PDA

View Full Version : About to get ear pierced... need advice

mpournaras
06-28-2010, 06:18 PM
So i want to get my ear pierced...

I am going to the beach in 5 days. Will the salt water or anything hurt like sh*t?

And does sweat from playing make it sting?

are either of these two things not considered "sanitary"?

~thanks for advice kids

drakulie
06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
don't do it.

good luck.

CanadianChic
06-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree with Drak.

mpournaras
06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
it will be a tasteful ring, small and un-flashy.

c'mon guys :(

maverick66
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
are you male or female?

mpournaras
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
male, 6'00", greek/american, medium dark skin, buzz, brown eyes

maverick66
06-28-2010, 07:56 PM
men shouldnt get things pierced. They just shouldnt.

skip1969
06-28-2010, 08:02 PM
well, if you wanna do it, do it. it doesn't hurt, really. only takes a second. and you just gotta wipe your lobes down with a cotton ball and whatever they give you at the shop. piece of cake.

having said all that, i didn't think it was all that cool anymore for guys to wear earrings? not that my old *ss knows anything about what's cool. heh

OrangeOne
06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
are you male or female?

Based on that interaction, never ever stand on a witness stand!

Also: Remember which ear is which. One means "cool in the 1970s", and the other means entirely different things.

skip1969
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
lol. does each ear still mean something? i thought that was over ages ago. now every guy you see has them both pierced.

Mkie7
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
If you want it just do it. Its not the end of the world if you change your mind later. As far as hurtin'... its like a mosquito sting.... hmm... lets make that ten times the pain/feel. It take a few weeks for it to fully recover. Do it after your trip to the beach/ vacation or what ever. You need to keep the piercing clean and dry till it heals.

If you are doing it because you are insecure .... don't do it. If its for fun, just do it.

OrangeOne
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
lol. does each ear still mean something? i thought that was over ages ago. now every guy you see has them both pierced.

Both or left means little, I still think there'd be sections of society that would see the right ear as meaning gay....

I don't see that many with ear piercings anymore, unless it's someone in the 'piercing sub-culture', if I can label such a thing.

Fearsome Forehand
06-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Do you mean Greek in the sense of from Greece, or Greek in the sense of don't drop the soap in the shower while standing next to you. :)

I did this years ago. It is sort of a pain to keep turning the stud and all that stuff. I had it for a few weeks, the novelty wore off rather quickly and I let it heal over.

Have it done professionally if you are going to do it so you don't end up with the nick name One Ear.

Consider a clip on instead. :)

And the right ear is the homosexual ear so if you don't want guys who play for the other team making eyes at you and giving you lusty looks, go left, young man.

mpournaras
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
greek as in greece dude. lol. i know i want to and i know i will, it was just should the salt water or sweat have any effect on it.

decades
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
why would you want to mutilate yourself like that?

Fearsome Forehand
06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
greek as in greece dude. lol. i know i want to and i know i will, it was just should the salt water or sweat have any effect on it.

Well, officially, there is a whole ritual of cleaning the wound with alcohol (not beer) daily and turning the stud. Sort of a pain. I would think salt water and sweat would not necessarily lead to an infection as salt acts as a disinfectant of sorts but if the water is dirty, you could end up with an infection and the mob nickname Nick One Ear. :)

Maybe you should wait until after your vacation.

ls206
06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
they should tell you how to care for the piercing when you get it done.

but basically - leave it for the first day, then use saline solution/salt water and a cotton bud to clean the wound.
after a week or two you should start to rotate the ring/stud every now and then.
keep cleaning, it should take a month or so to heal so keep it clean until then.
Any problems go back to where it was pierced.

Sterilised needles are the safest way to get your ears pierced - not a gun.

note: take the advice of the person that pierces your ear over the advice above

armsty
06-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Do you mean Greek in the sense of from Greece, or Greek in the sense of don't drop the soap in the shower while standing next to you. :)

I did this years ago. It is sort of a pain to keep turning the stud and all that stuff. I had it for a few weeks, the novelty wore off rather quickly and I let it heal over.

Have it done professionally if you are going to do it so you don't end up with the nick name One Ear.

Consider a clip on instead. :)

And the right ear is the homosexual ear so if you don't want guys who play for the other team making eyes at you and giving you lusty looks, go left, young man.

Wow. This is not needed :p

fantom
06-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Don't forget to install some sweet pearl earrings like Tsonga!

