PDA

View Full Version : 'Big Butter Jesus' melts, clogging the arteries of thousands

Aldi Patron
06-15-2010, 04:57 AM
The King of Kings statue, also known as "Touchdown Jesus" or "Big Butter Jesus," was struck by lightning last night and burned to the ground. If you don't know about the statue, it's located at the Solid Rock Church in Ohio right off of 75. It was the only thing our great state had going for it.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTBFPte-MY

http://annielambert.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/2005_01_13giantjesus.jpg

Discuss, or talk about the carnival of weirdness that is Trader's World, which is located across the street from it.

Thomas Crown
06-15-2010, 05:20 AM
that picture looks like he's sinking and asking god (himself; or his son, i.e., him) for help!

jrod
06-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Obviously Jesus was losing touch with his place in the Heartland. He should have been grounded.

Fee
06-15-2010, 10:35 AM
According to the article in the Cincy paper that I read online, he was grounded but those devices are never 100% effective. Maybe God himself took it out since it was so ugly.

The church has said they will rebuild the statue, at the cost of more than $500,000 or so. Vanity is so expensive these days.

jrod
06-15-2010, 11:16 AM
....The church has said they will rebuild the statue, at the cost of more than $500,000 or so. Vanity is so expensive these days.

This is what I love about people of faith. They can justify any expense without ever concerning themselves with whether or not it is the right thing to do.

albino smurf
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
This lightning strike is making question my atheism.

Fee
06-15-2010, 12:30 PM

It just reinforced my Mother Naturism. ;)

hollywood9826
06-16-2010, 03:42 AM
When I saw touchdown Jesus I was thjinking the Mural at Notre dame that overlooks the football stadium. Then I saw this tacky looking thing.
It must be pretty important to have a wikipedia page though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(statue)

Xisbum
06-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Maybe their God is expressing anger at what we humans are doing to Her gulf.

Just a thought.

Dilettante
06-16-2010, 04:03 AM

At least we have to concede that the whole thing is uncannily ironic.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 04:13 AM
This is what I love about people of faith. They can justify any expense without ever concerning themselves with whether or not it is the right thing to do.

It's their money. If they have decided that it is the right thing to do, it is the right thing to do. It doesn't have anything to do with "people of faith". Don't you buy things with your money that other people would question?

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 04:14 AM
Maybe their God is expressing anger at what we humans are doing to Her gulf.

Just a thought.

Justice is blind, not God. He wouldn't destroy something in Ohio for something happening a thousand miles away.

jrod
06-16-2010, 04:19 AM
It's their money. If they have decided that it is the right thing to do, it is the right thing to do. It doesn't have anything to do with "people of faith". Don't you buy things with your money that other people would question?

Your right. It is their money and they have made it quite clear what their priorities are. This is why I don't give money to any church. I'd much rather provide the kid down the street a pair of shoes or a decent meal.

Speaking of faith, I wonder what Jesus would do?

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Your right. It is their money and they have made it quite clear what their priorities are. This is why I don't give money to any church. I'd much rather provide the kid down the street a pair of shoes or a decent meal.

How do you know that they will spend their last dollar on that statue like some people do to buy AirJordan shoes? What do you think most churches do with donated money. Basically what you just said.

Speaking of faith, I wonder what Jesus would do?

He would tell them to use their own money as they see fit as long as they give 10% to God. But, I'm not a christian so I don't know for sure.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
06-16-2010, 05:04 AM
going back to the guy who said maybe its because of the gulf, its also possible that the problem with the oil is because of our relations with israel.
obama is not as close knit to israel as previous presidents and we are losing our strong alliance with them. then the oil spill happens, coincidence?

hollywood9826
06-16-2010, 05:37 AM
A Jesus statue made of metal got struck by lighning and the highly flabable foam inside of it caught fire and melted leaving only the metal base.

The first statue cost 250k and was built by pribvate donations from the church for the statue not and not regular church funds. the replacement will probably get the same treatment.

I doubt Isreal was so mad at Obama they decided to kill a Jesus statue by sending a lighting bolt into a tacky oversize bust of jesus in ohio. I mean Tesla was a genius but I dont even he found out how to send lighting halfway around the world.

albino smurf
06-16-2010, 06:03 AM
going back to the guy who said maybe its because of the gulf, its also possible that the problem with the oil is because of our relations with israel.
obama is not as close knit to israel as previous presidents and we are losing our strong alliance with them. then the oil spill happens, coincidence?

Don't forget smiting Gary Coleman.

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 06:11 AM
He would tell them to use their own money as they see fit as long as they give 10% to God. But, I'm not a christian so I don't know for sure.

