PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a tennis job with little experience. Advice?

metsjets
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm about to go on a job hunt in my local area for a tennis job. I'd primarily like to string and teach younger kids. I'm a college student and my only tennis experience includes stringing for the school team and a few private lessons. I was thinking about looking for a country club because I have also been teaching swimming for 5 years and that may help.

What do you guys think? How can I make myself more presentable to compensate for my lack of experience? If I can't land a good job, I'll probably find a local clinic which pays a little less... but at least it's income and experience.

Jura-SB
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Let me answer your question.
I'm from Europe...Croatia.
Here you have to have some school to work that job.
Because working as a coach or in any way in sports need education on a little bit higher level than just to have some experience as player or smth. like that.
Wide area of kinesiology includes everything about sports (physical,psyhical, antrophological and so on...).That is what I study (I'm a senior student of Faculty of Kinesiology) and my major is Tennis.
So it's a very touchy area because you aren't only teaching someone (especially if it's a child in question) hitting or moving techniques...you're transforming that sportsman in so many ways....very important ways.If you miss something in that process you will end up with a child/grown person that will never be able to go back again and repair damages that are created.
That's only my opinion and the way things are done here...
JURA

cmb
06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
unfortentetly its america and anyone mouth and can hold a tennis racket can teach people. I prefer the Croation system.

albino smurf
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd say intern/apprentice somewhere, gain experience and then you won't need to fake it. People that fake it can only get so far, and with something like tennis it will show very quickly and leave you with no job or clients.

atatu
06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I'd say intern/apprentice somewhere, gain experience and then you won't need to fake it. People that fake it can only get so far, and with something like tennis it will show very quickly and leave you with no job or clients.

Exactly, find a good teaching pro in the area. Ask him if you can watch and help him teach. In exchange you can help him out for free....do whatever it takes, pick up balls, sweep the courts, etc. You can learn a lot from a good pro. In the meantime, read and study on-line, you can gain a lot of knowledge. There is free information on the USPTA website as well. Make yourself a sponge and absorb the knowledge that is out there.