PDA

View Full Version : world cup coaches

markmdfw
06-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow, So many coaches are not from where they are coaching from! I am new to watching soccer I think I watched alot of the last world cup but still new to soccer. Its quite addicting!

What do you guys think about the Hired guns for coaches?

Marcus

coyfish
06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Well coaching isn't like playing. Coaches gain experience by training lots of players which isn't always possible in countries lacking quality soccer programs. Just like many players play in leagues outside their native countries.

I think good coaches allow the players to make the most of their opportunity.

I think its great that the vast majority of players are actually from their representative countries which is the important thing imo.

West Coast Ace
06-20-2010, 01:26 PM
What do you guys think about the Hired guns for coaches?Not surprising in the developing countries. They need the experience and are willing to deal with the language difficulties.

But I am shocked that England would have a non-Brit. You'd think they'd have a homegrown guy who could do the job. Too much pressure; not worth the ordeal?

Legend of Borg
06-20-2010, 01:51 PM
If England does not deliver against Slovenia (and it doesn't look like they will) then Capello's head will roll over this. Worst WC performance by England in a while.

Feņa14
06-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Not surprising in the developing countries. They need the experience and are willing to deal with the language difficulties.

But I am shocked that England would have a non-Brit. You'd think they'd have a homegrown guy who could do the job. Too much pressure; not worth the ordeal?

Nah, we don't have too many good home grown coaches.

Having said that, it looks like Roy Hodgson could possibly take over when Capello leaves in the next week or so, although it's possible he's already signed on with Liverpool.

rovex
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Having said that, it looks like Roy Hodgson could possibly take over when Capello leaves in the next week or so,.

Capello leaving? Well, i don't think there's a better coach than Capello and if he can't get England winning the big matches i doubt anyone else can.

West Coast Ace
06-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Capello leaving? According to The Telegraph, yes. Without pay (I assume they'll cover his airfare, hotel, meals, and calls home - LOL!):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7842089/World-Cup-2010-FA-expect-Fabio-Capello-to-resign-if-England-fail-to-qualify-from-Group-C.html

Feņa14
06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Capello leaving? Well, i don't think there's a better coach than Capello and if he can't get England winning the big matches i doubt anyone else can.

Yeah, if he doesn't get to at least the quarter final then it looks like he will leave.

Capello has made an awful lot of mistakes at this tournament, he got involved in the Capello index which started things off, he made mistakes with his squad selection where he showed no faith in the players who got him there by trying to get players out of retirement. He also refuses to name his team early, how are they supposed to work on chemistry and patterns in training if they don't know who they will be playing with? Not to mention his insistance on a crap out of date 4-4-2 that none of the players are suited to.

He also has a dictatorial way of treating the players which puts them under even more pressure, they fear making a mistake so cannot express themselves.

I think there are an awful lot of other managers who can do a better job, Roy Hodgson who has been mentioned has an awful lot of experience with International football and getting the very best from players, especially the ones who aren't the most talented. He's done it with Switzerland and Finland on the International stage where he shocked many with the results he achieved.

Look at three of the best managers in the game today, Mourinho, Ferguson and Ancelotti. The thing they have in common is the knack of eeking out every last drop of talent from their players, something Capello doesn't really do. Capello also isn't a manager you can feel warm to and leave everything out there for, players go out and are willing to put themselves on the line for a Mourinho or Ancelotti whilst Capello is pretty cold. There was a story a few weeks back where at a team meeting Capello made the whole team watch videos of Glen Johnson's throw ins, what good does slating a player for throw ins in front of the rest of the team do for morale?

rainingaces
06-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Nah, we don't have too many good home grown coaches.

Having said that, it looks like Roy Hodgson could possibly take over when Capello leaves in the next week or so, although it's possible he's already signed on with Liverpool.

Nah, we just don't give top jobs to Englishmen.

Hodgson would do well at liverpool if they are patient.

markmdfw
06-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the insight!

rovex
06-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, if he doesn't get to at least the quarter final then it looks like he will leave.

Capello has made an awful lot of mistakes at this tournament, he got involved in the Capello index which started things off, he made mistakes with his squad selection where he showed no faith in the players who got him there by trying to get players out of retirement. He also refuses to name his team early, how are they supposed to work on chemistry and patterns in training if they don't know who they will be playing with? Not to mention his insistance on a crap out of date 4-4-2 that none of the players are suited to.

He also has a dictatorial way of treating the players which puts them under even more pressure, they fear making a mistake so cannot express themselves.

I think there are an awful lot of other managers who can do a better job, Roy Hodgson who has been mentioned has an awful lot of experience with International football and getting the very best from players, especially the ones who aren't the most talented. He's done it with Switzerland and Finland on the International stage where he shocked many with the results he achieved.

Look at three of the best managers in the game today, Mourinho, Ferguson and Ancelotti. The thing they have in common is the knack of eeking out every last drop of talent from their players, something Capello doesn't really do. Capello also isn't a manager you can feel warm to and leave everything out there for, players go out and are willing to put themselves on the line for a Mourinho or Ancelotti whilst Capello is pretty cold. There was a story a few weeks back where at a team meeting Capello made the whole team watch videos of Glen Johnson's throw ins, what good does slating a player for throw ins in front of the rest of the team do for morale?

I guess so. But the FA rotating managers like there is no tomorrow is crazy. How is a team supposed to gel together when a new manager comes in every European and World Cup?