PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Staff Midsize 85-History/comparison

angi73
05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I recently poached this from my dad and had it restrung, it plays great.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about it, where it was made, weight etc and differences to a Pro staff 85.

The racket is light grey metallic with the same yellow and red stripes around the rim as a pro staff. the frame is as far as i can see the same shape as a pro staff 85. It is made from 100% graphite. There is no "R" on the butcap, which is white and has gone a little red. has the letters "HMS" on the butcap.

Im just asking because i wonder how this compares to a Pro staff mid 85, for weight/feel etc.

I have a Prostaff 6.0 95, and 6.6 tour 85 (stars and stripes) coming to try out. But i am getting on pretty well with the Staff.

Information is scarce on this racket as far as i can make out, maybe its a bit of an unsung hero. Its a pretty good players racket.

Any help/comments much appreciated :)

newnuse
05-21-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't recognize this racket. Can you post a picture?

Thanks,

newnuse

angi73
05-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Here are some pics; i have just regripped, removed the origional leather grip

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/952310/DSC00443.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/952310/DSC00437.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/952310/DSC00441.JPG

I'm from the Uk by the way...

Lakoste
05-21-2005, 01:41 PM
maybe its the UK version of the Prostaff 6.0
but i dunno

Pushmaster
05-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Never mind.

newnuse
05-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Interesting, I've never seen that racket before. I have a Sting1/2 and a PS 85". This seems like a cross between them. It has the PWS system and made of 100% graphite. I'm guessing it might a model that came out between the Sting2 & PS. Then again, wasn't that the Jack Kramer Staff?

I don't know where rackets with HMS codes were made. Maybe somebody can chime in or you can email Wilson.

angi73
05-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Yes well as far as i can see it is from the smae mould as the ps 85"

I played with this racket today and it played great, it felt better for feel and precison than the Prostaff 6.0 95 that i have just got. Although the ps needs restringing probably. felt a bit light in comparison.

I bought a 6.6 Classic (stars and stripes) 85" head on ****, any idea how this compares to the other origional style prostaffs??

Maybe i just need to stick with this or get a Prostaff 85?

Im 19 and its nice to know that this racket is about the same age as me :)

So no-one is familiar with this racket then??

Jonnyf
05-22-2005, 01:02 PM
where in the uk do you live

big ted
05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
i heard of it that it was the predecessor to the prostaff 85, the difference between is the old staff has no kevlar and the graphite isnt braided, so it wont be as stiff, probably more feel. probably similar weight and balance

rulocal
05-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi

I used to play with this racquet about 15 years ago. I think it was the next one down in the range from the original ps. I vaguely remember pestering my parents for the prostaff and being told (rightfully so) that it was too expensive and that I was not good enough to use it. :(

I have just retrieved it from the lof and apart from the case being filthy the frame looks in good nick. I might get it restrung and have a play. I am looking for a new racquet to replace my Hyper PS 5.1 surges.

gregraven
05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Have you read the information here on the TW site about the WPS 6.0? They have quite a bit, although it is incomplete, as it does not mention several "ProStaff" racquets in various configurations and specifications that came out before the PS 6.0.

AndrewD
05-26-2005, 01:29 AM
The 'Staff' was the next step down from the PS 6.0 85 (when you didnt bother to distinguish between players frames and everything else) along with the ProSelect. Looked the same as the PS 6.0 85 but the similarities end there. As far as I can remember it was a bit lighter, not as stable and not as powerful. The ProSelect was the most flexible, then the Staff, then the ProStaff. Also have a vague idea the names are different depending on where you are located. So, the ProSelect has another name in the States although I wouldnt be surprised if it is the same in the UK as it was in Australia.

yip kok kuin
05-26-2005, 02:08 AM
The 'Staff' was the next step down from the PS 6.0 85 (when you didnt bother to distinguish between players frames and everything else) along with the ProSelect.

What about 'GR' range? It is made in Taiwan. Very cheap looking stick. But it plays well. Like a prostaff 85. Have you come across that and what is your take on it?

uk_skippy
05-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Hi guys

I've posted some info on this rqt and the rqts Wilson produced at the time from the same mould. Outline below is a precise of the posts I've made:-

"Wilson produced a range of frame using the now familiar ProStaff mould, but with different compositions. The PS85 is 80 graphite/20 kevlar, the staff was 100%graphite, the Aggressor was 80 graphite/20 fibreglass and the Avenger was 50 graphite/50 fiberglass. As for the col of the rqts, the PS is black with red/yello stripes that stop part of the way down the side(faceside) of the frame, the staff (in the UK was grey with red/yellow stripes that run all the way down the side to the throat and back halfway up the other side, the aggressor was black with the the same stripes as the staff and the avenger was white with green & blue stripes the running the same as the staff/aggressor. These rqts were around in 1985/86.

If you have the grey staff(although I think it may have been released as blk in the USA)

Wilson did produce and seem to produce every so often a cheap(er) racquet and brand it with what was once a model of quaility-Staff. They were all players rqts, although the cheapest was the Avenger, then the Aggressor, then Staff and finally the PS85. I used the Staff and like it then. The Select ranfge looks similar the above mentioned rqts but it was a different mould, slightly narrower at the throat and far more flexible.

Here in the UK the prices for the 4 rqts were something like - PS85 130; Staff 100; Aggressor 80 and Avenger 60. These were the prices around 1985-87.

Obviously the PS85 is one of the greatest frames. The others were bad either, although It dont think the Avenger was that great. Around the clubs I played at back then, the choice of rqt was the Aggressor because i) it was cheaper than the PS85 and ii) it looked like it."

Angi73, where are you in the UK and do you have more than 1 of these rqts? I'de been interested in them if you're willing to part with them.

Paul

AndrewD
05-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Just a note. The ProSelect was available out here in both grey and black with ProStaff piping. Different overall shape to it but a nice playing frame if you like low flex. Very underrated and one I used quite happily on the few occassions when my 200G's were out of action. The Staff was only available here in the ProStaff colouring. Had a shinier finish to it than the ProStaff and you'd definately feel the difference the minute you started hitting. Felt, to me, very ordinary whereas the ProSelect and ProStaff had quite unique 'feel'.

angi73
05-26-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm based in Kent/essex in the Uk depending upon whether im at uni. So this racket is as old as me then, :D

Sorry, ive only got one and i rather like it, although i bought a mint PS 6.6 tour 85 quite cheap which i am going to try.

Will keep the Staff (only have one) unless of course anyone wants to swap/part exchange it for a PS85 of some kind? :D

For me the staff is a revaltion after my I radical and Fire tour. I thought it felt quite nice so i got it restrung and voila. I think i might appreciate the extra stiffness of the PS85, plus it looks cooler :mrgreen:

There is a pro staff with a 125 sq inch head on **** right now, good god! That must be cumbersome.

Deuce
05-26-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't recall the names, and don't recall hitting with any of them (except the one we later came to know as the PS 6.0 85), but, as Skippy relates, I do remember there being a few racquets which seem to have shared the same mold as the PS 6.0 85.

Lakoste
06-06-2005, 11:04 AM
look at this Wilson staff, just like the one in the original post, but black

http://jiki.pbase.com/u12/xobies92/upload/42410674.Wilsonstaffmidsize.jpg