PDA

View Full Version : Sues Dad Forcing Him to Pay for Her Schooling

cork_screw
07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Only in America. Man we got some pretty spoiled brats in this country. I would love to be the dad, so I could punch her in the face. What's the worst part of this??? Besides the fact that he has to pay for her car insurance and textbooks of all things? Well it's that she's graduating with an ART Major!!! Good luck finding a job with that dummy. You're asking him to pay for your waste of time major? All the art students I know are working at Trader Joes or Walmart. My dad would kick my *** if I asked him to go grab me something from the convenient store, let alone pay several k for schooling. Guess what? Go to junior college if you can't pay. I really want to punch her in the face. I HATE people who rely on others to get by in life.

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/109991/college-grad-sues-dad-to-cover-student-debt?mod=edu-continuing_education

hollywood9826
07-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Well he signed a contract saying he would pay. He didnt pay. The girl pulled a quick on on him at got her college paid for.

cghipp
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
It was part of his divorce settlement, backed up by an additional contract. The guy reneged on it and got sued. He deserved it.

ollinger
07-02-2010, 03:50 PM
This girl won't rely on others to get through life -- she relied on her own keen foresight. Parents divorced, she sensed he couldn't be relied on, got him to sign an agreement. Good for her! It should be noted that the agreement required him to cover IF she was unable to get loans, which she probably couldn't based on his income as a property developper. I have no problem with anything she did, and she probably knew him to be a creep.

jigar
07-02-2010, 04:03 PM
That is just bad parenting.. I can't imagine what would that girl's child would do to her..
Relying on someone to pay your school fees it totally nonsense. Now she has a degree so she should get a job rather than suing her father...

goober
07-02-2010, 04:03 PM
I actually don't have a problem with this case since he agreed to it and signed a contract. As a property developer he probably was doing very well financially when he signed the contract in 2005. I am sure he took a big hit over the last couple years, but he should have considered this possiblity when he signed the contract.

I have read about other cases where the father did not agree to it beforehand, divorced while the kids were in their early teens and was later successfully sued to pay for college.

shwetty[tennis]balls
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
The girl's pretty brilliant if you ask me. If my dad had the money I'd make him pay for my college~

Bartelby
07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
The really interesting part of the story is the last part, which no one has commented upon.

slice bh compliment
07-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Something tells me this family had 'issues' long before this case.

cghipp
07-03-2010, 04:03 AM
The second half of the story was completely irrelevant to the first - did anyone else think so? It was like they took two education-related stories and just shoved them together.

Bartelby
07-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Yes, well, the story was the unusual exception to the dismal reality of student loans so as a coda they put her good fortune more sharply into contrast to this reality, presumably so the reader wouldn't say 'who gives a toss about her given her good luck'.

The second half of the story was completely irrelevant to the first - did anyone else think so? It was like they took two education-related stories and just shoved them together.

cghipp
07-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Yes, well, the story was the unusual exception to the dismal reality of student loans so as a coda they put her good fortune more sharply into contrast to this reality, presumably so the reader wouldn't say 'who gives a toss about her given her good luck'.I would gladly take my history of working my way through school and accepting what my parents were able to give me, over her "good luck" with her (apparently) d-bag father! (I'm guessing you feel the same way.)

I thought paying for school was next to impossible when I started college 20 years ago, and I went to an in-state public college. (Wow, hard to believe it's been that long.) My kids won't start until ten years from now (16 for my youngest), and I shudder to think what it will cost at that point!

Juges8932
07-03-2010, 08:26 AM
My dad pays for my college and I expect it. I also hope to be able to do the same for my kids. If you have the money, there is no good reason not to pay for your kid's schooling. It's part of being a parent.

cghipp
07-03-2010, 10:44 AM
My dad pays for my college and I expect it. I also hope to be able to do the same for my kids. If you have the money, there is no good reason not to pay for your kid's schooling. It's part of being a parent.I would also like to put my kids through college, if I can. If parent's don't have their retirement funds in order, they absolutely should not pay for their kids' college. Kids can get loans for college, but you can't borrow for your retirement. (I use the "retirement" term, but it's hard for me to see a future where I don't have to work at all.)

I think this is likely a cultural issue. In my area, I think most parents would like to pay for their kids' college education. I was surprised to learn that a lot of people I've met who have moved here from elsewhere feel that their responsibilities end when their kids turn 18 or graduate from high school. I can only say for myself that I'm glad my parents continued to help me when they could. They couldn't pay for everything (teachers don't always make enough to educate their own children) but they made it a lot easier. I don't think I was ready to be completely on my own at that time.

Talker
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I paid for my own college, no help at all from my parents and never asked for it.

I was over 18 and took full responsibility for the bills, loans etc.
Being a grown up I wanted to show that I could pull my own weight and not depend on anyone.

If you can't get a loan then go to work and go to school part time.

Being over 18, my parents owe me nothing more and I'm helping them by taking care of myself and saving them money.

pmerk34
07-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Only in America. Man we got some pretty spoiled brats in this country. I would love to be the dad, so I could punch her in the face. What's the worst part of this??? Besides the fact that he has to pay for her car insurance and textbooks of all things? Well it's that she's graduating with an ART Major!!! Good luck finding a job with that dummy. You're asking him to pay for your waste of time major? All the art students I know are working at Trader Joes or Walmart. My dad would kick my *** if I asked him to go grab me something from the convenient store, let alone pay several k for schooling. Guess what? Go to junior college if you can't pay. I really want to punch her in the face. I HATE people who rely on others to get by in life.

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/109991/college-grad-sues-dad-to-cover-student-debt?mod=edu-continuing_education

Happens in lots of countries not just here.