PDA

View Full Version : 03's stringbed

SocalTennis
05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
I've just received my O3 a couple of days ago and already cut out 2 sets of strings. I usually strung my racquets at 60-62 so I went ahead and strung it at 60. The racquet felt like a board, so I strung it again at 57, felt almost the same, dead. Then I strung it at 54, still feel a little stiff on the stringbed. Is it just me? Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks

foetz
05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
change the string.

depending on your old stick the same string might feel very different.

nguyenthuc
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
I am used to playing stiffer racquets without a vibe dampener myself. The O3 is just the opposite: very flexible frame with built-in dampeners (elastomers at 6 position). The result is reduced feedback, almost muted feel that you refered to as dead. I went a 17g duraflex for more feel. The stiff duraflex (as is the Prince recommended string for the O3 Tour) counters the flexibility of the racquet better than a softer string can, IMO. For my next string job I may try an 18g duraflex for an even better feel and a potentially unmatched spin potential. In your case, however, you may want to try a 17g soft multifilament strung at 57 since you complain of a stiff stringbed. Hope that helps.

AndrewD
05-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Had quite a few hits with 03 as one of the guys I assist is using them. Found that it definately plays to its potential when you've got the thinnest gauge string you can handle. I enjoyed it with Prince Duraflex 18 - lots of spin and good power although a bit more than I need- at 60lbs. Got a good balance of control and playability with Duraflex 17g at 58lbs. Never found it to feel overly stiff though. Might be an idea to grab a few reels of Duraflex (nice and cheap but good playability) or something similar and experiment.