PDA

View Full Version : pro staff 5.1 surge = babolat pure drive ? I THINK NOT

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 05:01 PM
After reading various posts on this site, the general impression is that the wilson hyper pro staff 5.1 surge plays identical to the babolat pure drive --- i then decided to buy 2 wilson Ps and anyone who says there play identical to bab PD's couldnt be further from the truth!!!!!!!

Also id be interested to see what people think on the following rackets..

Yonex v-con 15
Prince tour nxg midplus
head Liquidmetal instinct
wilson hyper pro staff 5.1 surge
Wilson hyper carbon hyper hammer 6.2 (103 SQ)
Babolat pure drive team

IS IT ME OR ARE ALL OF THERE RACKETS BASICALLY THE SAME ( with exception to the prince nxg)

any.. lets here what you all have to say... :confused:

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 05:31 PM
ive also played with the

TT hornet
fischer pro number 1
Wilson pro staff zone 6.1
Head i radical
head intelligence is4
wilson triad 5.0

i dont like any of these rackets and including the ones ive allready listed

could someone please sugest a racket ?? that i might actually like ??

Speedy_tennis
05-20-2005, 06:36 PM
no, the pd have more stiffnes

AndrewD
05-20-2005, 06:40 PM
newracketagain.

you'll have to include a bit more information about your playing standard and style before anyone can fairly recommend a racquet to you. Just mention what sort of thing you think you're looking for, what you like and don't like in a racquet and let people take it from there.

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 07:24 PM
i play mostly baseline! ideally i want perfect poweer and precision ! with great spin potential ! amazing feel ! great touch ! but will i ever find it ?? all the rackets i have brought have promised this >?

monologuist
05-20-2005, 07:39 PM
yeah...I posted something about this very thing a while back...and gave a detailed breakdown of the subtle but important differences between the PD, the Surge, the Shark, and the PRo Kennex LAver Type S.

By the way, I've played all of them, and my favorite was the Pro Kennex, followed by the Surge....but the PK is the most control oriented of them...so you may wnna check that one out...the one I used was the Pro Kennex Laver Type SX, the extended length verson, which I preferred in almost every category. I also liked the Surge X a lot, but it was a little too stiff, and spin potential was just a little less than the Pro Kennex.

newracketagain??
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
haha.. yeh but who really wants a pro kennex racket ?? not a junior !! after trying them all my preffernce was the pure drive ! i felt that it had amazing spin potential ! i liked the 5.1 but thought it was more powerfull than the pure drive and had a rather dead feel !

the liquid metal instinct was my second fave, but i just couldnt get any consitent power from it ! if it was as powerfull as say the ps 5.1 it would of been my perfect racket

the hornets where rubbish ! i threw them away ! after about 5 hours of play ! the triad was awfull ! it was like using ball gun !! as was the intelligence is4 ! the i radical was to low power.. as was the pro staff 6.5 zone ! and the fishcer gds was to heavy !

i want something that is like the pure drive.. but maybe not as stiff ?? but then theyl say the pro staff 5.1 > and i just didnt like it ! it was pants for backhands ! the v-con 15 was ok..but it was 27.5 and i found it a bit un manouverable ! and they dont make a 27 inch version !

tarkowski
05-20-2005, 08:52 PM
The nCode6.1 95 16x18 might be worth a try.

It is quite powerful for a 'control' frame - but still great control. Spin is incredible - great power on serve and baseline play. It has more solid feel when compared to the surge - but less power given same swing. Weight of racquet does most of the work - so if you have good swing, the balls on opposite court will be very heavy.

Depending on strings, I prefer the 18x20 for more all-court game, especially net. My partner uses the 16x18 and he's never hit such heavy balls before. He definitely likes to play near the baseline and pound them out. :-)

ssjkyle31
05-20-2005, 09:07 PM
So what racket did you like in the past? What kind of balance was the racket? Did you learned tennis by your self or did you have a coach? When you used the PD or the surge did your balls fly long? When you used the Fischer did you hit a lot of balls short? With the exception of the fischer, Do you like a even balance or head heavy racket? Do you like feedback from your racket or do you like a mute feeling?

