PDA

View Full Version : Yeah so World Cup needs a rule change

Falloutjr
06-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Can we please get all this diving out of the WC? It's really cheap and it's poor sportsmanship. Ghana seems to dive every time a US player comes within 5 feet of them...

Dilettante
06-26-2010, 02:02 PM
In fact there are rules for that, but refferees have the bad habit of not make them effective.

But every diving player should get a yellow card when it's very obvious.

Gonzo
06-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think Ghana was diving much at all. I do remember Altidore diving and getting a yellow for the other player. And also someone from USA diving in the box looking for the penalty.

Falloutjr
06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
In fact there are rules for that, but refferees have the bad habit of not make them effective.

But every diving player should get a yellow card when it's very obvious.

Well it should be enforced. If you watched the end of regulation and extra time, you know what I mean. They were faking so many injuries, it was hard to watch. Ghanian players just going down of no accord and burning the clock. I'm not the most savvy soccer fan, but that is not fair, in my opinion.

Slayer_of_Kings
06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Also too many players on the field.. gives the defense an edge that turns games in to indecisive slogging matches.

Breaker
06-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Also too many players on the field.. gives the defense an edge that turns games in to indecisive slogging matches.

Please go..

Dave M
06-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Well it should be enforced. If you watched the end of regulation and extra time, you know what I mean. They were faking so many injuries, it was hard to watch. Ghanian players just going down of no accord and burning the clock. I'm not the most savvy soccer fan, but that is not fair, in my opinion.
It is enforced,sadly the game has ben getting worse but the refs are starting to book people again for it which is better but they do get it wrong as we sa the Ghanian guy get booked when he and altidore got tangled up.When people are down th ref stops his watch so you don't loose time, it's why we have "injury time" and why there was 3 minutes at the end of the 45,90 or in this case 120 mins of extra time as well.
Are you proposing when you haven't got the ball some of the team goes and sits down?

bezs
06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't recall Ghana throwing themselves all about to the ground, Torres did a 10 last night and the Italians are almost 10 throughout the team.

NickC
06-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't think Ghana was diving much at all. I do remember Altidore diving and getting a yellow for the other player. And also someone from USA diving in the box looking for the penalty.

You mean the same challenge that saw Jozy get his foot stepped on and elbowed in the back of the head? Thank god you're not a ref.

Ghana not diving much? Holy ****, I guess you haven't watched much of them. Same thing as in 2006, their blatant and offensive diving robbed the match of any legitimacy and their team of any respect.

A.B.G = Anyone But Ghana.

Dilettante
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Ghanian players just going down of no accord and burning the clock. I'm not the most savvy soccer fan, but that is not fair, in my opinion.

That's what annoys me the most, much more than diving: when players at the end of the match fake injuries to burn the clock. I always thought in this kind of WC matches, when a player is down and seems to be injured, take him out ot the field and have a forced time out. If he's really injured, time out will help or just won't recover, and if he's not injured, just wait out there and leave your team with one less player for a while.

If not, we always see scenes like today: a Ghana player taken out by medical assistances, and jumping out the stretcher as soon as he was out on the side.

Gonzo
06-26-2010, 03:53 PM
You mean the same challenge that saw Jozy get his foot stepped on and elbowed in the back of the head? Thank god you're not a ref.

Ghana not diving much? Holy ****, I guess you haven't watched much of them. Same thing as in 2006, their blatant and offensive diving robbed the match of any legitimacy and their team of any respect.

You don't know what you are talking about, once again!!! Sorry mate but you are way too biased when it comes to the USA. You only see USA. You hate any team that plays or beat the USA.

Thank God you are not a ref!!

Falloutjr
06-26-2010, 03:58 PM
You don't know what you are talking about, once again!!! Sorry mate but you are way too biased when it comes to the USA. You only see USA. You hate any team that plays or beat the USA.

You have to at least admit the Ghanian players faked several injuries and stalled in very cheap, very inconspicuous ways. Bias or no, that's still concrete, and should have been put to an end after the first couple "injuries".

coyfish
06-26-2010, 04:28 PM
You have to at least admit the Ghanian players faked several injuries and stalled in very cheap, very inconspicuous ways. Bias or no, that's still concrete, and should have been put to an end after the first couple "injuries".

any team would have done that including the US. It is part of the game and always has been. Nothing new.

