PDA

View Full Version : O3 Tour 28" length

radical1
05-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Does anyone have or know of a way I can get my hands on a 28'' O3 Tour, the one Coria is using? Let me know.

THE ANIMAL
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Coria doesnt use a 28inch.

radical1
05-18-2005, 10:00 AM
why is it that people on this board say he does?

Ash Doyle
05-18-2005, 10:02 AM
He does appear to be using a 28" O3. The handle looks far too long to be a standard length. Also, he is coming from a POG Longbody, so he probably wouldn't want to change from what he is used to. Stringers on this board (including Thomas Martinez if I remember correctly...Sorry Thomas, if I'm wrong) have agreed that it is a 28".

TommyGun
05-18-2005, 10:05 AM
there are pictures from TW on this board of the stringing at Indian Wells, and Coria's 03's are there, definitely 28".

Look at the pics in the TW Indian Wells thread...

THE ANIMAL
05-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Those pictures show its not 28 inches because his rackets are next to Fererros who uses a 28 inch flexpoint and you can clearly see they are 1 inch longer.

TommyGun
05-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Animal,

I stand corrected. Looks to me like Coria is at 27.5, Ferraro at 28.

THE ANIMAL
05-18-2005, 10:11 AM
yup maybe 27.5 or 27 but if you look at those dunlops they are 27 inches and there about the same length.

deflori
05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
perhaps he started with a sdrtlength and without lead,and now go with a longer version with lead at 3&9...

http://www.tennisfan.org/gallery/daytwo/108.jpg

THE ANIMAL
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Here it is

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/tw_gallery/albums/userpics/10002/DSCN8495.jpg

monologuist
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
hmm..interesting thread here...it's hard to tell if Coria's racquets are 1/2" or 1" shorter than Ferrero's...funny thing is that Coria's seem to be next to , and the same length as someone's Prince Diablo MP, which is 27.25" ! just to confuse things further.

I would think that he was still playing at least a 27.5" stick though...a difference of 1" is a LOT, and takes a LONG time to get used to, especially if you've been playing one length for several years and then all of a sudden switch....then again maybe the pros are so good , it doesn't matter as much for them, switching. I thought he was using an NXG MP before the O3? If that is the case, that would make sense, since the Diablo is 27.25" and so are the NXG MP's, and that Diablo looks like it's the same length as Coria's O3 Tours!

SocalTennis
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
It seems to me that Coria's O3 doesn't have the glossy paintjob as the ones selling out there. I have one and the black part of the racquet is very glossy?...am I wrong?

El Diablo
05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Comparing the head shape of the 03 (wider up high) to the POG, one would expect a livelier upper hoop so he might be able to use a slightly shorter stick and not have to change his relative contact point.

ST
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
how do you know those O3 are for Coria? Bovina plays standard length of O3, so those could be her's.

newnuse
05-18-2005, 04:02 PM
It seems to me that Coria's O3 doesn't have the glossy paintjob as the ones selling out there. I have one and the black part of the racquet is very glossy?...am I wrong?

It might be the lights. If you look at the other rackets in that picture, they don't appear very glossy either. I know the 200 M-FIL is very glossy.

mido
05-18-2005, 07:58 PM
deflori,
That's some very old picture of Coria and old O3 verison.
New version is glossy and "prince" name starts with "p" at the handle side.
On your picture "p" -prince is on head side.
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52801945&cdi=0

FiZ
05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
that tw picture from indian wells is not corias racquet. plus he uses tournagrip. i think those o3 tours were for a female pro, but i forget the name.

deflori
05-19-2005, 02:42 AM
@mido
correct,the white "stripes" are new too..
Perhaps he startet with short,and now with the long version..
@fiz
Dont know but could be! But he used a white one at the Mixedcup with dulko,thats sure..

Ash Doyle
05-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Thomas Martinez has said those are not Coria's in that picture...and that Coria's ARE 28".

POGO
05-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Here it is

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/tw_gallery/albums/userpics/10002/DSCN8495.jpg
From theat picture, it looks like Coria's O3 Tour is 27" lenght. The difference with Ferraro's racket looks more like a good 1 inch.

POGO
05-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Thomas Martinez has said those are not Coria's in that picture...and that Coria's ARE 28".
who elses is using the O3 tour?

mido
05-19-2005, 06:51 AM
pogo, go to Prince web site and all players are listed there.
http://www.princetennis.com/teamprince/playercategories.asp

Ash Doyle
05-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Search for the thread where that picture is discussed. Thomas Martinez says those are not Coria's and are most likely Elena Bovina's.

THE ANIMAL
05-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Thing is that I donít think her racket would be mixed in like that with all male players rackets it seems to me that at that point in time in the string room just male players sticks are being strung from the other photos as well being Roddicks and Moyas sticks being restrung. Also there is a good chance that the Diablo next to the o3s could be coria's hitting partners racket in for a restring as well if we can source who his hitting partner is and what racket he uses and it comes out to be corias hitting partners frame then id say for sure itís his sticks.

monologuist
05-19-2005, 03:18 PM
well..the diablo is definitely longer than 27"...so if those are Coria's sticks, they are for sure longer than 27"...although I'm not sure I understand the logic that they must all be men's racquets in for stringing? I'd think the men and women were getting their racquets strung at the same location?

foetz
05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Search for the thread where that picture is discussed. Thomas Martinez says those are not Coria's and are most likely Elena Bovina's.

i've seen bovina using a flexpoint in rome. when did she switch?

