PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to transfer colleges?

T1000
06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey guys,

How hard is it to transfer schools? I was thinking about trying for UPENN or Brown again after this year (my freshmen year). I haven't completely decided I'm going to do this because if I really like my school I'm going to stay obviously. I really wanted to go to Brown or UPENN and unfortunately didn't get in (waitlist at Penn, rejected from Brown). It's just a thought right now since those were my dream schools. Is is really difficult and do I basically need straight A's next year to have a shot? Thanks guys

dave333
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah. It's usually really hard to transfer since there are always so few spots, but if you have a 4.0 it gives you a chance.

meowmix
06-30-2010, 06:03 PM
As dave333 said, it's pretty darn hard to transfer. However, it is a lot easier if you're transferring from roughly equal schools, and if your GPA is very high. For example, dave333 could transfer from (I think) Middlebury to... say, Pomona with more relative ease than a kid from Penn State. I would have a better shot at transfering from Dartmouth to Harvard than would a kid from, again, Penn State.

FedererUberAlles
06-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Transfer rates for those schools are less than 10% at least, usually 5%. Google it, and you'll get confirmation. Where you are now matters, though.

Claudius
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
It's nearly impossible at top notch schools such as the ones you've named. Where are you currently, and what's your prospective major?

T1000
06-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm going to Saint Joes in philly next year on a full ride for academics and playing DI tennis there. I'm majoring in Finance and if I went to Brown, which is my first choice, I would do economics. I also think I'll have a good shot at playing tennis at an Ivy my sophomore year since I've been improving a lot at a rapid pace and have been having a lot of good matches with three stars who are my age or a year younger. I was deciding between Bentley Nova and St. Joes and I picked St. Joes since it was the cheapest option and times are tough now.

rommil
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey T get done with school already so you can help me doing my finance lol.......hey did you sign up for Yale? Let me know when you are playing.....or I can check the draws later when it's up.

T1000
07-01-2010, 01:58 PM
^^ Haha you gotta wait 4 more years, or maybe more if I go to grad school.

And yea I'm playing Mens Open singles, was gonna play dubs but don't have a partner.

rommil
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
^^ Haha you gotta wait 4 more years, or maybe more if I go to grad school.

And yea I'm playing Mens Open singles, was gonna play dubs but don't have a partner.

Lol....... Let me know when you play if I'm there I'll give you coaching like uncle Toni .

coyfish
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I transfered from one state school to another. Both were relatively equal in rank. I switched schools my junior year.

I am also pretty sure you need to have a certain amount of hours to even be eligible for transfer. I think you need at least 2 years of college. No way you can transfer to a better school after taking easy gen eds . . . Transfers are not really set up to allow "upgrades."

People overemphasize the importance of undergrad schools.

You can do anything you want from basically any school in the US. Just work hard. If you plan on going to grad school than undergrad really doesn't matter much at all. Of course the guys shelling out the $$ for Yale will not admit that :). Basic stuff like bio II is going to be similar whether you take it at UT or Yale. If you have the cash by all means but don't beat yourself up for not getting into your top choice. Life goes on and you have all the opportunities in the world right now

ZoomUltraflight
07-02-2010, 05:37 PM
you prob won't be able to transfer into those schools because they have small transfer classes. My friend is transferring this year to cornell from a SUNY state university he attended for 2yrs. He only had a 3.8 (smart guy, but just saying that he didn't have a 4.0) but got into places like Duke, Rice, Cornell, Wesleyan. Couldn't get into places like UPenn, Brown, Williams where transfer classes are really small and hard to get into.

shwetty[tennis]balls
07-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey guys,

How hard is it to transfer schools? I was thinking about trying for UPENN or Brown again after this year (my freshmen year). I haven't completely decided I'm going to do this because if I really like my school I'm going to stay obviously. I really wanted to go to Brown or UPENN and unfortunately didn't get in (waitlist at Penn, rejected from Brown). It's just a thought right now since those were my dream schools. Is is really difficult and do I basically need straight A's next year to have a shot? Thanks guys
Just a suggestion (I don't mean to be pedantic but since you're asking...):

Have someone proofread anything you submit in writing to, say UPenn or Brown, because based on your extremely short writing sample your grammar is disgusting (which is probably why Brown rejected you, I would have). Just sayin'... Furthermore, never mind, just stick with what I wrote for starters. And, yes, unless you are a very gifted athlete or academic, I wouldn't hold my breath for an Ivy League school transfer.

coyfish
07-03-2010, 07:38 AM
balls;4832476']Just a suggestion (I don't mean to be pedantic but since you're asking...):

Have someone proofread anything you submit in writing to, say UPenn or Brown, because based on your extremely short writing sample your grammar is disgusting (which is probably why Brown rejected you, I would have). Just sayin'... Furthermore, never mind, just stick with what I wrote for starters. And, yes, unless you are a very gifted athlete or academic, I wouldn't hold my breath for an Ivy League school transfer.

haha that has to be the funniest thing i have seen in a while. I hope your joking. I didn't capitalize that first H but i'm already in medical school so I think i'm safe . . .

bluedevilinnj
07-03-2010, 07:44 AM
From St. Joes you probably don't stand a chance... Now if you had gone to Nova it might be a different story...