Fifth Set
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
any team would have done that including the US. It is part of the game and always has been. Nothing new.

Which takes us back to the point of the thread. If every team does it, it's nothing new and it's pretty lame, why doesn't FIFA act on it finally?

Because FIFA is the most arrogant sports governing body in the world. "We are popular worldwide so we don't really care about the problems." FIFA has written off the American market (which hates ties and needs commercial breaks for big television contracts) for decades and increasingly seems to be giving the whole planet the finger too.

T1000
06-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Is that the one where Jozy was inside the box and barely missed the goal even though the refs probably should have ruled it a pk?

West Coast Ace
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Because FIFA is the most arrogant sports governing body in the world.You obviously don't follow F1. Bernie Eccelstone makes these guys look like amateurs. He holds cities hostage to get races; holds races at stupid times (and dangerous for the drivers - nighttime in Singapore!) to fit the UK TV schedule.

You have to at least admit the Ghanian players faked several injuries and stalled in very cheap, very inconspicuous ways.Don't hold your breath. You'll never get any admission out of them. The Euros, especially the Brits, on this board are gleeful that the US is out. Would have crushed them that we would have potentially gone further than them, sending our leftover athletes.

Doesn't the EPL, or one of the other top Euro leagues, review dives after matches and suspend players if the ref doesn't pick it up?

coyfish
06-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Which takes us back to the point of the thread. If every team does it, it's nothing new and it's pretty lame, why doesn't FIFA act on it finally?

Because FIFA is the most arrogant sports governing body in the world. "We are popular worldwide so we don't really care about the problems." FIFA has written off the American market (which hates ties and needs commercial breaks for big television contracts) for decades and increasingly seems to be giving the whole planet the finger too.

What would you have them do ?

Falloutjr
06-26-2010, 06:50 PM
What would you have them do ?

I would have them stop the clock if a player goes down on a team that's ahead or the clock keep going if a player goes down on a team that is behind or tied. This would give players no incentive to "get injured". Also, if you leave for an injury, you cannot re-enter the game for at least 5 minutes.

NickC
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM

A few things. First off, I AM a ref. I'm certified by US Soccer and FIFA to referee U18 matches and under. I've been reffing about for 5 years. I've had more experience playing and reffing than most on this board. I've played with kids who have represented youth national teams (Mexican U14 and Swiss U18), MLS clubs (LA Galaxy, NYRB), youth squads of Premier League clubs (most notably FC Wimbledon when they were still in the Premier League), and so fourth.

Secondly, I'm not your mate.

Thirdly, I don't hate any team that plays the USA. I don't hate Spain. I don't hate Argentina, nor do I feel any kind of apathy towards Brazil, Portugal, Turkey, etc... I dislike any team that cheats to waste time or in victory. I can't stand anyone who dives. There's a reason that while I have several close relatives who are Italian (as in born and raised in Rome), I HATE the Italian national team. I can't stand them.

Ok, now let's begin. I've re-watched the match twice already. I've studied the replays of the dives that occurred in extra time. The match ended 6 hours ago, I've spent a good 4 of them looking over footage with several others who I watched the match with. There were several instances, especially once Ghana took the 2-1 lead, where the players simply fell down and feigned injury in order to wasted time. Again, your anti-USA bias is showing, because you're a Eurosnob who can't stand to see the USA care about football because it means that we're going to be kicking your asses on a regular basis in the near future.

Fifth Set
06-26-2010, 07:45 PM
I would have them stop the clock if a player goes down on a team that's ahead or the clock keep going if a player goes down on a team that is behind or tied. This would give players no incentive to "get injured". Also, if you leave for an injury, you cannot re-enter the game for at least 5 minutes.

These are good ideas, as would be instructing refs to actually call the diving infraction (including cards).

