PDA

View Full Version : I know it's all the rage but ...

Davis937
06-28-2010, 01:10 AM
OK ... I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I am not really sure what "twittering" is ... does someone have a simple definition for mois who is not very tech savvy ... also, what are the "benefits" of twittering ... finally, I just need to get an idea of how many of you on TTW actually twitter ... and if you "enjoy" it ... oh, yeah ... if I want to "try" twittering ... is there a "free" site to do this or do I have to sign up for a special plan ... thanks in advance for your comments/information!

LameTennisPlayer
06-28-2010, 01:39 AM
i only just joined facebook a lil while back, i joined twitter ages, but am the same have no idea how to use it, just followed a few people, im almost 30 so im guessing im too old for this sh** lol

OrangeOne
06-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Wiki knows all, or near enough...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

CanadianChic
06-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Twittering is lame. I can see the appeal for creepy super fans to salivate over the object of their obsession and hang onto every word. But really. No one cares that Kim in Norfolk Nebraska just ate a bowl of Cheerios.

ogruskie
06-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I only use Twitter to follow my favorite bands. I'm a die-hard fan of a few groups, and nothing makes my day more when my favorite musicians announce tour dates or new release dates for music. But other than that, it's quite useless unless you stalk people in real life.

fed_the_savior
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I heard there's this cool new website to find out information like this too... Googy or something.

skip1969
06-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I heard there's this cool new website to find out information like this too... Googy or something.
really, cos i just googled "googy" but nothing came up.

OKUSA
06-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I follow Caroline Wozniacki, it's less creepy than following her around the world I think

fed_the_savior
06-29-2010, 12:03 AM
really, cos i just googled "googy" but nothing came up.

google! that's it

http://i49.tinypic.com/2d2dhl0.jpg

Davis937
06-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the posts ... and the Wikipedia link ... you know, even after reading the Wiki explanation I'm still a little lost ... does anyone have a simple (i.e. in plain English) two or three sentence explanation of "twittering" ... I still don't know why it's so popular ... and why it's useful ... thanks!

bezs
06-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Its sort of like text messaging, just at your homepage you get the short texts called tweets from people you follow be it your friends or some celebrity. The tweets usually involve a short text on your thoughts on a current matter or whatever you're doing at the moment. So you kinda know what's going in the lives of people that you follow.

hollywood9826
06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Bill Simmons of ESPN.com has mastered Twitter.

He started acelticschant page and during celtic playoff games he would tweet a chant and enough people in the stadium were following him that they could get the crowd going with said chant.

Its really good for writers to post a link to thier recnt articles and stuff like that.

Cant see much use for a regular dude to use it everyday to update his status. But to follow your favorite celebs/atheltes it can be good.

Theres was some serious tweetin goin on during that Isner match by a ton of pros. Bryan Bros tweeted before 5th set that Isner would win 30-28. then at 50-50 said he was planing on being under :)

skip1969
06-29-2010, 08:36 AM
google! that's it

http://i49.tinypic.com/2d2dhl0.jpg
but, i was using sarcasm.

Fee
06-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the posts ... and the Wikipedia link ... you know, even after reading the Wiki explanation I'm still a little lost ... does anyone have a simple (i.e. in plain English) two or three sentence explanation of "twittering" ... I still don't know why it's so popular ... and why it's useful ... thanks!

Have you ever looked at anyone's twitter page? If you did, it would be fairly self explanatory. It's just another means of communication, condensed down to short bursts of 140 characters maximum. Different people use it for different things. Some examples:

Target uses their twitter page for marketing: www.twitter.com/target (http://www.twitter.com/target)

Wimbledon uses their twitter for scores, updates, etc, during the tournament (a lot of tournaments have twitter pages now): www.twitter.com/wimbledon (http://www.twitter.com/wimbledon)

One of my favorites, Adam Levine of Maroon5, uses his for random thoughts but the coolest thing he ever did was give away his Paul McCartney concert tickets one night on the spur of the moment because he was in the studio recording and could not go: www.twitter.com/adamlevine (http://www.twitter.com/adamlevine)

Many members of Congress have twitter pages that they use to talk about votes, news items, upcoming events, election appearances, whatever.

