PDA

View Full Version : O3 Tour Differences?

6-0 6-0
05-19-2005, 05:02 AM
I have just gotten two of the O3 Tours that are different in their markings. I have one that has a swingweight of 290 on it and it says at the top of the racket "Midplus+" and then I got another one that says the swingweight is 295 with the word "Midsize" at the top of the frame. It would be interesting to see what your racket says in those areas to compare for those of you who have this frame. They seem identical for the most part, but I haven't weighed them or looked for any other differences. I thought I would start on here and see if they are just a different batch. Thanks for any input in advance.

Slaz
05-19-2005, 05:16 AM
I have one with :

swingweight 290 and Midsize+ at the racket top

Gaines Hillix
05-19-2005, 05:52 AM
I have just gotten two of the O3 Tours that are different in their markings. I have one that has a swingweight of 290 on it and it says at the top of the racket "Midplus+" and then I got another one that says the swingweight is 295 with the word "Midsize" at the top of the frame. It would be interesting to see what your racket says in those areas to compare for those of you who have this frame. They seem identical for the most part, but I haven't weighed them or looked for any other differences. I thought I would start on here and see if they are just a different batch. Thanks for any input in advance.

That's interesting...a midsize+ would normally be 98 or 100 sq. ins. A midsize would be 85-95.

mido
05-19-2005, 06:30 AM
O3 Tour "Midplus", 295 swing weight, is the lastest version (shipped from Prince few days ago).
On top of the frame says "MIDPLUS", not Midplus+.
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52801945&cdi=0

barry
05-19-2005, 08:17 AM
The one I have is a 290. Also it is made in China, guess most of the tennis stuff comes from there. I have a 4 5/8 grip unstrung which weighs 11.0 ounces. I called Prince and they said it is the latest and greatest, maybe the old ones were stamped wrong.

I sent a note to TW and they do not ship the O3 with the boomerang, so I bought it elsewhere and it has the Tour version of the boomerang.

spanish fly
05-19-2005, 09:41 AM
so which one is the latest version now????? how do i see this?

barry
05-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Heads up on stringing:

When you are stinging this beast one piece, make sure you notice the short side label. Wound up doing it two piece. After this, I will always remember what short side is. In addition, the PDF file on the Prince web site is incorrect. It shows a cross above the Main tie offs, which is not the case on my frame.

http://www.princetennis.com/O3/o3_tour_stringinstructions.pdf

The pamphlet, which came with mine, shows it the correct way. Mains you skip 8T and 8H and the crosses start below the Main Tie offs.

It weighs 11.6 ounces after stringing, feels light, will be adding lead tape at 3, 9, and 12.

mido
05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
O3 Tour "Midplus", 295 swing weight, is the lastest version (shipped from Prince few days ago).
On top of the frame says "MIDPLUS", not Midplus+.
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52801945&cdi=0
As I said I got mine O3 Tour in Florida yesterday. It came by FedEx directly from Prince to the dealer one hour earlier. Grip 5.
And O3 Tour comes with Prince boomerang tool and key holder, no cover.
O3 Red which arrived in the same FedEx comes without boomerang tool.

barry
05-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Mido

Did you receive and install the vibration dampner with your Tour O3? Looked kind of strange and I could not figure out how to install it.
Do you know if you install it at string time or afterward?

edge
05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Mido

Did you receive and install the vibration dampner with your Tour O3? Looked kind of strange and I could not figure out how to install it.

The vibration dampener fits between the two mains and slides down into the grommet.

BreakPoint
05-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I sent a note to TW and they do not ship the O3 with the boomerang, so I bought it elsewhere and it has the Tour version of the boomerang.

What's a "boomerang"?

Gaines Hillix
05-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Mido

Barry, the damper fits between the center mains with the tip down and the P up. It slides down into the U shaped plastic throat piece that serves as the grommet strip at the throat.

Gaines Hillix
05-19-2005, 05:58 PM
What's a "boomerang"?

It's a rubber, boomerang shaped tool about 1.5" long that is used in the O holes of the Prince O3 frames to separate the strings. The holes are much bigger than normal string holes and if you don't have something to separate them when tension is pulled the turntable will rotate toward the string that is already in the hole. You can use the turntable brake to stop this if your machine has one. I think you can find more info and pictures of this on the Prince website.

mido
05-19-2005, 07:20 PM
barry,
Yes I installed the little dampener and lost it after 30 min. It flew out of the court. We don't need it anyway.
As I got O3 Tour with Swing weight 295 label, so I checked some in my local club in FL tonight.
They got six O3 Tour, all labeled Swing weight 290, 3 of them are labeled at the top of the frame as Midplus and the other 3 are labeled as Midsize+ (price $179).
So Prince has three different paint versions in the first two weeks after the racquet was officially released to public! (Midplus 290, Midplus 295 and Midsize+ 290).

BreakPoint
05-19-2005, 07:23 PM
It's a rubber, boomerang shaped tool about 1.5" long that is used in the O holes of the Prince O3 frames to separate the strings. The holes are much bigger than normal string holes and if you don't have something to separate them when tension is pulled the turntable will rotate toward the string that is already in the hole. You can use the turntable brake to stop this if your machine has one. I think you can find more info and pictures of this on the Prince website.

Thanks Gaines! Since I don't have an O3 racquet, I guess I don't have to worry about this. :D

barry
05-20-2005, 01:39 AM
mido

I sent a note to Prince about the stringing pattern being wrong on the web site. They responded in 2 hours. You might give them a call or send an Email to find out which one is correct or why the differences.

How do you like the Racket? I have not had a change to hit with it yet.

Richie Rich
05-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Stringing the mains is ok without the boomerang tool but essential for stringing crosses.

Pay heed to what barry says about the "short side" markings on the frame. Was going to do 1 peice and started the crosses at the "short side" and wasn't going to work. Luckily had only strung 2 crosses so was easy to turn into 2 peice string job.

Marking is small so you may miss it if you are in a rush to string the racquet.

Also, b/c of the boomerang tool your time for stringing the racquet increases by about 10 minutes a frame!

Ash Doyle
05-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Nevermind. I erased this after realizing my stupidity.