FIFA also needs to eliminate the tie. There are way too many of them and, at 0-0 in a game hundreds of millions are potentially watching, it's pretty ridiculous. Overtime, sudden death, shootouts, whatever. If the boneheads that run the NHL finally figured out a point system for that then surely FIFA can pull it off?

coyfish
06-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Thats the point of extra time.

Breaker
06-26-2010, 08:45 PM
These are good ideas, as would be instructing refs to actually call the diving infraction (including cards).

FIFA also needs to eliminate the tie. There are way too many of them and, at 0-0 in a game hundreds of millions are potentially watching, it's pretty ridiculous. Overtime, sudden death, shootouts, whatever. If the boneheads that run the NHL finally figured out a point system for that then surely FIFA can pull it off?

1. It's called a draw.
2. Draws are very important at the club level and obviously in these tournaments in groups for the lesser teams.
3. FIFA shouldn't change the way the game has been played since being introduced because people who watch the sport once every four years don't see the point in a draw.

skip1969
06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
i don't mind draws. i do mind diving. i'm not sure what brilliant scheme i would come up with to eliminate it from the game. it's just something that is ingrained in the mindset of certain players/teams.

i think fifa hasn't given the refs the confidence to enforce the rules to the maximum. so the refs are swayed by the circumstances of the situation: where the dive occurs, who is doing the diving, what's the time, what's score, etc. if they were given the full power to book divers for every cynical dive, then we might see an eventual change. sure, you'd have matches ending with 10 men versus 9, and really lopsided scores, probably. but it wouldn't take much time for players and managers to realize that the refs mean business and players should stay on their feet unless they are ready to face the wrath of the fans and media for costing their side a victory.

having said that, i didn't think ghana any more or less than any other side and i can only recall one real instance in extra time when i rolled my eyes.

maverick66
06-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I hate offsides. I really dont get the point of it but it will never ever be eliminated so why cry about it. They punish players for being faster than the defender. Every other sport speed and breakaways are huge. In soccer you have to wait for the defender to get into position and check the rest of the field before moving forward. It slows the game down and stops people from scoring.

OKUSA
06-26-2010, 09:08 PM
You need offsides otherwise it will just be longballs into the penalty box all day long

coyfish
06-26-2010, 09:20 PM
I hate offsides. I really dont get the point of it but it will never ever be eliminated so why cry about it. They punish players for being faster than the defender. Every other sport speed and breakaways are huge. In soccer you have to wait for the defender to get into position and check the rest of the field before moving forward. It slows the game down and stops people from scoring.

Not at all. If anything offsides helps the faster player. Offsides has nothing to do with who is faster. It allows the game to progress faster. When a team is pushing the defense (of attacking team) can move up and keep attacking. If offsides didn't exist than the defense would have to sit back because the other team could just camp by the goal and wait for the long ball.

Hockey has the same type of situation.

Fifth Set
06-26-2010, 09:25 PM
You need offsides otherwise it will just be longballs into the penalty box all day long

This can be solved with the use of zones (think the blue line in ice hockey, which is much more objective for the refs to call than offsides in soccer). Again, there are many ways to increase scoring, reduce cheating, etc., but it takes a willingness to improve the game in the first place. Sort of like the alcoholic's first step to recovery is admitting that he has a problem.

As Breaker's angry post demonstrates perfectly, FIFA and its apologists like being constantly drunk just fine and will tell you to go screw yourself if you suggest doing anything to move their precious vodka from its usual place.

maverick66
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM

That has more to do with the puck getting into the zone first. The defenders can stand anywhere they want and it doesnt effect where the player can go. Plus a hockey game is 3-4 times faster with transitions than soccer.

I just hate how you see someone get a good run in only to be called back because he is one step to early. That is frustrating as hell and I wish there was some way to change that rule to let the players go.

Feņa14
06-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Not at all. If anything offsides helps the faster player. Offsides has nothing to do with who is faster. It allows the game to progress faster. When a team is pushing the defense (of attacking team) can move up and keep attacking. If offsides didn't exist than the defense would have to sit back because the other team could just camp by the goal and wait for the long ball.

