PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons not to buy the iPhone 4

arwor
06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
According to Yahoo finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109896/5-big-blemishes-for-the-apple-iphone-4) there is a few shortcomings with new iPhone 4. I think that iPhone 4 is the best one in his category. Go Apple!!!

quest01
06-24-2010, 03:37 PM
There are more reasons to buy the iphone 4 than not to such as the retina display which is the highest resolution of any phone on the market, Facetime which allows video calls, hd video recording and editing, 2 cameras front and back with LED flash, iOS4 which allows multitasking, folders, and a unified email inbox.

The iPhone 4 is the best phone in the universe, it's a magical device that bridges the gap between greatness and awesomeness, it's a remarkable device of epic proportions.

Mansewerz
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
#6: I'm 17, I don't need a smart phone, and it costs too damn much!!

flyinghippos101
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
There are more reasons to buy the iphone 4 than not to such as the retina display which is the highest resolution of any phone on the market, Facetime which allows video calls, hd video recording and editing, 2 cameras front and back with LED flash, iOS4 which allows multitasking, folders, and a unified email inbox.

The iPhone 4 is the best phone in the universe, it's a magical device that bridges the gap between greatness and awesomeness, it's a remarkable device of epic proportions.

Steve Jobs, is that you?

Dominik
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
#6: I'm 17, I don't need a smart phone, and it costs too damn much!!

But it's so beautiful.. :(
I have a huge soft spot for everything apple <3

rommil
06-24-2010, 04:29 PM
If I can think of another reason why you guys shouldn't get one, I will be sure to type it in here using my new iPhone 4 tomorrow.

drakulie
06-24-2010, 04:34 PM
the iphone sucks, as do their customer service (AT&T), which I'm taking to small claims court, for failure to adhere to their service agreement with me.

Justdoit10
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
im totally gonna get it in november.

BullDogTennis
06-24-2010, 05:17 PM
i'm gonna wait a little while, so they can fix the little bugs, that i new would be on it when it first came out!

BullDogTennis
06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
0h wow...thats absolutely ********...

it basically said, in a nutshell

DO NOT BUY THE IPHONE, because you already have ATT, and its totally not worth buying, because if you buy it, although you're already att, your not gonna support verizon since they don't have it...

GetBetterer
06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Smart phones now-a-days...are getting stupid.

The Droid advertised Skype on their commercial...What the hell? Why do you want a phone, in a phone?! What purpose does this have?!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't need a phone that has all these gadgets. After all, most of them we can do on our computer, which many people are on every day.

Dominik
06-24-2010, 07:43 PM
the iphone sucks, as do their customer service (AT&T), which I'm taking to small claims court, for failure to adhere to their service agreement with me.

Wow, what happened here? Can you give us any more details?

SFrazeur
06-24-2010, 08:12 PM

Ha ha. Great sarcasm. :D

-SF

Centered
06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Get something cheaper. (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G7a8FENV2M0/R8IwG9UQWoI/AAAAAAAAAT8/vADOCeS-z5o/s400/Can-string_phone.gif)

drakulie
06-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Wow, what happened here? Can you give us any more details?

for well over a year I have had problems getting service, the phone continuously gets stuck, won't reboot, messages (voice mail) and texts often times arrive 2-3 days after they were sent, etc, etc, etc. They refuse to give me a new phone, and meanwhile, I pay for a service every month, which isn't functioning properly. since threaettning to sue them, they have offered me a new phone, BUT, want me to agree to another two year service agreemement. Ha.

To anyone that is getting a iphone, or any other AT&T service, BUYER BEWARE. They are absolute snakes, and their service really sucks.

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-25-2010, 04:24 AM
for well over a year I have had problems getting service, the phone continuously gets stuck, won't reboot, messages (voice mail) and texts often times arrive 2-3 days after they were sent, etc, etc, etc. They refuse to give me a new phone, and meanwhile, I pay for a service every month, which isn't functioning properly. since threaettning to sue them, they have offered me a new phone, BUT, want me to agree to another two year service agreemement. Ha.

To anyone that is getting a iphone, or any other AT&T service, BUYER BEWARE. They are absolute snakes, and their service really sucks.

I had an iPhone. The phone is amazing, the service...awful

OrangeOne
06-25-2010, 04:36 AM
I have to say, the iPhone itself is the best electronic device I've ever owned, in around 20 years of owning electronic devices.

That said, I'm in Australia, and have freedom of choice in regards to any and every network we have, all of which seem to work at least a lot better than AT&T appears to in the US.

These comments are currently in regards to a 32Gb 3gs now running iOS4, i'll likely change to a 4g later this year.

