PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Posters

Venetian
06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Anyone else on the forum feel like a 3.5 recreational poster? I've been part of the TW forums for 7 or 8 years now, 6+ with my current handle; but I still feel like kind of an outsider. I've only accumulated a little over 1,000 posts, but I usually read through all the latest threads in several subforums on a daily basis. A lot of posters seem to have developed pretty close friendships and/or rivalries over the years, and some have a staggering amount of posts. I see certain people leave the forums every so often, and there are all kinds of threads from people wondering where they went; and then I think...man, I feel like I've been a part of these forums for so long, but I bet no one would notice if I left, or remember anything that I ever wrote.

Btw I haven't been drinking and I'm not depressed. Just something I was thinking about while lurking tonight.

mary fierce
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Calm yourself. An enormous number of posts usually indicates that the poster has no life of any consequence.

Venetian
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
What if I have no life and very few posts?

I do have a really sweet He-Man avatar though. That's gotta count for something.

maverick66
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
99.9% of the posters here could stop and nobody would care. Its the internet so not many care about the others posting. Thats why it gets so nasty most of the time because you cant see the person on the other end.

I wouldnt care about it if I was you. Seriously I have like maybe 3 people on here that I give a crap about and might give a crap about me. You are not really gonna make alot of new friends on a forum.

nfor304
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I remember a few of your posts in the H&F section specifically because of your awesome He-Man avatar.

From what I can tell it takes a whole lot of time and/or dedication to become a 6.0+ poster here.

I mean personally I get into arguments here with people sometimes that carry on for a while, sometimes days, and then I just think what the hell am I doing? Some of the 6.0s seem to do that sort of stuff all the time though....
Then theres guys who dont post that much but write essays almost every post, like some of the guys in the former pro player/tips/rants and raves sections. I just dont have the energy for that kind of posting.

For now im content just being a 3.0 hack

Venetian
06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah, just something I happened to think about and feel like posting. I do have fun watching some of the bickering from the side lines.

Edit: Sweet someone remembers me

woodrow1029
06-28-2010, 07:30 PM
And post count are no indication of 3.5-7.0 levels. Break Point and Fedace are living proof of that.

Venetian
06-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Definitely. Dave Smith is the ultimate GOAT poster in my eyes, and I doubt if he's made 100 posts.

r2473
06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Btw I haven't been drinking and I'm not depressed. Just something I was thinking about while lurking tonight.

Ty Webb: You take drugs, Danny?
Danny Noonan: Every day.
Ty Webb: Good. Then what's your problem?
Danny Noonan: I don't know.

Juges8932
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Calm yourself. An enormous number of posts usually indicates that the poster has no life of any consequence.

Lol, what an idiotic post to make.

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM

hey now, mary :(

skip1969
06-28-2010, 08:12 PM
op, don't sweat it. i think most of the famous posters on this board are more infamous than anything. the outlandish predictions, the desire to nitpick and criticize pros to death, the flame wars . . . it's what gets them noticed. if you are just a regular fan of the game with some perspective about things, you pretty much travel under the radar here. not always the case, but . . .

i float in and out. nowadays i mostly show up for the slams. this place can get so petty and silly. and if it doesn't increase my enjoyment of watching a match, then what's the point really? there are some sane posters (and i'd like to count myself among them) but sometimes they get lost in the sea of nonsense.

take the good and ignore the rest. ;)

Fearsome Forehand
06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Are there professional posters? :)

decades
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
you really just need to develop a hatred for either Nadal, Fed, Sod, or Roddick. You'll start being accepted as one of "us"....

Ross K
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Anyone else on the forum feel like a 3.5 recreational poster? I've been part of the TW forums for 7 or 8 years now, 6+ with my current handle; but I still feel like kind of an outsider. I've only accumulated a little over 1,000 posts, but I usually read through all the latest threads in several subforums on a daily basis. A lot of posters seem to have developed pretty close friendships and/or rivalries over the years, and some have a staggering amount of posts. I see certain people leave the forums every so often, and there are all kinds of threads from people wondering where they went; and then I think...man, I feel like I've been a part of these forums for so long, but I bet no one would notice if I left, or remember anything that I ever wrote.

Ah... do the words 'existential crisis' mean anything to you? :wink: ...

Now then... this remark is very open to question imo:

A lot of posters seem to have developed pretty close friendships

Whereas I agree with the sentiments re ppl not noticing you have left (in red above ^^^)... it's largely the same for all of us really... though meeting in person to play, frequent racket trading, personal emailing, etc, does deepen relationships etc.

However, if you haven't already, I recommend you read Camus, Sartre, etc or get into some philosophy... or seek out Franz Kafka... or James Dean films... or 'arty' European cinema (Antanigoni)... or theatre (Becket, Pinter)... or listen to RHCP or Bob Dylan or the Doors or whoever the heck it is who you identify with!:)

Venetian... you are right really... what's it all about?... meaning?... does anybody care?... is anybody out there?... it's the human predicament.

R.

maverick66
06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
And post count are no indication of 3.5-7.0 levels. Break Point and Fedace are living proof of that.

lies, everyone with a post count higher than you could beat you. To say otherwise is a lie.

Venetian
06-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Whereas I agree with the sentiments re ppl not noticing you have left (in red above ^^^)... it's largely the same for all of us really... though meeting in person to play, frequent racket trading, personal emailing, etc, does deepen relationships etc.

However, if you haven't already, I recommend you read Camus, Sartre, etc or get into some philosophy... or seek out Franz Kafka... or James Dean films... or 'arty' European cinema (Antanigoni)... or theatre (Becket, Pinter)... or listen to RHCP or Bob Dylan or the Doors or whoever the heck it is who you identify with!:)

Venetian... you are right really... what's it all about?... meaning?... does anybody care?... is anybody out there?... it's the human predicament.

R.

Too much for a Monday night man.

kairosntx
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
You ARE a professional poster, it says so right there under your avatar!

I am a recreational poster but I think I have developed a "relationship" with some posters. Not that we're friends like I think others would describe their relationship, but I feel like they know who I am (within the context of the board). I'm sure they wouldn't know if I left, but a few recognize my log in name.

OKUSA
06-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I post on any thread I have interest in, i post on 50-60% of the threads I read

rommil
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM

I go back almost as the same time as you do. I have met some people here and played tennis with them. The rest and the majority here will probably pay me no mind since my posts can often be "sarcastic" and dismissive lol so don't feel bad if you feel like you are an outsider.

ProgressoR
06-28-2010, 10:54 PM

R.

In addition to the above advice, I would suggest imbibing a large amount of alcohol before the above activities. That will likely help your existential search.