PDA

View Full Version : Rossignol F200 Carbon racquet for beginner?

Ultra Magnus
05-21-2005, 05:56 AM
I bought a Rossignol F200 Carbon racquet about 16 years ago and used it only once (its in mint condition LOL). Anyway I am looking to start playing now and I was wondering if I could use my old racquet (I re-strung it) or whether I should buy a modern racquet. I am a 6'2, 215 pound athletic guy with a muscular build. Even though the racquet is heavy compared to present racquets I don't find it too much of a problem.

I can get a good deal on a Wilson PS Torch 7.1 (not a Torch 95 lol). Its stats are:

Composition: 70% graphite/ 30% fiberglass
Head: 100 sqin
Weight: 9.3 oz
Length: 27mm
Beam: 26mm

What racquets would be good for a person of my skill and size? I've only played two games so I'm guessing my playing rating would be 0 LOL!!

Thank you,
Ultra

AndrewD
05-21-2005, 06:17 AM
The Rossi is a great frame but, you are 16 years older (and so is the racquet) so why not put it to one side and have a classic racquet in near mint condition while you treat yourself to something a bit more up to date and less challenging for a beginner?

Someone of your size, even a beginner, might find the 9.8ounce weight a bit too light so it might be worth your while choosing something a little bit heavier. Regardless, I wouldnt be looking to spend a great deal, just something that you can use while you learn the basics. When you're ready to progress and you've got some kind of game in place then think about spending a few dollars more.

A good suggestion would be to look in TW's liquidation section. You'll find a good selection of racquets at very good prices.

Steve H.
05-21-2005, 08:31 AM
The F200 was a great frame, but it has a small head so it might be frustrating for a beginner. But 9 ounces is pretty light for a strapping fella like yourself. Maybe find an oversize frame that's 11 ounces or so, like the Head Radical line.

Ultra Magnus
05-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Thank you for your replys. I went to TW's liquidation section and tried to look for 11 oz non-stiff racquets. Would the Head i.X5 MP or i.X3 OS be a good racquet for what I should be looking for? Anyway this is such a great site, I learned so much reading old threads!

Thanks,
Ultra

anirut
05-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Ultra Magnus, I'm interested in your F200 racket. I had one but it's broken. Mind to email me at anirutbox@yahoo.com ? May be we can make a deal.

Thanks.

Ultra Magnus
05-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Ultra Magnus, I'm interested in your F200 racket. I had one but it's broken. Mind to email me at anirutbox@yahoo.com ? May be we can make a deal.

Thanks.

Sorry Anirut but I want to keep my Rossignol Racquet. I know if I sell/trade it now I'll never forgive myself later on LOL.

galain
05-21-2005, 11:30 PM
I still play comp with my F200 (although I've put it aside for a little while at the moment). My first instinct is to tell you to go ahead and enjoy the racquet. But - if it's in mint condition, I'd be hanging it on a wall and getting something a little more modern. How about the Pro Kennex Type R? Kevin T - another Rossi freak on this board (and all 'round great fella) has written some very positive things about the PK. It sounds flexible, had a reasonable head size and decent weight. Might be something to look at?

All the best

Steve Huff
05-23-2005, 05:09 AM
You could probably get enough from your Rossi to buy a pretty nice new racket. If the 200 is truly in "mint" condition, you might get $75-$100 for it (maybe more). There are several closeout models that would suit you better. Leave the Rossi to someone who collects them.

Pushmaster
05-23-2005, 05:44 AM
He's already stated that he does not want to sell his F200. What makes the F200 worthy only of collectors? A tennis racquet is made for playing tennis, doesn't do much good hanging on somebodys wall. I say restring it with some good strings and get out on the courts, you'll be better off in the long run learning the game with the F200 as opposed to some granny stick.

Ultra Magnus
05-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks all for the advise, I'm just going to learn/play off the Rossignol and not get another racquet. That way I can pump more money into the next racquet and get a racquet to match my playing style (don't know what it is yet LOL). Thank God I found this site as I was going to give away my racquet and just buy a new one.

P.S. What strings are good for a Rossignol F200 Carbon racquet? I got it strung with cheap strings (before I created this thread) so the next time I'll put on some good ones.

Thanks,
Ultra

Kevin T
05-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the kinds words, Galain. We are definitely Rossi freaks. Ultra, I would definitely hold on to that Rossi. There is nothing on the market that is comparable. As for strings, you can't beat gut but I would suggest a firmer string (Gosen OG Sheep JC, poly, Lux, etc.) because the frame is already super flexy and buttery soft. Never liked multis in the F200. I agree with Galain on his rec. of the PK Type R. Great "everyman's racquet". An advanced player can add a little lead tape and use it and it's not too demanding for beginners and intermediates. Not quite in the same league as the Volkl V1 Classic but definitely up there with the Pure Drive in terms of playability.

Galain,

By the way, I tried the PK Core #1 No.6 due to your sterling reviews and it's now my stick of choice. Great, great frame. Have a great summer, er, winter in Oz!

Colpo
05-23-2005, 12:01 PM
The F200 is a terrible frame for a beginner, especially when compared to just about everything else that's out there. Tiny headsize, small sweetspot, little power, and most importantly, an even to HH balance = why torture yourself?? I'd go so far to say that in this day and age the F200 is an unworkable frame for even a very good player - just requires too much work by the player.

I'll echo the sentiments of some of the Rossiheads above that for an expert player, or even somebody who's just acquainted with this particular sweetspot and frame, the F200 was a classic Euro/slow court frame for its time. That "time" was almost 25 years ago, when players who were picking up the F200 had been raised on even tinier woodies. In that context, yes, the F200 was easier and better.

Ultra Magnus
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm looking at getting a PK Kinetic Pro 7G through this site ...... would that be better than a Type R? I'm mainly looking for a racquet that won't give me tennis elbow or hurt my shoulder.

Thanks once again,
Ultra

Steve Huff
05-23-2005, 09:19 PM
The 7g is 1/2" longer, and I think the added length can contribute to tennis elbow. Length adds leverage, so you get more spin, power etc, but that force is leveraged back to your arm too.The 5g is about the same, but standard length.

Ultra Magnus
05-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks Steve for the info! I'm going to go with the kinetic 7G because I really like it's reviews.

P.S. Anyone order a racquet here from Canada and have to pay extra at the border? How much was shipping?

Thanks,
Ultra