TheJRK
06-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Sorry to hear about the AT&T drama Drak.

I hear a lot of complaints about AT&T and the iPhone. I have an iPhone and I've only had problems with it in one place... SF. I'm going to the USO in September so I guess I'll see if I have problems there too, otherwise it's worked like a charm.

A lot of people also say "I'm not getting the iPhone until it comes to Verizon." As if the iPhone will function 100x better on the Verizon network. :confused: The problem is every swinging-d**k has an iPhone and the AT&T network gets bogged down, especially in high population centers. If half of AT&T's customers went to Verizon and took their iPhones with them... guess what will happen to Verizon? The same damn thing that's happening now with AT&T.

I need to find the link to an article I read that basically said AT&T's 3G network is faster than Verizon's and (pre first-iPhone) was the best prepared to handle the iPhone. But they (AT&T) underestimated how many users they would have and therefore the network became quickly overloaded. Now AT&T is trying to play catch-up and is building more towers.

Me personally, I hope the iPhone does go to Verizon and I hope a majority of people switch to Verizon and take their iPhone with them. In a few months time we'll see posts here about how Verizon service is terrible.

I think T-Mobile is on the same band as AT&T... I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone went to T-Mobile first since Apple wouldn't have to change the recievers in their current model iPhone.

drakulie
06-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Guys, agree with much of what you are saying. I love the apps on the iphone, as they are very practical for me (especially for work).

That said, their service has been awful, and they are in breech of their service agreement, which is why I'm taking them to court.

As for service in my area, my next door neighbor has one, and his phone works beautifully.

Everything said and done, I would not recommend this phone, or any other phone, which AT&T services.

lovecr717
06-25-2010, 05:23 AM
iphone 4 looks totally cool

mikeler
06-25-2010, 05:25 AM
I love my iPhone but Drak is right. AT&T customer service is poor. I get a lot of dropped calls and my iPhone sometimes will lose 3G service and go back to the slower Edge network.

TripleB
06-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Reason #1 was for me.

TripleB

Underhand
06-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Mactards would buy even a turd with the Apple logo on it.

Power Player
06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
I would get an Iphone in 6 seconds if I could use Sprint or any other server besides AT&T. When a company has a phone this popular, they are going to take advantage of it and screw you over, and this is exactly what they do to their customers. Their cell plans are horrible.

onehandbh
06-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Guys, agree with much of what you are saying. I love the apps on the iphone, as they are very practical for me (especially for work).

That said, their service has been awful, and they are in breech of their service agreement, which is why I'm taking them to court.

As for service in my area, my next door neighbor has one, and his phone works beautifully.

Everything said and done, I would not recommend this phone, or any other phone, which AT&T services.

That's terrible. Your phone is obviously a lemon. I can't believe they won't
replace it.

PimpMyGame
06-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Luckily in the UK we get the iPhone on several networks so no issues with tie-ins and monopolies. I've been perfectly happy with my iPhone 3GS, and the OS 4 which I downloaded yesterday appears slick but doesn't give you much more than the previous software.

Therefore I don't see huge reasons to want to change, especially given the problems reported with the internal antenna. I'll let the innovators take up the existing stock and sort a new one out in about 8 months when my current iPhone will probably start to look and feel a little jaded. And by that time Apple should have sorted out all the inevitable bugs and glitches that will crawl out of the woodwork in no time.

SlapShot
06-25-2010, 07:47 AM
I love my iPhone 3G. But I agree - AT&T could use some help on their network.

What's astounding to me is that after having had the iPhone on their network for 3+ years, and having had many people move over to get the iPhone (me included - went from Verizon to AT&T), they still haven't upgraded their infrastructure. Which is sad, because the iPhone could likely do SO much more if it were on a better network.

OKUSA
06-25-2010, 09:23 AM
i like small phones, and ones that don't cost a fortune if i end up dropping them unexpectedly. although i've had the same phone for almost 4 years now

Dominik
06-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Wow that's rough - they're not really doing anything for you, just trying to hook you into another contract...

That's why I just use whichever service I want after unlocking my iPhone :) You have more power as the consumer that way.

Cindysphinx
06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Good luck, Drak. I think small claims court totally rocks.

Make 'em pay!!

Cindysphinx
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
i like small phones, and ones that don't cost a fortune if i end up dropping them unexpectedly. although i've had the same phone for almost 4 years now

Yup, I'm with you. I call it the Disposable Phone. My husband buys used phones off of **** for all of us.

My current one is the nicest I've ever had. Now that my eyes are shot for reading, I need a full keyboard so I have to pay a bit more.

