PDA

View Full Version : In your 'hood, is tennis becoming more/less popular?

soyizgood
06-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't know if I can speak for West LA as a whole, but I sense it has been gaining more interest from beginners and former recreational players. If only some cities had the money and will to keep their courts in shape. As for USTA events, it would be nice to have more players compete at the 3.5 and 4.0 levels.

Keifers
06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
During and after the Grand Slams, more popular. :)

(Bay Area.)

ODYSSEY Mk.4
06-21-2010, 11:55 PM
During and after the Grand Slams, more popular. :)

(Bay Area.)

ditto and after IW it gets pretty crazy round these parts

West Coast Ace
06-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know if I can speak for West LA as a whole, but I sense it has been gaining more interest from beginners and former recreational players. If only some cities had the money and will to keep their courts in shape. As for USTA events, it would be nice to have more players compete at the 3.5 and 4.0 levels.Which courts in WLA are you seeing the upsurge in? And tournaments don't have enough 4.0s? Men's? In past yrs this was the most popular level.

Slight uptick in the South Bay (El Segundo, Redondo, PV).

LuckyR
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
More all of the time. But not a steep uptick in the curve, slow and steady.

SuperFly
06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
In our hood we're too busy having rap battles.

equinox
06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
There's spike of casual players hiring courts for about 3 weeks just after the oz open. rest of the year pretty much dead.

Much less popular than 15 years ago, i remember there were strict rules on type of play / length of time because court availability issues, jrs including myself were everywhere. Now the courts are empty everywhere.

But the soccer fields are full of kids (3 year olds!) practicing with mini nets.

Even once extremely popular district night league has teams and players dropping out.

Tennis is dead in oz.

Feņa14
06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Tennis is non existent where I live, unfortunately :(

soyizgood
06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Which courts in WLA are you seeing the upsurge in? And tournaments don't have enough 4.0s? Men's? In past yrs this was the most popular level.

Slight uptick in the South Bay (El Segundo, Redondo, PV).

I hover around Culver City, Palms, and Mar Vista. I haven't been to the park at Mar Vista in a while since they had did construction that tore down two of their courts (I would hope those courts have been put back by now). I used to play with a group of junkballers 1-2 nights a week there. Once in a while I'll hit with some decent folks at Culver City High after work or at the cracked up court at Lindberg Park. Rancho Park has some nice courts and are usually available, but I don't feel like paying $8/hr. The La Cienega Tennis Center is nice and I've played in their spring tourney a few times since it's near my home. I used to play in a 4.0 league for the team based at Alta Vista in Redondo Beach.

How's the flex league in your area? I might try to take part in it later this year.

soyizgood
06-22-2010, 09:13 PM

It should get better assuming any of Murray, Watson, Baltacha, or Robson get it together.

The_Question
06-22-2010, 09:35 PM
It depends on the area & weather...in general, less popular. I usually have no problem finding an open court...except courts w/lights...

Toxicmilk
06-22-2010, 09:39 PM
been more or less the same the last 10 years or so..maybe that surge of asian juniors has gone down a tiny bit..but otherwise, it's been the same.
(Bay Area CA)

RoddickAce
06-22-2010, 09:49 PM

At least public courts will be less crowded :D.

Feņa14
06-22-2010, 10:06 PM
It should get better assuming any of Murray, Watson, Baltacha, or Robson get it together.

I'd like to think so, but i'm not so sure. I think it's pretty similar in America where there are countless other sports that kids prefer, football, cricket and rugby being the big ones.

The Country will probably all still be in mourning for England being knocked out of the World Cup to take much notice in Murray tearing it up at Wimbledon ;)

At least public courts will be less crowded :D.

You'd think so! There are public courts throughout the Country, but the closest courts to me are about a half an hour drive away at an abandoned little club that are just about passable. That's a pretty big distance when you think you can go from one end of the Country to the other in around 7 hours.

It's not great for the people in my particular area, although I think that's just unlucky and a one off, it's not like that in other parts.

GetBetterer
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
People here only know Nadal and Federer...after that they know nothing about Tennis. :/

Our Tennis team is...decent... (that means horrible).

Justdoit10
06-22-2010, 10:39 PM
People only really pick up the racquets after NBC broadcasts a grand slam match. It is funny sometimes they get it completely wrong .

*Day of the wimbledon final*

Random guy on the court: "Yo, did you see the U.S open final today! Damn the final set was 30 games long!

Other guy: "Yeah man, I cant believe Federer won!"

Toxicmilk
06-22-2010, 11:17 PM
People only really pick up the racquets after NBC broadcasts a grand slam match. It is funny sometimes they get it completely wrong .

*Day of the wimbledon final*

Random guy on the court: "Yo, did you see the U.S open final today! Damn the final set was 30 games long!

Other guy: "Yeah man, I cant believe Federer won!"

lololol. that's pretty good aha.
I remember my mother would get ferrer, ferrero, and federer...all mixed up.

West Coast Ace
06-23-2010, 04:19 AM
How's the flex league in your area? I might try to take part in it later this year.I played it last yr and was disappointed. A 3.5, a guy who would only play at his country club, and a guy who could write a book on gamesmanship.