PDA

View Full Version : Iniesta is the Federer of Football

slicefox
06-29-2010, 05:01 PM
The guy is a joy to watch. Very talented, non-athletic looking, creative, magician on the court. His passes are amazing, his anticipation and movement is unbelievable. He is to soccer what Federer is to tennis.

Anyone notice this?

OKUSA
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Xavi is better, if it wasn't for him and his backheel Villa would've never scored

Although Iniesta has been out a lot this season and he was a beast last season

Feņa14
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I've always been a bigger fan of Iniesta than Xavi, personally.

They are both very similar players but the Iniesta has more pace and can play in more positions.

You can understand why Xavi gets the praise he does, but as I say, Iniesta pips him imo.

Dilettante
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
When Xavi's on, he's a team making player like no other in the actual football, inside or outside Spain. If he is 100%, his team works as a machine. He has one of the most fast minds and one of the greater passing skills, if not the fastest and the best. But.. that's when he's on and he is not being 100% at the WC. But for example the success of Barcelona is more Xavi's success than Messi's success. Of course Messi is an overgifted player, but he's not a team making player of such caliber.

For a metaphore: If we divide Maradona in two, we get the flashy part, Messi, and we get the brainy teammaking part, Xavi. (Not to say Maradona was best than both combined, but that's another story)

Iniesta, on the other hand, is more of a match-breaking player. He also can construct game but Xavi usually does better (not in this WC yet). But Iniesta can desestabilize any rival defense in any given moment in a way very few players can, not even Xavi. Iniesta has also attacking and dribbling skills far beyond Xavi's. I think he has been severely underrated and overlooked. He's certainly over C.Ronaldo except for the stupid looks-based marketing.

Lately he's getting the credit he deserves, but I was really sick of Ronaldo or Torres' hype when Iniesta has been playing A+ class football for a long time now.

hollywood9826
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Look all us people here know that David Beckham is the greatest of all time, Pele is a close second. And of course Landon Donovan is 3rd and currently best in the game.

Thats the answer most people would give where Im from. Then they waytch world cup and say

"Who's that guy? He looks better than everyone on TV by a large margain"

"That's Messi who many consider the greatest in the game"

"He's better than Beckham was?"

"Did you hear Michael Jackson died? Some say it was because that guy that sang for Wham broke up with him"

"Don't make fun of the King of Pop"

And people wonder why USA isnt regarded very highly in the international arena. Im pretty sure its because guys like me :)

Breaker
06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
He's certainly over C.Ronaldo except for the stupid looks-based marketing.

Iniesta is good and Ronaldo is a dirty diver and bad personality but he's easily one of the two best attacking players in the world right now almost without dispute.

decades
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I am really liking Brazil to take the cup....

Feņa14
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Iniesta is good and Ronaldo is a dirty diver and bad personality but he's easily one of the two best attacking players in the world right now almost without dispute.

Ronaldo second behind Drogba? I'd go along with that ;)

Breaker
06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Ronaldo second behind Drogba? I'd go along with that ;)

No, Carlitos Tevez :). And third behind Robinho on a good day!

slicefox
06-29-2010, 06:29 PM

I'd take Villa over Ronaldo any day. Villa is the most consistent striker, his ability cannot be looked over.

Torres is over-hyped, especially now after surgery.

Xavi didn't impress me in this WC, he used to be better but Villa and Iniesta are the 2 best players Spain has ATM. Goal-keeper takes prize for 3rd best on the team.

Iniesta is somewhat like Messi in that he can get through huge blocks safely, although Iniesta does it more fluidly, while Messi is more of a spazy-jerky-trippy kind of guy.

Dilettante
06-29-2010, 06:33 PM

But wait, Iniesta is not an attacking player, he's a creative midfielder. For me Iniesta is over Ronaldo as an overall player, not as an attacker.

It's like saying Messi is for me the best player in the world, that doesn't mean I consider him the best in ALL areas, just the best overall.

Xavi didn't impress me in this WC

Me neither and that worries me, because Spanish team is suffering a lot of it. Believe me: Xavi is the key player in this team, even more than Villa or Iniesta. Hope he shows up next match.

slicefox
06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
So far Iniesta and Villa have been holding up the fort in this WC. With a few passes from xabi and a few others.

They were the main ones.

OKUSA
06-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Hopefully Spain sits Torres, he's never really been that good for Spain in reality. Villa has always been the guy that stepped up in all tournaments (Euro 2008 he was amazing) and also where Torres didn't even score until the finals when Villa was injured

Ross K
06-29-2010, 10:32 PM
They are both just such AWESOME players!...

Xavi plays like he is on a silk pitch... continual motion... the least amount of touches as possible... zen-like awareness... exquisite touch...

Iniesta is slightly more attacking and takes opponents on a bit more (as Dilletante says above)... a few years I was just SO impressed by him and saw him as criminally neglected in terms of recognition of his abilities and the hyping of the Ronaldho's and Kaka's etc...