Then there are the regular people like us who use it for whatever - to chat with friends, or follow news sites, or sports teams. Of course some people use it to perpetrate scams and multilevel marketing schemes.

It's just another place to learn about things that interest you. I prefer it over facebook because it can be a much more private and anonymous experience, if you choose that.

dave333
06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
I follow a few of my friends and some comedians. Usually they tweet something witty and give me a good chuckle.

Thomas Crown
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
all i see on twitter is:

1. "in line at mickey d's. hope the cashier from yesterday is there.'
2. " the new bond movie is going to be awesome."
3. just threw up.
4. neighbors are having loud sex.

it's just a platform for people to share the lameness of their life with others, thinking that they're being clever and funny. basically, everyone's a comedian on twitter.

Froggie4
06-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I can't get into Twitter. I like Facebook.

fed_the_savior
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
but, i was using sarcasm.

then you don't need to explain do you...

West Coast Ace
06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Twittering is lame.I tend to agree about 99.99% of it... (see below)

I follow Caroline Wozniacki, it's less creepy than following her around the world I thinkThe police have been notified...

As Fee mentioned, there are some companies using it constructively. I heard today that US Air had a tweet today announcing that they would have 20 seats available on a DFW to Vegas flight (in 1st class) for $79 each way.

Vyse
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I like Twitter, I follow tennis players and whatnot. I like the updates, I follow some people that give news about sports or tennis or breaking news. I like it quite abit

Davis937
06-30-2010, 01:49 AM
... Thanks to all of you who are trying to explain "twittering" to me ... was wonder if you can twitter from your email as well as your cell phone?

Fee
07-01-2010, 11:54 PM
... Thanks to all of you who are trying to explain "twittering" to me ... was wonder if you can twitter from your email as well as your cell phone?

Probably, there are a lot of 3rd party platforms out there that allow you to post in all different kinds of ways. I'm not familiar with any of them personally, I just use the plain old web version of twitter.

Cindysphinx
07-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Twittering. Yuck.

A friend invited me to Twitter a while ago. I joined, just to avoid hurting her feelings.

What a mistake. I never once checked my account or read a Tweet or sent a Tweet or gave a crap about Tweets. All it meant was that about once a week I would receive an invitation to have access to the Tweets of a total stranger.

I just canceled the account yesterday.

I have Facebook, but I really don't need yet another time suck in my life. It was great to see pics of all of my old high school buddies, but I don't visit my page ever.

Funny story: When I register for web sites, I don't use my real birth date for security reasons. So I registered on Facebook as Jan. 1, 1961. Little did I know that Facebook would display this birth date to the world. So I got all of these birthday greetings on New Year's Day this year. I had to go on my page and 'fess up. Oops.

Fee
07-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Funny story: When I register for web sites, I don't use my real birth date for security reasons. So I registered on Facebook as Jan. 1, 1961. Little did I know that Facebook would display this birth date to the world. So I got all of these birthday greetings on New Year's Day this year. I had to go on my page and 'fess up. Oops.

You can tell FB not to display your birthdate at all.

Chris Rizutto
07-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Twittering is for losers with no life.

TourTenor
07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Hmm, there are some interesting responses here.

Yeah, it is lame if you are following people making lame comments however, it can be quite valuable if .... you are getting world news hours before it hits the mainstream media, getting articles you wouldn't normally get on subjects you like and getting commentary from people you respect.

In my case I get articles on sustainability, photography, high performance autos, urban planning, the economy and some others.

Twitter is analogous to a river. You can dip your toe in or you can go swimming ... it is a constant stream of flowing information. Whatever you do, make sure you are following good information not just lame tweets.

Davis937
07-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Twittering. Yuck.

A friend invited me to Twitter a while ago. I joined, just to avoid hurting her feelings.

What a mistake. I never once checked my account or read a Tweet or sent a Tweet or gave a crap about Tweets. All it meant was that about once a week I would receive an invitation to have access to the Tweets of a total stranger.

I just canceled the account yesterday.

I have Facebook, but I really don't need yet another time suck in my life. It was great to see pics of all of my old high school buddies, but I don't visit my page ever.

LOL ... that was great, Cindy!