PDA

View Full Version : A serious thought (for a change) ...

Davis937
06-30-2010, 02:04 AM
OK ... let me start off by saying that I've been around the drinking "environment" for many, many years ... like most of you ... alcohol was readily available in high school, college (frat house), the military, and all of the adult sports teams I've played with (*smile* , yes, even ... or should I say especially ... on the tennis courts) ... most of my friends and family can handle drinking ... but ... there are some who cannot ... there is alcoholism in our family, and most of you have experienced/seen (either first hand or through friends/family) the destructive results of excessive drinking ... I know that they currently prohibit advertising for smoking on TV and radio ... there are those who would argue that commercials/advertising tend to glamorize and almost glorify drinking (you know ... the old "it's cool to drink" or "you're not cool if you don't drink") ... teenagers and young adults seem especially susceptible to these commercials (and the subliminal or hidden messages in these commercials) ... my question: do you think that advertising for alcohol/beer/wine should be prohibited on TV/radio/other media? As usual, I thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments!

chollyred
06-30-2010, 04:52 AM
As someone that comes from a long line of alcoholics on both sides of the family, I've seen more destructive behavior than anyone should ever see. I swore to myself many years ago that I'd never be one of those people. I'm not opposed to an occasional drink, and will have one every once in awhile. The last drink I had was Christmas Eve at my dad's house.

As such, in answer to your question, I do believe those ads should be prohibited on television (not necessarily on radio) as I think the ads do promote the "cool" or "relaxed" atmosphere of drinking. Take the Captain Morgan, Corona Light, or Dos Equis commercials for example.

The Captain Morgan ads make the drinker appear to be a smooth hero type, saving the day by providing for the helpless lady in distress. The Corona Light commercials always show a couple kicked back on a secluded beach somewhere, and the Dos Equis commercials tout "The Most Interesting Man In the World".

They never show the guys falling down drunk, heaving their guts out, peeing themselves, or thinking they can fight like Rocky Balboa. The only ads I've seen that try to discourage drinking are the "Drink and Drive and You will be caught" ads. But even those ads are misleading since they show vehicles filled up to the windows with alcohol, making it appear that you;d have to drink massive amounts to drive as badly as the guys in the ads.

hollywood9826
06-30-2010, 04:58 AM
I think it should get the same treatment as tobacco. Alchohol puts more people in danger IMO than smoking does.

But if he were punch you in the face you would like thanking him.

Stay thirsty my friends.

-TMIMITW

LuckyR
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Interesting topic. There is a difference between tobacco and alcohol. This difference if that there is no safe/beneficial dosage of tobacco. There are minimally negative levels, but no safe levels. Alcohol actually has beneficial levels of consumption, though there are harmful levels too, as you describe.

Personally it would be the unusual person IMO who will decide to change from a nonconsumer of alcohol to a consumer based on advertising. My guess is they are after changing the brand, type and volume of drinkers not getting more drinkers.

ProgressoR
06-30-2010, 11:12 AM
as an aside, i dont think smokers go out and commit crimes as a result. Interesting articles here:I dont vouch for their accuracy that is just from googling quickly.

Alcohol a Factor in 40 Percent of Violent Crimes
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/costs/a/aa980415.htm

One in three violent crimes including murder, assault, and sexual assault are committed under the influence of alcohol
http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/korea-beat/-p=10847

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4759267_alcohol-related-crimes.html
Four in ten murders are committed by people who were under the influence of alcohol when they committed the crime.
Sex Crimes
About 50% of all sex crimes involving juveniles are committed when the perpetrator was drinking.
Almost half of all rapes committed happened when the rapist was under the influence of alcohol.
Violent Crime
Alcohol causes more violent crimes than any other drug, and over 20% of convicted felons commit crimes while drinking.
Drunk Driving Fatalities
It is estimated that auto accidents caused by drunk driving kill around 13,000 people annually. On average, an American is injured every minute in an alcohol-related auto accident.
Convicted Criminals
Six out of ten inmates state they drank daily before committing their crimes and two in three had received prior help through an alcohol treatment program

ProgressoR
06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
^^^^ and that doesnt even cover personal damage done by over consumption of alcohol to families, relationships etc

AM28143
06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
All in all, I think drinking alcohol is a bad thing. Yes, in moderation alcohol can be beneficial but no one I know only drinks a few glasses and then stops. At college and home, everyone drinks to get drunk or at least to get a “buzz.”

Alcohol impairs one’s moral judgment, causing one to do nasty things (as the statistics above demonstrate). So many relationships and so many friendships are destroyed because of something stupid someone did when drunk. Many friends of mine, whom I typically find to be moral men and women, have done terrible things, for which I can never forgive them, when drunk.

