PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the I-pad

LameTennisPlayer
07-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Just wanting to know anyone's experiences with the I-pad, good or bad, im considering either this or the I-phone 4g, the I-phone seems to be gettin a bad rap lately, not sure how it will affect Oz customers.

LameTennisPlayer
07-02-2010, 04:21 AM
I don't really need a new phone, but I need something portable where i can connect to the net etc...is the I-pad what its cracked out to be??

armsty
07-02-2010, 04:39 AM
I'm holding out here in Sydney for the iPhone 4. Getting one as soon as I can, hey if it's crap I can always use my 3G till it dies.

OrangeOne
07-02-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't really need a new phone, but I need something portable where i can connect to the net etc...is the I-pad what its cracked out to be??

They're such different devices I'm surprised people see them as 'either-or' options. I don't own an iPad, but I have used them, read a lot of the reviews, etc. I do have a 3GS iPhone, and it's the best piece of tech I've ever owned, it's phenomenal.

The real strength of the iPhone is partly that you have it with you at all times. There's an old adage in photography that says "the best camera is the one you have with you" - it's referring to the fact that while a pro-SLR is great, we can't always carry one. In internet-terms, this applies to the iPhone too. The browsing experience is amazing....for the size.

It all depends what you want to do on the net. If browsing is your thing, then yeah, the iPad seems to be a good device. If you want to author content - write a lot of emails / etc etc - I'd still be tempted to get a netbook - cheaper and more functional. I still feel, like many reviews, the iPad is a bit lost right now, other than as a content-consuming device. The true uses for it will come to light over time....

That said, with either a netbook or an iPad - you have to carry another device, and that's the killer for me. At least with the iPhone, I already have it with me. Usually, if I need to do something more than I can on the iPhone, I find that I'm close enough to a computer or I delay it until I am, or I'm carrying a bag, in which case a netbook or maybe macbook 13 would be preferable and soooooooo much more functional than an iPad (at least for someone who is already carrying an iPhone).

Note to others: most (all so far) who have posted in this thread are aussies, and thus the crappiness of AT&T is not an issue, as it seems to be for americans.

armsty
07-02-2010, 05:33 AM
I live off my iPhone, before that I had an E61, good bricky business type phone. Now I browse, email and text nonstop it seems. I love the easy of using the email app on the iphone. I email a lot of customers about stringjobs and such and this lets me get really fast responses out to them which they love, and brings in business a few days earlier than usual.

LameTennisPlayer
07-02-2010, 06:22 AM
thanks for your comments, i was considering an i-pad or netbook, maybe ill just wait a lil while until the new i-phone comes out

armsty
07-02-2010, 06:31 AM
It all does come down to what you use it for and how you would get your iPad around. For me, a high school student (soon to be tafe or uni I guess) who is coaching 5-6 days a week, having an iPad would be immensely useless.

OrangeOne
07-02-2010, 07:05 AM
I love the easy of using the email app on the iphone.

Seconded.

It is hard to describe to people just how good the email app is. The ability for it to integrate with other mail is amazing - it treats my Gmail account as if it's a server in a full-on mail environment, and the integration is so slick it's amazing (and I have it set so that calendar & contacts sync to gmail as well, again, amazingly smooth).

Another iPhone (and presumably iPad advantage as it tends to be an apple thing) advantage is resale. My N97 was worth much less than half (pretty much one-third) it's massive retail value in 6 months, iPhones were still sitting at maybe 70%+ (!!!!) of their retail value at the same time period.

A 4G iPhone would be a good purchase, as would a 2nd hand 3GS in a few months when the prices finally drop a bit (or even a new 3GS as the price for that will drop too). I'm that happy with my 3GS on iOS4 that I won't be upgrading for a bit - simply no need. The only real thing I'd want from the 4G right now would be the battery life!

LameTennisPlayer
07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
cool.....so no love for the i-pad? overrated perhaps?!

OrangeOne
07-02-2010, 07:19 AM
cool.....so no love for the i-pad? overrated perhaps?!

If I bought one, it'd be primarily for around the house - net surf on the lounge, maybe watch youtube in bed, that sort of thing. But right now I have an 'old' (almost 2 years lol) netbook for that sort of thing, and it still has the advantage of having a real keyboard.