Have to say though, Xavi is right up there with him now though imo, if not slightly above him...

Not that that's important... together they just combine so beautifully... one of the highlight's of the world cup I'd say is watching their intricate passing, the way they move, the way they move their opposite numbers around, the speed and rythym and 'flow' that they orchestrate... it can be relentless in its brilliance.

Oh yes... and Villa isn't bad either - LOL!

Feņa14
06-29-2010, 11:20 PM
.... Oh yes... and Villa isn't bad either - LOL!

Amazing, isn't he?

Guillem Balague was on Sky Sports News this morning saying that, in his opinion, Villa is possibly the best Spanish player for 30 years.

High praise, indeed!

slicefox
06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't say "player" as much as striker. The way he finds space to put in goals is just amazing. And most times his goals go high up into the back of the net, often hitting a post on the way.

He also gets a lot of posts which aren't goals, which means his accuracy is amazing. He doesn't spray the ball, shoots on goal within inches of making it (when he does miss).

IMO xavi played much better in euro 08 than he is playing now.

And yeah, they should sit Torres for the next match, they subbed him in today and the other guy almost scored with that header.

Defcon
06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I'd take many many other players before Ronaldo. All he does is wait around in the final 3rd to do some pointless fancy stepovers before giving the ball away. No contribution to defense, midfield passing or assisting, a very selfish and attention hogging media wh0re, always posing for cameras which he knows are on him.

It was a joy watching him dive repeatedly today and then just sit there with a stupid look on his face as the ref waved play on.

bezs
06-30-2010, 01:10 AM
He's good but i prefer Xavi he can really pass the ball like threading it through the eye of a needle. The pinpoint passes he made in the match against Real at the Bernabeu were exquisite.

NickC
06-30-2010, 05:19 AM
Xavi is the reason Messi, Iniesta and the rest of Barcelona get the accolades they do. He's the Spanish Zidane in terms of midfield play - his technique is out-of-this-world and he is THE best pure playmaker in football today, period.

Dilettante
06-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Xavi is the reason Messi, Iniesta and the rest of Barcelona get the accolades they do. He's the Spanish Zidane in terms of midfield play - his technique is out-of-this-world and he is THE best pure playmaker in football today, period.

Absolutely.

Hopefully Spain sits Torres, he's never really been that good for Spain in reality. Villa has always been the guy that stepped up in all tournaments (Euro 2008 he was amazing) and also where Torres didn't even score until the finals when Villa was injured

Llorente would be the option because he was the change factor in the last match, but Pedro would be fine too, or a winger. Anyone but Torres. He does nothing if he doesn't score. Villa could not score and even so he'd be worthy because the work he does. What kind of work does Torres do? Nothing.

samprasvsfederer123
06-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Look all us people here know that David Beckham is the greatest of all time, Pele is a close second. And of course Landon Donovan is 3rd and currently best in the game.

Thats the answer most people would give where Im from. Then they waytch world cup and say

"Who's that guy? He looks better than everyone on TV by a large margain"

"That's Messi who many consider the greatest in the game"

"He's better than Beckham was?"

"Did you hear Michael Jackson died? Some say it was because that guy that sang for Wham broke up with him"

"Don't make fun of the King of Pop"

And people wonder why USA isnt regarded very highly in the international arena. Im pretty sure its because guys like me :)

so you live with stupid people, why would you even post a silly post, zidane is best of all time case closed.

Dilettante
06-30-2010, 09:46 AM
so you live with stupid people, why would you even post a silly post, zidane is best of all time case closed.

"Zidane does some extraordinary things, it's true. But what Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange"

Michel Platini.

(Fixed for you)

Mansewerz
06-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I like Villa more because in Fifa when I would use Spain, Villa would make things happen and Torres couldn't do ****!

Dilettante
06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
I like Villa more because in Fifa when I would use Spain, Villa would make things happen and Torres couldn't do ****!

Just like real football... that's a well programmed software!

Mansewerz
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
"Zidane does some extraordinary things, it's true. But what Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange"

Michel Platini.

(Fixed for you)

Is that good or bad? (For Zidane) Sorry for the lack of soccer intellect.

Dilettante
06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Is that good or bad? (For Zidane) Sorry for the lack of soccer intellect.

Bad. An orange is way harder to handle, so Platini is saying that no matter how good Zidane was (and he was), Maradona's skills still were much superior (something Zidane himself says, Maradona was his idol).

I really think Maradona is the greatest ever and didn't watch a player who could made it even a contest ever since.

Watch this, it gets funny at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Qgh-hjcDw

PS: I like Zidane very much though. It's just there's no comparison. No zidane, no Messi, nobody.

samprasvsfederer123
06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Bad. An orange is way harder to handle, so Platini is saying that no matter how good Zidane was (and he was), Maradona's skills still were much superior (something Zidane himself says, Maradona was his idol).

