PDA

View Full Version : LCD, LED, or Plasma TV?

TennisBalkan
06-20-2010, 01:13 PM
In your opinion, which of these three types of tvs (LCD, LED, Plasma) is the best overall and why?

Racer41c
06-20-2010, 02:11 PM
In your opinion, which of these three types of tvs (LCD, LED, Plasma) is the best overall and why?

I really like my 50" plasma, but I have to vote LCD because the plasma just generates so much heat.

rovex
06-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Plasma. MOre expensive than LCD though. But well worth it i think.

doctor dennis
06-20-2010, 02:20 PM
The new LED's are the shiznit. They are definately the best out of the three you've mentioned but the Panasonic 3D tv's are what ya want if you've got the dough to get one.

Regards

Juges8932
06-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Plasma. They last just as long now as the others, don't overheat, and are the best quality.

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:07 PM
A year ago, plasma tv's offered the best price/quality ratio. But LCD's have come down in price considerably since then so it's pretty much even now. If we're just talking picture quality, plasma still wins although LED's are now capable of producing deeper blacks. If your tv is in a room where ambient light is difficult to control (lots of windows), then LCD/LED is preferable because they produce less reflections. Although "glossy" screens are almost as bad as plasma.

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:10 PM
FYI these are only TWO types of tv. LCD/LED both use an LCD panel, it's just the way the panel is backlit that is different.

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh, and choosing a tv based on what you see in stores is useless. :)

Algo214
06-20-2010, 03:11 PM
LCD>LED>Plasma

OrangeOne
06-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Whatever's newest. It must be best, right? ;)

Has plasma's energy use come down? The heat and the associated energy was the killer for them when LCD first came out....

Best TV I've used in the last 2 years was a Sony, and it was a CRT(!!!). The fact that it was a studio monitor worth a rather lot may have had something to do with it...

OrangeOne
06-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh, and choosing a tv based on what you see in stores is useless. :)

Well, depends on the store (ie. some stores have viewing rooms, etc).

But whatever you do, make sure you watch something real (preferably take along a movie or show you know well), don't fall for the trick of the store playing cartoon / animation. Almost any TV looks good with bright animation.

West Coast Ace
06-20-2010, 03:24 PM
LCD>LED>PlasmaI'm with you.

Plasma. They last just as long now as the others, don't overheat, and are the best quality.That must be a recent change. I lost track of how many friends/co-workers had plasmas overheat and go bad.

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
LCD>LED>Plasma

Ridiculous.

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, depends on the store (ie. some stores have viewing rooms, etc).

But whatever you do, make sure you watch something real (preferably take along a movie or show you know well), don't fall for the trick of the store playing cartoon / animation. Almost any TV looks good with bright animation.

I was referring to your usual Best Buy or Future Shop stores. They usually have the brightness/contrast cranked up to the max (on "Vivid" mode) so customers walk by and go "oh! look at how clear and bright the picture is!". Well yeah, but natural/optimal? No way. Plus, tv's usually do not have optimal settings out of the box and require a minimum of calibration. If you search for your brand/model# on HT or AVS forums, you're likely to find that someone has already done the job for you, so just use these settings. Or, without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a pro ISF calibration, just get a Digital Essentials or Avia disc and do it yourself.

Algo214
06-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Ridiculous.
maybe but it's just an opinion :)

AudiOphiLiA
06-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Tough question... been heavily debated for a long time.

Each side has their valid arguments. What is the criteria for "best"? Each technology has their special features, benefits, and advantages. Value is highly subjective. I presume you're gonna be watching HD cable/satellite and blu-ray... What is you're viewing environment like (can you control your lighting). What is your projected budget?

Plasma was the best hands down for a long time, until Sony figured out how to get deeper blacks and handle fast motion with their LCD technology. I remember selling and designing home theaters several years ago, Pioneer Elite released the first 1080p plasma priced at just about 10k, and these displays were a value compared to Runco's plasmas priced at 20k. And this was 2006! The same technology can be found today for less than 3K!

Oh yeah... and don't forget about the projectors, cabling, surround sound, and AV furniture!

For those interested in delving really deep into it, visit this website:

http://www.avsforum.com/

NickC
06-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Get of of those 3D-TV things. Those, I hear, are wicked cool.