As I say, I think if I didn't have an iPhone, I'd be sooo much more tempted by a an iPad. Like armsty - I can't imagine lugging an iPad. I'd rather lug a small laptop than an iPad at this stage, but often due to the iPhone, I lug 'nothing' at all thesedays.

armsty
07-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Don't start on the bloody battery life. My 3G's battery was lasting me 24 hours on a good day. I updated to IOS4.0 and was dissapointed to see it down to about 20 hours. I jailbroke that so I actually get multi tasking and such, I'm lucky to get it to last from 8am - 10pm. That's without flogging it for more than 30 mins of the day

OrangeOne
07-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Don't start on the bloody battery life. My 3G's battery was lasting me 24 hours on a good day. I updated to IOS4.0 and was dissapointed to see it down to about 20 hours. I jailbroke that so I actually get multi tasking and such, I'm lucky to get it to last from 8am - 10pm. That's without flogging it for more than 30 mins of the day

I've never been brave enough to jail-break, i like it too much in stock form.

I do know what you mean about flogging it too - there are times when I end up waiting somewhere (say a doctor/friend/client is 30mins late and you just end up using the time on the iPhone) - it's so amazing to see what that can do to the battery. Even the other day I ended up chatting to a mate for an hour - another hard hit on the battery life. I just try and remember that for something soooo functional, there has to be a downside.

I have noticed a couple of negatives since iOS4 - sometimes when texting it seems a little clunky, like there's a little delay. I assume these things will even out with time, subsequent releases, etc. I do like folders and multi.

All of that said, compared to the n97 - which was the clunkiest piece of crap I've ever owned, the iPhone on a slightly raw iOS4 is still amazing.

armsty
07-02-2010, 07:42 AM
I've never been brave enough to jail-break, i like it too much in stock form.

I do know what you mean about flogging it too - there are times when I end up waiting somewhere (say a doctor/friend/client is 30mins late and you just end up using the time on the iPhone) - it's so amazing to see what that can do to the battery. Even the other day I ended up chatting to a mate for an hour - another hard hit on the battery life. I just try and remember that for something soooo functional, there has to be a downside.

I have noticed a couple of negatives since iOS4 - sometimes when texting it seems a little clunky, like there's a little delay. I assume these things will even out with time, subsequent releases, etc. I do like folders and multi.

All of that said, compared to the n97 - which was the clunkiest piece of crap I've ever owned, the iPhone on a slightly raw iOS4 is still amazing.
The 3G (you said you have a 3GS) is said to be horrible with IOS4.0. That's why with 3G you cannot multi task and do some other little things, the battery cannot take it. I jailbroke to do these things and I can see why I shouldnt have it on a 3G.

OrangeOne
07-02-2010, 07:47 AM
^^ Can you simply re-install iOS3 and then jail-break?

gavna
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I have an Ipad (wifi 64gb + 3G) and love it - I travel alot (2 1/2 weeks per month easy) and have a full library of books and magazines I subscribe too - soooo easy and fast with web.
I'm in heaven being able to get internet versions of magazines and periodicals from Europe and Canada. iphone just way to small -

armsty
07-03-2010, 07:32 PM
^^ Can you simply re-install iOS3 and then jail-break?
Yeah that's the plan when I can be bothered.

movdqa
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I have an iPad and love it. I read email, have a bunch of TV shows on it and use it to help with trading. Ameritrade has a pretty nice app as does Etrade. I'm waiting for Fidelity to come up with a good trading app for the iPad.

I really am not into Smart Phones. My reading vision isn't that good and I miss the pixel real estate. I also have the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard + iPad weigh in at under 2.5 pounds so it's still a light package if you need to do a fair amount of writing.

SuperFly
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I got to housesit for a guy with an iPad. here's a quick review:

It's essentially a bigger version of the iPhone. It runs the same apps, same backgrounds, same everything. It's pretty fun to play around with, but it's not a true tablet. A true tablet PC would mean you could run third-party apps on it (ahem, app store) and have a fully functional OS on it instead of a modified phone OS.

