PDA

View Full Version : Breaking your racquet while hitting

gifted_shotmaker
05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I know there are some, like Marat Safin, who break racquets by throwing them to the ground. But Marat Safin recently broke his racquet while hitting a serve. I can also say I broke my racquet while swinging. In the middle of a rally, I hit my forehand and my TT Bandit just cracked(good thing I have a backup TT Bandit). Of course I acted sad and it is a waste of a racket but I was thinking, cool. Has anyone here broke their racquet while hitting? Describe your experience if yes.

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Not one player here has broke their racquet while hitting a stroke?

Jonnyf
05-20-2005, 01:39 PM
guess not mate soz

stc9357
05-20-2005, 01:40 PM
my cousin broke her frame but that came from hitting the frame to much when hitting.

Jonnyf
05-20-2005, 01:41 PM
oooooooh unlucky

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
oooooooh unlucky

Not really, believe or not I was amazed at myself. I never knew I was so strong :confused: LOL... EDIT: Actually, I did know I was, it was just a matter of time before something like that would occur LOL

drakulie
05-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Racquets crack all the time. I have cracked several during serves or groundstrokes. If you play long enough with one racquet it will wear down and eventually break.

Lots of guys on this forum probably never break a racquet because they are constantly switching from one brand to the "latest and best" technology.

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Racquets crack all the time. I have cracked several during serves or groundstrokes. If you play long enough with one racquet it will wear down and eventually break.

Lots of guys on this forum probably never break a racquet because they are constantly switching from one brand to the "latest and best" technology.

yeah, guess that's it. I completely agree with the second part. Give me a break! Most who do that think the pros are also doing that :confused: Hahahaha....

Jonnyf
05-20-2005, 01:54 PM
true true...

aj_m2009
05-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I broke a wood racquet while hitting a forehand once ll. I was just hitting around one day and I hit my forehand and the top of the head just broke. The only thing that was keeping the racquet together was the string ll.

Jonnyf
05-20-2005, 02:01 PM
aj u do miss the o all the time

Jon Hampton
05-20-2005, 02:03 PM
One of my hitting partners broke his racket on a forehand. It was a Prostaff 6.something and it cracked above the handle, but below the head. It was quite interesting to see.

aj_m2009
05-20-2005, 02:05 PM
aj u do miss the o all the time

Well now I purposely miss it.

Jonnyf
05-20-2005, 02:09 PM
kl kl i mean kool kool kl kl

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Jon Hampton and drakulie,

Did it make a loud, crack noise when it happened?

deflori
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Few years ago with a ProKennex Destiny.......After that,the racket searched his Way into the Forest;)

Jonnyf
05-20-2005, 02:41 PM
it just searched it's way there also some guy probably picked it up

Kaptain Karl
05-20-2005, 03:37 PM
My brother broke Mom's Davis Imperial on a serve when he was about 16. The head snapped off right at the throat ... then fell at his feet. (His serve was IN, but his opponent lost concentration and forgot to play the ball. ACE!)

I've (legitimately) broken about 20 racquets in my life. Most of them just *cracked* hitting serves or forehands. On about six of them -- Heads, MatchMates and Estusas -- one of the throats *snapped*. Those six all broke on FHs.

The event I've never witnessed is a player breaking a racket AND a string, simultaneously ... on a regular shot; not smashing the net post. Anyone...?

- KK

drakulie
05-20-2005, 03:41 PM

Sometimes they make a really loud pop. There has been a few where it felt like the string popped, then I noticed it was the frame.

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Sometimes they make a really loud pop. There has been a few where it felt like the string popped, then I noticed it was the frame.
That is exactly what happened with mine. I thought the string popped, then I took a closer look and realized it was the frame. At least you and me are steady users of a frame, not like some other people....

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I OFTEN BRAKE A RACKET WHILST HITTING !

hahah normally when im ihtting it on the floor after missing yet another easy forehand !
:)

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 04:22 PM
^ Is that you Marat? This thread is only for those who have done it whilst hitting! :mad: Just kidding :) I used to throw the racquet to the ground also , then I thought to myself, I'm poor, so why do it? Then I stopped. The end and I lived happily ever after....not really :mad:

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 04:41 PM
you play a tt banddit ?? thats pretty old now ? ever thought of updating ??