Worst of all, alcohol is a distraction. Instead of protesting, attending lectures and doing their part to improve the world surrounding them, college students today prefer to go to frat houses, drink beer and chill with the “bros.” Alcohol, in other words, promotes a lazy, rather selfish and unintellectual lifestyle, rendering the phrase “college education” almost oxymoronic.

- Adam :)

albino smurf
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Not sure how I feel about it, but I do know that when I quit smoking it made it a lot harder to see ads for smokes everywhere I went.

Puma
06-30-2010, 01:21 PM
All in all, I think drinking alcohol is a bad thing. Yes, in moderation alcohol can be beneficial but no one I know only drinks a few glasses and then stops. At college and home, everyone drinks to get drunk or at least to get a “buzz.”

Alcohol impairs one’s moral judgment, causing one to do nasty things (as the statistics above demonstrate). So many relationships and so many friendships are destroyed because of something stupid someone did when drunk. Many friends of mine, whom I typically find to be moral men and women, have done terrible things, for which I can never forgive them, when drunk.

Worst of all, alcohol is a distraction. Instead of protesting, attending lectures and doing their part to improve the world surrounding them, college students today prefer to go to frat houses, drink beer and chill with the “bros.” Alcohol, in other words, promotes a lazy, rather selfish and unintellectual lifestyle, rendering the phrase “college education” almost oxymoronic.

As someone who drank for years and years to finally quit a couple of year ago, I agree with everything you said except foor the part about the "benificial" part. I know of no level of alcohol that is benficial. Yes, there are levels that aren't necessarily "bad" for you, but we all can do without it.

As someone who quit, my perspective on this is completely different than it was, say 5 years ago....

TheJRK
06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I heard on the radio that texting while you drive, slows your reaction time equivalent to having a BAC of .83 (or something like that). That's crazy as hell. That's also why I don't talk or text on my phone while I'm driving and it ****es me off to no end to see other people do it.

But back on topic... if TV got rid of alcohol ads I wouldn't care. I know there is a company called Ketel One and I know I like their vodka. Come to think of it, all my knowledge of alcohol comes from other people (friends, coworkers, bartenders) and not from commercials. Meaning, I don't know if advertisments cause an increase in drinking or not. There are no more commercials for smoking but people still do it.

r2473
06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
1. Know Thyself

2. Nothing to Excess

r2473
06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I heard on the radio that texting while you drive, slows your reaction time equivalent to having a BAC of .83 (or something like that). That's crazy as hell. That's also why I don't talk or text on my phone while I'm driving and it ****es me off to no end to see other people do it.

I heard that if you text, talk on the phone, read a book, and eat lunch at the same time while driving, each has a counteractive effect on the other such that you are actually a better driver.

jamesblakefan#1
06-30-2010, 01:48 PM
my question: do you think that advertising for alcohol/beer/wine should be prohibited on TV/radio/other media? As usual, I thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments!

This is an interesting topic to address, with many avenues to the discussion. It is not black and white.

Question: Should advertising be lesser for alcohol?

My response: Yes, it should. The way alcohol is advertised, particularly during sporting events shown on TV, is over the top. I do not think it should be eliminated totally, but should it be cut back, possibly only shown at certain hours? Yes.

Question: Will this actually lead to less teenage drinking?

My Response: No it will not IMO. To me drinking has (fortunately or unfortunately) become embedded in teenage society as sort of a rite of passage from adolescence to adulthood. The sentiments expressed earlier about alcohol being a distraction - it's a bit overstated in the way AM put it, but not far from the truth unfortunately. I know a lot of people that couldn't handle being on their own and being in that environment, and dropped out of school because of it.

The point is, teenage drinking is hard to stop. How are you going to stop it? The repercussions for being caught underage drinking from a legal standpoint are relatively minor, and most kids see the reward of drinking and having a good time higher than the risk of getting caught and getting in trouble. The real way to cut down on teen drinking would be to increase the severity of punishment for being caught, not to get rid of advertising and such. The reason teens drink is the same reason they use marijuana and other drugs - they want to fit in and have a good time. If you were to increase the risk, then I think you would see a decrease in teen drinking. That's my 2c.

AM28143
06-30-2010, 02:16 PM
As someone who drank for years and years to finally quit a couple of year ago, I agree with everything you said except foor the part about the "benificial" part. I know of no level of alcohol that is benficial. Yes, there are levels that aren't necessarily "bad" for you, but we all can do without it.

As someone who quit, my perspective on this is completely different than it was, say 5 years ago....

