PDA

View Full Version : Brace yourselves - The 100 Most Disturbing Movies of all Time.

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Not usually a bif fan of "lists" but this one is pretty good, aside for a couple of questionable inclusions and omissions. Of course "disturbing" can refer to themes/subject matter, imagery, etc... so don't be surprised to see "Schindler's List" next to "Slaughtered Vomit Dolls". :)

Amongst the usual suspects we find films by Lynch, Cronenberg, Hanneke, Polanski, Solondz, Miike, etc... along with cult favorites like "Cannibal Holocaust" and "Men Behind the Sun". Of course some of these require a rather strong stomach, Passolini's infamous "Salo" for example, and you will find some rather vile, nasty, exploitative pieces of filmmaking like "August Underground Mordum" and the Japanese (quasi snuff films) "Guinea Pig" series.

Fun for the whole family! NOT! :)

Note: Movie posters are used (in no particular order) and titles are sometimes difficult to read. Hint, put your mouse on a poster and the title will pop up.

http://media.gunaxin.com/the-100-most-disturbing-movies-of-all-time/22591

JustBob
06-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Oh, I've seen 65 of these but I've heard/read about most of them. Not sure how disturbed an individual that makes me. :)

NickC
06-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Why the hell is Schindeler's List on there? One of the most moving and powerful films ever made IMO.

And I saw Clockwork Orange on there. Now that's a creepy film; I watched that with my roommate during my freshman year of college while he was on LSD and the kid couldn't sleep for a week - it scared the s**t out of him. Poor kid.

But the inclusion of Ringu is brilliant - too bad the American version sucked. Most of the other films were obvious.

CanadianChic
06-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Why the hell is Schindeler's List on there? One of the most moving and powerful films ever made IMO.

No one is claiming it is not moving and powerful but it is also disturbing. I have not met anyone yet who wasn't extremely disturbed by the images, the history and the truth. I was very uncomfortable watching the movie for many reasons.

dis·turb (d-stūrb)
tr.v. dis·turbed, dis·turb·ing, dis·turbs
1. To break up or destroy the tranquillity or settled state of: "Subterranean fires and deep unrest disturb the whole area" (Rachel Carson).
2. To trouble emotionally or mentally; upset.
a. To interfere with; interrupt: noise that disturbed my sleep.
b. To intrude on; inconvenience: Constant calls disturbed her work.
4. To put out of order; disarrange.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disturbing

viduka0101
06-20-2010, 05:07 PM

And I saw Clockwork Orange on there. Now that's a creepy film; I watched that with my roommate during my freshman year of college while he was on LSD and the kid couldn't sleep for a week - it scared the s**t out of him. Poor kid.

But the inclusion of Ringu is brilliant - too bad the American version sucked. Most of the other films were obvious.

actually I don't think Schindlers list is a bad choice there
what I don't understand is why so much ridiculous exploitation movies?
seriously some of these are just laughably bad,incoherent,uninteresting and time wasting pieces of crap made by incompetent directors to earn some easy cash
they're not disturbing at all, actually I watched some of them with my friends and we laughed how bad they are
on the other hand A Clockwork Orange is a brilliant movie but I don't find it disturbing
IMO Changeling is a disturbing movie
this is just a stupid list put together without thinking

viduka0101
06-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I just noticed they put Antichrist there
a friend showed me this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L2ooG_MX9E) when we were drinking one night at home and we couldn't stop laughing
I watched the whole movie later,it's such a piece of crap it's unbelievable

JustBob
06-20-2010, 05:25 PM
this is just a stupid list put together without thinking

I disagree. As far as "lists" go, it's actually pretty good. Now whether or not YOU find some of these films crap, amateurish, not disturbing,... is another story...

I don't find most of the so-called "cult classics" exploitation films particularly disturbing but that doesn't mean they don't belong on that list.

viduka0101
06-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I disagree. As far as "lists" go, it's actually pretty good. Now whether or not YOU find some of these films crap, amateurish, not disturbing,... is another story...

I don't find most of the so-called "cult classics" exploitation films particularly disturbing but that doesn't mean they don't belong on that list.

I admit I may have exaggerated a bit calling the list stupid but most of the movies on the list I don't find disturbing,I think they're laughable

babbette
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Ooh bookmarking this thread. Will definitely check out the link later.

Court_Jester
06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Good to see some of the movies listed that I thought were disturbing (Teeth, Uzumaki, Suicide Club, etc). Being a fan of foreign films (as well as horror), they should have included the movie "Tomie" and its sequels. Something about a living disembodied head creeps me out just thinking about it. :shock:

EDIT: I hated the twist at the end of Haute Tension (US: "High Tension"). It ruined the entire film for me.

viduka0101
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
the list reminded me of Jacob's Ladder
haven't watched the movie in years(about 6-7) but I remember it scared me
I'll have to download it and watch it again

NonP
06-20-2010, 06:51 PM
It's a decent list, I guess. Your mileage will vary based on your general opinion of such titillating fare. Like viduka0101 I find most horror flicks laughable.