OrangeOne
06-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Get of of those 3D-TV things. Those, I hear, are wicked cool.

Until you get the headaches....

Apparently they're good and fun for short viewing sessions. People that have watched them for long periods apparently report headaches that may have something to do with your brain / eyes being 'tricked' to focus & interpret 'incorrectly'.

Be interesting to hear what people say about them in a year or two...

LameTennisPlayer
06-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Until you get the headaches....

Be interesting to hear what people say about them in a year or two...

obesity rate will go up, credit debt will go up, only to bring out something bigger and better than before to waste yr time and money on...

jigar
06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Plasma over 50 inches
under that LCD or LED.

LEDs are technically LCD only.

This is not the best place to ask the question. Search on Google and you will find better answers then tennis players.

Kevin T
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Ridiculous.

Agreed. My Panasonic plasma blows my LCD away for sports, which is the #1 reason I watch TV. Though LCD/LED have improved, plasmas are still superior for sports/fact action TV. I still have a 5yo 42" Panasonic plasma in my bedroom-never had a problem. In terms of energy use, we're talking a few dollars more/month vs. LCD-not a big deal to me. You can get a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma with Internet connectivity for <$1200 these days. What else do you need?

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Crt is the HolyGrail. But if you must buy a flat panel get a plasma.

Ultra2HolyGrail
06-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Plasma over 50 inches
under that LCD or LED.

LEDs are technically LCD only.

This is not the best place to ask the question. Search on Google and you will find better answers then tennis players.

Not really. Depends how knowledgeable some tennis players are on home theater.

Bottom line, if you want the best PQ, best contrast, best color, get a plasma.
If you watch mostly in a bright room get a lcd. If you want to hook up a computer or play video games on it non stop- get a lcd.

Berundi
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I have plasma, but LCD will take over in the future.

mucat
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
If you watch cartoons like Dora the Explorer, Barbies, Snow white, etc., LCD/LED is the best.

If you want to watch Tennis, plasma is the way to go.

crystal_clear
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Plasma looks dark.

LCD and LED looks the same to me except LED is more energy efficient. Any other difference between LCD and LED?

dlk
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I have Panasonic Plasma, but I find I'm more captivated by LCDs. Not too sure about LEDs.

Cpetford95
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Wow plasma is the worst by far

Cpetford95
12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
LCD are good that's what I have

Cpetford95
12-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Led is amazing the best by far

crystal_clear
12-07-2010, 06:24 PM
What about 3D TV? Anyone has 3D experience?

Bartelby
12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
LED is an LCD but much slimmer and much more energy efficient, so it is the one to get if you want something up to 40"-42".

accidental
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Plasma is the best for watching sports, especially tennis imo.

Bartelby
12-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Is there any real difference between 50/60 and 100/120 for tennis?

accidental
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Is there any real difference between 50/60 and 100/120 for tennis?

In my opinion there is. In my home there is a 4 year old Panasonic plasma and a 1 year old Samsung LCD. Everyone agrees its much better watching sport on the plasma.

Also every bar/pub seems to have Plasma's around where I live constantly playing sports channels

Fedace
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Plasma. MOre expensive than LCD though. But well worth it i think.

Doesn't Plasma burn in and leave a screen image burned in ? and you have to toss it and buy an new one....:(

Fedace
12-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I have plasma, but LCD will take over in the future.

Which is the best for Super HD as in Blue Ray quality type of pictures. That will be the future. It will be like the person is right there. so when Maria Kirilenko or Maria plays naked,,,,,it will be like they are right there with you. It is that crystal clear.

Which TV is best for that ??? LCD ???:confused:

Bartelby
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for that.

In my opinion there is. In my home there is a 4 year old Panasonic plasma and a 1 year old Samsung LCD. Everyone agrees its much better watching sport on the plasma.

Also every bar/pub seems to have Plasma's around where I live constantly playing sports channels

Ken Honecker
12-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Dollarwise it is hard to beat the 73 inch DLP I bought for $1000 last Spring. In the stores it isn't as bright as the others but I happen to have blackout curtains in my living room so it isn't fighting a lot of ambiant light. Finally saw one of the 82 inchers in the store the other day. Now that is a Big TV!

crystal_clear
12-11-2010, 09:56 PM
What about 3D plasma vs 3D LED/LCD?