I really think Maradona is the greatest ever and didn't watch a player who could made it even a contest ever since.

PS: I like Zidane very much though. It's just there's no comparison. No zidane, no Messi, nobody.

well you are a hardcore maradona fan, but everyone has an opinion, most people though in online polls containing pele, maradona, and zidane, say zidane is the best, even the pros, and even the achievements back up zidane, but maradona is good , hope he does the same thing beckenbauer did.

samprasvsfederer123
06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
let me just ask something now for me an most of this world zidane is number 1 but that aside, i want to talk about who the number 1 in the world currently is, because i was discussing with several people and they all say messi will never be able to go into the greatest of all time list, because he isnt good enough to make the difference with his team in the world cups, like zidane and maradona did, how do you think messi will be regarded if argentina wins?

also kaka, and ronaldo which will never win a world cup..

OKUSA
06-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Zidane played in an era with a lot more tactics and defense schemes. It's too hard to compare eras

Benhur
06-30-2010, 03:06 PM

I heard a similar story about Maradona told by Luis Enrique, but instead of involving hitting the crossbar, it involved kicking the ball straight up, pretty high, and trying to make the trajectory as straight as possible so it would land at or very close to the spot from which you hit it. He said he was in total awe at how Maradona could do this and have the ball land right in front of his feet.

EP1998
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Maradona is the best ever and proves the point that if you're really special, you have to be a little bit crazy.

cucio
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
let me just ask something now for me an most of this world zidane is number 1 but that aside

Let me tell you that you are the first person I hear thinks that. We must live in different worlds which, in a way, is pretty possible.

Did you take into account the age group and nationality of people that answer the polls on which you are basing your rather cavalier affirmation? The world is a big place.

Not that Zidane was not awesome, possibly the greatest of his time, but you could place 10 mannequins around Maradona (ahem, Napoli, ahem) and you still would have a world class team.

Dilettante
06-30-2010, 06:24 PM
well you are a hardcore maradona fan, but everyone has an opinion, most people though in online polls containing pele, maradona, and zidane, say zidane is the best, even the pros, and even the achievements back up zidane, but maradona is good , hope he does the same thing beckenbauer did.

I'll be honest: I don't care about online polls. And I doubt that that more of 5% of pros would say Zidane was better than Maradona.

Of course I am a hardcore Maradona fan, but saying he's the best ever is just stating the obvious. Any true football fan know this. The only contender could be Pele, and I explained in another thread why I consider Maradona greater than Pele.

But believe me: Zidane himself would laugh or shake his head if you tell him he's better than Maradona. That's a complete nonsense. No one after Maradona has been better than Maradona. You name it: not even close. That's an ABC of football.

Those who consider Zidane, Messi or whoever as equals or better than Maradona must be younger people that didn't watch enough old football. It's just ilogical. I can't really tell you how untrue is it. I've watched lots of Maradona matches. Lots. I've never seen anything like that ever after. He was on another level, period.

Cucio resumed it perfectly:

you could place 10 mannequins around Maradona (ahem, Napoli, ahem) and you still would have a world class team.

That's it.

Zidane played in an era with a lot more tactics and defense schemes. It's too hard to compare eras

It's hard to compare Pele and Maradona eras but not so hard Zidane and Maradona eras.

You have to think how harsh were defenders in Maradona's time. In Zidane's days or today, a team would finish with four or five players, the rest with a red card, if they defended like they did with Diego.

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe your eyes. Watch this video of 1986 World Cup and get stunned by the defenses Maradona suffered. Notice that not the referee, nor even Maradona looks surprised or specially shoked: that was the usual defense against him. Watch it and tell me if you see something like that in today's WC. Did you ever see Zidane, Messi suffering this kind of stuff again and again, so many times in a single match? It would be ridiculous today. People would be raging about that, but in Maradona times it was normal.

See it for yourself and tell me Zidane would have done better against these kind of defenders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-ONQz6nuo

I heard a similar story about Maradona told by Luis Enrique, but instead of involving hitting the crossbar, it involved kicking the ball straight up, pretty high, and trying to make the trajectory as straight as possible so it would land at or very close to the spot from which you hit it. He said he was in total awe at how Maradona could do this and have the ball land right in front of his feet.

See minute 4:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlv2p5ap5-k

He doesn't even prepare the shots. He was gifted beyond comprehension. I'm amazed some people can't see this.

FloridaAG
07-01-2010, 06:50 AM
I am not comparing players, but I love watching Iniesta play - always have. One of my favorites -

His small stature does seem to lead to injuries though

EP1998
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I am not comparing players, but I love watching Iniesta play - always have. One of my favorites -

yes I agree. barcelona is not as good when he is off the pitch, for example champions league this year. they have such a great team overall though, amazing.

Feņa14
07-01-2010, 03:53 PM

He does seem to pick up injuries, yeah. I wonder if Barcelona end up getting Fabregas, maybe Iniesta will move up to the left of a front 3 of Messi and Villa.