PDA

View Full Version : Mid Users Swingweights

Pioneer
06-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Can anybody make a list of players using mid frames and their swingweights? Federer is obviously first on the list with 338

Pioneer
06-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Sampras - 367

(K)evin
06-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Can anybody make a list of players using mid frames and their swingweights? Federer is obviously first on the list with 338

actually:
Roger Federer - 364g , Balance: 31.8 , SW: 354

Pioneer
07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
actually:
Roger Federer - 364g , Balance: 31.8 , SW: 354

Nope, Greg Raven has his racquet: http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/federer_wilson_k.html

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Nope, Greg Raven has his racquet: http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/federer_wilson_k.html

It's outdated. Remember how Murray went from 400+ to around 340? Pros DO change their setups sometimes.

Pioneer
07-02-2010, 02:12 AM
It's outdated. Remember how Murray went from 400+ to around 340? Pros DO change their setups sometimes.

Murray went from 400 to around 370, not 340. 345g is his static weight, he dropped it from around 355g. Greg Raven's specs are not outdated, it's the K6.1 paintjob, it's from 2009 I think.

ivo
07-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Greg Raven's specs are not outdated, it's the K6.1 paintjob, it's from 2009 I think.

But it's not clear if Greg got this racquet with or without lead under bumperguard, where Roger currently use it ( according P1 pictures)

Pioneer
07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
It's after, because he has the little sticker with Roger's name and tension right above the grip tape. I believe they only add the lead tape for matching purposes on his K6.1.

What about hewitt's SW, any info on that?

Pioneer
07-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Greg Raven also has his N6.1 which has pretty similar specs with a SW of 330 http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/federer_wilson_n.html

Povl Carstensen
07-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I would also think 362,5 g's is with overgrip and a bit of lead to match the frames.

Pioneer
07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I think it came from the pics P1 posted of his racquets, which all had around 24 inches of lead or so (not too accurate, just an estimation) under the bumper. Some people figured out that it brought the SW up to around 354, and I believe someone with a spot close to Fed's stuff confirmed it.

24 inches? 24 inches would be 24 grams under the bumper, meaning his SW would be 336 + 24x3=408 kgxcm2. We can easily find out how much lead they put at 12 for his K6.1 by taking the racquet's static weight 354g, add an overgrip and powerpads and it goes to 360g. We know that he has to get to a static of 362.5, meaning he adds 2.5g at 12, which wouldn't raise the SW by more that 6 points really.

pyrokid
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
24 inches? 24 inches would be 24 grams under the bumper, meaning his SW would be 336 + 24x3=408 kgxcm2. We can easily find out how much lead they put at 12 for his K6.1 by taking the racquet's static weight 354g, add an overgrip and powerpads and it goes to 360g. We know that he has to get to a static of 362.5, meaning he adds 2.5g at 12, which wouldn't raise the SW by more that 6 points really.

He might also start out with the lighter of the K90s that wilson makes.
There's really no definitive way to know without getting his racquet.

And I guess 24 was really far off, maybe more like 12. (still an estimate. I'll try to find the pics. )

ivo
07-05-2010, 11:02 AM
We know that he has to get to a static of 362.5, meaning he adds 2.5g at 12, which wouldn't raise the SW by more that 6 points really.

Here is picture of his real K Factor racquet on the scale and it was 365g ( it was posted here). So maybe 5grams at 12 then?

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/p1010801u.jpg/

Also somebody was counted how long was his lead on P1 pictures and it was like 3-4 grams .

Pioneer
07-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Here is picture of his real K Factor racquet on the scale and it was 365g ( it was posted here). So maybe 5grams at 12 then?

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/p1010801u.jpg/

Also somebody was counted how long was his lead on P1 pictures and it was like 3-4 grams .

3 grams at 12 is like +9 on the swingweight. You'd expect the specs on each stick to vary a little though

Anyway, could we please drop the federer SW debate. a professional racquet technician has his frame as played and until we get someone else to put fed's stick on an RDC and tell us the readings, those are fed's specs.

Anybody know about hewitt?

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-13-2010, 08:14 PM
You think he's using the BLX? I think he's just using painted K6.1s. After all, he has been using it for quite a while.

If what you say is true about Murray's SW dropping a lot, then maybe his super high SW was pulling him back? Food for thought for all the die-hard-SW2ers here

I'm not quite sure yet. As far as I know, Wilson has not made any claims that Federer has actually switched, like they did last time. If I were Federer, I would not switch to such a dead racket. But maybe he really did. Then again, the note on P1's new pics said "new pj", or something along those lines. Though they wouldn't know the difference as they don't hit with them and they probably wouldn't notice a difference anyway.

As for the high swingweight, it wasn't holding him back so much as it was too much for him to handle. Yes, injuries do hold you back, but the racket itself wasn't the direct cause of him being held back, more like it promoted the injuries that did that. That's why I advocate not going for more than you can handle.

I think it came from the pics P1 posted of his racquets, which all had around 24 inches of lead or so (not too accurate, just an estimation) under the bumper. Some people figured out that it brought the SW up to around 354, and I believe someone with a spot close to Fed's stuff confirmed it.

That's a very bad estimate... It looked closer to 6-10 inches based on the racket, which means 3-5 grams (since it was 2 strips; one on each side of the strings).