No way would I ever have an expensive phone. I would spend all my time worrying about the thing and I'd never leave the house.

runningmann
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
iphone on tmobile ftw

SuperFly
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Not to mention the iPhone 4 doesn't get reception if you hold it the wrong way (ie. the way everyone holds their phone.)

Apple offers some pretty weak products, and if you love Mac, then all you love is a brand. Apple's hardware isn't better. Their software is incredibly rigid (not to mention Steve Jobs stole the UNIX kernel, which was supposed to be open-source and free, then proceeded to turn it into the drunken uncle in the UNIX family.) They control people's iStuff that they bought with their own money (like locking down iTouches and iPhones if they find an unapproved app in there.) And they call Microsoft evil.

Kevin T
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Hey, if you need additional ammo, give me a call.

10ACE
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
, iOS4 which allows multitasking, folders, and a unified email inbox.

haha I agree However, with the i0s4 now on my old 3gs the battery life is better- I'll wait a while

drakulie
06-25-2010, 01:27 PM
thanks everyone. I've gone to small claims before (won easily), so am familiar with the process. AT&T will pay one way or anther, either by way of having to dish out money for a lawyer, or pay me for my claim.

Cindy, agree with you. Small claims rocks. If more people ulized it, companies wouldn't be so quick to dismiss their customers.

kevin T, email me at drakulie@aol.com

OrangeOne
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Apple offers some pretty weak products, and if you love Mac, then all you love is a brand.

Actually, that's not quite true. Apple develop their products as a cohesive system, and the pieces usually 'just work'.

Apple's hardware isn't better.That's just not true. The macbook range is better-built than 90% of the laptop market. The iMac range is better designed than most of the competitive products - hell, right now when you buy it it's a 1-cord computer out of the box, which is pretty amazing. Apple screens have, until recent years, been ahead of the competition (now, everyone buys the same panels and some equality exists, though they still offer things that designer / photographers like, as in matt finishes on some models).

They control people's iStuff that they bought with their own money (like locking down iTouches and iPhones if they find an unapproved app in there.)This is something you're aware of pre-purchase though. Buy an iPod, know you have to play by the rules. It's a choice. It also means that the device is usually much more stable, not to mention easy to use. Every person who has asked me "what music player should I buy" and has ignored my "buy an iPod" advice has ended up having problems syncing the player with their computer in one way or another - including me, when I ignored that advice once.

Look, I have an I.T. degree and have been a PC user until 2010. I changed to the iPhone when I got sick of Nokia's pathetic support policy, and their latter-year propensity to drop half-developed phones on the market. Apple focus on one phone every 2 years, and everyone else tries to release 5 a year to top it. (And I'm in Australia, so the networks allow it to work properly). I already had iPods, and then changed to Mac on one computer.

It won't be long until that's all I consider, until someone else manages to present well-designed, cohesive, reliable options 'that just work'. Sure, I'll pay a little more (which is negligible over the lifespan of the product), sure, I'll be a little more restricted...but sure, things will likely just work.

BreakPoint
06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
But it's so beautiful.. :(
I have a huge soft spot for everything apple <3
Sounds like Apple's marketing has suckered you right in....... :)

rovex
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Sounds like Apple's marketing has suckered you right in....... :)

Just found this on their website about the new phone

"the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains." - Speaking of the glass on the phone

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/#design-video

LOL. Next thing Apple will tell us is that it's bulletproof!

flyinghippos101
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
You Americans think you have it bad, Rogers up here is the epitome of crap service and they had a monopoly on iphones only till recently.

mikeler
06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
1 reason not to buy = iTunes sucks

OrangeOne
06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
1 reason not to buy = iTunes sucks

Why? I'm curious.

SuperFly
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Why? I'm curious.

On Windows, it's a memory black hole. Once I was idling it and I looked on Task Manager. It was using 150k. I couldn't even run the smallest of programs. Then I switched to Winamp. So much lighter.

Thomas Crown
06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
i bought an xperia x10 by sony coz it cost me 50 dollars to upgrade to it. it looks better than the iphone and does the same things.

SuperFly
06-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Actually, that's not quite true. Apple develop their products as a cohesive system, and the pieces usually 'just work'.

That's just not true. The macbook range is better-built than 90% of the laptop market. The iMac range is better designed than most of the competitive products - hell, right now when you buy it it's a 1-cord computer out of the box, which is pretty amazing. Apple screens have, until recent years, been ahead of the competition (now, everyone buys the same panels and some equality exists, though they still offer things that designer / photographers like, as in matt finishes on some models).

