PDA

View Full Version : Music Geeks: What quality & settings to rip music at for high-quality arhcives?

OrangeOne
06-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Ok, so I could go join (yet another) forum, but TT normally has enough geeks of any variety to solve my questions.

I want to rip my CDs for the last ever time (and then sell them for thousands of....probably cents ;)). I do have some moderately high-quality audio gear that I will listen to this ripped music through. It's not extreme, but it's not run of the mill $200 all-in-one either, so ripping at just 128kpbs is simply not an option.

I'll be using itunes, and doing it on an older but still good iMac. I'd need massive amounts of convincing to use anything but this combo of itunes and the imac for this task (but feel free to state your case if it's important).

I'd prefer to use MP3 as the format, and I'd be planning on using 320kbps stereo as setting.

Will I be making a mistake? Should I use VBR? What quality if so? Any guides to the other settings (filtering frequencies below 10, smart adjustments, Joint Stereo etc?)

Feel free to link any articles on the web on this, I only ever want to do this once and then never again, and I'll be ripping around 400+ CDs I guess, so it's a bit of a task - I'm willing to put the research in to get it right the first time!

Thanks in advance for any help.

zapvor
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
a friend of mine is huge into music (he spent thousands on headphones) and he uses FLAC i think. each track is like 20mb its insane. on his headphones you can tell the diff though

AudiOphiLiA
06-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Apple Lossless.

Also look into getting an audio interface, like an Apogee Duet.

OrangeOne
06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Apple Lossless.

Also look into getting an audio interface, like an Apogee Duet.

Quite funny, I saw your user name posting in another thread and thought 'with that user name s/he of all people should have an opinion'.

http://mp3.radified.com/lossless.htm

Is the best article I've read so far, and it does align with your comments. Will have a look at Apogee. Cheers!

AudiOphiLiA
06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
LOL

Or you could just get a HUGE external hard drive and rip them in WAV!

What kind of stereo setup do you have?

OrangeOne
06-15-2010, 11:59 PM
What kind of

The main one is an Onkyo Receiver, Acoustic Energy 5-speaker surround setup (a british brand that were popular in aus for a while - nice clean designs, very solid boxes, etc), and what is now a 'classic' Sony 5 disc carousel CD player - one day i'll make money selling that CD player as 'retro', it's possibly the oldest piece of tech I own that still functions as-new ;).

As I say, overall it's nothing over the top or 'audiophile' for that matter, but it's still a whole lot above the average crap and more than good enough for me to want to keep stuff preserved at CD quality, so Apple lossless it is.

As for a huge external hard drive - at 500mb a disk, so probably only 200-300gb for the lot at WAV, thesedays that's not unrealistic I guess. By all reports I'll need around half that much to store them lossless-ly anyways, but I'd rather do at least that so they're smaller on iPods and the like.

zapvor
06-16-2010, 03:42 AM
i dont post on forums...just tell them this

if they have enough disk space, they should always use lossless format.
there is no difference between different lossless format because they are all "lossless".

Mp3 320 kps CBR is a good choice and it sounds almost the same as lossless
Mp3 320 kps VBR is almost as good as 320 kps CBR

There is only minor difference between CBR and VBR
They shouldnt use below 320 kps if they want high quality audio.

CanadianChic
06-16-2010, 05:12 AM
OO, there is a typo in your title and no way to fix it! Arrggh! This sets me back a good month of therapy for my OCD.

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
OO, there is a typo in your title and no way to fix it! Arrggh! This sets me back a good month of therapy for my OCD.

Their is know tpyo in my thred titel! :D