PDA

View Full Version : POG OS - flat shots?

kv581
05-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Much has been said about POG OS's spin capabilities. Is this mainly topspin, slice, or both? At the same time, is it difficult to hit flatter shots with this racquet? Is there too much trampoline effect for effective flat shots?

TIA.

Gaines Hillix
05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I string these for a guy who is a big slice and dice, control type of player. He has excellent control using these racquets. He can also hit big topspin and hit with power with it when the situation is right for it.

Colpo
05-19-2005, 12:12 PM
The POG OS can be a terrific frame all-around depending on one's experience using it. It's perfect for top, gives you plenty of error margin for flat, and pushes hefty mass through the ball for slice. The gist of your post is accurate: balls hit flat and with pace will INITIALLY fly off this frame because of its trampoline effect. But, with time and compared to much else that's out there nowadays, the POG OS can be harnessed for flat ballstriking with control, particularly for blocking back shots from the baseline, half-volley full-swing style. I just wouldn't recommend alternating it with a more controlled oriented frame, like a Fischer 90 or Prestige mid, because those latter frames will always have relatively better ball control than an OS, and will only serve to again emphasize the lesser relative ball control of the POG OS. If you like the OS, stick with it. That way, it will become your "control" frame of reference.

AndrewD
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Of course you can hit flat shots with the POG but if you predominantly hit flat then you'd be better off with another frame. The POG does have excellent control but it does also have a larger headsize which will be an issue, no matter how much control a frame affords, for flat hitters.
However, if you're supplementing that flattish shot with some underspin then the POG OS is far more reliable. There is a trampoline effect but very little to speak of unless you're stringing in the low range. Even then, at around 55lbs, it is still highly controllable.
If you're curious, grab an old tape of Pam Shriver playing with a Prince OS and see how you can hit flat (with some underspin) and maintain fantastic control.

kv581
05-19-2005, 09:27 PM
AndrewD,

You've played with both Tour 10 Gen II and POG OS. What do you think of the grip sizes with each? My POG OS demo came with synthetic grip, so I don't know how it might feel differently (larger/smaller) with the stock leather. Thanks.

AJK1
05-19-2005, 09:40 PM
I own 2 POG's and i must admit, they are both friend and enemy. When you hit it sweet, there is no better racquet, but when it all goes wrong, whoaa. It seems there is not much room for error with them, especially on slice backhand and volleying for me. You really have to nail it, otherwise the ball sails long everytime. I string it at 62lbs with multifilament string, which is the medium tension for this racquet. It is definitely a players racquet, and quite heavy compared to what most people around me are using. Serving, topspin backhand and forehand lobs are best for me, plenty of controllable power and spin on tap, but the topspin forehand gets a bit loose, probably because of the larger head size. It's a necessary evil this racquet, i never want to sell them because i know that when i finally master them, there will be no other better racquet for my style of play.