PDA

View Full Version : This isn't my fault, but I still feel embarrassed.

ccmasterk
06-20-2010, 06:01 PM
So here's the deal:

I just reached the semis of a sectional tournament about an hour away from where I live. I'm 16, and in New Jersey, so I can't drive. The only ride I could get was from a cousin of mine that knows just about nothing related to tennis. He's to drop me off, and my mom's to pick me up, because he supposedly has to leave right after he drops me off. But at the last second, he says he can stay and watch; I didn't really care either way, but here's where it gets interesting:

So I'm getting absolutely creamed by this kid that's way better than me (he eventually won the championship), and once I realized that, I just went for broke and didn't really care if I won or lost. I had no fear of losing and I was pretty much using this match as practice, relaxed with no anxiety at all.

Next thing I know, on a changeover, I'm at my bags and I turn around to reach for my towel, and there's my cousin, creeping up behind me and mumbling that he has to leave, and if I had everything I needed. As in, HE OPENED THE GATE, JOGGED ONTO THE COURT, AND IS WHISPERING TO ME ON THE CHANGEOVER. Least suspicious thing in the world, right? Well I'm shocked, my face stiffens, and my heart skips a beat, and the most I can say in a jumbled mess of a few dozen syllables is "Uhh, yeah sure, but you gotta go."

The kid I'm playing freaks out like, "What the hell are you doing!?" The other players are staring at me from a mile away. The umpire, thankfully understanding, motions my cousin off the court, and I'm still stuck there with an "Oh crap, did that just happen?" look on my face, desperately trying to explain myself without making my cousin seem like a buffoon (he was still within hearing distance). Now, my cousin's a nice guy, and everyone was understanding in the end, but I still haven't been able to get that image out of my head of him casually and obliviously creeping onto the court. My heart still has that feeling of skipping a beat, and I'm still tense and, well, just plain embarrassed. Any help putting this behind me?

Slazenger07
06-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Relax, forget about it, your cousin didnt know he couldnt come on to the court and talk to you...it happens

Geezer Guy
06-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Everyone thinks their own family is full of dorks and is embarrased as hell over what they do. Nobody else cares because they're too busy being worried about what THEIR family members do to embarras them.

In other words, don't worry about it. Nobody cares.

Juges8932
06-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah, that's one of those situations where you feel embarrassed about it, but nobody else gives a **** lol. I can understand the embarrassment, but seriously, just let it go. Not that serious IMO.

maverick66
06-20-2010, 06:27 PM
What did he say?

spacediver
06-20-2010, 06:27 PM
that's pretty funny :)

but at some point you have to learn not to take things too seriously. After all, you're a couple of primates hitting round things with bats in front of other primates, on a rock hurtling through space. It's not a deathmatch or anything in front of the queen.

btw i like that you got to experience that release from stress during the match - I find that is where I play my best and most courageous tennis.

Mansewerz
06-20-2010, 06:53 PM
What? That's it? Who cares! It's not like you got into a conflict or a fight or anything!