PDA

View Full Version : How Hypocritical?

kimba
07-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Hi all,
just wondering,
If women want equal prize money in grand slam matches should they have to play the same amount of sets as the men? If these feminist groups want to push for equal opportunities/pay for women shouldn't we make it completely fair and expect them to play the same amount of tennis as the men? also if they want equal prize money shouldn't they play against the men? I read an article where it stated that if the world number one female had to be ranked as a man she would be about 600. wow, if woman's tennis is that far behind men's tennis how could they possibly think they should be paid like a man? how could anyone that is pushing for equal opportunity for woman think it is ok to discriminate against men? how could they be so hypocritical as to think if there are 600 people of the other sex better than the number 1 in their gender they should be payed more than 599 of them because they are female? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of what they are fighting for?

SuperFly
07-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Not this thread again...

nfor304
07-04-2010, 06:49 AM
you just need to convince the rest of the world that its 'better' watching a pair of male over the hill 35 year old journeymen ranked 600 or so (who nobody will have ever heard of) playing each other than it is watching serena play sharapova.

If you can manage that then you might be able to make a better case for non equal prize money.

Then you can work on getting extras in movies the same kind of pay that brad pitt gets. Because extras work just as hard and usually work longer hours right?

ollinger
07-04-2010, 08:12 AM
This topic is a little played out already, but let me ask the OP a question. To my knowledge, the WTA has never been ASKED to play 5 sets at slams and I'm not aware that they've ever refused to do so. Are you aware of them ever refusing to play 5 sets? So if the tournament organizers want them to play 3 sets, they should not be penalized financially for that.

LameTennisPlayer
07-04-2010, 08:54 AM
are u serious!?! i can barely watch a womens match for best of 3, now u want best of 5? the quality of play would deteriorate of 5 sets more injuries over the course of the year, and people like safina would rise to #1 and win slams, and we all know nobody wants that to happen

ronalditop
07-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Dont try to argue with women. You just can't win.

LameTennisPlayer
07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Dont try to argue with women. You just can't win.

how can you call BJK a woman, even her name is more manly than most men on tour

El Diablo
07-04-2010, 10:09 AM
There's a penetrating insight! What shall we call Gail Goodrich?

spaceman_spiff
07-05-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm going to let you in on a little secret: the money in sports has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of "work" involved. See for example, golf and baseball.

Those are two of the highest paying sports in the entire world, but you can't argue that a golfer or a baseball player does anywhere near the same amount of work in one round/game than a rugby player, tennis player, soccer player, etc. And, none of them do nearly as much work as a marathon runner.

Sports, my friend, is entertainment. It has nothing to do with work. So, the amount of money earned by the stars is determined by the amount of revenue coming from the spectators. That's it. There's nothing more to it: no punch cards, no pedometers, no counts of calories burned. The only counting involved is ticket, advertisement, and TV money.

The WTA's argument is that they bring in as many viewers and advertising as the men (that's where the real debate is), which is why they feel they deserve equal money. If that is true, then they do deserve their share.

If you really think winnings/salaries should be determined by the amount of effort involved, then let's see you crusade against the PGA and MLB.

r2473
07-05-2010, 07:28 AM
WTA should be paid according to a "hotness" rating. Bounuses for chicks that rate high on the hotness rating and wear fewer clothes. That is the only fair way.

I was astounded a few years ago when I realized what they were doing out there was supposedly playing tennis. I thought it was just some weird, new "runway model" type moves or something. But someone told me that they thinnk they are playing tennis. Astounding. Still, I don't think this is what they are really being paid for anyway.

mucat
07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I find your lack of faith in female tennis disturbing. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station......stations. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2jxKkn7pFg)

Cindysphinx
07-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Floyd Landis, the cyclist who won the Tour de France before he was stripped of his title for doping, says his salary on the U.S. team supporting Armstrong was $200,000. The year he won the Tour, his salary was $500,000.

I guess those cyclist should demand to be paid more because there is so much more work involved than a silly sport like tennis.

mucat
07-05-2010, 09:27 AM
What's the salary of a tennis player on a national team?

doom
07-05-2010, 04:22 PM
What's the salary of a tennis player on a national team?

Depends on the country. Some countries might not have any kind of match payment system where other counrties like Australia and the USA usually pay some sort of match fee plus expenses for each tie, as well as ongoing finnancial support to certin players throughout the year