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 04:57 PM
you play a tt banddit ?? thats pretty old now ? ever thought of updating ??

yeah, here's my thinking plan. I am probably going to switch to TT Bandit MP since I have been playing with the OS. OR, see what the Prestige Classic or I.Prestige has to offer me.

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 05:10 PM
what size head does the bandit have? and whats the beam ?

gifted_shotmaker
05-20-2005, 05:26 PM
what size head does the bandit have? and whats the beam ?

On my current OS, 110 sq.in, Beam Width: 25-22 mm Constant Taper Beam
On the MP, 95 sq. in, 19 mm Straight Beam

pro_staff
05-20-2005, 05:42 PM
my friend broke his raquet during ball machine. it cracked at the throat area. pretty cool though

kying1031
05-20-2005, 05:43 PM
A friend's HPS 6.1 broke at the throat on a forehand...

Jon Hampton
05-20-2005, 06:37 PM

It made a loud, snapping noise.

tennisnoob
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Broke a Rossignol F190 right after hitting a forehand pass and that's about 8 years ago, it caved in near the 10'o clock position but then the racquet has been thrashed against the wall, fence, ground and etc....ala Safin style

bigkat81
05-20-2005, 11:19 PM
I've broken at least 7 or eight racquests. All from
hitting overheads. 4 yonex's, 2 prostaff 6.0's and
a prostaff wood racquet. They all broke just above
the throat. probably b/c I get overzealous on overheads
sometimes and try to bounce them over the fence
and out of play.

E

gokou703
05-21-2005, 01:56 AM
i broke one ti radical hitting an overhead during warm ups. i heard a huge crack. i thought i broke my strings. when i saw i didn't i just kept hitting until i realized i cracked it practically in half right above the handle. i broke another one once.....i heard a crack......but the crack sound was the racket hitting me square between my eyes.....=)

tschevap
05-21-2005, 02:04 AM
One of my opponents once broke a Warrior while returning my serve. He hit the ball with the frame and it broke at the throat.
My coach had his Warrior broken during a training session hitting volleys...

They both never abused their racket...

bc-05
05-21-2005, 03:08 AM
well i broke one 2 weeks ago.. i was serving at night time.. i was doing all full pelt serve suddenly i heard something popped... it was so dark so i didnt notice the top part of the racquet snapped.. so i kept serving and felt there was heaps of vibration.. so i stopped when i got home i saw the top part of the frame snapped.. i dunno how though.. it was an ncode 6.1.. my good one too all modified and that... *shrugs*

Kaptain Karl
05-21-2005, 05:22 AM
...but the crack sound was the racket hitting me square between my eyes....Ouch!!!

- KK

AndrewD
05-21-2005, 05:40 AM
My first ever racquet, an aluminium 'cheapie' from Waltons, snapped after about a month of hitting. Hit the ball and the head just fell off. I was absolutely gutted. Since then Ive had the head break on 3 of the old 80's Dunlop 200G's. Never through mistreatment just through some flaw in the last version of the 200G.

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-21-2005, 08:27 AM
The only time I have "broken" a racquet is by ripping the buttcap off, breaking the foam/plastic it was stapled to ontop of the bare handle. This was after 6ish years.

Two of my friends have broken their racquets through a stroke, but there was no clean beak.

Have any of you considered that your racquet may have been damaged or weakened in some way when abusing it and not noticing any effects, which may later cause it to break?

AndrewD
05-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Tennis Ball Hitter,
Im sure the majority of breaks do occur because of past trauma to the racquet whether intentional or just part of playing the game (hitting the court surface on low volleys etc). However, there are still quite a few that come about due to flaws in the racquet.

