PDA

View Full Version : Babolat pure drive team ? whats the best string for this racket ?

newracketagain??
05-21-2005, 01:23 PM
id be very interested to hear what string people use with this racket ?id like some opinions before i get mine strung up!

Rafa Nadal
05-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Babolat Custom Hybrid (VS TEam/Pro Hurricane)
The best Srting i tried on the Pure Drive+ so much control and super power!
Or Pro Hurricane a good string too on the PD+

newracketagain??
05-21-2005, 02:11 PM
isnt that what roddick uses ??

how do you think wilson nxt would play ??

have u ever tried a hybirid with nxt 17 and stamina 16 ?

devwizard
05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes, I do believe that is Roddick's setup (VS/Hurricane). But even though VS IS nice, I hope you've got a good-sized bank account at $55 or so for a full set of VS.....

I personally use a PCZ but know lots of people who use the PD. Honestly, I don't know that I would recommend using just NXT or any soft synthetic for that matter, because the PD is such a topspin-friendly frame, you would go through something like that relatively fast.

You might try going with just a full set of Hurricane for durability and a soft poly, or for a cheaper alternative to a hybrid maybe an Xcel/Hurricane mix.

Speedy_tennis
05-21-2005, 06:08 PM
babolat custom+hybrid!

newracketagain??
05-21-2005, 08:10 PM
the xcel is basically wilson nxt ?

and the hurricane is absically wilson stamina ?

i have some spare nxt17 and staminda16haning around.. would that give a simular feel??

also how would natural gut play in this racket?

does anyone know what string nadal used in the pro drive when he used to play with it ???

mikemasonx
05-21-2005, 08:17 PM
hurricanes all the way baby

Match Point
05-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Babolat VS Team 17 Natural Gut!:p

kookie411
05-22-2005, 12:59 AM
It is not too smart to use what Roddick using ,he use the string for what.... 1 set or 2 then he cut it but most of us use till the end of the world ....hellooo

lidoazndiabloboi
05-22-2005, 02:22 AM
the babolat vs/hurricane hybrids are the best. if it is strung at the rite tension and is strung correctly, they are the best strings for a pd+. those strings are good till the vs+ breaks.

rooski
05-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Forget about what Roddick is using. The PD and PD+ are not very arm friendly as it is...putting a poly in that frame (even if it's only in the mains) is a recipe for tennis elbow or a wrist injury. Go with the premium multi, syn gut, or natural gut of your choice. My .02

Jonnyf
05-22-2005, 10:42 AM
roddick hybrid go for it

rulik
05-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Just use Gosen OG Sheep Micro or Prince SG 16,17. They are good all around strings and very cheap.

newracketagain??
05-22-2005, 12:15 PM
i used gosen in my pro staff zone and i just found it boreing and cheap ! it had no real ouuuuch to it ad i just thought it was poor compaitred to my nxt 17L,, whats u think o a nxt / stamina hybrid ?

deflori
05-22-2005, 02:48 PM
String it simple with a Babolat Polymono!
This String worked great with mine...

newracketagain??
05-22-2005, 02:50 PM
yeh but i guess if ud of tired something a bit more challenging and excviting iw might or worked better !

the pro hurricane and natural gut rodick combo sound sitneresting but i might try using x cel premium instead of nat gut !

Azza
05-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Mate... do not string PD's with Pro Hurricane... Dont use Pro Hurricane at all to be quite honest with you!!

Unless you want to kill your arm do so... PH is the best string for durability - worse for your arm!!!

Cant stress that enough... its a ***** to string yourself as well if thats what your doing... its like wire.... try Kirshbaum (Spiky or Turbo Touch), softer poly, not as durable but will go the distance! No arms issues with that string as well - fingers crossed!!!

matchpoints
05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
hurricanes all the way baby

I concur. 16g is what I use. Others guages break WAY too fast, especially the 18g. And oh, add some weight to that stick :)

newracketagain??
05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
im not going to add weight to it as i know little about adding wegiht and would just mess it up ! pro hurricane will shatter my elbows.. but i could get hurricane 18 and string looseley ? itd be sooo powerfull !!!!

tennis_prodigy
05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
That's BS! - Azza, are your arms made of straw or glass? I started using Pro hurricane last year and i've never had any problems with my elbow or wrist, and i string it pretty tight too (around 63/64)

matchpoints
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
im not going to add weight to it as i know little about adding wegiht and would just mess it up ! pro hurricane will shatter my elbows.. but i could get hurricane 18 and string looseley ? itd be sooo powerfull !!!!

