as well.

Geezer Guy
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
I've been driving FWD cars for about 20 years, due to the winters here. Last year I bought my first AWD car. No problems last winter - it did fine.
It will switch from RWD to AWD automatically when it detects the rear wheels slipping. Or, with the flip of a switch you can change it manually.

Fee
06-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda CRV? That might pass the emissions standards for you. I love mine, but it might not be sexy enough for you after driving a BMW.

LuckyR
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Carrera 4S

PimpMyGame
06-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Carrera 4S

My friend has one which we drove from London through Saltzburg, onto Prague and then back via Amsterdam. Great fun, especially on the autobahns and motorways outside Prague.

Sadly, even with holding its value very well, my company will not allow it!

vsbabolat
06-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Since moving out of the city in September, it has become increasingly clear that my rear wheel drive BMW will not cut it on icy roads in the countryside. My company car is up for renewal in three months and I'm having a tough time finding a replacement, which for the safety of my family should be a 4WD.

Sadly we have the stingiest company car scheme in the galaxy. I am not allowed a sports car, and not officially allowed a 4WD. However, I have some assurances that I would be able to have a "normal" car with 4WD. I looked at the Audi A4 Avant Quattro, and the BMW X1. The Audi was a little too expensive unless I was prepared to have a very basic spec, and the X1's anticipated residuals pushed the lease costs too high.

The one I was looking at was the Audi A3 Sportback Quattro, because I could get a good spec for my allowance. My issue is that I am compromising a bigger car for 4WD, which can I think be fixed by buying a roof box when we need to go on holiday etc. But now I'm really stuck for any other options. Cars should have a list price of 25k-28k and as I said, they should not have offroad capabilities. A cash option is not available, I have to have a company car or lose the perk. Thoughts anyone?

Have you looked at the Skoda Superb Estate 4x4? Skoda is part of the VW Group. Also another Car from the VW group which I think is a good option is the Seat Exeo ST. It is based on the previous generation platform B7 of the Audi A4. Unfortunately it is not available in AWD.
http://seat.co.uk/generator/su/com/ExeoST/site/start/main,lang=en.html

PimpMyGame
06-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Have you looked at the Skoda Superb Estate 4x4? Skoda is part of the VW Group. Also another Car from the VW group which I think is a good option is the Seat Exeo ST. It is based on the previous generation platform B7 of the Audi A4. Unfortunately it is not available in AWD.
http://seat.co.uk/generator/su/com/ExeoST/site/start/main,lang=en.html

Thanks, the Skoda Superb is one I will look at.

LuckyR
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
My friend has one which we drove from London through Saltzburg, onto Prague and then back via Amsterdam. Great fun, especially on the autobahns and motorways outside Prague.

Sadly, even with holding its value very well, my company will not allow it!

Screw them, arrange for them to kick in the average amount and pony up the rest yourself. There is no substitute.

vsbabolat
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks, the Skoda Superb is one I will look at.

Also the the Volvo V50 is another alternative with AWD.