While nobody can truly say what Jesus would have said, he did live a life of modesty and poverty, and priests currently take the same oath, so something about spending $500K to rebuild a gaudy statue might not sit well with the J man.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 06:14 AM
A Jesus statue made of metal got struck by lighning and the highly flabable foam inside of it caught fire and melted leaving only the metal base.

The first statue cost 250k and was built by pribvate donations from the church for the statue not and not regular church funds. the replacement will probably get the same treatment.

I doubt Isreal was so mad at Obama they decided to kill a Jesus statue by sending a lighting bolt into a tacky oversize bust of jesus in ohio. I mean Tesla was a genius but I dont even he found out how to send lighting halfway around the world.

Thanks for the info(about the statue). Given that info, people should have even less of a problem with it(but won't). This reminds me of people complaining about all the money spent on presidential campaigns. One current Senator(and former candidate--McCain) even passed a law restricting it. What that fool didn't realize or care was that in the US, more money is spent on buying Holloween candy for a single day every year than money spent on choosing the leader of the most powerful country in the world once every four years.
Similarly, the money spent on this statue is probably less than the combined office pool money in one large city for the annual NCAA basketball tournament. Typicall, people don't have a problem with the (illegal in the US) private office pool gambling but as can be seen from this thread, have a problem with private individuals spending their own money on something like this statue.

Dedans Penthouse
06-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Don't forget smiting Gary Coleman.
Ok.

Gary Coleman's Casket
Poor lil' guy....already had his name on it--knew somethin' was bound to happen....

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2009/08/coleman-steel-belted-cooler.jpg

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 06:15 AM
While nobody can truly say what Jesus would have said, he did live a life of modesty and poverty, and priests currently take the same oath, so something about spending $500K to rebuild a gaudy statue might not sit well with the J man.

Did you read the part about this being private donations specifically for the statue and not out of the general donations?

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Did you read the part about this being private donations specifically for the statue and not out of the general donations?

I did, but even as such, I'm sure that a man who dined with tax collectors and prostitutes would say that those donations could still be used for a more effective means.

jrod
06-16-2010, 06:26 AM
He would tell them to use their own money as they see fit as long as they give 10% to God.

I'm sorry, but I find this statement humorous.

dParis
06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
I think Jesus may look at the church and determine whether or not good deeds are being done through the church and by the congregation - is the church somehow making the planet a better place to live? Jesus is a kind judge. I don't think he would damn the church if they are doing good, though he probably would strongly suggest to the church administrators that the resources could be used more effectively.

Then, he would log on the Talk Tennis boards and tell the atheists here to not concern themselves with playing a game of hypocritical gotcha and start showing a little more respect to the creator of the universe.:wink:

Xisbum
06-16-2010, 07:23 AM

I agree, but don't think that particular poster knows what humor or irony means. He is a most serious and ponderous thinker, apparently. :)

Good for him.

jrod
06-16-2010, 08:39 AM
I agree, but don't think that particular poster knows what humor or irony means. He is a most serious and ponderous thinker, apparently.

Well, his humor is top notch, regardless as to whether he gets it or not. Besides, often the funniest lines are uttered without any intent to be humorous.

jrod
06-16-2010, 08:41 AM
....Then, he would log on the Talk Tennis boards and tell the atheists here to not concern themselves with playing a game of hypocritical gotcha and start showing a little more respect to the creator of the universe.:wink:

dParis = Jesus?

bad_call
06-16-2010, 09:02 AM
He would tell them to use their own money as they see fit as long as they give 10% to God.

maybe the little bird that whispered forgot to give an address....

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I did, but even as such, I'm sure that a man who dined with tax collectors and prostitutes would say that those donations could still be used for a more effective means.

You don't really understand. The donations were made by individuals specifically for that statue. Any other use would be considered unethical at best and fraud at worst.

Love Game
06-16-2010, 11:48 AM

ex governor moonbeam, Jerry Brown, is a person of faith??? :shock:

Spending millions of California taxpayer dollars to sue automobile manufacturers (a lawsuit he rightfully lost) for causing "global warming" ... and the money he used to do it was not "donated" freely :roll:

Love Game
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
You don't really understand. The donations were made by individuals specifically for that statue. Any other use would be considered unethical at best and fraud at worst.

excellent post ........ spot on

r2473
06-16-2010, 11:53 AM
I think Jesus may look at the church and determine whether or not good deeds are being done through the church and by the congregation - is the church somehow making the planet a better place to live? Jesus is a kind judge. I don't think he would damn the church if they are doing good, though he probably would strongly suggest to the church administrators that the resources could be used more effectively.

What does "The Grand Inquisitor" need Jesus for?

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Yes, I do understand. I fully understand.

I also know that the fact that they are private donations doesn't make the expense any less frivolous or unnecessary.

Nowhere did I say "they shouldn't be allowed to do this." It's their money. And for all we know, they are doing a lot of good in the community. It doesn't make this any less excessive.

albino smurf
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
who build sculptures out of styrofoam?

