PDA

View Full Version : Flexpoint Radical Tour review on TENNIS June issue...

dAgEnIuS
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
For those who got the June issue of TENNIS magazine, what are your opinions on their review of FP Radical Tour???

It basically says if you can handle the weight, it's an awesome racket, but if you can't it will slow down your swing....

Do you guys think 5'7" 120lb, 15 year old can handle the weight???

Or should I got with FP Radical MP or the Pure Drive, which are about 11oz...

finchy
05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
i say dont go below 12 oz. and stay very far away from babolat.

eLterrible
05-18-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm 5'6 105lbs 16 year old with a 12 oz racquet, shouldn't feel heavy at all, esp if it's head light.

Alex
05-18-2005, 06:19 PM
dAgEnIuS... Yup!! you can handle the weight. The only thing is that, if you are not used to heavier racquet, you may need some time to blend in and build up those muscle to handle the racquet's weight.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-18-2005, 06:24 PM
finchy, there is nothing wrong with Babolat racquets. This is coming from someone who uses the Volkl C10 Pro MP, a racquet as different as you can get from the Babolat, but the Drive serious is terrific for serving and topspin, and at low tensions, the feel is quite good.

erik-the-red
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm about to be sixteen in EXACTLY one week :). I'm 5'7" and 129 pounds.

I use a Ti.Radical OS weighed somewhere between 11.2 to 11.5 ounces, I'll have to chek exactly this weekend.

Do not be afraid of a 12 ounce racquet.

Back in the day, kids younger than us used full-bodied thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen ounce racquets.

finchy
05-18-2005, 07:27 PM
finchy, there is nothing wrong with Babolat racquets. This is coming from someone who uses the Volkl C10 Pro MP, a racquet as different as you can get from the Babolat, but the Drive serious is terrific for serving and topspin, and at low tensions, the feel is quite good.

are you kidding me? you cannot string a babolat with low tension without it launching balls everywhere. especially with that woofer junk that they have? it would be like a rocket launcher!

its a very harsh racquet on the arm too.

NoBadMojo
05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
it's not so much a function of a persons's height and weight..it's about the technique and athletisism...

doriancito
05-18-2005, 07:48 PM
you can handle the weight...i have the flexpoint OS and tried the tour and there isnt much of a diference

DANMAN
05-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Actually finchy, you can string Babolats at low tensions without launching balls. It is ridiculous how many people hate Babolat rackets for so many reasons. Many of these people have personal gripes against Babolat without ever having tried them. I admit that one has to get used to the Drives, and I have found that if you do not swing out...the balls will fly--even at 60-63 pounds. If you follow through, the Pure Drive allows you to hit uncanny spin. I string my Pure Drives at 50 playing on hard courts and have no problems whatsoever with control. Obviously this is a personal opinion, but the PDs do have feel at low tensions.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-18-2005, 11:32 PM
are you kidding me? you cannot string a babolat with low tension without it launching balls everywhere. especially with that woofer junk that they have? it would be like a rocket launcher!

its a very harsh racquet on the arm too.

Well...Moya, Nadal, and many other Babolat pros play them at low tensions and they have pretty good control. Sure, if you hit flat shots, low tensions aren't a good idea, but that's not a function of the Babolat, that's the case for any racquet. The point is, as the game strays further from the net and back towards the baseline, topspin and power are the valuable commodities. With spin, this power is easily harnessed. I just don't think it's fair to denegrate one company that's done, in my estimation, a fabulous job in generating a product that fits the needs of the modern player. It's analogous to Titleist with their Pro V1 and Pro V1x. NoBadMojo, I have to throw my hats off to you for an excellent analysis of the Babolat Aeropro Drive +. You do a great point highlighting how the Babolat, and racquets of a similar kin, don't cater to players who used touch, finesse, volleys, and flat shots--but that's not the point. The point is, the game is changing and Babolat has kept up with the modern game with their great designs. finchy, I just think you're being unfair. If the Babolat doesn't suit you, fine. But let's try to keep an open-minded and be fair about these things. Also, there is no proven link between Babolats and injuries--with all do respect to the super-knowledgeable and tireless Marius Hancu. If injury were an issue, we wouldn't see players who stake their lives on playing the game using these sticks.

federer_nadal
05-18-2005, 11:49 PM
I am 14 tunring fifteen in august and i have it it is easy to swing, past racquet i have had are ps 6.0 85 and n 61 tour 90

the_arod
05-19-2005, 05:53 AM
dagenius, i'm 16 y.o. and use a 12 Oz. it's not to heavy for me.

mido
05-19-2005, 07:46 AM
My son is in late 13 (5'10"), playing B14 national tournaments and uses Head Flexpoint Tour with two Tourna grips at 12.3 oz.

Grimjack
05-19-2005, 09:27 AM
I'm convinced it would be a worthwhile exercise for every young tennis player to take two months out of his schedule to play exclusively with an old 14+ oz. woodie. Every discussion you see for the rest of your life on whether 12 oz. is "too heavy" will seem utterly absurd.

By the end of two months, even the feeblest physical specimen will be able to get a 14 oz racquet around in plenty of time on every stroke. (You may mis-hit a bunch of them, but the weight and preparation time will cease being an issue.) And when you go back to a 12 oz stick, it'll feel like a tweener.

There is practically nobody healthy enough to stand on his own power for whom even a 1 lb racquet should be too heavy to play with. We're talking about a very small amount of weight when we talk about tennis racquets. The weight barriers that seem to come with some racquets are largely psychological.

dAgEnIuS
05-19-2005, 03:32 PM
oh, and is it true that it has a small sweetspot??

leog
05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Grimjack, YOU'RE SO RIGHT ON THE $$$$. I'm not going to play with a woodie, but I cringe looking back at the days when I wanted the lightest, largest racket I could find. Even my MP seems a little light and large sometimes; always lead tape, though:)

Extreme Radical
05-20-2005, 07:44 AM
oh, and is it true that it has a small sweetspot??

I was puzzled by this comment in Tennis Magazine. I don't rely on their reviews being very accurate or making sense. It seems they have a lot of people testing racquets, but the editors only make a few subjective comments in the magazine. I'd like to see more data and some actual comments from racquet testers--more like what TW does on their site.

I didn't find the sweet spot to be any smaller than on any other 100 sq. in. racquet. The flexpoints do affect the kind of shot that is hit in the sweetspot. I'd have to say it is a more controlled shot.