Steve H.
05-21-2005, 08:55 AM
If you're too cool to play with a PK, check out the Prince Shark (just like Maria) or the newer Babs AeroPro Drive. Specs of both sound like what you are describing, a less stiff PD, 100sqin head and tapered beam.

monologuist
05-21-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand your prejudice against Pro Kennex? Why would a junior not want to play with one? THey make some of the best racquets on the market IMO. Anyway, if you tried the Laver Type S and didn't like it, whatever, it's a matter of taste....but if you haven't tried it, I strongly suggest you do...it was the lawst one I tried out of all of those Pure Drive types, and I'm glad I did, as it was the clearly the best.

Grimjack
05-21-2005, 03:41 PM
it was pants for backhands !

This has got to be the single strangest comment I've ever read about anything.

AJK1
05-21-2005, 04:17 PM
I think you are telling a few wobblies newracketagain! Why would you buy 2 new rackets and then ask everyone on here what you should buy! And didn't you demo the Wilson's before you bought them? Strange!

newracketagain??
05-21-2005, 04:42 PM
ok.. think im lying.. them give me youre email adress and il send you a photo !!!!!!

in the uk it costs 16 to demo when u can buy a new one for 70 !

demoing rackets in the UK is virtually impossible !

give me ure email adress and ul feel foolish when i show you pics !

monologuist
05-21-2005, 09:59 PM
is this the romper room of the TW boards?

AJK1
05-22-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm not the foolish one!

newracketagain??
05-22-2005, 08:56 AM
you obviously are for saying something that is not true ! ok, so if not a foo a liar ?? i want help with my strings.. not a childish arguement ! :)

finchy
05-22-2005, 03:39 PM
actually the surge should be considered the cheaper option for the babolat pure drive. the only major difference is the woofer grommets so that is probably why you felt that they were very different.

goober
05-22-2005, 04:29 PM
actually the surge should be considered the cheaper option for the babolat pure drive. the only major difference is the woofer grommets so that is probably why you felt that they were very different.

The woofer system makes a huge difference in the way the racquet feels and plays though. The PD is much more powerful and has much less feeling than the surge. They are very similar in specs and they also almost match exactly in frame shape when physically matched up against each other. They are 2 very different racquets however.

monologuist
05-22-2005, 04:52 PM
the woofer is not the only difference....look carefully at the inside edge of the hoop...the Wilson comes in at 3 and 9 o'clock , like most Wilsons...not sure how this affects the play specifically, but I'm sure it makes a differemce. Also, they have pretty different feeling handle shapes, which some people are very sensitive to, others may not be. I wouldn't say the PD is much more powerful than the Surge...they're pretty close..I always felt that the Surge had more power, but it;s hard to say. Also, the PD defintiely doesn't swing "much lighter"...if anything I'd say it swings a little heavier...and looking at the swingweight specs, looks like this is the case. Anyway, point is the Woofers make all the difference and for some, they are preferable , giving a softer feel and more spin. For others, the more precise, linear response of the Wilson standard grommets feels better....but they feel surprisingly different...

AJK1
05-22-2005, 07:32 PM
So if you can't demo racquets because it costs so much, how did you try out all those racquets that you listed in your posts?

newracketagain??
05-22-2005, 08:06 PM
it dontest cost "to much , its just a waste of as youre paying %20 of a racket" for nothing!

goober
05-22-2005, 08:23 PM
the woofer is not the only difference....look carefully at the inside edge of the hoop...the Wilson comes in at 3 and 9 o'clock , like most Wilsons...not sure how this affects the play specifically, but I'm sure it makes a differemce. Also, they have pretty different feeling handle shapes, which some people are very sensitive to, others may not be. I wouldn't say the PD is much more powerful than the Surge...they're pretty close..I always felt that the Surge had more power, but it;s hard to say. Also, the PD defintiely doesn't swing "much lighter"...if anything I'd say it swings a little heavier...and looking at the swingweight specs, looks like this is the case. Anyway, point is the Woofers make all the difference and for some, they are preferable , giving a softer feel and more spin. For others, the more precise, linear response of the Wilson standard grommets feels better....but they feel surprisingly different...