I was referring to studies that have shown that alcohol in moderation, particularly red wine in moderation, reduces the risk of heart disease. Perhaps, however, this is a myth. Those studies have always seemed suspect to me. I've never heard anyone convincingly explain the science behind them.

Anyway, the best approach probably is abstinence.

LuckyR
06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Well I don't know about those statistics. Way more violent crimes are committed when sober than on alcohol. Perhaps alcohol has a protective effect towards violent crime...

Plus alcohol likely increases the chance of pregnancy which is critical for our species continuing successfully on Earth.

Rippy
06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Well I don't know about those statistics. Way more violent crimes are committed when sober than on alcohol. Perhaps alcohol has a protective effect towards violent crime...

Plus alcohol likely increases the chance of pregnancy which is critical for our species continuing successfully on Earth.

I don't really think increasing the birth rate will help our species survive successfully longterm. Reducing it would probably be better now.

LuckyR
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't really think increasing the birth rate will help our species survive successfully longterm. Reducing it would probably be better now.

Sorry, I forgot this --> :)

r2473
06-30-2010, 02:49 PM
alcohol likely increases the chance of pregnancy

Does it really? I'll have to let our infertility clinic know this :)

Maybe all procedures should be done while the patients are drunk.

Dedans Penthouse
06-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I was referring to studies that have shown that alcohol in moderation, particularly red wine in moderation, reduces the risk of heart disease. Perhaps, however, this is a myth. Those studies have always seemed suspect to me. I've never heard anyone convincingly explain the science behind them.

Anyway, the best approach probably is abstinence.

'En Vino Veritas'
Translation: in wine there's truth.

what's the word?
Thunderbird!
what's the price?
Thirty Twice!
what's the reason?
"Grapes" are in season!

Booze in a nutshell: controlled, it'll 'warm' your house....let it 'control' you?....it'll burn it down....

FLA10s
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Forget ciggaretes and alcohol, smoke weed and maintain.

raiden031
06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I think businesses should be able to advertise whatever they want, but I agree with forcing them to inform the public of the dangers of their products.

There is nothing wrong with alcohol consumption if it is done in moderation. Its up to the consumer to moderate themselves, and if they don't then they should be accountable for their actions.

jmverdugo
06-30-2010, 05:53 PM
In my country it is not allowed TV advertising for alcohol and tobaco, it has been this way for a long LONG time, more than 20 years I think. Not one beer or tobaco company has ever go broke, the beer consumption has never EVER had a year with sales lower than the year before. So, if you ask me it really doesn't matter.

I used to have problems with alcohol I can honestly tell you that any advertise made me drink more or less. It is our own responsability to go out of that abysm.

meowmix
06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't really think that getting rid of tv ads is really going to cut down on the amount of drinking people do. In the teenage world, drinking is hip, cool, and isn't really effected by the media. Any party that you go to will likely have alcohol, if not something stronger. In college, frats and drinking are almost synomous with college. I know that at the college I'm going to next year, considered one of the most "pretigious" in the world... alcohol is exceedingly rampant. The dean of students and the entire administration ran a campaign a few years ago to cut down the influence of frats and alcohol on students. The students protested wildly, and ALUMNI protested that frats were a part of the college experience. This, by the way, is Dartmouth, one of the Ivies.

That being said... I see no real harm in the alcohol ads on TV. If Budweiser wants to spend a few mil advertising during the Superbowl... let them. The people that were going to drink Budweiser are still going to drink Budweiser, and the people that weren't... aren't.

ollinger
06-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I hope they teach students at Dartmouth to examine data before reaching conclusions. Contact the Center for Science in the Public Interest, as they review data showing considerable impact on teens of beer/alcohol advertising, both on the amount and nature of drinking.

Davis937
07-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see so many of you comment ... does anyone know if there are countries that prohibit alcohol advertising/commercials on TV or other media ... any well known countries that allow "smoking" commercials to be aired ... thanks!

jmverdugo
07-01-2010, 05:57 AM
In Venezuela is prohibited to advertise alcohol and tobaco on TV and I am sure we are not the only Latin American country with this regulation.

tsongaali
07-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I will be going to college next year. Is it a guarantee I will be shunned if I refuse to drink?

raiden031
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I will be going to college next year. Is it a guarantee I will be shunned if I refuse to drink?

It completely depends on who you choose to associate with. I met TONS of people at my university that did not drink. If you hang around a bunch of drinkers though and you're the only one not doing it, then yeah there might be some shunning.

tsongaali
07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Okay good. I am relieved to know that there will be lots of people in college that don't drink. It just seems like everyone would do it though.

