PDA

View Full Version : obvious foot faults

film1
06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I was watching a 4.0 to 4.5 player serve the other day.
He has pretty good strokes and a nice hard consistent serve but he puts his foot down about six inches inside the court (not on the line, clearly inside it) before he made contact with ball on most every serve.

My question is, if you were playing against him, would you say anything about his foot faults?
I feel sure I would let it go as others must do for him to do it so consistently but it's severe for playing in tournaments.

SystemicAnomaly
06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
If that foot-faulter intends to play leagues or tournaments, you would probably be doing him a favor by informing or reminding him of his transgression. A 4.5 player really shouldn't be foot faulting most of his serves. Even a 4.0 player should really learn to serve with a minimum of foot faults. In social games, we tend to let these guys slide as long as the fault is not giving them a huge advantage on the serve.

mikeler
06-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Try this. The first point that he hits the ball 6 inches inside the baseline call it out. Tell him that he steps 6 inches in every time he serves so you don't consider that area part of the court.

Seriously, just mention it in the warm up. Say something like "watch that left foot". You may need to issue another reminder during the match. Foot faulters won't change unless you call them out on it.

Slice Approach
06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I copied and pasted a portion of "the code" relating to foot faults that was recently sent to each of us in preparation for the NTRP state tournament:

FOOT FAULT. Recent USTA rule interpretations allow receiver(s) to call FLAGRANT foot
fault violations. If your opponent FLAGRANTLY foot faults, you should: First, POLITELY
advise him of this and ask that the problem be corrected; second, request that someone serve
as foot fault judge; third, if no one is available to serve as foot fault judge, call the faults
yourself. (#25, 26)