Honestly, if you want to do it, do it. No big deal. If you get tired of them or grow out of them, just don't wear them anymore.

SlapShot
06-29-2010, 06:02 AM
I had 8 gauge rings in both ears in college. I could still probably get a standard stud through them, even though they've been out for 6 years.

If you can, go to a tattoo shop and get it done with a needle rather than the stud - the stud tears the skin and increases the odds of infection. Salt water is actually the best thing for fresh piercings, even though they'll tell you to stay out of the water for something like 14 days.

dParis
06-29-2010, 06:36 AM
If you are doing it because you are insecure .... don't do it. If its for fun, just do it.
I think I'm missing what the "fun" part is supposed to be. What's so fun about getting you ear pierced? The actual piercing? Looking in the mirror at you earring, saying "Wow, I am having some fun!"? Shopping for earrings? This sounds like so much fun I'm going to run out and get my ear pierced yesterday!

Unless it's done for a cultural reason, I don't really see the point - and I know it's not a part of the OP's culture. I figure, on some level, guys get piercings for the same reason some get tattoos - they feel they don't rate either physically, personality wise or both without the accoutrements to make themselves stand out.

ls206
06-29-2010, 07:00 AM
I don't understand this.. if a girl gets her ears pierced then sure... thats perfectly normal, even if they are 12 years old (or younger) but if a guy is to get his ears pierced... woah there! does this guy have some self esteem issues? or does he just want all the attention to himself??

seriously?

I'm going to sound like a d**k saying this.. but I rate myself quite highly on looks and personality but I have my ears pierced, why? not because I would like to be noticed or feel inadequate but because I like how I look with studs/plugs

SlapShot
06-29-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't understand this.. if a girl gets her ears pierced then sure... thats perfectly normal, even if they are 12 years old (or younger) but if a guy is to get his ears pierced... woah there! does this guy have some self esteem issues? or does he just want all the attention to himself??

seriously?

I'm going to sound like a d**k saying this.. but I rate myself quite highly on looks and personality but I have my ears pierced, why? not because I would like to be noticed or feel inadequate but because I like how I look with studs/plugs

+1

I got my ears pierced for cosmetic reasons, which is exactly why a female would get hers done. I don't get the stigma attached to a male getting their ears pierced personally. I don't wear earrings now, as I doubt they would attract the desired response working for a fortune 250 company, but I do miss them from time to time.

skip1969
06-29-2010, 07:32 AM
. . .
Unless it's done for a cultural reason, I don't really see the point - and I know it's not a part of the OP's culture. I figure, on some level, guys get piercings for the same reason some get tattoos - they feel they don't rate either physically, personality wise or both without the accoutrements to make themselves stand out.
i think you're generalizing quite a bit here. the range of guys who have pierced ears is a broad as the range of guys who don't. it's a personal preference, like wearing boxer shorts, getting a suntan. it's about how you want to look.

i pierced my ears early, it went with my style. after a while, i got bored with two grenades hanging from my lobes. i went with simple little silver studs for a few years. then i stopped wearing earrings altogether.

no different than a girl choosing not to wear those expensive heels anymore. boredom, or a change in her personal style.

Power Player
06-29-2010, 07:33 AM
I'd reccomend a small guage over a cheap mall piercing. It is a lot better.

And yeah I can still fit a small stud in mine. My GF will do it now and then to screw around, but I haven't had any in years. You can barely see the holes.

dParis
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't understand this.. if a girl gets her ears pierced then sure... thats perfectly normal, even if they are 12 years old (or younger) but if a guy is to get his ears pierced... woah there!
I got my ears pierced for cosmetic reasons, which is exactly why a female would get hers done. I don't get the stigma attached to a male getting their ears pierced personally.
Throw on some lipstick and nice little skirt while you're at it. ;)
it's a personal preference, like wearing boxer shorts, getting a suntan. it's about how you want to look.Of course it's about how you want to look, but it's nothing like wearing boxer shorts or getting a suntan - unless you're talking strictly about fake bakes.

i pierced my ears early, it went with my style.What style was that?

I have my ears pierced, why? not because I would like to be noticed or feel inadequate but because I like how I look with studs/plugsYou like it better than how you look without them? Why is that?

SlapShot
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Being that I played in a punk/hardcore band in college, somehow I think that the earrings went with the aesthetic of the whole scene.

