PDA

View Full Version : So, are you out there ... don't be shy ...

Davis937
06-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Someone once mentioned that there are actually quite a few musically talented posters on TTW ... is there any kind of correlation between one's interest in music ... and ... tennis ... don't be shy ... let us know if you are musically inclined (what instruments you play, your unbiased opinion regarding your talent, whether you play in a band (or previously played), your singing skills/prowess, etc.) ... I'm thinking there are quite a few piano players out there ... this should be interesting **smile** ...

chollyred
06-29-2010, 04:38 AM
I've played drums since I was 7 (52 now) and took up guitar about 10 years ago, and fool around a little with the harmonica. I'm a solid old-school drummer, but haven't played in bands in quite a few years. Even played on a couple of records back in the early 70s. I'm okay as a rhythm guitarist, but not good enough to entertain anyone but myself. I do jam with some professional friends occasionally.

I don't sing. I'd love to be able, but you know you're bad when your grandkids beg you to stop. :oops:

I became interested in tennis in my teens and lived on the courts until my early 20s when my knees and ankles gave way. I thought I'd never be able to play again. A little over a year ago, my 16 year old grandson decided he wanted to learn to play, so I started taking him and his brother to the courts. I fell in love all over again. My mobility sucks, but is better than I thought it would be. I'm surprised how quickly a lot of my game is coming around. I haven't played leagues yet, but would self rate about a 3.0 right now. Our tennis center coordinator has asked me to captain a new ALTA team this fall. Can't wait!

Davis937
06-30-2010, 01:53 AM
I've played drums since I was 7 (52 now) and took up guitar about 10 years ago, and fool around a little with the harmonica. I'm a solid old-school drummer, but haven't played in bands in quite a few years. Even played on a couple of records back in the early 70s. I'm okay as a rhythm guitarist, but not good enough to entertain anyone but myself. I do jam with some professional friends occasionally.

I don't sing. I'd love to be able, but you know you're bad when your grandkids beg you to stop. :oops:

I became interested in tennis in my teens and lived on the courts until my early 20s when my knees and ankles gave way. I thought I'd never be able to play again. A little over a year ago, my 16 year old grandson decided he wanted to learn to play, so I started taking him and his brother to the courts. I fell in love all over again. My mobility sucks, but is better than I thought it would be. I'm surprised how quickly a lot of my game is coming around. I haven't played leagues yet, but would self rate about a 3.0 right now. Our tennis center coordinator has asked me to captain a new ALTA team this fall. Can't wait!

Hey, cholly ... thanks for responding ... I'm happy that you're enjoying both your love of music and your renewed involvement with tennis ... have fun and good hitting to you!

Davis937
06-30-2010, 01:55 AM
so ...no piano players? Again, don't be modest ... feel free to brag and to, excusing the pun, beat your own drum ... I KNOW we have some great musicians (... and singers) on TTW!

NickC
06-30-2010, 05:21 AM
I screw around with Ableton Live from time to time. I'm probably going to get a rackmount synth within a few weeks. Might go for a Moog.

Other than that, I played Saxophone for a few years back in 4th grade.

Dedans Penthouse
06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
There have been a number of these 'musician' threads in the past..

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308385&highlight=musicians

Power Player
06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
There have been a number of these 'musician' threads in the past..

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308385&highlight=musicians

Exactly. I posted in a few and I'm kind of over it.

Dilettante
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I play electric guitar, and once of every 100 times I manage to get on tune so I'm quite happy with it.

Dedans Penthouse
06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
I play electric guitar, and once of every 100 times I manage to get on tune so I'm quite happy with it.
^^^^^^
Haha. Ola 'guitarra' wiz:

on the link below, scroll to "play" button & click....what is the singer saying at the beginning? (sounds like "o que se guitarra!") ...& btw, congrats on your 1-0 win over the Ronaldos. ;-)

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Sue+o/flwVe

Power Player, I recall your posts (good stuff), as well as in another thread in which you assisted a poster with a "home recording" question.

cucio
06-30-2010, 01:37 PM
^^^^^^
on the link below, scroll to "play" button & click....what is the singer saying at the beginning? (sounds like "o que se guitarra!")

He probably thinks he is saying "toque esa guitarra" (play that guitar), but his accent and grammar are pretty off.