True, it adds to the level of tactics needed. Like this afternoon with Germany against England, you can bet Defoe will have a huge battle with the German centre backs where he hangs on their shoulder waiting to get the service to get in behind them. To stop this the German's would usually go deeper to combat his pace and leave less room in behind them for him to work in. If they do that then that means the gap between their defence and midfield gets bigger for players like Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard.

In a game there are lots of little tactical battles, something that the offside rule helps to promote.

The rule also makes every goal scored be more satisfying than it would be if it didn't exist, like this one for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ZWVFElIyk

The skill in the build up and Drogba timing his run perfectly is a thing of beauty.

BullDogTennis
06-26-2010, 10:08 PM
all soccer is, is a bunch of grass fairies!

BullDogTennis
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM

offisdes prevents cherry pickers (an offensive player just standing by thte goal by himself) waiting for someone to launch it down there...

snoopy
06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I just hate how you see someone get a good run in only to be called back because he is one step to early. That is frustrating as hell and I wish there was some way to change that rule to let the players go.

Frustrating as hell pretty much sums up the way I feel about watching soccer.

The players at the World Cup are clearly very talented and they can do all kinds of cool things with the ball. But it feels like the way the game is played prevents these athletes from displaying the full array of their skill.

Justdoit10
06-27-2010, 12:14 AM
If offsides didnt exist, Soccer would have basketball-like scores. 45-38.:)

dr325i
06-27-2010, 12:39 AM
A few things. First off, I AM a ref. I'm certified by US Soccer and FIFA to referee U18 matches and under. I've been reffing about for 5 years. I've had more experience playing and reffing than most on this board. I've played with kids who have represented youth national teams (Mexican U14 and Swiss U18), MLS clubs (LA Galaxy, NYRB), youth squads of Premier League clubs (most notably FC Wimbledon when they were still in the Premier League), and so fourth.

Secondly, I'm not your mate.

Thirdly, I don't hate any team that plays the USA. I don't hate Spain. I don't hate Argentina, nor do I feel any kind of apathy towards Brazil, Portugal, Turkey, etc... I dislike any team that cheats to waste time or in victory. I can't stand anyone who dives. There's a reason that while I have several close relatives who are Italian (as in born and raised in Rome), I HATE the Italian national team. I can't stand them.

Ok, now let's begin. I've re-watched the match twice already. I've studied the replays of the dives that occurred in extra time. The match ended 6 hours ago, I've spent a good 4 of them looking over footage with several others who I watched the match with. There were several instances, especially once Ghana took the 2-1 lead, where the players simply fell down and feigned injury in order to wasted time. Again, your anti-USA bias is showing, because you're a Eurosnob who can't stand to see the USA care about football because it means that we're going to be kicking your asses on a regular basis in the near future.

Good comeback...

HOWEVER -- you are biased, or a trully BAD ref...

Every team dives and fakes, some more, some less. Ghana did not do anything more than the others, and the USA in particular. Actually, toward the end, the US player faked, Ghana guy got a yellow for absolutely no reason and will miss the next match...

The bottom line is, Ghana played smarter and better, the US had more (half) chances. Either one did not deserve to be among the best 8, but one had to advance...

Ah, yes, and I am a USsnob who understands that the US is far, far behind the real football powers (unlike you)...

dr325i
06-27-2010, 12:48 AM

Actually, they did sanction that by adding extra time. For you, that started following football last few years, that rule did not exist some years ago.

As for the Governing body arrogance -- it is the same with any governing body. You justsee it in this case because of being a sore loser -- I am wondering how come other nations are not whining about it so much. Because it is a part of the game, accept it...

Falloutjr
06-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Actually, they did sanction that by adding extra time. For you, that started following football last few years, that rule did not exist some years ago.

As for the Governing body arrogance -- it is the same with any governing body. You justsee it in this case because of being a sore loser -- I am wondering how come other nations are not whining about it so much. Because it is a part of the game, accept it...