This is something you're aware of pre-purchase though. Buy an iPod, know you have to play by the rules. It's a choice. It also means that the device is usually much more stable, not to mention easy to use. Every person who has asked me "what music player should I buy" and has ignored my "buy an iPod" advice has ended up having problems syncing the player with their computer in one way or another - including me, when I ignored that advice once.

Look, I have an I.T. degree and have been a PC user until 2010. I changed to the iPhone when I got sick of Nokia's pathetic support policy, and their latter-year propensity to drop half-developed phones on the market. Apple focus on one phone every 2 years, and everyone else tries to release 5 a year to top it. (And I'm in Australia, so the networks allow it to work properly). I already had iPods, and then changed to Mac on one computer.

It won't be long until that's all I consider, until someone else manages to present well-designed, cohesive, reliable options 'that just work'. Sure, I'll pay a little more (which is negligible over the lifespan of the product), sure, I'll be a little more restricted...but sure, things will likely just work.

But when everything "just works," it usually means that when something actually goes a-wal, then you're boned. Also, the one cord computer thing? Here's my response:
http://i47.tinypic.com/1217cid.jpg

Here's a list of reasons why Apple is freaking scary. Read and shiat brix. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html)

Cindysphinx
06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
thanks everyone. I've gone to small claims before (won easily), so am familiar with the process.

I'm 2-0 in actual small claims trials. A delivery driver hit my car in SF and his company wouldn't pay. Won the trial. He appealed, and appeals require a second trial. Won that one also. Got paid the full amount.

Had another small claims court case against the lady who ran over my dog while I was walking it on a leash in broad daylight, while I was crossing a street in the crosswalk with the green light and pedestrian walk signal. Got the full amount in a settlement shortly before small claims trial.

OrangeOne
06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
i bought an xperia x10 by sony coz it cost me 50 dollars to upgrade to it. it looks better than the iphone and does the same things.

I bought a Nokia N97 for similar reasons - well, because it claimed to do more than the iPhone - inbuilt keyboard, flash, fm transmitter, full bluetooth, etc.

Then I realised (by comparison), no one was developing for it. Not great having the best device on earth if it can't run the software. Thesedays I'm finding everyone is developing for the iPhone, and I can download an app for any major web interaction I have - ****, Banks, etc etc.

Also: How's sony's post-warranty support? Apple will, for $200, ship me a replacement iPhone if I damage it to a medium level / or if it dies, after the 1 year warranty has expired. The same thing applies inside the warranty if I do something to it that isn't warranty covered. They'll even ship a replacement and give me 10 days to send in the stuffed phone.

OrangeOne
06-25-2010, 07:04 PM
But when everything "just works," it usually means that when something actually goes a-wal, then you're boned. Also, the one cord computer thing? Here's my response:

Everything just working is a separate advantage to what you say there.

That's actually your response to the all-in-oneness of the iMac, and I absolutely agree with you.... to an extent. The extent - is that I rarely if ever have to take computing components back for repair, especially solid state ones.

Side note: You know the term / acronym is awol, right? Absent Without (Official) Leave. Took me a while to get what a-wal meant.

Here's a list of reasons why Apple is freaking scary. Read and shiat brix. (http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html)

I don't blog in advance about their proprietary products (or acquire them by dubious means), MS has been shipping unnecessary crap with Windoze for years now, and I tend to believe consumers will vote with their feet were they to take advertising down an unacceptable path (including myself).

No reason to create brix of any kind there.

West Coast Ace
06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
i'm gonna wait a little while, so they can fix the little bugs, that i new would be on it when it first came out!Me too = maybe longer. My current iPhone is fine. None of the new features are must have - and the antenna problem is ridiculous.

The Droid advertised Skype on their commercial...What the hell? Why do you want a phone, in a phone?! What purpose does this have?!
You should go read up on Skype.

Me personally, I hope the iPhone does go to Verizon and I hope a majority of people switch to Verizon and take their iPhone with them. In a few months time we'll see posts here about how Verizon service is terrible.
I agree. Verizon is a big, evil corp just like AT&T - used to have my laptop broadband with them - no more.

subz
06-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Nokia N8 is comming soon ! and it is awesome esp. its camera and navigation support. Plus like iphone, N8 screen is uses a capacitive technology which makes it much better to use.

AudiOphiLiA
06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
What do you guys think about the new data plans?

rommil
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Hello again guys..... This time from my iPhone 4.

OrangeOne
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Hello again guys..... IUDWH we fwh uUHwefh IpHone 2.

Something seems wrong!

rommil
06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Something seems wrong!

Haha so far from my end I'm loving it all......it's much faster too.