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, I do understand. I fully understand.

I also know that the fact that they are private donations doesn't make the expense any less frivolous or unnecessary.

Nowhere did I say "they shouldn't be allowed to do this." It's their money. And for all we know, they are doing a lot of good in the community. It doesn't make this any less excessive.

Of course you think they shouldn't be allowed to do this, you call it "excessive". No one is making threads about all the money spent on so many other things that are not only excessive but destructive as well. People are harping on this statue.

decades
06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
for the life of me I can't figure out why Lebron would want to leave a place that conceived of Touchdown Jesus....

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Of course you think they shouldn't be allowed to do this, you call it "excessive". No one is making threads about all the money spent on so many other things that are not only excessive but destructive as well. People are harping on this statue.

Did I claim that they shouldn't be allowed to do it?

No?

That's because there is no reason that they shouldn't. It doesn't make it any less excessive.

If I wanted to bathe in Evian water 3 times daily, that would be excessive. That doesn't mean that I "shouldn't be allowed to do it."

r2473
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
If I wanted to bathe in Evian water 3 times daily, that would be excessive. That doesn't mean that I "shouldn't be allowed to do it."

I don't know anyone who would consider that excessive (except a Frenchman).

JustBob
06-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't taze me, Dad

Aldi Patron
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm disappointed nobody's been to Trader's World. You're all telling me you have no use for a knock off Hello Kitty backpack or a pair of nunchucks?

SlapShot
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Don't taze me, Dad

LOL!

Comment of the thread.

Love Game
06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Bhagi Katbamna

that is true. but He wouldn't countenance fraud.

fraud = theft by deception. theft.

telling people youre collecting money for one thing, then not using it for that thing is fraud.

Love Game
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
The King of Kings statue, also known as "Touchdown Jesus" or "Big Butter Jesus," was struck by lightning last night and burned to the ground. If you don't know about the statue, it's located at the Solid Rock Church in Ohio right off of 75. It was the only thing our great state had going for it.

. . .

Apparently, the builders of the statue aren't good at problem solving. If they read "how stuff works - lightning rods" they might get a clue .....

"The purpose of lightning rods is often misunderstood. Many people believe that lightning rods "attract" lightning. It is better stated to say that lightning rods provide a low-resistance path to ground that can be used to conduct the enormous electrical currents when lightning strikes occur. If lightning strikes, the system attempts to carry the harmful electrical current away from the structure and safely to ground. The system has the ability to handle the enormous electrical current associated with the strike. If the strike contacts a material that is not a good conductor, the material will suffer massive heat damage. The lightning-rod system is an excellent conductor and thus allows the current to flow to ground without causing any heat damage."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning7.htm

Yep. That's "massive heat damage" alright :shock:

Obviously, the statue acted as a lightning rod, and it obviously was made of "a material that is not a good conductor"!!!

Ooooooops :oops:

jrod
06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
that is true. but He wouldn't countenance fraud.

fraud = theft by deception. theft.

telling people youre collecting money for one thing, then not using it for that thing is fraud.

The really sad thing thing is this is not fraud. Not even close. These folk are as dumb as wood, possibly dumber. Faith has a way of making things easy. No need to ask questions or even think.

Praise the Lord and would ya please pass the white lightning?

Love Game
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
The really sad thing thing is this is not fraud. Not even close. These folk are as dumb as wood, possibly dumber. Faith has a way of making things easy. No need to ask questions or even think.

Praise the Lord and would ya please pass the white lightning?

Calling people of faith "dumb" shows your atheist prejudice. It's not fraud because they did what they said they would do with the money.

Personally, I agree that the money could have been put to a better use .......... so could the money allocated by Congress for the National Endowment for the Arts.

undertakeress
06-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I think J was mad that they mistook Poseidon for him during the design.

And I've been by Trader's world - my dad lives in TN, I'm in MI, and we're going down in a few weeks!

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
for the life of me I can't figure out why Lebron would want to leave a place that conceived of Touchdown Jesus....

I lived in Cleveland for 3 years. It was a great place to live and the fans there are really into sports and their teams.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Calling people of faith "dumb" shows your atheist prejudice. It's not fraud because they did what they said they would do with the money.

Personally, I agree that the money could have been put to a better use .......... so could the money allocated by Congress for the National Endowment for the Arts.

Yeah. I remember one of the "art" performances sponsored was an "artist" with HIV cutting himself and bleeding on the stage. Another's "art" was handing out $5 bills to drug addicted and alcoholic homeless people. People either didn't know about that or didn't care. The money used to sponsor that "art" wasn't someone's private donations but tax money earned by individuals then taken in by the govt.

That is much worse than what people are ranting about in this thread.

