PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing grip size

eLterrible
05-18-2005, 03:40 PM
How do you make your grip smaller? Do you just file it down or is there a tool/method of doing it that you wont ruin ur racquet.

Gaines Hillix
05-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I am not aware of a purpose built tool for this. You can use a file or sander if it's a foam handle. Graphite handles are next to impossible to decrease in size. You have to be very careful with your measurements to make sure you remove the material equally on each bevel. The best thing to do is have a reference racquet and use a set of calipers to measure the target racquet and the one you are reducing. I think Alpha can do Wilson racquets and R P N Y T E N N I S(was JCS) may also be able to do it, but I think it costs a lot to have someone else do it.

newnuse
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
It's tricky even if it's foam. I screwed up one of my rackets trying. You almost have to be perfect, otherwise it will not feel the same.

Might want to consider selling it and buying a new one

eLterrible
05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Well the grip's not that big, it's 4 5/8 but my wrist gets sore after a while of play, could that be from gripping too hard, or from the size? But i find that using a bigger grip helps my form, no idea why but it happens.

newnuse
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
You could remove the original grip and use a thinner grip. You could also use a couple of overgrips instead.

I use sand paper on mine racket. It just never felt the same. The shape was a little different. I don't think it's possible to maintain the sharp edge either.

If you are not very sensitive about your grip, it might work for you.

eLterrible
05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
I think ill try replacing my grip with a thinner grip or even maybe a overgrip, thanks for the advice.

NoBadMojo
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
i would sell your racquet and buy another w. the right gripsize....it's just too difficult to do a good job at reducing the size of a grip. you could use 2 overgrips and no replacement grip and that would def make your grip smaller, but know that it would also likely transmit more shock

newnuse
05-18-2005, 05:47 PM
I replace the original with a double overgrip on my Fox Ceramic 210. I did not notice any more shock with it. Of course, I never had a shock issue with it to begin with.

It's simple to remove it and so give it a try. You can always put the original back on.

Honestlybad
05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
You can try removing the original grip and taping over the edges with a single layer of duck tape and then use an overgrip. Much thinner not as painful.

eLterrible
05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I just need the right shape in my handle, i'm not too conserned with comfort, but if i do use two overgrips am i supposed to wrap it twice, or double the overgrip and wrap it once?

newnuse
05-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Wrap it, tape itand repeat

If you double up and wrap once, I don't think it would be very stable. The 2 grips might shift or work themselves loose from each other.

Boy Wonder
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
i would sell your racquet and buy another w. the right gripsize....it's just too difficult to do a good job at reducing the size of a grip. you could use 2 overgrips and no replacement grip and that would def make your grip smaller, but know that it would also likely transmit more shock

I posted a thread similar to this. When you use 2 overgrips and no replacement, by how many sizes does it get smaller? For example, my normal grip size is 4 3/8, after removing it and using 2 overgrips=?

eLterrible
05-19-2005, 03:25 PM
I have yet to try to replace the grip, but all this input has really helped. I'm asking TW to post the thickness of my current grip so i can see how much i can reduce it by, by switching to the duct tape and overgrip/overgrip and overgrip. AND the shock transmit shouldn't worsen by that much should it? my current grip is a gamma hi-tech.

Boy Wonder
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Wrap it, tape itand repeat

If you double up and wrap once, I don't think it would be very stable. The 2 grips might shift or work themselves loose from each other.

Thank you for this process. I was planning on decreasing my grip size this way also and now I know the correct process. Much help for me also folks ;) Can someone please tell me though what the final grip size would be if I have a 4 3/8 now? 4 1/4 about?

eLterrible
05-19-2005, 04:15 PM
ask TW how thick your current grip is, and how thick 2 overgrips would be (i'd say around 1/8 inch thick), i asked TW but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

newnuse
05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
It's been awhile since I did it. I still have the racket, but not with me. I'll try to get and measure it this weekend. I think it went down 1 size for me, 5/8 to 1/2.

It depends on the overgrip you use. Some are much thicker than others. It also depends a great deal on how tight you wrap it. Those overgrips stretch quite a bit if you pull hard enough. This is a great way to adjust thickness when applying overgrips.

eLterrible
05-20-2005, 11:31 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH newnuse, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out, I'm trying to make my 5/8 between 3/8 - 1/2 and i needed to know if trying to use an overgrip instead was worth the change, now i think it might be, ill try it!