West Coast Ace
06-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Hello again guys..... This time from my iPhone 4.Please send us a pic of your iTumor... :)

The Vitamin L
06-29-2010, 04:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&playnext_from=TL&videos=5TPoN1BHiMw

"It's 3G and has the Wi-Fi-ssssss"

Power Player
06-29-2010, 05:02 AM
I got the new HTC Evo coming. Staying on the Sprint plan and basically having everything the Iphone does with Flash in my browser will work for me.

rommil
06-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Please send us a pic of your iTumor... :)

LOL ok.......I can do it via Facetime.

mikeler
06-29-2010, 06:56 AM
I got the new HTC Evo coming. Staying on the Sprint plan and basically having everything the Iphone does with Flash in my browser will work for me.

A friend of mine just got that phone. Looks pretty nice.

mikeler
06-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Why? I'm curious.

Every time I have to update iTunes it is a massive download. Managing multiple devices on the same computer is cumbersome. The software is no where near as intuitive as a Mac or iPhone.

Power Player
06-29-2010, 07:30 AM
A friend of mine just got that phone. Looks pretty nice.

Yep. It will have 4g coverage and has the front facing camera just like the new Iphone. Also will work with skype, and I just saw screenshots of the new Kindle app for it, and it looks awesome. I am not sure what it can't do compared to the Iphone to be honest.

OrangeOne
06-29-2010, 02:03 PM

I'd like to have flash in the browser, I'd be up for that. But a HTC doing everything the iPhone does? On a spec sheet, sure, no doubt it does more. In real life? Not a chance. A device is only as powerful and flexible as the software that is developed to run on it, and that is - accidentally or by design - the real power of the iPhone. It's the first choice for app developers in corporate world (the-bay, banks, timetables, etc etc), and the primary choice for those developing for fun or lifestyle too.

OrangeOne
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Every time I have to update iTunes it is a massive download. Managing multiple devices on the same computer is cumbersome. The software is no where near as intuitive as a Mac or iPhone.

Fair enough, I do tend to agree with the fact that it's not as intuitive or as user friendly as the devices. I find it ok with multiple devices - but the only device I'm really picky about is the iPhone, the iPods seem to sync ok. As for download size - I guess I stopped caring about such things....

mikeler
06-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Fair enough, I do tend to agree with the fact that it's not as intuitive or as user friendly as the devices. I find it ok with multiple devices - but the only device I'm really picky about is the iPhone, the iPods seem to sync ok. As for download size - I guess I stopped caring about such things....

Download size is not a big deal but still annoying. When I download a Flash update it literally takes about 15 seconds and then I'm done. My problem is more about the software not being as user friendly. Apple probably puts their crappy programmers on the Windows versions of all their software. :)

Gemini
06-30-2010, 04:42 AM

drakulie..I'll agree with you partially. I can't speak to the iPhone itself as I don't own one but I do think it has some cool features. I'm not a fan of Steve Jobs though.

The part where I agree is that AT&T is essentially the axis of evil and I wish you all the luck in the world in court.

sapient007
06-30-2010, 04:49 AM
that is now a hawkeye type of app for iphone4 that will help your tennis matches. the only drawback is that you need 2 phones at both end of the court elevated. it's pretty cool

Power Player
06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
I'd like to have flash in the browser, I'd be up for that. But a HTC doing everything the iPhone does? On a spec sheet, sure, no doubt it does more. In real life? Not a chance. A device is only as powerful and flexible as the software that is developed to run on it, and that is - accidentally or by design - the real power of the iPhone. It's the first choice for app developers in corporate world (the-bay, banks, timetables, etc etc), and the primary choice for those developing for fun or lifestyle too.

I guess. The google apps run on Linux and are getting extremely popular due to the more open approval system and also the fact that the new Android 2.2 software coming out is getting rave reviews. I can get about any app I want for Android, and the Kindle one was released same day for both style phones. I will be able to screw around when bored and play Mario Kart on an SNES emulator, that you would need to jailbreak your iphone to do.

I personally don't care about a phone that much to get loyal to just one. I think that's kind of silly. That is how companies like AT&T screw you over. I just don't see how the Iphone is much better then the Evo from reading comparisons. The battery power seems to be an issue that is being addressed, but the screen size is incredible. I will post more impressions once I have held the thing for longer then 2 minutes, but it's a smartphone, and it's nice to have more options then the Iphone with AT&T's bad service.

