PDA

View Full Version : Sad News: Steve Carell leaving the office

Rockitdog
06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Steve Carell says he's resigning from The Office next year... no way the show will be near as funny as it is now. Any ideas on who could possibly even come close to replacing Carell?

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/steve-carell-resigning-from-the-office-next-year/43076?nc

agassi fan
06-28-2010, 10:09 PM
show is going to be a fail with out him i am going to stop watching the office from now on

GetBetterer
06-29-2010, 12:45 AM
First Lost now this... :(

Carell, who won a Golden Globe award for his role, said he wanted to spend more time with his wife and two young children.

That does make it a little more understandable though, and he did honor his contract.

Lejanius
06-29-2010, 05:56 AM
rumor is it will be Ted Danson, seriously

Rockitdog
06-29-2010, 06:24 AM
rumor is it will be Ted Danson, seriously

I hope that is just a seriously misguided rumor.

mikeler
06-29-2010, 06:25 AM
I think the other characters are funnier than Michael. For me, it won't be a huge loss.

Justdoit10
06-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Michael annoys me a lot and he isnt funny either. The whole show sucks now. Steve Carell is a really one dimensional actor, always playing the same roles.

AV1
06-29-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Not because it's a bad show, quite the contrary it's funny as hell.
I'm surprised the cast has stayed intact with 4 or 5 having budding movie careers.

hollywood9826
06-29-2010, 07:06 AM
I watched it occansionally, but Carells charcater to me is involved too much, and probably held some of the other characters from developing to thier full potential.

NBC really has nothing else so it wil try its hardest to keep the show going. I think it has potential to be better without him.

Dgpsx7
06-29-2010, 07:19 AM
I am not an office watcher like most of you guys but if they actually brought Ted Danson on it would probably be a decent replacement. I never knew this till recently but Ted Danson happens to be really funny. His character on "Bored to Death" is by far the funniest. I never thought any of his movies were funny but he might surprise you if he comes on.

hollywood9826
06-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Danson is a very funny guy. They could give him a character that would work on the show, and at the same time allow the others to shine also.

When you look at the great shows evryone has thier different fave, but the office was is so dominated by Carell it may be good for the show he steps down.

Danson is also grwat on Curb.

Rockitdog
06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Danson's glory days are behind him. Cheers was his peak, its been down hill ever since.

FuriousYellow
06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Sad news, but I can't say I'm really surprised. Maybe this is just a preliminary negotiating ploy since Carrell knows the show won't survive too long without him. He's doing pretty well with his movie career. It's all the other actors on the show who should be worried.

Dilettante
06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
I only watched the British version and the guy who played the boss was so overwhelmingly brilliant that I really didn't want to switch to the US version.

Not comparing because I didn't watch a single American episode.

It's just... he was SO good to watch any other playing his role now.

flyinghippos101
06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I only watched the British version and the guy who played the boss was so overwhelmingly brilliant that I really didn't want to switch to the US version.

Ah yes, Ricky Gervais, he was indeed good. I was peeved by Steve Carell's immitation of him in the first season. I hated the show the first season because of this. But Carell has grown on me, he is definitely an important part of the Office ensemble but I honestly believe it can continue and flourish without him

raiden031
06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Danson is also grwat on Curb.

Absolutely. I never cared for Ted Danson until I started seeing him on Curb. He is awesome.

Polaris
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I only know Ted Danson from Cheers. Those were the days!

Defcon
06-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Michael Scott is The Office. The rest of the cast are just supporting actors, without Michael's stupidity, naivety, charm and wit there wouldn't be a show.

beedlejuice22
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
For me, the things that go on between Dwight and Jim have always made The Office. And I think they always will. Michael is replaceable but if Dwight or Jim leaves, they're done.

beedlejuice22
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
NBC really has nothing else so it wil try its hardest to keep the show going. I think it has potential to be better without him.

Have you ever watched 30 Rock right after The Office? It's actually hilarious and I think much funnier than The Office.

hollywood9826
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
I like 30 rock, but the ratings basically show that the office is keeping 30 rock afloat. And that all the execs care about

athiker
06-30-2010, 01:23 PM

You can find British episodes on hulu.com

http://www.hulu.com/the-office-uk

We watched the U.S. office for the first few seasons till it got a bit repetitive so it got dropped off our Tivo list. I actually just caught an episode again for the first time last week and enjoyed it though, guess I'd been away long enough.

mutantducky
06-30-2010, 01:31 PM
another British fan here. Yeah after seeing how they just copied the first season I got completely turned off from watching the American show. Seen parts of some here and there and some have been funny but once you go Brit you ain't coming back.

Chezbeeno
07-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I watched it occansionally, but Carells charcater to me is involved too much, and probably held some of the other characters from developing to thier full potential.

On the contrary NBC has Chuck, which in my opinion is a much better show. This most recent season of The Office I felt was very weak, aside from the Jim/Pam wedding episode, I didn't really like the new season at all. But for serious Chuck is amazing, you should check it out. It's a lot funnier than the Office of today and it only gets better as it develops.

hollywood9826
07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Im just saying ratings based that all the networks caer about. My favorite show off all time was the Wire. And it was barely saved the ax by HBO becuase the rating were not their.

While Chuck is a decent show, and once was a promising hit for NBC along with Heroes. Neither show was able to build off that first season and increase viewership. Whikle Chuck has sort of maintianed mediocrity Heroes took a serious dive. neither show can be paired with a lesser show and keep it going.

The Office is the only thing NBC has that can even come close to doing that.

Not that its ratings are extremly well, but the show generates buzz the rest of thier programming does not.

Cindysphinx
07-01-2010, 08:41 AM
They need to cancel "The Office."

The plots are just really lame now. Enough is enough.

Rockitdog
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
They need to cancel "The Office."

The plots are just really lame now. Enough is enough.

It won't last long without Carrell. Maybe a season at most. Maybe they'll put another crappy Jay Leno show in it's place. NBC is just losing all credibility (not to mention with it's tennis coverage). I think it needs a change at the top levels especially with the way it botched the Conan deal!

Chezbeeno
07-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Im just saying ratings based that all the networks caer about. My favorite show off all time was the Wire. And it was barely saved the ax by HBO becuase the rating were not their.

While Chuck is a decent show, and once was a promising hit for NBC along with Heroes. Neither show was able to build off that first season and increase viewership. Whikle Chuck has sort of maintianed mediocrity Heroes took a serious dive. neither show can be paired with a lesser show and keep it going.

The Office is the only thing NBC has that can even come close to doing that.

Not that its ratings are extremly well, but the show generates buzz the rest of thier programming does not.

Chuck has improved a lot and it's been renewed for a 4th season so they must be doing something right this season.

tennismonkey
07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
who's steve carell? i only recognize ricky gervais.