It's different though, in soccer. In other sports, there are regulations as to how much time you can waste with stalling (football has a play clock and OOB, basketball has a 5 second rule, stops on pass-ins in last 2 mins of the game, shot clock, must at least put the ball in play). There is almost nothing to limit stalling in soccer. I don't mean to be a "typical American" by comparing soccer to other sports, I just want to show my mindset and why I think the rules should be changed or enforced. I don't think there's anything wrong with sitting there and stalling by passing the ball back and forth, but feigning injuries and holding the ball on the sidelines for an eternity is bush-league and the Ghanian players shouldn't have pride in how they won.

SempreSami
06-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Never mind the diving, you lot got done in by a long ball over the top LOL.

Dilettante
06-27-2010, 04:53 AM
The Euros, especially the Brits, on this board are gleeful that the US is out.

That's not true. I'm not Brit but I'm an Euro, and I was rooting for the USA.

I said before that what I don't really like was injuries faking in the overtime, no matter which team does it, no matter if all of them do. I didn't like when Ghana did it and I won't like it if Spain do it.

I have to say too that people who watches football once every four years and wants to change rules have to think first about a good reason why to changea particular rule. For example, getting ride of offsides is something that no one who has a clue about football/soccer would ever do because it would be a disaster.

I root for the USA but some American fans on here (some, because other are true football fans) have to understand football has existed decades and decades before the USA became a knowledgeable part of it. Yes, there are offsides, there are draws and there are 11 players by team, and that's how the game works. I'm open to discuss disciplinary changes about diving or faking injuries, but the game itself is OK as it is.

EP1998
06-27-2010, 05:27 AM
That's not true. I'm not Brit but I'm an Euro, and I was rooting for the USA.

I said before that what I don't really like was injuries faking in the overtime, no matter which team does it, no matter if all of them do. I didn't like when Ghana did it and I won't like it if Spain do it.

I have to say too that people who watches football once every four years and wants to change rules have to think first about a good reason why to changea particular rule. For example, getting ride of offsides is something that no one who has a clue about football/soccer would ever do because it would be a disaster.

I root for the USA but some American fans on here (some, because other are true football fans) have to understand football has existed decades and decades before the USA became a knowledgeable part of it. Yes, there are offsides, there are draws and there are 11 players by team, and that's how the game works. I'm open to discuss disciplinary changes about diving or faking injuries, but the game itself is OK as it is.

Excellent post!

EP1998
06-27-2010, 05:31 AM
A few things. I've had more experience playing and reffing than most on this board.

Don't be so sure about that. A lot of people who post on here don't talk directly about their experiences or name names and places. They are willing to risk that people wont take their posts as seriously rather than divulge any personal information or details that would back them up.

Fifth Set
06-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Well, it didn't even take one half of soccer in the next match for our point to be proven again.

More lousy officiating and FIFA's arrogant refusal to even consider goal line replays costs England an obvious goal.

What will FIFA's apologists scream this time? That us Americans are just bitter because now the mother country got robbed?!

Breaker
06-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Except everyone but that twat Platini knows that we need goaline technology.

Dilettante
06-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Oops, wrong thread.

NickC
06-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Good comeback...

HOWEVER -- you are biased, or a trully BAD ref...

Every team dives and fakes, some more, some less. Ghana did not do anything more than the others, and the USA in particular. Actually, toward the end, the US player faked, Ghana guy got a yellow for absolutely no reason and will miss the next match...

Jozy had the guy get a yellow because the guy stepped on Jozy's foot and then elbowed him in the head. Replays showed that.

The bottom line is, Ghana played smarter and better, the US had more (half) chances. Either one did not deserve to be among the best 8, but one had to advance...

I'm aware.

Ah, yes, and I am a USsnob who understands that the US is far, far behind the real football powers (unlike you)...

I know that we're far enough behind to be cheated out of a clean win, loss, or tie.

Don't be so sure about that. A lot of people who post on here don't talk directly about their experiences or name names and places. They are willing to risk that people wont take their posts as seriously rather than divulge any personal information or details that would back them up.

Again, that's why I said "most" and not "all". I'm well aware that there are people with more experience than I will ever have.

NickC
06-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Except everyone but that twat Blatter knows that we need goaline technology.

Fixed for you.

Breaker
06-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Fixed for you.