No reason to try and act above it all - everyone has an image, even those that try to have the appearance of not having an image. Nowadays, being that I earn a living working in a corporate environment, I dress nicely M-F, but I'm still likely to wear my sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt, and wouldn't mind still having my plugs/rings.

dParis
06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Being that I played in a punk/hardcore band in college, somehow I think that the earrings went with the aesthetic of the whole scene.

No reason to try and act above it all - everyone has an image, even those that try to have the appearance of not having an image. Nowadays, being that I earn a living working in a corporate environment, I dress nicely M-F, but I'm still likely to wear my sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt, and wouldn't mind still having my plugs/rings.
Well I'm talking about earrings specifically, not image in general. Everyone grooms their image to one degree or another. Your punk band background explains a lot.

ls206
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Yup - you hit the nail on the head, every male who gets pierced ears wants to be a girl, and every girl who doesn't pierce her ears obviously wants to be a boy....

You like it better than how you look without them? Why is that? I think the comparison to wearing specific clothes/haircut/facial hair is still valid. Is every man with long hair wishing they were female? Just because people don't conform to societies norms or stereotypes it means there's something wrong with them or they are gender confused?

dParis
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Yup - you hit the nail on the head, every male who gets pierced ears wants to be a girl, and every girl who doesn't pierce her ears obviously wants to be a boy....So earrings, OK. Lipstick and mini-skirts is where you draw the line though. Got it.:rolleyes:

I think the comparison to wearing specific clothes/haircut/facial hair is still valid. Is every man with long hair wishing they were female? Just because people don't conform to societies norms or stereotypes it means there's something wrong with them or they are gender confused?
Yes, I'm familiar with the non-conformist's sermon. It's usually delivered from the tailgate of the latest bandwagon they've squeezed into.

I see it's difficult to explain what is fun or what one thinks is attractive about male ear piercings.

SlapShot
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
So earrings, OK. Lipstick and mini-skirts is where you draw the line though. Got it.:rolleyes:

Yes, I'm familiar with the non-conformist's sermon. It's usually delivered from the tailgate of the latest bandwagon they've squeezed into.

I see it's difficult to explain what is fun or what one thinks is attractive about male ear piercings.

It doesn't really matter what YOU find attractive about it. Personally, I think bleached blonde hair looks terrible. If it makes a girl (or guy) happy to have bleached blonde hair, I'm not going to make an issue of it; I don't have to deal with it.

ls206
06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I've already said - I prefer how I look with earrings.

Good day

LuckyR
06-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Can't argue with this.

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
So earrings, OK. Lipstick and mini-skirts is where you draw the line though. Got it.:rolleyes:

What does it matter to you? It's a choice, made by an individual. If someone wants to pierce everything, it's their own choice - good luck to them. I'm not going to project my choices and values and opinions about appearance on to others!

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Really guys??? It's no big deal!

dParis
06-30-2010, 09:04 PM
It doesn't really matter what YOU find attractive about it. Personally, I think bleached blonde hair looks terrible. If it makes a girl (or guy) happy to have bleached blonde hair, I'm not going to make an issue of it; I don't have to deal with it.
You are correct - it doesn't matter what I find attractive about it (nothing)- beyond the influence on the judgment I'll make about the guy. I'm curious what you guys with piercings find attractive about it. I'm more of a form and function guy so I question the superfluous adornment (and a traditionally feminine adornment at that) of pierced earrings for men. I guess it's much easier to get defensive rather than explain the reasoning for piercing your ear with jewellery.
What does it matter to you? It's a choice, made by an individual. If someone wants to pierce everything, it's their own choice - good luck to them. I'm not going to project my choices and values and opinions about appearance on to others!
What the hell are you going on about? What does it matter to you what it matters to me? Do you think I'm trying to force someone to take off their earring? Take a deep breath and try not to project your choices, values and opinions on to others so much.

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Edited: Stupid post.

Fifth Set
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Simple yet important advice.

dParis
06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Delete post: Not worth responding to.

SlapShot
06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
You are correct - it doesn't matter what I find attractive about it (nothing)- beyond the influence on the judgment I'll make about the guy. I'm curious what you guys with piercings find attractive about it. I'm more of a form and function guy so I question the superfluous adornment (and a traditionally feminine adornment at that) of pierced earrings for men. I guess it's much easier to get defensive rather than explain the reasoning for piercing your ear with jewellery.

Traditionally feminine? Maybe, but male ear piercing goes back to the 16th century, so it's nothing new.