The Wilson perimeter weighting system may make some difference although I still think that the major difference is the wooofer system of the Babolat. Personally when I tried the PD with the same string and tension that I used on my surge I couldn't keep the ball in the court. It seemed a lot more powerful for me. I personally like the PD much better on serves but my ground strokes required a measured swing with spin or it wasn't going in.

The stock swingweight may be different but since I had about 20 grams of lead on my Surge it felt slightly higher swingweight.

In any case I sold both of them and I am using your old racquet- MP tour 5 :D

monologuist
05-22-2005, 09:59 PM
nice!...the MP Tour-5 is a very sweet racquet...one of the only 3 that I can play well with (along with Pro Kennex Laver SX and my current stick, a Vantage 100")

what strings are you using Goober, and do you have any lead on it?

goober
05-22-2005, 10:32 PM
nice!...the MP Tour-5 is a very sweet racquet...one of the only 3 that I can play well with (along with Pro Kennex Laver SX and my current stick, a Vantage 100")

what strings are you using Goober, and do you have any lead on it?

I have 16 grams of lead on it right now- 4 g at 10,12 and 4 g at 9 and 3. 8 grams are in the handle. I tried 2g lead at 12 but didn't like the balance. The racquet is way too underpowered stock.

I am currently using Wilson NXT/Kirshbaum Supersmash Honey @59 lbs, but I have developed TE before switching to this racquet I think I am going to lower my tension with some(50-52 lbs) and go with a soft multi not sure which. Any suggestions?

racingdad23
05-22-2005, 10:35 PM
and the fishcer gds was to heavy!

I think you're confusing the GDS with the Pro1 that you mentioned earlier. The GDS series racquets are all approx 8.9-10.5 oz The Pro 1 is 12oz.

newracketagain??
05-23-2005, 06:49 AM
the gds weighs about 295g and i found that it was heavy for the type of racket that it is comprable with ! sasy somethinglike the hammer 6.2 ? that weighs 250g ? or something liek thast ? i just thought i had an extra 50g got no reason and found it unpredictable for its frameshape

monologuist
05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Goober,
for a multi string, I'd suggest one of the following:

Laserfibre Supreme 17 - Plays on the firm side, thin, holds tension incredibly well

Yonex Tour Super 850 16L - only comes in 130mm., but a great value overall

Signum Pro Fiber High Tech EXP 16 - also only comes in 130mm., plays similarly to Tecnifibre X-ONe Biphase - very gut-like and soft.

Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 - Very soft and powerful, not the most durable though.

MY favorite is the Laserfibre , since it is the most consistent and predictable....if you're trying to get more power, the Signum or TEcnifibre would be a good choice...the Yonex I know for fact plays very well in the Tour-5...I've tried it before....as long as you don't mind a thicker string.

barry
05-24-2005, 03:43 AM
I use the old Pro staff Surge 5.1, have my 2 4 5/8 built up to 11.8 ounces.
Thick Leather grips, lead tape at 9, 12, and 3 (6 grams each). I use all poly string at 54 pounds, and the racket plays great.
Have not used the new Ncode Surge, but currently my 2 are great! Keeping it a bit head heavy increases serves about 10 mph.
I can get 2 surges for the price of 1 babalot PD, and I think the rackets play pretty much the same. After all Wilson did clone the racket, and added the PWS for better stability.

newracketagain??
05-24-2005, 06:15 AM
ITS NOT A CLONE AT ALL ! the babolat pd has so much more spin potential ! i originally brought my surge's as backups for my PD's but i was shocked at how differnetly they play! the pd kinda skims threw with topspin ! the surge makes you play more through the ball and dominate it ! i agree the surge' is amazing value for money ! it is probably the ugliest racket ever made but its good to play with !

what is the poly string yo used in youre surge ? i strung mine with with wilson nxt 17 at 59 lbs and it wasnt very nice ! it had very little power and broke in about 3 hours!

barry
05-24-2005, 07:33 AM
newracketagain??

I used Gosen Polylon 17, cheap string ($30 a reel 660') and it plays great. Never moves around in your racket, and holds tension. Usually get a month out of a set, other string max of 2 weeks and they either break, or are to loose.

One comment on Babalot, all of the pro's using the Babalot frames never paint them. They actually play with the frame, says good things about Babalot.

barry
05-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Correct spelling should be Babolat not babalot!

Sorry