PDA

View Full Version : Ever stayed at a Japanese capsule hotel?

hellonewman
06-17-2010, 09:10 AM
I did so in Tokyo last month, partly because it's a cheap alternative to a hotel, and partly for the unique experience.

Here's a picture slideshow.

Capsule hotel photos (http://bit.ly/ctxcj5)

Anyone else done so, what did you think?

sureshs
06-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Read about them, but first time I have seen detailed pics. Thanks.

jmverdugo
06-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, really cool and interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

sureshs
06-17-2010, 09:19 AM
I doubt if Newman would fit into these capsules.

hellonewman
06-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I doubt if Newman would fit into these capsules.

LOL. Good one, sureshs!

zapvor
06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
wow only in japan.

r2473
06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Ever been in a Turkish prison?

sureshs
06-17-2010, 09:45 AM
wow only in japan.

Yes, very efficient use of limited real estate. Like the multi-storeyed graveyards.

I liked Tokyo a lot in just the 3 days I stayed there. Actually I stayed in walking distance of Shinjuku-ku. Such polite, hard-working and friendly people are hard to come by.

ollinger
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Sounds more comfortable than the Ryokan-style hotel I stayed at in Hakone, near Mt. Fuji. They give you a rolled up bamboo mat to spread out on the wood floor for the night.

sureshs
06-17-2010, 09:49 AM
This hotel is a great experiment to identify claustrophobia.

I think I would prefer the bamboo mat on the hard floor. I need space around me.

zapvor
06-17-2010, 09:56 AM
yea japan is so crowded. i think the only single thing i may not like about the japanese is how polite they are. it takes me like 4months to realize someone doesnt like me because they insist on being so nice no matter what lol

Power Player
06-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Why no tattoos?

zapvor
06-17-2010, 09:57 AM
^ so yakuza fights dont break out in capsules

Sentinel
06-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Wow! Never heard of it. Stayed many times in Tokyo but can't recall the place. Perhaps it was somewhere near Akasaka Mitsuke.???

Some rooms were quite cramped but they often moved me to a much larger room when available.

Centered
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
One was recently closed, turned into a homeless shelter.

A better deal if you are planning to stay for a month or more is to rent a guest house. Some guest houses will rent on a weekly basis, but most don't.

If you get a guest house room, you are probably better off with a tatami room. But do what I did and sleep on two futon pads and folded blankets. It was much more comfortable than the beds.

dParis
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Cool pics, but I have a few questions.

What are the suites like?

Do they have a hand-held swimming pool?

Can you get adjoining rooms if you are travelling with your children?

Live entertainment or Karaoke in the lounge?

Do they provide a catheter, or do you have to bring your own?

Justdoit10
06-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I hope you didnt drop the soap in the "big bathing room".

Mike Bulgakov
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
If you can sleep in a couchette on a European train, a capsule hotel shouldn't be too bad. You have privacy and amenities, which couchettes lack.

In my twenties, there was a period of many years when I slept in overnight couchettes all the time while traveling in Europe. Besides the noise and rocking & rolling caused by the train navigating the tracks, many factors made it hard to sleep.

I once took an overnight from Copenhagen to Stockholm, was happy to have a compartment to myself, and had two Swedish girls enter right before the train left. They were drunk, attractive, and talkative, but this was not a good thing. I had just said goodbye to my new Danish girlfriend, and I just wanted to sleep.

After a half hour of talking, one said that it was time to sleep. While still talking to me, they stripped to their underwear and put the sheets over them. I did my best to maintain eye contact and thought, "This is really not what I need tonight."

Another time, I took an overnight to Prague, and a family came in and argued all night long. I thought the husband and wife were going to fight, and I couldn't sleep all night. These sort of things happened many times in couchettes. I would definitely prefer a capsule in Tokyo to a couchette on a European train.

When in Tokyo, I have no problem with a small room. Good location, reliable & fast internet connection, and a view of the city from a high floor are my priorities.

hellonewman
06-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Sounds more comfortable than the Ryokan-style hotel I stayed at in Hakone, near Mt. Fuji. They give you a rolled up bamboo mat to spread out on the wood floor for the night.

i stayed at ryokans too for 8 nights, including one ryokan in Hakone. had some back pain after that from sleeping on the floor. takes some getting used to, definitely

hellonewman
06-18-2010, 01:54 AM
i like your funny questions, answers below.