The lead they use is .25 grams per inch. That means it's +6 grams. Also, I don't think your calculations are correct, but I'm too lazy to check. Probably closer to a 10 unit increase.

hey fullcourt I was just giving info from another post I think I searched US Open pro player specs on here to look for it but another poster put that and I was relaying it. But I do believe these specs to be correct because we all saw the lead on p1 and with a stock K90 all it would take is around 5 to 6 grams at 12 o clock to make it to that swing weight and after all everyone here on tw talk believes roger's frame is polarized so that seems right especially with rafa's being something of a 354 or 355 as well (i forgot which the post said)

Shouldn't be that high. Greg Raven got a hold of Federer's finished custom K90s and the swingweights weren't that high. Federer isn't the type to make drastic changes.

jackson vile
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM

You can easily take that specs from they company that actually customizes those rackets comenting on the leading etc and gave actually picturesLOL

Greg's specs are F'ed up. Gasquet's SW is not ~384, and is impossible with the static weight and balance.

Also wanted to add, other people the own the actual racket of these different players have measured different specs than what Greg has. IE that very Gasquet racket, which said person actully recieved on court from Gasquet himself.

Povl Carstensen
07-15-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm not quite sure yet. As far as I know, Wilson has not made any claims that Federer has actually switched, like they did last time. If I were Federer, I would not switch to such a dead racket. But maybe he really did. Then again, the note on P1's new pics said "new pj", or something along those lines. Though they wouldn't know the difference as they don't hit with them and they probably wouldn't notice a difference anyway.

I think they would notice, since I noticed from comparing the two rackets (they are a different mould). Also I think they would know, being the top racket technicians/experts, working for the top player of the era.

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-17-2010, 08:16 PM
You can easily take that specs from they company that actually customizes those rackets comenting on the leading etc and gave actually picturesLOL

Greg's specs are F'ed up. Gasquet's SW is not ~384, and is impossible with the static weight and balance.

Also wanted to add, other people the own the actual racket of these different players have measured different specs than what Greg has. IE that very Gasquet racket, which said person actully recieved on court from Gasquet himself.

As disappointingly confusing as this is for those who want to know the exact specs for the rackets of professional ATP players, their specs actually do vary from tournament to tournament. Sometimes it's as little as 2 grams. Sometimes it goes up to 7, or even more, for the differential.

I think they would notice, since I noticed from comparing the two rackets (they are a different mould). Also I think they would know, being the top racket technicians/experts, working for the top player of the era.

Really now...? I'm pretty sure they're of the exact same mold. If you could post your findings and if possible put up pictures as well to support your findings (as I don't own a BLX90, but am thinking of buying a few since I can get it for $110, though they do suck), I might agree.

Also, we've asked them. They DON'T know other than the insider information they've been given. I'm pretty sure they don't go to Wilson's factory to pick up Federer's rackets, the rackets are shipped to them. We've also received confirmation from Ron Yu that they don't hit with his rackets, and that even if they did they wouldn't notice any difference.

They may be great racket technicians, but they still are only experts in matching, customizing, and stringing rackets. They aren't experts in EVERYTHING that's racket related.

Povl Carstensen
07-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Really now...? I'm pretty sure they're of the exact same mold. If you could post your findings and if possible put up pictures as well to support your findings (as I don't own a BLX90, but am thinking of buying a few since I can get it for $110, though they do suck), I might agree.

Also, we've asked them. They DON'T know other than the insider information they've been given. I'm pretty sure they don't go to Wilson's factory to pick up Federer's rackets, the rackets are shipped to them. We've also received confirmation from Ron Yu that they don't hit with his rackets, and that even if they did they wouldn't notice any difference.

They may be great racket technicians, but they still are only experts in matching, customizing, and stringing rackets. They aren't experts in EVERYTHING that's racket related.

I have compared the two in the shop (K 90, BLX 90). The dent in the racket for the bumperstrip is differently shaped, hence different mould.
And I just dont agree with you on your other point, but ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion and beliefs.

Duval_Radical
07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I currently own the youtek radical pro, which is the same racquet used by Andy Murray, and the swingweight is 345. The racquet is somewhat like @ 11.1 unstrung, but because of balance point, it swings like its a lot heavier. Personally, i love it.

Pioneer
07-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Gasquet's specs look quite realistic to me. He does use a larger headsize which demands a higher swingweight for stability. Keep in mind his racquets are over 27 in. so a very high swingweight is easily achieved.

Pioneer
07-24-2010, 09:55 AM

As for the high swingweight, it wasn't holding him back so much as it was too much for him to handle. Yes, injuries do hold you back, but the racket itself wasn't the direct cause of him being held back, more like it promoted the injuries that did that. That's why I advocate not going for more than you can handle.

That's a very bad estimate... It looked closer to 6-10 inches based on the racket, which means 3-5 grams (since it was 2 strips; one on each side of the strings).

The lead they use is .25 grams per inch. That means it's +6 grams. Also, I don't think your calculations are correct, but I'm too lazy to check. Probably closer to a 10 unit increase.

Shouldn't be that high. Greg Raven got a hold of Federer's finished custom K90s and the swingweights weren't that high. Federer isn't the type to make drastic changes.

I was joking man. But in general I use the USTA calculator, punch in the specs of a racquet and then use the tool to add weight at different locations. This provides me with a really good estimate of what I'll get after adding lead, and I've noticed that adding lead at 12 o'clock (67-68cm point) adds 3 SW points per gram, whereas adding lead at 9 o'clock (54cm) adds roughly 1.9 SW points per gram. It's quite useful cause if you only have 1 or 2 racquets you can know their measurements by heart and estimate your swingweight before you try a different setup

Pioneer
08-01-2010, 09:43 AM
removed
10 chars

skyzoo
08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I currently own the youtek radical pro, which is the same racquet used by Andy Murray, and the swingweight is 345. The racquet is somewhat like @ 11.1 unstrung, but because of balance point, it swings like its a lot heavier. Personally, i love it.

Murray doesn't use any Youtek radical pro...