Brettolius
06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
My buddy had the G1 and now the nexus 1, seems like he is having to reboot often, or they are updating software and he has to re-install apps, or the apps after updates just disappear. Sounds like Windows OS all over again, too much of a hassle for me. It's the little crap like that. Sure a lot of the Android phones spec better than the iphone, but it's the little irritating crap like that I can deal without. This coming from someone who used to badmouth Apple at every turn. I thought I liked the fact I could build a better spec'd pc for less than a mac, but I was always working on and fussing with the thing! The iphone has been the gateway drug. itunes does suck tho, and it seemingly goes against what I have come to like about Apple, which is "make it work without the hassle." Drag and drop is clearly easier than syncing and all that crap.

Not that I care what anybody else uses, but I was a hair away from a G1, thank god I didn't go that route after seeing the hassle by friend went thru. Android will no doubt improve, but it will never, ever be as streamlined as the iphone. Too many different devices, too much differing code for each that needs to be written by the developers.

Power Player
06-30-2010, 07:21 AM
The Android does air updates and is not tethered to Itunes or any computer software. For me, that is already pretty streamlined.

What got me thinking about it is that some guys on my office use the g1 and g2 and love it. They have had them for years with no issues. My debate was between the Blackberry (which I have now..real nice phone but SUCKs for the web) and a the google phone. That is my only option if I want to stay with Sprint. I like sprint because any call you make to a mobile phone is free, so I barely use any minutes. I also have unlimited data.

The g1 is also pretty old. It does not run the OS past 1.6. The new OS is 2.2 and is getting rave reviews. Yes, I researched this stuff too much, and I have no loyalty to any one smartphone myself. I am just thinking that the days of the Iphone being the only good smartphone are over.

NBM
06-30-2010, 07:32 AM
I just got a Nokia Nuron...dont laugh. T-Mobile hooked me up for free. It has free GPS navigation which works great. The data plan is 10 bucks a month for unlimited internet and email. It has a touch screen which is very vibrant and works well enough. It doesnt have WiFi. There are enough Symbian apps for it and lots of Java apps. It takes MicroSD cards which is a biggie if you have tons of music like i do. The iPhones are very stupidly limited by having fixed memory only. ie: they can charge you 50 bucks more or whatever so you can get a phone w. more memory which only costs them a buck more or whatever. The apple stuff IMO is very radically overpriced and far too proprietary. iTunes is the worst piece of software kludge i;ve ever seen, and has caused many people to cuss at it for the piece of whack it is. i suppose it would work better when run on a Apple PC....and many people are way past tired of I this and I that...but then again, it is an I world . I;m not an Apple fan ;)

EP1998
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM
The Android does air updates and is not tethered to Itunes or any computer software. For me, that is already pretty streamlined.

What got me thinking about it is that some guys on my office use the g1 and g2 and love it. They have had them for years with no issues. My debate was between the Blackberry (which I have now..real nice phone but SUCKs for the web) and a the google phone. That is my only option if I want to stay with Sprint. I like sprint because any call you make to a mobile phone is free, so I barely use any minutes. I also have unlimited data.

The g1 is also pretty old. It does not run the OS past 1.6. The new OS is 2.2 and is getting rave reviews. Yes, I researched this stuff too much, and I have no loyalty to any one smartphone myself. I am just thinking that the days of the Iphone being the only good smartphone are over.

Which Blackberry model do you have currently?

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
I personally don't care about a phone that much to get loyal to just one.

Depends what you use it for. I use my phone for business and social life, and 95% of people that I know that want a smart phone for business as well - choose the iPhone. I do support your theory below that the gap is somewhat closing though.

Then again, many of the circles I mix in tend to be 'apple' circles - people that already have mac/macbooks.

I think that's kind of silly. That is how companies like AT&T screw you over. I just don't see how the Iphone is much better then the Evo from reading comparisons. The battery power seems to be an issue that is being addressed, but the screen size is incredible. I will post more impressions once I have held the thing for longer then 2 minutes, but it's a smartphone, and it's nice to have more options then the Iphone with AT&T's bad service.

Perhaps this is how I'm unique here - as I said earlier - I'm in Australia, and here we have free choice over *any* network, thus letting the iPhone work as it's intended to. I bought mine outright and then chose a network, and should I not be happy, I could easily port across to another network, all without much cost or hassle.

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
It takes MicroSD cards which is a biggie if you have tons of music like i do. The iPhones are very stupidly limited by having fixed memory only. ie: they can charge you 50 bucks more or whatever so you can get a phone w. more memory which only costs them a buck more or whatever.

Yeah, agreed. I would like expandable memory in the iPhone. BUT: With nokias, I always found the music syncing to be horrific, and not worth the problem. Sure, I have tons of music too (well over half a terabyte at the quality I like), but iTunes at least makes it easy to sync whatever chunks i want for that day / week / etc.