Cool pics, but I have a few questions.

What are the suites like?
what suites? capsules come in one size

Do they have a hand-held swimming pool?
haha no, there's a communal hot bath though (you have to be totally nude)

Can you get adjoining rooms if you are travelling with your children?
i dont think children are allowed

Live entertainment or Karaoke in the lounge?
nah, flat screen TVs showing Japanese channels

Do they provide a catheter, or do you have to bring your own?
bathroom's down the hall way

OrangeOne
06-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for posting, that is a truly unique slice of life.

CanadianChic
06-18-2010, 02:50 AM
I'm claustrophobic.

Sentinel
06-18-2010, 03:01 AM
LOL, some of you are makign it sound like a camping trip in the Himalayas !

Mike, you seem right out of a 70's/80's novel :-) Have you traveled on the Orient Express.

sureshs
06-18-2010, 08:05 AM
If you can sleep in a couchette on a European train, a capsule hotel shouldn't be too bad. You have privacy and amenities, which couchettes lack.

In my twenties, there was a period of many years when I slept in overnight couchettes all the time while traveling in Europe. Besides the noise and rocking & rolling caused by the train navigating the tracks, many factors made it hard to sleep.

I once took an overnight from Copenhagen to Stockholm, was happy to have a compartment to myself, and had two Swedish girls enter right before the train left. They were drunk, attractive, and talkative, but this was not a good thing. I had just said goodbye to my new Danish girlfriend, and I just wanted to sleep.

After a half hour of talking, one said that it was time to sleep. While still talking to me, they stripped to their underwear and put the sheets over them. I did my best to maintain eye contact and thought, "This is really not what I need tonight."

Another time, I took an overnight to Prague, and a family came in and argued all night long. I thought the husband and wife were going to fight, and I couldn't sleep all night. These sort of things happened many times in couchettes. I would definitely prefer a capsule in Tokyo to a couchette on a European train.

When in Tokyo, I have no problem with a small room. Good location, reliable & fast internet connection, and a view of the city from a high floor are my priorities.

At last, factual confirmation of the Swedish girl stereotype!

jigar
06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
What about couples.

hellonewman
06-21-2010, 05:37 AM
What about couples.

sorry, capsule is single occupancy only ;-)

some capsule hotels have female-only wings, so couples can stay in the same hotel but different parts.

El Diablo
06-21-2010, 06:06 AM
How the Japanese adapt to being so crowded together on a few islands is the most interesting thing to me about a trip to Japan. On landing approach to the airport I wondered what exactly I was seeing around homes, finally realizing that where we put lawns, they put rice paddies around private dwellings, using every square foot of available space for a purpose. Capsule hotels are a metaphor for their way of life, and the extremely low fertility rate there speaks to fears of further crowding. Two hour train commutes (each way) are not unusual for people who work in Tokyo.

agalloch
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa_Overdrive

this writer was talking about them like 22 years ago so i guess they have been around for a while,still pricey though, i think 20$ a night should be a cap set by the gov.

OKUSA
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
6'3"? Would be a squeeze that's for sure, i'd still probably do it

dennis1188
06-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Should b better now, w/ no smoking. 15 yrs ago they allowed smoking everywhere in Tokyo.

hellonewman
07-07-2010, 06:53 AM
6'3? your legs will probably hang out of the capsule :)

6'3"? Would be a squeeze that's for sure, i'd still probably do it

ProgressoR
07-07-2010, 06:58 AM
6'3? your legs will probably hang out of the capsule :)

You will have to pay extra

raiden031
07-07-2010, 07:26 AM
I thought I was going to have a panic attack just looking at the pictures from inside. It reminds me of an animal kennel from the outside.

One question I have is whether you can lock the door closed or can anyone from the outside open it up?

hellonewman
07-08-2010, 05:35 AM
nah, can't lock the wooden curtain (aka "the door")

I thought I was going to have a panic attack just looking at the pictures from inside. It reminds me of an animal kennel from the outside.

One question I have is whether you can lock the door closed or can anyone from the outside open it up?