Dilettante
06-16-2010, 10:08 PM
In the ancient Greece or similar, this single lighting could have get rid out of a whole single religion.

OrangeOne
06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
The church has said they will rebuild the statue, at the cost of more than $500,000 or so. Vanity is so expensive these days.

That's somewhat amazing....

I suppose the only ways to rationalise such an expense would be as an investment, either in:

Marketing the church and the religion to many people
Or perhaps raising funds via the additional exposure the church receives.That said, perhaps they simply had the thing insured, and it will be rebuilt with the insurance money, which is unlikely to be able to be redirected to cash?

Unless it really is framed as the above, it's hard to think the funds couldn't be better spent.

OrangeOne
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Yeah. I remember one of the "art" performances sponsored was an "artist" with HIV cutting himself and bleeding on the stage. Another's "art" was handing out $5 bills to drug addicted and alcoholic homeless people. People either didn't know about that or didn't care. The money used to sponsor that "art" wasn't someone's private donations but tax money earned by individuals then taken in by the govt.

That is much worse than what people are ranting about in this thread.

All a matter of opinion, isn't it. Clearly the 'art' - or even the criticism of it - has had an impact on you enough for you to clearly remember and recite it. Maybe it had the impact on others to become more aware of the plight of the homeless or those with aids. Maybe some kids might be affected enough to become nurses or health-care workers, and almost every society is crying out for people in such professions.

Put another way, a society that stops appreciating and supporting art is a society that doesn't value creativity, and at least imho, creativity is the root of all successful & challenging problem-solving.

Love Game
06-17-2010, 08:47 AM
All a matter of opinion, isn't it. Clearly the 'art' - or even the criticism of it - has had an impact on you enough for you to clearly remember and recite it. Maybe it had the impact on others to become more aware of the plight of the homeless or those with aids. Maybe some kids might be affected enough to become nurses or health-care workers, and almost every society is crying out for people in such professions.

Put another way, a society that stops appreciating and supporting art is a society that doesn't value creativity, and at least imho, creativity is the root of all successful & challenging problem-solving.

I kinda don't think it's a matter of opinion. I'm sure someone somewhere has a record of whether it's churches or "artists" who have helped the poor keep soul and body together more throughout the decades.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I kinda don't think it's a matter of opinion. I'm sure someone somewhere has a record of whether it's churches or "artists" who have helped the poor keep soul and body together more throughout the decades.

Not only that. If I don't want my money to be used to build that statue, I don't donate and it isn't. If I don't want my money to be used for that "art", too bad. I have no say in the matter.

Fee
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Not only that. If I don't want my money to be used to build that statue, I don't donate and it isn't. If I don't want my money to be used for that "art", too bad. I have no say in the matter.

You realize that the amount of your money that goes to fund the NEA is probably about 3 cents a year, if that. I'm a hell of a lot more upset that my money is going to Halliburton and Blackwater then to some misguided street artist.

Anyway, let's hope if that church does commission another statue that they at least get one that isn't the very definition of tacky. Yikes, that thing was uglier than ugly.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
You realize that the amount of your money that goes to fund the NEA is probably about 3 cents a year, if that. I'm a hell of a lot more upset that my money is going to Halliburton and Blackwater then to some misguided street artist.
That is 3 cents too much. And incidently, if BP would have followed Halliburton's advice on the deepwater well, they wouldn't have had a spill.

Anyway, let's hope if that church does commission another statue that they at least get one that isn't the very definition of tacky. Yikes, that thing was uglier than ugly.

I suspect that for what the church wants it for, the tackier the better.

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Two things:

a. The problem here is one measure of progress is more tangible than the other. It's easy to look at a church soup kitchen, and see progress. It's less clear when arts funding results in societal improvements, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

b. How much of 'religion' has lead to 'war' over the years? It's rare that people decree terror on another country over a new play or painting...

You live in a non-democratic country I assume?

Claudius
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM
And that's what God thinks of idolatry.

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
And that's what God thinks of idolatry.

Post of the thread :D

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
LOL, this disproves Christianity right here.
One of the most ironic things I have ever heard of

Bhagi Katbamna
06-17-2010, 09:34 PM
You live in a non-democratic country I assume?
I live in a representative republic. If the idiot I vote for passes a law or spends money in a way that I don't like, I can vote to fire him or her but the law has been passed and the money has been spent.

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I live in a representative republic. If the idiot I vote for passes a law or spends money in a way that I don't like, I can vote to fire him or her but the law has been passed and the money has been spent.

Or you can make such people accountable beforehand. Either way, it's not exactly having no say in the matter, is it? And, on balance, if the elected party choosing to invest a little in the arts, or the roads, or whatever.... isn't in the wishes of the majority, surely it makes sense that they will indeed be called to account on such things?