I used to use Polymono's and switched to Hurricanes since they hold tension better, softer, and actually last me longer (for some reason).

I've tried using 18g of the PH. They're powerful alright but they MOVE like crazy in the PD. They also lasted me about 1 hour or so compared to the 16g that lasts me 6 - 8 hours.

I've got a reel of the 18g if you want to try out a set or something. Feel free to contact me.

Btw, adding weight is very easy. TW has great simple tutorials. It also makes it more fun. Customising is very fun :)

newracketagain??
05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
ive sent u an email ! :)

newracketagain??
05-23-2005, 05:05 PM
so.. ph 18 is powerfull and has great spin because its so thin... but howdoes it measure up for touch and feel? also how loose could i go with this on a opure drive ? 55 ?

newracketagain??
05-23-2005, 05:31 PM
basically.. the pure drive is a powerfull racket ! its great for power and spin so no matter what string i put in it it will have good power and spin..but i want something that will balance it with a bit of touch and feel ! price isnt a big isse but i dont want to start using gut as it will get incredibly expensive as a stringjob doesnt normally last more than a week or two ! and my string charges 10 a go ( $18 ) just for installing ! i was kinda thinking about trying stamina 16 mains with nxt 17 crosses ?

is this just a daft idea ? how would it play ??

winks
05-24-2005, 05:25 AM
I used to use Polymono's and switched to Hurricanes since they hold tension better, softer, and actually last me longer (for some reason).

I've been stringing my PD with Ballistic Polymono to tame some of the power. That stuff is very stiff and tough to string (like piano wire as a previous poster mentioned). It's tough on the arm too but it does tame some of the power in the racquet. It lasts a *long* time too - finally broke after months.

I just restrung with Babolat Pro Hurricane and honestly, noticed no difference from the Polymono. If anything, it seems even stiffer.

Azza
05-31-2005, 02:32 AM
That's BS! - Azza, are your arms made of straw or glass? I started using Pro hurricane last year and i've never had any problems with my elbow or wrist, and i string it pretty tight too (around 63/64)

BS... as according to whom... you? Its ironic that you praise it because I can tell you three people I know all of whom used it and all of whom have changed from it and no longer have the associated shoulder and arm problems they once did while using it. Thats what I find ironic.

Mate it makes no difference that you string it in your sledgehammer 110 at 63/64. I used to have it in my ipresitge mids at 62 and I can testify that I couldnt pick up a racquet for more than 2 months after prolonged use of that shi*t string.

Just go a softer poly. Cant go wrong

Gonzalez88
07-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi, i have only a little question............for you is better the hibrid pro hurricane + X-cel premium or Prohurricane + conquest( i don't have much money so i can't buy the babolat's gut).
If you can advice me a better hibrid i'll be glad!!

Thank you

Gonzalez88

hummer23
07-28-2006, 01:32 AM
i play with the pure drive plus, and until this week, i strung with signum poly plasma, everthing from 16-18, and i liked it. It had good control, low power, and lasted a long time. Now i jsut put some cheap syn gut in it, and im serving harder than i have in monthes. Its also a softer hit, and easier on the arm. I think the reduced string bite makes it easier to muscle the ball for me, and so i like it better. Its a good idea to try out some different stuff, starting with syn gut, and trying a poly like polymono, and maybe a hybrid. If none of that floats your boat, maybe work your way toward the more expensize multis, or cut hybrid with hurricane. The way i see it, because i string for myself, if i use a nice cheap syn gut, and pop it every 8-10 hours, i can always have a fresh strung feel, and pay like 2 bucks as set.

nautika721
07-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Just got my new PD+ w/ Cortex the other night. Had it strung M: 60 Pro Hurricane 17 X: 58 X-Cel Prem. 16. It's worked out amazing for me so far so I'd have to recommend that unless you want to go w/ a VS gut as the cross.

I think the multi in the cross definitely helps keep the ball on the court when hitting groundstrokes. I've had a lot of consistency keeping the ball on the court even with a big flat forehand and especially w/ topspin.

NamRanger
07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Hurricane and Gut breaks too much, I find that Gut with Luxilon lasts forever (I've still got Gut/Luxilon ALU Rough in my Tour 95, and it's been like 6 or 7 months since I restrung).