Racketdesign
05-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I just saw a picture of his racquet on a different thread and it looked like there was a bumper guard. The O3's dont have bumpers do they??

THE ANIMAL
05-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Not sure if the first lot did but I had a swing with one the other day the o3 tour and that had a very sleek and small bumper on the top also the hole area in the top of the hoop on the bumper side wasnít that copper colour either.

Racketdesign
05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
How confusing, whatever happened to product consistancy !

bamboo
05-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Next you'll be claiming it's a painted longbody. Face it, it's a stock racquet with a couple grams of lead tape - not a magic carpet you could ride to the pro tour if you got one. Pros don't make big switches? Agassi from 21 beam to 25, how about that. It's like talking to an insane person when you deal with the "they're ALL paint jobs" crowd.

Ash Doyle
05-20-2005, 02:58 AM
I'm not claiming it's a paintjob...just a real O3 that's an inch longer. So far none of the pro stringers on the boards that would know have spoke up in this thread, but they have spoken in other threads. They work on the tour and know what the players are using. At least one has stated that Coria's O3 is 28" long and that those in that picture are not his, and anyone can see in pictures it appears to have an extended handle like a 28" racquet. I'm not promoting any conspiracy theory here, I'm just relaying some facts.

monologuist
05-20-2005, 07:57 AM
I dunno...it seems highly unlikely that Coria would want to switch to a standard length stick in mid-season when he's been playing a 100", 28" stick for years and years. Of course it's possible, (Agassi did it recently), but highly unlikely...it's such a huge difference in timing, swing mechanics to adjust to the contact point, etc.

ChiefAce
05-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I've hit with a 28 inch Prince O3 tour, Prince made about 30 of them and a fellow employee was lucky enough to receive some from Prince. Paul Goldstein is also using the 28 inch version of the O3 tour.

Coria is definitely using a 28 inch version and his is also more flexy than the 27 inch tour version being sold now.

Lakoste
05-20-2005, 06:42 PM
whats the advantages of playing with a 28"

foetz
05-21-2005, 05:17 AM
whats the advantages of playing with a 28"

just a matter of taste.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-21-2005, 10:29 AM
THE ANIMAL, your logic is flawed. You're making huge assumptions with no evidence. You have no idea who the O3 Tours belong to. TW, in the caption, stated the Heads were JCF's. I'm sure if GC's sticks were sitting right there, the caption would have included his name.

I see no reason for Coria to have changed the length of his frame. The analogy with Agassi switching to the Instinct actually proves the opposite. He switched to the Instinct for more power. Longer sticks give you more power. So, those who say GC went from 28" to something shorter, are willing to say he'd sacrifice power, the biggest commodity out on tour today? I don't think so.

Racketdesign, you're obviously an expert with regard to racquet engineering. I wanted to ask you what your opinion was on the O-port designs. Do the O-ports yield a larger sweetspot, improve aerodynamics, and this one is very hard to believe, improve stability. Here's the link that explains the technology and its benefits: http://www.princetennis.com/product/technology_library.asp?categoryid=-1&retCategoryID=37&retProductID=1312#oPort

rooski
05-21-2005, 01:29 PM
I've hit with a 28 inch Prince O3 tour, Prince made about 30 of them and a fellow employee was lucky enough to receive some from Prince. Paul Goldstein is also using the 28 inch version of the O3 tour.

Coria is definitely using a 28 inch version and his is also more flexy than the 27 inch tour version being sold now.

ChiefAce is right. They definately exist in 28". Our local pros (Team Prince guys) had one to demo a while back (along with a 27 1/2' version as well). It had quite a high SW I am told. The reality is that if Coria wanted a 29" version they would make it for him. Whats the big deal?

TommyGun
05-21-2005, 02:32 PM
My two cents, for what it is worth.

I don't know if the sweetspot really gets as big as they say, but the fact that the strings are free to move with little or no restriction will definitely give you a more lively string bed. So as large as they say? No. Bigger then before. Yes.

Aerodynamic? Hmm, that is a little tougher. If air flows through the O ports with less friction then a regular frame, I guess you could make that claim. I don't know if that is the case, as I wouldn't know where to begin to measure that.

Do the holes make it lighter in the head? Probably. So you can whip that puppy a little faster.

The stability thing to me just can't be right. Stability has nothing to do with hole size. My guess is that on the Red and Silver the beam is much, much thicker and therefore stiffer. That can add some stability. On the Tour, no way.

By the way, 28" rules. At least if you are "vertically challenged" like me...

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Yea, I concur with you about the whole stability issue. Prince tries to justify it by saying that the O ports are constructed by fusing two arches. Arches, of course, are the strongest man-made structure. But it's intuitive, actually obvious, that anything with a hole in it can't be very strong or stable.