Yeah you're right, Platini's still a twat though :)

Gorecki
06-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Oh... you are american? no wonder you post so much sheize on footbal threads!!!!

sorry! i thought you are just a troll... works out you are just footbal ignorant!

my bad!

dr325i
06-27-2010, 09:02 AM
It's different though, in soccer. In other sports, there are regulations as to how much time you can waste with stalling (football has a play clock and OOB, basketball has a 5 second rule, stops on pass-ins in last 2 mins of the game, shot clock, must at least put the ball in play). There is almost nothing to limit stalling in soccer. I don't mean to be a "typical American" by comparing soccer to other sports, I just want to show my mindset and why I think the rules should be changed or enforced. I don't think there's anything wrong with sitting there and stalling by passing the ball back and forth, but feigning injuries and holding the ball on the sidelines for an eternity is bush-league and the Ghanian players shouldn't have pride in how they won.

Of course they should...
The US captain defense performance in the overtime was a joke -- directly responsible for that goal...

In this game, the US team was not any better (performer), Ghana deserved to advance...

coyfish
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Well, it didn't even take one half of soccer in the next match for our point to be proven again.

More lousy officiating and FIFA's arrogant refusal to even consider goal line replays costs England an obvious goal.

What will FIFA's apologists scream this time? That us Americans are just bitter because now the mother country got robbed?!

Replays . . . no, but goal line technology . . . yes

West Coast Ace
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Except everyone but that twat <whoever> knows that we need goaline technology.Are any of the Euro or S Amer pro leagues use it.

Sorry, Brits. This is called Karma. You stick your noses in the air and say "those Americans want to change everything; our game doesn't need any improving." Payback is a 'you know what'.

Falloutjr
06-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Of course they should...
The US captain defense performance in the overtime was a joke -- directly responsible for that goal...

In this game, the US team was not any better (performer), Ghana deserved to advance...

I never said they didn't deserve to advance. I just said they shouldn't be proud of how they played at the end of the match.

NickC
06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh... you are american? no wonder you post so much sheize on footbal threads!!!!

sorry! i thought you are just a troll... works out you are just footbal ignorant!

my bad!

Oh, you are Portuguese? You must be, because you sound like you're still bitter from 2002. No wonder you're acting like such a sore looser.

Gorecki
06-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Oh, you are Portuguese? You must be, because you sound like you're still bitter from 2002. No wonder you're acting like such a sore looser.

my oh my... me bitter? no. losing happens to everyone. whereas my 10 million people country is considered a wc and ec contender every time, you country is and always be considered a funny joke in WC! the lefteovers of basketball to entertain us the historic nations!

stick to baseball and nachos!

NickC
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
my oh my... me bitter? no. losing happens to everyone. whereas my 10 million people country is considered a wc and ec contender every time, you country is and always be considered a funny joke in WC! the lefteovers of basketball to entertain us the historic nations!

stick to baseball and nachos!

Considered a WC and EC contender every time? Have you won a World Cup? An Euro Cup? From what I recall, Portugal has yet to surpass the USA's best ever result at a World Cup (third place). Your Golden Generation, at the height of it's powers, couldn't advance from a group that had South Korea and some country you consider a "funny joke" (whose fifth and sixth string athletes took your legends like Figo to school). Odd, huh?

SempreSami
06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Are any of the Euro or S Amer pro leagues use it.

Sorry, Brits. This is called Karma. You stick your noses in the air and say "those Americans want to change everything; our game doesn't need any improving." Payback is a 'you know what'.

The only thing that needs improving is referees knowing what they're ****ing doing.

Seem to have a real chip on your shoulder against the rest of the world, WCA.

West Coast Ace
06-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Seem to have a real chip on your shoulder against the rest of the world, WCA.Hardly. Just dishing back what we get from you smug Euros who come to this board and spout nonsense. The world has passed Europe - a long time ago. The future is the US and pockets of Asia. Sorry if the truth hurts. I've been to over 20 countries. Incredible difference between Asia and Europe. Asia - more like the US in regards to being willing and eager to learn and experiment. Europe - think they know it all and think everyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

Watching ESPN News. I like Tommy Smith. But watching his backpedal on using technology is impressive and sad. Thought it was a joke before he woke up this morning - now it's his crusade. And he waffles on the UK squad. One sentence "Gerrard, Terry... are great club players. They know how to play the game." Then a minute later "The UK team is old." Sorry, Tommy. You can't have it both ways. Yeah, Terry is great - but on Chelsea he has superstar speedsters from other countries doing the heavy lifting.