I was told by Dunlop that something had gone wrong during their last run of the 200G and a large portion of the frames had been weakened considerably (not really weakened but had become brittle in a recurring position). That could have had something to do with them retiring the model at that stage. They also said that when you get cracking or breaks in the same area of a racquet it is an indication that the racquet isnt structurally sound. TT Warriors seem to crack in the throat, nCode Tour 90's seem to crack higher up on the head etc. For some reason there's a weakness at that point and it cant handle the stress of constant use.

gifted_shotmaker
05-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Have any of you considered that your racquet may have been damaged or weakened in some way when abusing it and not noticing any effects, which may later cause it to break?

Mine was definitely weakened the same day that this happened LOL, I wasn't expecting my racquet to break though.

Jonnyf
05-21-2005, 09:14 AM
it is often caused by previous abuse

newnuse
05-22-2005, 11:47 AM
I had just strung my well used Fox Ceramic Pro 210 at 58lbs, not the normal 54lbs. I took it out and was hitting clean winners with that extra control I had. I was totally in the zone with this tight string setup.

I hear this loud pop and looked at my racket. My 10 sided racket suddenly had 2 extra sides. :( I broke all the way through.

I went back to Big 5 Sports but the racket had been discontinued. I bought a different racket but it was never as good. :( :(

Steve Huff
05-23-2005, 04:05 AM
Have broken several. Sometimes on mis hits, sometimes on clean shots. Usually at 3 and 9, but occasionally higher in the face of the racket. I've never been one to abuse rackets. I can honestly say that "tennis is just a game" and the racket is rarely at fault when you mess up. Plus, I just don't like to look like an idiot by smashing a perfectly good racket.

couch
05-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Giftedshotmaker,

I used to play with the TT Bandit OS and broke about 7 of them. It probably had something to do with me stringing them at high tensions with pro blend. There's nothing to those racquets (weight wise). I broke several while hitting overheads and a few returning hard serves. The returns I actually hit a couple off the frame but a couple I hit near the top of the stringbed and they just cracked. I used that racquet for about a year and have since switched to a Volkl Tour 8 (suits my game a "lot" better). It has a little more weight and isn't as "hollow" as the bandit. I haven't broken any of these.

SB
05-27-2005, 07:36 AM
I broke a Dunlop Black Max while serving, about 20 years ago. It just folded over at 10 and 2.

dom
11-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I just had a cracked handle on my Dunlop 300g OS. Iíve only had it two weeks. It cracked right through on the top part of the handle nearest to the throat of the racquet Ė itís useless. I hope that Dunlop replaces it. Anyone else had a similar experience?

thetenniskid07
11-06-2005, 07:20 PM
My friend broke his 300g while hitting an overhead! It was sooo loud. I cracked my diablo so... if I miss hit, I might be the next to break a racquet.

legolas
11-06-2005, 07:59 PM
well i broke my tour 90 while hitting when the ball was low to the ground my stroke hit the surface too, lol, crack

Vince
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
i cracked my TT Bandit while returning a serve

jck01
11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
My friend let his wife string racquets for him and while he was taking a shower, he heard his beloved . . . racquet, Head Ti.Laser, crack! Well, let's just say that it was the last time he let his wife touch his racquet.

golden chicken
11-07-2005, 04:51 PM
i had an old pro kennex crack in the throat on a volley, but it was an old frame that had seen a lot of play...

timmyboy
11-07-2005, 06:10 PM
how long would you be able to hit with a racquet before it cracks?
2 years? 10?

Rhinomilk
11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
My very first racket broke after six months. It was one of those cheap prince oversized graphites...super lightweight and whatnot. I heard a loud "crack" as I hit a forehand and thought I had broken a string for the first time in my life, but I look down at the frame and see it collapsed in on itself at the 9 o'clock :(

charles_boey
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
seen it happened twice so far..
both of them were my hitting partners.
the first happened because the frame was an 80s widebody and was strung at about 65lbs.
the 2nd time it happened was an oversize hammer that was just worn down and collapsed eventually.

omigod
11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
my mate let go of his racket towards the end of his service motion (racket basically spearheaded to the ground). Such was his force that the racket head cracked even on synthetic grass surface (soft). :D

he is notorious for being cheap on the overgrips. i.e. almost never change a grip.