PDA

View Full Version : A paradigm for a better FH?

geo
02-23-2004, 02:14 PM
As I was searching for the right wrist movement in my FH, quite suddenly, a new (for me) paradigm regarding this groundstoke was born. My FH suffered a quantum leap of improvement in power, precision and consistency. Although I am quite sure I will not be starting a revolution in tennis I will try to describe it in some detail. :>))
Perhaps others would like to add some comments/feedback.

As the ball approaches and the shoulders turn press the racket gently into your palm and lift your elbow keeping a backwards angle in the wrist (I use a semi-western grip). No contraction of any of the wrist muscles/sinuses so far. Still keeping the angle of the wrist with your left hand start pushing the racket upwards starting a backward rotation. The racket is now facing to the right side of the court as it rotates backwards.
The centrifugal force on the racket keeps the backward angle of the wrist still without effort. As the racket arrives at the position where the but is facing the ball is perhaps the only moment when there is some minimal effort to keep the wrist angled because at this point you might want to slow down to fine-tune timing.
As you aim towards the ball the wrist is again kept backwards without effort as a natural result of the angular and linear acceleration of the racket. Just before contact the wrist is somehow released with a whip-like movement. It is not clear to me yet how this happens - but the wrist seems to uncoil just before contact.
Follow through relaxed...

Paradoxically one should think that the wrist movement (in contrast to a fixed wrist) is adding at least one more variable to the stroke equation and consistency should drop. But the opposite happens!!! I am not sure yet why. The explanation that seems reasonable to me right now is that with the "discovery" by the brain of this last link of the whip-like stroke (wrist) it begins to deal with the whole movement under a different paradigm. It deals with it as one compact whole (whip) instead of a sum of separate segments and consequently the number of parameters drop instead of increasing improving consistency and precision, not to mention power... and with less effort....more fun...

-geo-

Phil
02-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Introductory Physics, right?

Cypo
02-24-2004, 04:00 AM
I don't have any paradigms, but I can give you four nickels :-)

geo
02-24-2004, 05:51 AM
Phill, you mean the explaining the fact? Sure...

Could we swapp those niquels for a good new racket? :>))

And some more... it seems to me that even at the contact the wrist is somehow relaxed as if the racket was "hanging" freely in earths atmosphere.... :)