Ringu is indeed one of the better ones. But disturbing? No, unless you're genuinely disturbed by the supernatural rigmarole.

Also The Innocents, despite the questionable casting of Deborah Kerr as the young protagonist (she was almost 40 years old at the time), is more disturbing than some of these movies combined.

GetBetterer
06-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Which one was the one about the guy who kidnaps hot chicks, feeds them McDonalds as the only food and gets them fat only to have a website dedicated to betting on their death date?

Also, which one was about the guy who loses adrenaline for each hit his website gets until death, again one they can bet on?

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Which one was the one about the guy who kidnaps hot chicks, feeds them McDonalds as the only food and gets them fat only to have a website dedicated to betting on their death date?

Also, which one was about the guy who loses adrenaline for each hit his website gets until death, again one they can bet on?

These both actually sound kinda good

Photoshop
06-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Oh, I've seen 65 of these but I've heard/read about most of them. Not sure how disturbed an individual that makes me. :)
Which one was most disturbing? if you have to pick one :)

From what I've heard these are some of the worst:

Audition
Cannibal Holocaust
Guinea Pig
Irreversible
Man Bites Dog
Men Behind the Sun
Salo
The Human Centipede

and I thought scenes in Hostel were disturbing :neutral:

Claudius
06-20-2010, 07:49 PM
It's not a movie, but the most disturbing thing I ever saw was 3 guys 1 hammer.
If you're against the death penalty, I guarantee this video will change your mind.

I recommend that you don't watch it though.

jigar
06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Truely indeed

jmverdugo
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
The movies I have seen from that list are:

Funny Games (Really Disturbing)
Clockwork Orange (Somehow disturbing, more shocking than disturbing IMO)
American History X (Disturbing for sure!)
Deliverance (Yes also disturbing specially because I was Very young when I first saw it)
Irreversible (... disturbing....)
Requiem for a dream (shocking and disturbing)
The Schnider's List ( not so disturbing by itself but the fact that it is based on real events makes it saddly disturbing IMO)
The Exorcist (Not so disturbing but very scary)
The Girl Next Door (This one is really disturbing but An American Crime - which narrates the real story in which is based The Girl Next Door - is IMO a beast of a movie)
Trainspotting (so so disturbing)

That is for me.

OKUSA
06-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Trainspotting wasn't disturbing for me at least.

The Holy Mountain, now that's probably the most disturbing movie ever. How it did not make the list is beyond me, it can't be compared with anything I've seen on that list at all

Larrysümmers
06-20-2010, 10:33 PM
If you're against the death penalty, I guarantee this video will change your mind.

oh god words cannot describe the horror :( i had tears in my eyes, and ive seen some pretty messed up stuff

atatu
06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I could not open the list, was "29 Palms" on the list ? If not, it should be.

JustBob
06-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Which one was most disturbing? if you have to pick one :)

From what I've heard these are some of the worst:

Audition
Cannibal Holocaust
Guinea Pig
Irreversible
Man Bites Dog
Men Behind the Sun
Salo
The Human Centipede

and I thought scenes in Hostel were disturbing :neutral:

"Salo" is probably the hardest to watch. It's nihilistic to the extreme, like one big primal screen scream of disgust and rage towards the human race. It's shocking of course (but not in a 'B' movie sleaze manner) and depressing as hell.

"Audition" is a slow burn of a film which slowly gets under your skin. The ending of course, packs one hell of a punch. Extremely effective.

"Cannibal Holocaust" didn't do much for me aside from the animal cruelty scenes. It was a bit of a let down. I found "Men Behind the Sun" to be much more disturbing.

"Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood", "August Underground Mordum" and "Murder Set Pieces" are all pretty nasty and vile.

"Man Bites Dog" is disturbing but it's also pretty funny. Loads of dark humor in it. As far as serial killers go, "Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer" is far more disturbing IMHO.

As far as choosing one, there's "Salo" of course but if I had to pick another one it would probably be Marina de Van's "In My Skin". It's about a young woman who, after an accident, becomes obsessed with her own body and starts indulging in self-mutilation. Good film actually.

JustBob
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
The Holy Mountain, now that's probably the most disturbing movie ever. How it did not make the list is beyond me, it can't be compared with anything I've seen on that list at all

But Jodorowsky's "El Topo" is on that list. Same director, same kind of film. Both are equally disturbing but it's hard to make heads or tails of these films.

There were other films of that kind made during that period, all based on surrealism, mysticicm and religious provocation. Watch Fernando Arrabal's "Viva la Muerte" and "I Will Go Like a Wild Horse" for example, which I thought should have been on that list as well.

Legend of Borg
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM

I don't think I'll watch this after reading some comments on the net. Sounds awfully disturbing. Apparently those guys (called the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs) are serving a life sentence in Ukraine. Those psychotics remind of of Ed Gein, another schizo who committed equally disturbing crimes.