El Diablo
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
The humorist P.J. O'Rourke wrote astutely in one of his books that in America someone who declines the offer of a drink is assumed then to be an alcoholic.

jamesblakefan#1
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Okay good. I am relieved to know that there will be lots of people in college that don't drink. It just seems like everyone would do it though.

No one will force you to do anything. If you make it clear that you are not a drinker and are serious about it, there's not very many people that will get on your case and force you to drink, even at a party. I even know of people in fraternities that do not drink. And yes there are a good amount of people who go to college and do not drink. Granted it's probably less than 10%, but still...:D

raiden031
07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
And yes there are a good amount of people who go to college and do not drink. Granted it's probably less than 10%, but still...:D

At my college there were lots of nerds, I would almost say it was like 50% that didn't drink, maybe more.

Davis937
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
The humorist P.J. O'Rourke wrote astutely in one of his books that in America someone who declines the offer of a drink is assumed then to be an alcoholic.

HeyDiablo... well, you were pretty right on with this one ... I choose no longer to drink (and I am not an alcoholic) ... and ... because I don't drink, people do and have assumed that I must be an alcoholic ... kind of a sad statement regarding the prevalence of drinking in American society today, no ...

Davis937
07-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Hey, tsonga ... the truth be told ... there's A LOT of drinking on campus ... if you don't drink ... be prepared not to be invited to join any of the fraternities or sororities on campus ... which, in and of itself, is not a bad thing ... I went the Frat route and enjoyed it tremendously ... the only place "worse" than college for drinking was the military ... btw ... I no longer drink (... and, no, I'm not an alcoholic) ... you will definitely be in the minority if you don't drink on campus ... have fun in college and good luck!

jamesblakefan#1
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey, tsonga ... the truth be told ... there's A LOT of drinking on campus ... if you don't drink ... be prepared not to be invited to join any of the fraternities or sororities on campus ... which, in and of itself, is not a bad thing ... I went the Frat route and enjoyed it tremendously ... the only place "worse" than college for drinking was the military ... btw ... I no longer drink (... and, no, I'm not an alcoholic) ... you will definitely be in the minority if you don't drink on campus ... have fun in college and good luck!

I know from experience, fraternities will take anyone they can get. If you don't drink it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. As long as you are up front about it, most frats won't object if you are a serious non-drinker.

Davis937
07-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I know from experience, fraternities will take anyone they can get. If you don't drink it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. As long as you are up front about it, most frats won't object if you are a serious non-drinker.

well, technically you are probably correct ... at our school, the fraternities were informally "ranked" and placed in different tiers ... possibly, some of the "lower tier" frats would accept a nondrinker ... not likely that the more popular and top tier frats would accept a non drinker ... but, again, no one needs to pledge a frat or sorority to have a memorable collegiate experience ... some people enjoy that atmosphere ... some people don't ... I believe the OP is female ... that too would play a major role in her acceptance as a non drinker, no.

SoBad
07-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Alcohol is good for you, especially wine. Beer also contains essential vitamins, and strong drinks are good when your nerves are all shot. Taxation and regulation of anything, on the contrary, is never good for those being taxed and/or regulated.

Davis937
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
The fact that smoking products are prohibited from being advertised on TV got me thinking ... it just dawned on me that there are actually some other fairly common items/products that we don't see advertised on TV (probably prohibited) ... can anyone name some of these items? ... oh, yeah ... let's keep it clean!

raiden031
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
The fact that smoking products are prohibited from being advertised on TV got me thinking ... it just dawned on me that there are some other fairly common items/products that we don't see advertised on TV ... can anyone name some of these items? ... oh, yeah ... let's keep it clean!

sex toys...

hb_hound
07-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Alcohol is a LEGAL product and the manufactures of said LEGAL product should not be banned from advertising to help sell products. The same also holds true for any other LEGAL product.
It is not the manufactures fault that the product is abused and they are not responsible for the stupid choices that some consumers make. If you have a problem with drinking, the choice is yours and you should take responsibility for your own stupidity if you choose to continue drinking.

spacediver
07-02-2010, 11:00 AM
the whole consciousness on drugs in north america (less so these days) is pretty whack.

Two of the most harmful drugs on the planet (alcohol and tobacco) are not only legal, but are sold by the government, while hallucinogenics and cannabinoids will get you put in jail.

I'm all for responsible drug use, alcohol included.

Davis937
07-04-2010, 12:56 AM
The fact that smoking products are prohibited from being advertised on TV got me thinking ... it just dawned on me that there are actually some other fairly common items/products that we don't see advertised on TV (probably prohibited) ... can anyone name some of these items? ... oh, yeah ... let's keep it clean!

One poster commented that sex toys are prohibited from TV advertising/commercials ... there are some other fairly common products/items that we don't see advertised ... any guesses?