Fifth Set
06-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Another game, another screw up. Wow, I guess FIFA just figures that people are as much tuning in for the car crash officiating as they are for the game itself?!

Gorecki
06-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Considered a WC and EC contender every time? Have you won a World Cup? An Euro Cup? From what I recall, Portugal has yet to surpass the USA's best ever result at a World Cup (third place). Your Golden Generation, at the height of it's powers, couldn't advance from a group that had South Korea and some country you consider a "funny joke" (whose fifth and sixth string athletes took your legends like Figo to school). Odd, huh?

Like i said, stick to baseball Ignorant Kid...

1966 rigs you a bell Dumbass?

third place in the 1933 wc? lol.... uruguay was winning world cups back then... get real!

do your story studies prior to posting such bullcrap in these forums!

dParis
06-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Too funny. You assume it's a USA thing. Looks like prejudice and bias turned you into the type of person you're railing against - not to mention the fog it puts over your perception of reality.:lol:

1. It's called a draw.
2. Draws are very important at the club level and obviously in these tournaments in groups for the lesser teams.
3. FIFA shouldn't change the way the game has been played since being introduced because people who watch the sport once every four years don't see the point in a draw.
I think everyone can live with the draws in the 1st round. It's the 0-0 draw, or even the 1-1 draw that makes the potential followers cover their collective yawn. Add to that a game that is inherently poorly officiated, leading to diving and acting contests, actual battery that goes uncalled and arbitrary timekeeping - and it's no wonder that people will spend the 47 months between contests paying attention to anything but football.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ZWVFElIyk

The skill in the build up and Drogba timing his run perfectly is a thing of beauty.
Drogba was simply at the right place place at the right time - which is where a player with good instincts should be - but it happens many times in every match. In this example the fortunate bounce of the ball led to a better than planned, gorgeous goal.
They have been adding injury time as long as I've been paying attention to the WC and that was 1986 Mexico. Only in the last 2 or 3 World Cups have they held up the light board declaring how much injury time would be added to the end of the half.
Actually, I don't see that much b*tching about it here in the largest media capital in the world. Don't be a tool. Football discussions around the world are filled with the whining of sore losers :mad:.

Feņa14
06-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Drogba was simply at the right place place at the right time - which is where a player with good instincts should be - but it happens many times in every match. In this example the fortunate bounce of the ball led to a better than planned, gorgeous goal.

Fortunate bounce? :)

Lampards flick was deliberate.

dParis
06-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Fortunate bounce? :)

Lampards flick was deliberate...
...and Drogba was the fortunate recipient. He had no beautiful, perfectly timed run.

Sidd Finch
06-27-2010, 01:45 PM
..... Add to that a game that is inherently poorly officiated, leading to diving and acting contests, actual battery that goes uncalled and arbitrary timekeeping - and it's no wonder that people will spend the 47 months between contests paying attention to anything but football.

Nah, the diving & flopping on a nightly basis in the NBA (along with lousy officiating), the acting by NFL receivers and dirty play beneath virtually every pile, diving in the NHL, 4+ hour games in baseball.......all also have some terrible officiating. Its sports & human error. It happens in all of them. That said, I can't believe that there is no camera replay for goals at the World Cup. You can say the "right place at the right time" in every sporting event. It's the skill level that creates the opps. I'm no big fan of soccer but this WC has been fun to watch.

Rippy
06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Hardly. Just dishing back what we get from you smug Euros who come to this board and spout nonsense. The world has passed Europe - a long time ago. The future is the US and pockets of Asia. Sorry if the truth hurts. I've been to over 20 countries. Incredible difference between Asia and Europe. Asia - more like the US in regards to being willing and eager to learn and experiment. Europe - think they know it all and think everyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

Nice generalisation. You trying to live up to the American stereotype?