PDA

View Full Version : Parents sell house, split up to help daughter achieve dream of playing Olympic tennis

SuperFly
07-05-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1291657/Family-selling-splitting-girls-tennis-dream.html

Apparently this kid is going to be the next Sharapova. She doesn't have any rights to complain about anything ever again.

maverick66
07-05-2010, 09:12 PM
People need to stop caring about child prodigys. let them be kids and if they make it on tour great but leave them alone until they go on tour.

nfor304
07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
So ridiculous. If she's really such a sure thing why only a 30% discount at IMG? Surely if she is better than Sharapova was she can get a full ride at one of the other academies....

ProgressoR
07-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Ok first they are british so they deserve the respect of everyone on here.

However I cant help feeling this is setting the girl up for inglorious failure. And what does it say for the LTA who are supposed to be investing tons just to keep these kind of kids in the system in the UK?

And i think there is something not so holy about these parents, one of them has to be a monster and forced her into tennis at a young age and is living their dreams through her.....probably the mom I would say. You can tell by just looking at her.

cesarmo03
07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
what tennis academy´s are better? American academy´s or Spain academy´s?

Cindysphinx
07-06-2010, 11:44 AM
The parents need to go to "How To Drive A Hard Bargain" school.

Thirty percent off seems paltry to me.

r2473
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
So ridiculous. If she's really such a sure thing why only a 30% discount at IMG? Surely if she is better than Sharapova was she can get a full ride at one of the other academies....

IMG clearly doesn't think she will be hot enough. That is what really matters.

goober
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
The parents need to go to "How To Drive A Hard Bargain" school.

Thirty percent off seems paltry to me.

Yah I thought the true stars to be get full rides? If Nick B really thought she had as much talent as anybody since Sharipova she should get a full ride and he could easily make up the money from a percentage of her winnings.

flyinghippos101
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
#1. That's ridiculous
#2. As mentioned by others, real prodigies get in for free. Look at what happened to Andre

Dave M
07-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Knowing what the lta can be like and how many hoops must be jumped through i can see why they are doing this alone.However, 30% does not sound like a huge discount but i guess it could be thouands so you never know.Suppose to do that they must think she has some talent?

TennisCoachFLA
07-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, they are getting scammed by Nick. Free press for his business and the "30%" discount is his standard nonsense....they still make a profit off of her parents. By age 11 with the amazing girls they get full rides, Nick has about 5 girls that age on full rides. Sharapova did not pay a penny from age 9, in fact also got free housing and an allowance.

flyinghippos101
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Just be glad that these parents aren't on the forums trolling and how their kid is gonna become the next Roger Federer or Nadal. Periodically, that Deja kid's father troll the forums but for lols, people usually post her W/L record and admit that she'll never make it.

NickH87
07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Mikes going to cheat on his wife.

ramseszerg
07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Just be glad that these parents aren't on the forums trolling and how their kid is gonna become the next Roger Federer or Nadal. Periodically, that Deja kid's father troll the forums but for lols, people usually post her W/L record and admit that she'll never make it.

He does? Link?

slicefox
07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Mikes going to cheat on his wife.

rofl this is exactly what I was thinking reading the article

RealityPolice
07-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Splitting up is par for the course for the WTA. The number of top players whose families survive intact is very much a minority.

For many reasons, of course, but the toll tennis takes on WTA families is pretty heavy.

Dilettante
07-07-2010, 12:10 AM
They're obviously looking for American sponsors.

If not was the case, it would been much easier sending her to a Spanish academy, like Murray. But sure, the story would've not been so... touching, being less an hour from home.

What a nerve.

tennismonkey
07-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Ok first they are british so they deserve the respect of everyone on here.

hahahaa. yes yes. let's all take a minute to reflect on everything that is wonderful about the british.

okay. back to this story about two british parents who are trying to relive their own pathetic lives through their little girl.

Joe Average
07-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I did find this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_T0BfPdVTw

It was posted about a year ago. And it's confusing, because in the video Mia's mother seems to be saying that Mia did get a full scholarship to attend Bollettieri. If that's the case, I'm not sure where the 30% came from. As for Mia's talent ... I don't know. I've seen better one-hand backhands. But probably not from a ten-year-old. The ABBA music was mixed a little too hot ... and a little too much. Then again, any ABBA music is too much.

I admit I was a little skeptical after reading the article. I felt the same way after reading posts on these boards from Jan Silva's father and Deja's father. But when these kids succeed, we forget what got them there. I read an article in the NYTimes years ago about these two sisters from California who were being pushed by their father to become tennis pros. He would make them run on sand wearing combat boots. Of course we know them as Venus and Serena Williams. There was one good comment to the article on Mia Smith. Someone from Wiltshire wrote:

"If she succeeds her parents will be happy that they made these sacrifices. However, should she fail, they still have the comfort that they did all they possibly could. Far better than forever wondering what might have been."

And to that, I have no answer.

tball2day
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Wrong forum, sorry folks.

Agent Orynge
08-24-2011, 04:57 AM
All this fuss over women's tennis? Who cares.

Manus Domini
08-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Well, it would be two great things:
A Brit actually wins a slam
a 1hander actually emerges :)