Hopefully Nokia are improving this....

and many people are way past tired of I this and I that...but then again, it is an I world . I;m not an Apple fan ;)

Nice theory, I'd probably believe it more if Apple weren't on the increase, at least with sales of the iPhone / iPad. Last sales figures I saw said the mac range was staying constant, and Apple's growth is coming from the additional devices. With them now growing beyond microsoft, people can't be too sick of iThis & iThat.

Power Player
06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Which Blackberry model do you have currently?

I have the Curve 8330. Not a bad phone. It lasted me for 2 years and was damn good at email and text. But I wanted something that I could really take advantage of my data plan with and the Evo was the logical choice. It is getting rave reviews for it's web browsing, which is real big for me.

Orangeone didn't know you were in AUS. That changes the game completely because you can get the best carrier you want.

Here a lot of businesses use the blackberry. It is also government issued. The Iphone is used for business also, but I think the blackberry still is king for just business.

My phone is just for my music business, which I want to update my website and receive emails on. The rest is social. I want to grab some games too and play SNES emulators and watch videos. Things like that are taylor made for the EVO.

Trust me, if I hate it, I will not be ashamed to tell people.

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
It is getting rave reviews for it's web browsing, which is real big for me.

I web browse on the iPhone and enjoy it - so fluid, and nice features like double-tapping a column to zoom to fit, etc, but of course I'm honest enough to say every now and then the lack of flash makes me want to headbutt things :). It's not often though, and speaking as someone who does a very little web dev, I'd rethink using flash thesedays if that's what I had been using, well, especially if I were to write a m-dot site.

That said, I find thesedays I'm almost always near something that makes web browsing (or editing) so much easier than any of the phone-size devices however good they are - even my little asus netbook is 100 times easier to browse or edit should I need to, and as a 2-monitor user for a few years now, I love screen real-estate when it's available.

Orangeone didn't know you were in AUS. That changes the game completely because you can get the best carrier you want.
Indeed. Our best carrier is still way too expensive, but the next two down are fairly similar for service and price, and have some 'resellers' that do things cheaper again.

Here a lot of businesses use the blackberry. It is also government issued. The Iphone is used for business also, but I think the blackberry still is king for just business.Same, although the mood is shifting. Last stories I saw, many were switching to the iPhone. Could just be PR driven articles tho ;)

Trust me, if I hate it, I will not be ashamed to tell people.Throw a write-up in this thread if you get a chance? I'm keen to hear thoughts on it. I'll have to find out which HTC my mate has - he loves his.

I wasn't ever afraid to say the Nokia N97 that I paid cash outright for - was a piece of stinking crap (not that it stopped my sister from buying - and disliking one!!!). That said, I knew it was crap before I went iPhone, now I know it was truuuuly crap.

NBM
06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah, agreed. I would like expandable memory in the iPhone. BUT: With nokias, I always found the music syncing to be horrific, and not worth the problem. Sure, I have tons of music too (well over half a terabyte at the quality I like), but iTunes at least makes it easy to sync whatever chunks i want for that day / week / etc.

Hopefully Nokia are improving this....

Nice theory, I'd probably believe it more if Apple weren't on the increase, at least with sales of the iPhone / iPad. Last sales figures I saw said the mac range was staying constant, and Apple's growth is coming from the additional devices. With them now growing beyond microsoft, people can't be too sick of iThis & iThat.

nice theory??? funny guy.... this phone would sync to anything in multiple ways save for iTunes...and it is cheap..or free.and accepts standard memory......but it is lacking in pretense...////http://www.break.com/index/iphone-4-vs-htc-evo.html

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
nice theory??? funny guy.... this phone would sync to anything in multiple ways save for iTunes...and it is cheap..or free.and accepts standard memory......but it is lacking in pretense...////http://www.break.com/index/iphone-4-vs-htc-evo.html

Your theory was that people are tired of iDevices (many people are way past tired of I this and I that), I pointed out that if many, many more weren't heading in the opposite direction, well then iDevices wouldn't be growing in market share, nor would Apple, the parent company, be growing as a business on the back of them.

Nokia models I've owned in the past seemed to require Nokia music software and syncing, which was horrifically train-smash terrible. Good to see they've moved forward.

Power Player
07-01-2010, 06:44 AM
I will get my own EVO tonight so I can gets hands on with it. I will probably have my cons after a week or so. Maybe not. I had few complaints with the BB besides how slow the web is, and how you had to use mobile mode if you really wanted to use the browser. also youtube was terrible..it played back (sometimes) in a super tiny window. All that ends tonight for me :)

NBM
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Your theory was that people are tired of iDevices (many people are way past tired of I this and I that), I pointed out that if many, many more weren't heading in the opposite direction, well then iDevices wouldn't be growing in market share, nor would Apple, the parent company, be growing as a business on the back of them.