Microsoft has a version of Windows 7 for tablet PC's already, but you won't see them hyped up anytime soon since Microsoft doesn't make their hardware and make it so Windows can only be installed on that machine.

Right now, it'd be smart to look into a smartphone (call me an Apple hater, but look at the Palm phones or Android-powered handsets.)

Thomas Crown
07-03-2010, 08:55 PM
1. Who needs the internet ALL THE TIME?
2. How many emails can you possibly get in a day?
3. How many of them are urgent?
4. Do you foresee yourself watching movies outside in the park, or on the train, or the bus?
5. Do you foresee yourself watching movies on something you have to hold like a newspaper?

There's probably like 143 people in the entire world who need to be accessible ALL THE TIME. so, people who talk about the need to access email all the time are lying; their customers can wait a couple of hours--the most any one is away from the internet these days. If you don't work during the day, YOU DON'T NEED AN IPHONE, let alone a bigger version of it.

the ipad is ******** and no one needs it.

Mansewerz
07-03-2010, 09:53 PM
How does the Nokia N900 stack up?

OrangeOne
07-03-2010, 10:03 PM
There's probably like 143 people in the entire world who need to be accessible ALL THE TIME. so, people who talk about the need to access email all the time are lying; their customers can wait a couple of hours--the most any one is away from the internet these days. If you don't work during the day, YOU DON'T NEED AN IPHONE, let alone a bigger version of it.

the ipad is ******** and no one needs it.

The above is largely rubbish. I know many who do not work during the day that find the idea of easy access to email something very attractive - including latter-stage students running research, people who run small businesses from home, etc.

The other thing is the fact that you use the word need. Of course, most 'needs' other than food, shelter etc can be debated, but it can make life easier. One nice thing about email & solid browsing access on the move is the ability to use dead time. The time spent on the bus, time spent waiting for an appointment (given we live in a society where people are increasingly late), etc. If I can reply to emails in that time - which sometimes requires a quick browse, then I can have more time for 'life' when I'm home!

fed_the_savior
07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, you should buy an iPad. And mail it to me. ;)

OrangeOne
07-03-2010, 10:10 PM
How does the Nokia N900 stack up?

I won't touch a Nokia now I know (from experience) their support quality.

I dunked my N97 in the ocean (yep, silly) and it died. Nokia customer care will not fix it, even for money. That's right, I couldn't pay them to fix my 6 month old phone. They said to try a third-party repairer, which I found a horrid option.

For the record, before I dunked the phone, BOTH cameras had stopped working, the charging connector was iffy and the 'a' key was repeating - all of this on a phone that was treated well, and less than 6m old.

For the record also, when I was sitting in the Nokia customer care store, there were at least 3-4 people sitting around me holding n97's with issues, something I found remarkable on such a high-end phone.

If I took my iPhone swimming, $199 and apple will send me a new or refurb'd one. They'll actually send this out to me immediately, and I'll have 10 days to send the wet one back. More impressive is that this policy applies during and after the warranty period! It also applies to any non-catastrophic damage or functionality after the warranty period too.

LameTennisPlayer
07-07-2010, 01:09 PM
i thought this flow chart was pretty funny, after googling 'should i buy an i-pad'

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2010/03/should-i-buy-an-ipad.html

RealityPolice
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Mrs. RealityPolice got an iPad via her office to tinker with. It's nice to use for lounging around and surfing the Internet, but I don't use it for much else--I don't use my computer for much, either, so I'm probably not the intended audience for an iPad. It's a cool little gadget, though.

TourTenor
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
i thought this flow chart was pretty funny, after googling 'should i buy an i-pad'

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2010/03/should-i-buy-an-ipad.html
answer> 'only if you are having your i-period':)

OrangeOne
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
answer> 'only if you are having your i-period':)

Mad TV did a skit years before Apple announced the iPad, based on an, err, iPad ;) Can be found on the tube. I'm not linking it as it's probably not quite PG in nature (close though).

quest01
07-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Yes you should buy an ipad, I have one and its a revolutionary and magical device that everyone should buy. There is a reason why 3 million ipads were sold in the first 80s days at market. As the Nike slogan goes "just do it"