My reasoning for getting my ears pierced was simple - at the time, I wanted to have them pierced. I got compliments on my plugs, and I enjoyed the adornment. That's as far as it goes. Not to mention that the endorphin rush that comes with a piercing can be VERY addictive - it's above any rush I've gotten before or after.

It's no different in my eyes than someone choosing to wear a certain brand of clothes because of the image it projects, or choosing a certain haristyle. It's hardly permanent (although my holes are still lightly visible 6 years later), and it's about the safest form of "styling" oneself in terms of reversability.

skip1969
06-30-2010, 11:04 PM

you accuse other posters of being defensive, but it comes after you write a post like this one, where you seem dismissive of the reasons given to you why a guy would get his ears pierced in the first place.

i don't think anyone was trying to give you a sermon about nonconformity. but you seem to be having a hard time understanding the concept of every person having his/her own "look" and that said look is not static, but can change at the person's whim.

Tina
06-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Don't do it. You will regret it.

skip1969
06-30-2010, 11:08 PM
don't be so melodramatic. the guy isn't considering getting a vasectomy.

OrangeOne
06-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Don't do it. You will regret it.

How? Why?

I had my ear pierced in my early 20s, got a funky ear-ring, kept it so for not even a month or two, it's gone now, grown over, end of story. A small mark smaller than the smallest freckle remains.

If I listed the regrets in my life, it wouldn't feature on even the longest list.

Larrysümmers
06-30-2010, 11:12 PM
don't be so melodramatic. the guy isn't considering getting a vasectomy.

^ this
ten char

dParis
07-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Traditionally feminine? Maybe, but male ear piercing goes back to the 16th century, so it's nothing new.Right, it was a passing fad, sort of repeating itself today. I was thinking of keeping the time frame a little more current, say from the advent of indoor plumbing. But if you want to go way, way back - ear piercing and jewellery in general was reserved for royalty - and women. You're not a blue-blood are you?

My reasoning for getting my ears pierced was simple - at the time, I wanted to have them pierced. I got compliments on my plugs, and I enjoyed the adornment. That's as far as it goes.What kind of compliments did you get? Were your plugs of some artful design? I'm sure you enjoyed the compliments but on the extremely rare occasions I hear earring compliments given out, it's quickly passed small-talk between the girls.
Not to mention that the endorphin rush that comes with a piercing can be VERY addictive - it's above any rush I've gotten before or after.Really? This blows my mind a little bit. I bet digging out of a love-40 hole, capped by a couple of big aces would be a bigger rush.

It's no different in my eyes than someone choosing to wear a certain brand of clothes because of the image it projects, or choosing a certain haristyle. It's hardly permanent (although my holes are still lightly visible 6 years later), and it's about the safest form of "styling" oneself in terms of reversability.
But it is different than clothing or hairstyles. Clothing is functional and hair is natural (for most). Projecting an image within those parameters makes perfect sense in a way that going out of your way to put a hole in your ear doesn't. I guess I'm just not into jewellery. Going beyond showing one's style through that which is functional - by putting on these baubles of vanity - cries, "Look at me!".

Don't get the impression I'm getting worked up about the whole issue. I'm just trying to discuss it in some greater detail. It's not a big deal and you're right, it is an easily reversible fashion statement - unlike tattoos. Don't get me started on tatts...
you accuse other posters of being defensive, but it comes after you write a post like this one, where you seem dismissive of the reasons given to you why a guy would get his ears pierced in the first place.
I originally referred to the following post:
I understand the insecurity reason, but I was asking for an explanation of the "fun" reason. The "fun" reason is the one I don't quite understand. The reaction was for some people to get defensive and/or give the simplistic answer "I like how it looks". I already figured they liked how it looked...:?

ChipNCharge
07-01-2010, 01:42 PM
So i want to get my ear pierced...

Real men don't pierce their ears. Objective Danny will back me up on this.

jimmy2times
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
you should do it if you haven't already...
I heard it really helps your footwork!

film1
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I would say do not do it. I did it on spring break years ago.
I then noticed a lot of guys I thought were tools walking around with their ears pierced and decided to take mine out.

I still have a little knot/scar and always will.

ProgressoR
07-27-2010, 11:29 PM
OP

Do NOT do it, under any circumstances.

Or do it if you really want to.

Does anyone really care anymore?

ls206
07-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Does anyone really care anymore?

given that this was a dying thread.. probably not. let it die! lol