Nokia models I've owned in the past seemed to require Nokia music software and syncing, which was horrifically train-smash terrible. Good to see they've moved forward.

yes, but the 'I' devices are growing more not necessarily because they are 'better' and certainly not because they are reasonably priced. think you know how the marketing works, and that many many people dont buy stuff because it represents the best price/performance combo..they buy stuff for other reasons. these 'I' devices should be renamed 'MeToo' devices :)

Brettolius
07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
yes, but the 'I' devices are growing more not necessarily because they are 'better' and certainly not because they are reasonably priced. think you know how the marketing works, and that many many people dont buy stuff because it represents the best price/performance combo..they buy stuff for other reasons. these 'I' devices should be renamed 'MeToo' devices :)

My thoughts were similar in the past, but seriously "Don't knock it til you've tried it." Unfortunately you can't really get the whole experience without owning one and getting hands on everyday. Their marketing isn't THAT good, in fact it turns me off. But you can't consider everyone who owns one a blind lemming.

EP1998
07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I have the Curve 8330. Not a bad phone. It lasted me for 2 years and was damn good at email and text. But I wanted something that I could really take advantage of my data plan with and the Evo was the logical choice. It is getting rave reviews for it's web browsing, which is real big for me.

Here a lot of businesses use the blackberry. It is also government issued. The Iphone is used for business also, but I think the blackberry still is king for just business.

My phone is just for my music business, which I want to update my website and receive emails on. The rest is social. I want to grab some games too and play SNES emulators and watch videos. Things like that are taylor made for the EVO.

Trust me, if I hate it, I will not be ashamed to tell people.

yeah definitely let us know how that goes with the evo. i have at&t and I need a new phone and was thinking of the Bold, i dont really want a touch screen and I'm really tough on phones. i have heard that you can buy a nokia from nokia usa and it is unlocked so any global sim will work, which is appealing but i am not sure i want their smartphone. i used to love nokia though.

Gemini
07-02-2010, 04:47 AM
I just got a Nokia Nuron...dont laugh. T-Mobile hooked me up for free. It has free GPS navigation which works great. The data plan is 10 bucks a month for unlimited internet and email. It has a touch screen which is very vibrant and works well enough. It doesnt have WiFi. There are enough Symbian apps for it and lots of Java apps. It takes MicroSD cards which is a biggie if you have tons of music like i do. The iPhones are very stupidly limited by having fixed memory only. ie: they can charge you 50 bucks more or whatever so you can get a phone w. more memory which only costs them a buck more or whatever. The apple stuff IMO is very radically overpriced and far too proprietary. iTunes is the worst piece of software kludge i;ve ever seen, and has caused many people to cuss at it for the piece of whack it is. i suppose it would work better when run on a Apple PC....and many people are way past tired of I this and I that...but then again, it is an I world . I;m not an Apple fan ;)

I agree with you on the proprietary nature of Apple products. I'd sacrifice my disdain for proprietary products for an iPhone if it weren't tethered to AT&T. I actually have a Macbook Pro and it's very cool and novel but it also concerns me at the same time. The "no moving parts" appearance of the Macbook is great aesthetically but I don't like having to open up my laptop to remove a battery.

I currently have an Android phone (the G2) and it's been great so far. I like the fact that I have an "unlimited" storage capacity just by swapping on sd cards (something the iPhone isn't capable of).

Power Player
07-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Day 1 has been great. I was impressed with the phone as soon as I fired it up. It looks super crisp and has all the apps that the Iphone does. I am also currently streaming the world cup live on espn mobile. A workmate of mine can not do that on his iphone so he keeps having to walk by for updates.

The screen is huge but when I put the phone in my pocket it feels slim and not too big.

Typing on a touchscreen is going to be tricky for a bit coming from a keypad. Can't wait until they release Swype.

OrangeOne
07-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Typing on a touchscreen is going to be tricky for a bit coming from a keypad. Can't wait until they release Swype.

It only took me a few days coming from years on high-end nokias / blackberries with full qwerty.

The best advice on the iPhone (perhaps especially in the adjustment phase) is to type as fast as you physically can, and let the error-correction do it's thing. 95% of the time, it gets it right, at least for me!

Whoops, it's silly-late here and I forgot you were buying the Evo. Can't speak for their text input. As for having all the apps, I can only assume you mean 'standard' apps, like pre-installed software.

Thomas Crown
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
http://www.break.com/index/iphone-4-vs-htc-evo.html

hilarious video.