FlamEnemY
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
I sing in a quire and play guitar. Attended jazz-guitar lessons for a year or so, but then I had to choose an University, pass several exams and eventually leave my home :) So I never really got "into" jazz, although I gained some interesting musical tastes thanks to my teacher. He helped me create my own choruses and melodies... Gave me some good insights into musical theory. Still, I have a lot (lot lot lot) to learn. Nice times.
My singing is ok. I'm a pure bass 2, albeit an underdeveloped one (I'm 20, so I have another good 8-10 years until my voice fully develops), so you can guess that my voice is not the pop rock type ;)

dave333
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I've done violin for 10 years, tennis for 5 or so. I made All State for two years for violin, and made it senior for tennis in doubles, although I admit I did it by doing well in a weak division, made weaker by the fact that it was doubles.

Here's a sample of me and a friend. It isn't that great since we procrastinated prepping, but I think it was cool since we arranged it ourselves and it's popular music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu48RDT-nq8

Davis937
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I've done violin for 10 years, tennis for 5 or so. I made All State for two years for violin, and made it senior for tennis in doubles, although I admit I did it by doing well in a weak division, made weaker by the fact that it was doubles.

Here's a sample of me and a friend. It isn't that great since we procrastinated prepping, but I think it was cool since we arranged it ourselves and it's popular music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu48RDT-nq8

Hey, Dave ... thanks for sharing, man!

raiden031
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Just like everything I do in life, I'm a fast learner and quickly end up at a 3.5-4.0 level (in tennis terms), but then plateau. I used to play electric guitar and while I could play alot of different stuff, I never really developed the speed needed for lead guitar. This frustrated me and I eventually lost interest. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

tenniskid567
06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I played piano til I was about 6th grade (my mom teaches, but in 5th grade I had an incident involving a lawnmower and now...I have a nub for a middle finger and a ring finger thats pretty screwed up) so I stopped and played trombone from 7th-12th grade in one of the top high school bands/jazz band. My teacher always told me if I had taken lessons I would have college paid for...I believe him, however its not the route I decided to take. I was a pretty decent lead player, but not a great soloist by any means. This last year I took saxaphone lessons for a full semester in college, because thats what I always really wanted to play. I liked it a lot and think I could have been pretty good at it, but oh well. I was in a singing/dancing group for 8 years, and my voice is coming along alright, although I know I probably don't use "proper" technique and my range isn't all too great....I still play the piano a little, I can read notes fine, but i'm not a great sight reader so it takes forever to learn and memorize a song, but I love playing.

So really what I'm getting at is that I really like music and its been a huge part of my life, but I'm pretty average at it, nothing special, just really involved I guess you could say haha.

Davis937
07-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I played piano til I was about 6th grade (my mom teaches, but in 5th grade I had an incident involving a lawnmower and now...I have a nub for a middle finger and a ring finger thats pretty screwed up) so I stopped and played trombone from 7th-12th grade in one of the top high school bands/jazz band. My teacher always told me if I had taken lessons I would have college paid for...I believe him, however its not the route I decided to take. I was a pretty decent lead player, but not a great soloist by any means. This last year I took saxaphone lessons for a full semester in college, because thats what I always really wanted to play. I liked it a lot and think I could have been pretty good at it, but oh well. I was in a singing/dancing group for 8 years, and my voice is coming along alright, although I know I probably don't use "proper" technique and my range isn't all too great....I still play the piano a little, I can read notes fine, but i'm not a great sight reader so it takes forever to learn and memorize a song, but I love playing.

So really what I'm getting at is that I really like music and its been a huge part of my life, but I'm pretty average at it, nothing special, just really involved I guess you could say haha.

Hey, TK ... if music is an enjoyable and important part of your life and brings you some joy ... go with it ... in the long run, it matters little how "good" you are at it ... thanks for sharing!

Dilettante
07-01-2010, 10:06 AM
^^^^^^
Haha. Ola 'guitarra' wiz:

on the link below, scroll to "play" button & click....what is the singer saying at the beginning? (sounds like "o que se guitarra!") ...& btw, congrats on your 1-0 win over the Ronaldos. ;-)

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Sue+o/flwVe

Hola! Cucio told you right about "toque/toca esa guitarra".

Hey, TK ... if music is an enjoyable and important part of your life and brings you some joy ... go with it ... in the long run, it matters little how "good" you are at it ... thanks for sharing!

True, it makes you happy anyway. Don't know about the neighbours though.

BTW, some incredibily crappy home recordings made by me with my guitar and bass and keyboard stuff:

http://goear.com/listen/5729921/when-i-was-a-kid-ej

http://goear.com/listen/2242b6f/ramonet-ej

http://goear.com/listen/4d4e6cb/get-in-the-van-ej

FlamEnemY
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
^^ Are you crazy? You call this crappy? :shock:

It's cool, man. :)

albino smurf
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=127390

Little after work keys here.